HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part XXIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 09:23 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
A couple of things, I don't know what Boston will do. They have been gooning alot lately (definitely more then they did last season).

But historically, easily if you go back 20 years, the toughest team in the leauge will have not won anything. Why is that? I think its pretty simple. You get a rep as being bad, 29 other teams will be prepaired for it on a nightly basis. Even if you push them around, they might up their physical game 5-10%. And in the long run, 82 games per season year after year, that will lead to a ton of injuries. Just look at a team like Philly over the last 10 years. Haven't like almost every single one of their biggest names been hurt sooner or later? From Lindros to Primaue to Gagne to Pronger and many many others. Boston will have to be on their toes against Buffalo every game this season. And against Montreal. And so forth. Every time they play those teams, they will face their own fair share of cheap shots too. And that will wear and tear on them.

And anyone who remember those Ottawa-Toronto-Islanders series knows what I am talking about. Like Toronto/Ottawa played a heck of a series against each other, but whatever team won lost like 50% of their roster and was sent packing the round after.

I would actually be suprised if Boston would want to have that type of games in the regular season against us too. Like they can run Hank/Gabby if they want, but then we would be looking for casualities too. And while Boston looks unbeatable right now -- the teams with the most firepower in the east are struggling alot. Pittsburg. Washington. Tampa. And so forth. Boston has yet to play like a Pittsburg team fireing on all cylinders.
The Ducks won it as the toughest team. Led the league in fighting majors. The league had a trend after that of building teams in that style. We were leading the league in fighting majors at one point this season as well.

You still make a decent point. Short term, Boston's biggest problem yesterday was all the penalty kills, especially the major, and having Lucic and Marchand ejected. That's just stupid.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
We were still leading the league in fighting majors going into yesterday. Hits as well.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
We were still leading the league in fighting majors going into yesterday. Hits as well.
Which makes me laugh. People tout Boston for their physical play yet the lowly Rangers are ignored or sold short in that area.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Which makes me laugh. People tout Boston for their physical play yet the lowly Rangers are ignored or sold short in that area.
Well I think there's a difference to it. Fighting, IMO doesn't prove team toughness (unless there seems to be an overwhelming number of players on the roster who do it). It more proves you have certain individuals who are willing to stand up for their teammates, which is needed. If you watch Boston's games you see pushing and shoving and scrums after more than half the whistles it seems. It just seems like every player on that roster has a chip on their shoulder and always has something to say. The Rangers are not that type of team. I do think that they have done a great job of increasing their edge this year, which I think is necessary. They've done a much better job sticking up for Hank this season when guys bump him. In fact, I was laughing watching the Pens game because Staal seemed extremely surly and was getting into scrums and throwing big hits. One of my knocks with Staal has always been I want him to be tougher around the crease and have a little bit of a mean streak. His timid personality doesn't seem to change on the ice. Then Friday night he was doing it and I was like Nooooooooooo Marrrrrrrrrcccccccccccc not when you come back from a concussionnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The Bruins are dirty. That's why people look at them the way they do.

I remember when Marchand was punching one of the Sedin's in the face with his glove. That's not the Sedin's being soft, that's Marchand being a dirtbag punk. I really don't like that guy.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I'd also like to point out the difference between HARD hits and hits that have no lasting effect. Sure the Rangers hit a lot, but it's not really hitting, more like finishing a check. The only real physical and tough player's on the roster imo are Prust, Rupp and Dubinsky and Dubinsky is borderline. We have an extremely soft defensive corps, not one real tough REGULAR lineup guy outside of Bickle, and he won't be playing much or at all once Sauer returns. McD hasn't shown any kind of mean streak yet, but I guess that could change.
So imo we don't even come close to being a tough, physically pounding type team like Boston, Philly etc. Just one that finishes checks.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I'd also like to point out the difference between HARD hits and hits that have no lasting effect. Sure the Rangers hit a lot, but it's not really hitting, more like finishing a check. The only real physical and tough player's on the roster imo are Prust, Rupp and Dubinsky and Dubinsky is borderline. We have an extremely soft defensive corps, not one real tough REGULAR lineup guy outside of Bickle, and he won't be playing much or at all once Sauer returns. McD hasn't shown any kind of mean streak yet, but I guess that could change.
So imo we don't even come close to being a tough, physically pounding type team like Boston, Philly etc. Just one that finishes checks.
If Philly is tough, then we're tough. No way are they more physical then us.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Well I think there's a difference to it. Fighting, IMO doesn't prove team toughness (unless there seems to be an overwhelming number of players on the roster who do it). It more proves you have certain individuals who are willing to stand up for their teammates, which is needed. If you watch Boston's games you see pushing and shoving and scrums after more than half the whistles it seems. It just seems like every player on that roster has a chip on their shoulder and always has something to say. The Rangers are not that type of team. I do think that they have done a great job of increasing their edge this year, which I think is necessary. They've done a much better job sticking up for Hank this season when guys bump him. In fact, I was laughing watching the Pens game because Staal seemed extremely surly and was getting into scrums and throwing big hits. One of my knocks with Staal has always been I want him to be tougher around the crease and have a little bit of a mean streak. His timid personality doesn't seem to change on the ice. Then Friday night he was doing it and I was like Nooooooooooo Marrrrrrrrrcccccccccccc not when you come back from a concussionnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Agreed. The Rangers don't generally initiate scrums and goonery. But, they don't shy away from it either. We have a handful of guys who will jump in and protect team mates but clearly play a smarter more disciplined game than the Broons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The Bruins are dirty. That's why people look at them the way they do.

I remember when Marchand was punching one of the Sedin's in the face with his glove. That's not the Sedin's being soft, that's Marchand being a dirtbag punk. I really don't like that guy.
He is a ***** absolutely. Only thing I will give him credit for is he doesn't ***** out a lot I can't stand that. Kaleta still annoys me more.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Disagree. I think Sauer is pretty tough. Also disagree on the "big hits vs. finishing checks" theory as well. Big hits are great don't get me wrong, but hitting or bumping into everything that moves is far more effective than trying to run everyone IMHO. That's how you wear teams down without risk of hurting yourself. Keep rubbing guys out in the corners and pretty soon they are looking over their shoulders every time the puck goes in the corner.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Disagree. I think Sauer is pretty tough. Also disagree on the "big hits vs. finishing checks" theory as well. Big hits are great don't get me wrong, but hitting or bumping into everything that moves is far more effective than trying to run everyone IMHO. That's how you wear teams down without risk of hurting yourself. Keep rubbing guys out in the corners and pretty soon they are looking over their shoulders every time the puck goes in the corner.
I guess we agree then to an extent. My only point being the Rangers are more likely to win the war, not the fight. I'm all for finishing checks and disrupting flow, just don't confuse it with physicality. I agree with Sauer, he will drop the gloves on occasion, but I don't like to see it due to his shoulder issues, the wrestling, tugging and pulling really puts him at risk. I think you'd actually see him muck it up more minus the shoulder issues...

Old
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-MDZ
Streit-Hamonic

Stralman and Bickel have been great so far, but come on.
Hamonic looks like a career 5-6 to me. Streit was just hoirrible last night and I understand he's been bad all year. Forgetting Sauer aren't you?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
gluvhand

Anybody else catch Brier's "love tap" to Turris's nads and then playing the victim when Turris gave him some back? Is being a d****e mandatory when you become a Flyer?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Levitate

Jordan Staal is out 4-6 weeks, and Neal broke his foot and is out "weeks"

Pittsburgh is completely screwed

Old
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Jordan Staal is out 4-6 weeks, and Neal broke his foot and is out "weeks"

Pittsburgh is completely screwed
Neal too. Really? Holy ****.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Wow, Neal too? I don't feel any sympathy for that organization, but man, that sucks.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Pissed off, there goes my second best goal scorer on my fantasy team after Gaborik

Old
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Hamonic looks like a career 5-6 to me. Streit was just hoirrible last night and I understand he's been bad all year. Forgetting Sauer aren't you?
Hamonic's having a great year. Streit is still better than a Stralman or Eminger.

Plus Sauer's an unknown with his injury.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Let's see how the Penguins deal with these injuries. They got past Crosby's last year, now Crosby, Letang, Neal, and Staal out. This is the ultimate test for that team.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Ottawa Ghost at his best This is ****ing hilarious

Old
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Why the hell would you think that? Seriously? Gaborik's countryman, Chara, who is so close to Gabby that he had him at his wedding, is going to intentionally end his season? The Bruins play rough and dirty, but get a grip. Think before you post this stuff.
When did I say 'intentionally'? Heck Gaborik almost hurt himself after scoring that breakaway goal against the Flyers. Of course I'd be concerned about his health in this game.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
When did I say 'intentionally'? Heck Gaborik almost hurt himself after scoring that breakaway goal against the Flyers. Of course I'd be concerned about his health in this game.
He didn't almost hurt himself after scoring, he got slashed on the shoulder after he shot the puck, that's why he went down and was holding his shoulder.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
A couple of things, I don't know what Boston will do. They have been gooning alot lately (definitely more then they did last season).

But historically, easily if you go back 20 years, the toughest team in the leauge will have not won anything. Why is that? I think its pretty simple. You get a rep as being bad, 29 other teams will be prepaired for it on a nightly basis. Even if you push them around, they might up their physical game 5-10%. And in the long run, 82 games per season year after year, that will lead to a ton of injuries. Just look at a team like Philly over the last 10 years. Haven't like almost every single one of their biggest names been hurt sooner or later? From Lindros to Primaue to Gagne to Pronger and many many others. Boston will have to be on their toes against Buffalo every game this season. And against Montreal. And so forth. Every time they play those teams, they will face their own fair share of cheap shots too. And that will wear and tear on them.

And anyone who remember those Ottawa-Toronto-Islanders series knows what I am talking about. Like Toronto/Ottawa played a heck of a series against each other, but whatever team won lost like 50% of their roster and was sent packing the round after.

I would actually be suprised if Boston would want to have that type of games in the regular season against us too. Like they can run Hank/Gabby if they want, but then we would be looking for casualities too. And while Boston looks unbeatable right now -- the teams with the most firepower in the east are struggling alot. Pittsburg. Washington. Tampa. And so forth. Boston has yet to play like a Pittsburg team fireing on all cylinders.
You never know though, I'm sure the Bruins will try to take advantage of other top teams like the Rangers with their physicality. Hopefully the Rangers don't fall into the after-whistle bull**** we saw in the finals.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Pissed off, there goes my second best goal scorer on my fantasy team after Gaborik
Haha, that's why I was pissed off, too. Really, the Penguins' line up is so injury depleted its not even funny anymore. There should be no excuses when we play them.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Let's see how the Penguins deal with these injuries. They got past Crosby's last year, now Crosby, Letang, Neal, and Staal out. This is the ultimate test for that team.
They're screwed. They were already struggling before this and now Staal and Neal are out...the Devils passed them last night in the standings and are going to stay ahead of them for the rest of the season IMO unless Crosby suddenly comes back this week along with Letang and they carry the team on their backs

It's a crappy, unfortunate season for Pittsburgh but pretty much a lost season at this point

Old
01-08-2012, 01:03 PM
OverTheCap

Marchand's clipping penalty reminded me of Darcy Tucker's low bridge on Mike Peca. Ruined his knee and his career was never the same. Bruins got too dirty and undisciplined and it cost them in the end.

Closed Thread