HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part XXIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM
  #876
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,415
vCash: 500
Buffalo is flatlining. They blew a 2-0 lead right away, tied with scrub Toronto 2-2. A loss tonight makes them 8 out of 1st.

Ruff will get fired. Screw the extension talk. They go on a massive road swing soon.

Dead men walking

GWOW is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
  #877
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
Well, they probably have the best group of shot-blockers in the league. That's the Rangers identity; they completely collapse around the net. If this were an argument about defense, I'm sure you'd be going on about how thin you thought the Bruins blueline is after Chara. The Rangers don't have that number one guy, but you'd be lying to yourself if you said they don't play as a very cohesive group in front of Lundqvist.
So you're going to come to the Rangers forum and spout every one of the generic, depthless talking points that "informed" commentators like Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuire make on national broadcasts, and you expect Ranger fans to say what in response?

That's the Rangers identity in the eyes of people who watched the Winter Classic and occasionally catch a game here and there. Watch a few more Ranger games, and then come back with an updated sense of who the Rangers are as a team. And I happen to think Boston's blueline, behind Chara, is underrated.

There is no denying that the Rangers, as a team, are a boon to their goaltender (just as is the case with the Bruins and ANY good team). In the Rangers case, shot blocking is hardly the extent of it, or even the crux of it. In fact, having watched Lunqvist for the duration of his NHL career, and having seen a number of his performances as a young star in the Swedish League, I wish the Rangers would block less shots. Lundqvist doesn't really need the help.

Quote:
Please. The Bruins are simply on another level. This is a team that's been built as a well-oiled machine through shrewd moves and great drafting, great coaching decisions, and, most importantly, through going through failures as a team. The mental make-up of this team was weak as ever before the Flyers collapse, but, after going through that failure, they simply never take their foot off the gas. It was a mixture of skill and luck to get this team into the position it is now, but really, they're as close to unbeatable as a team can be because of it.
Ah, more generic, depthless rhetoric.

I have nothing disparaging to say about the Bruins. Great team, EXCELLENT GM, good coach, a lot of players I personally like. In fact, I'm probably a rarity around here in that I'm not a Boston hater, and I actually find myself rooting for the Bruins often. I think the Bruins are very likely the best team in the NHL today (with Crosby on the shelf, anyway).

I just don't think they're that much better than the Rangers (or the Blackhawks, Sharks, Red Wings, Canucks, and Blues, for that matter).

Quote:
Phenomenal??? How in the world can you consider that phenomenal?
Probably because I actually watched those games, and you probably didn't.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
  #878
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Defunct team? They were the higher seed.

He was also the main guy for beating the Devils in the playoffs and kept the series close against the Penguins that year. His defense never had a Chara playing half the game in front of him either, which is huge for the success of a goalie. Just now the emergence of Girardi as a shutdown guy is allowing the team to rely much less than Lundqvist of past.

Lundqvist never had home ice advantage in his career in the playoffs.
The Southeast Division Champs pre-Capitals dominance and their first playoffs appearance. Not exactly impressive. You're also arguing keeping first and second round series "close" vs. a record setting conn Smythe run. Unbelievable.

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 08:32 PM
  #879
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
The Southeast Division Champs pre-Capitals dominance and their first playoffs appearance. Not exactly impressive. You're also arguing keeping first and second round series "close" vs. a record setting conn Smythe run. Unbelievable.
Who was the first team to win the cup post-lockout?

Besides I never compared Lundqvist's playoff resume to Thomas's conn smythe run. Work on your reading comprehension.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
  #880
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
So you're going to come to the Rangers forum and spout every one of the generic, depthless talking points that "informed" commentators like Mike Milbury and Pierre McGuire make on national broadcasts, and you expect Ranger fans to say what in response?

That's the Rangers identity in the eyes of people who watched the Winter Classic and occasionally catch a game here and there. Watch a few more Ranger games, and then come back with an updated sense of who the Rangers are as a team. And I happen to think Boston's blueline, behind Chara, is underrated.

There is no denying that the Rangers, as a team, are a boon to their goaltender (just as is the case with the Bruins and ANY good team). In the Rangers case, shot blocking is hardly the extent of it, or even the crux of it. In fact, having watched Lunqvist for the duration of his NHL career, and having seen a number of his performances as a young star in the Swedish League, I wish the Rangers would block less shots. Lundqvist doesn't really need the help.

Ah, more generic, depthless rhetoric.

I have nothing disparaging to say about the Bruins. Great team, EXCELLENT GM, good coach, a lot of players I personally like. In fact, I'm probably a rarity around here in that I'm not a Boston hater, and I actually find myself rooting for the Bruins often. I think the Bruins are very likely the best team in the NHL today (with Crosby on the shelf, anyway).

I just don't think they're that much better than the Rangers (or the Blackhawks, Sharks, Red Wings, Canucks, and Blues, for that matter).

Probably because I actually watched those games, and you probably didn't.
Yeah, shot clocking has nothing to do with it. Every time I see the Rangers, they completely collapse around Lundqvist. If I'm missing out on the Rangers identity, describe it to me. Is it just a bunch of pylons + Lundqvist?

And again, saying those teams actually compare to the Bruins is fine, if you back it up. How are the Bruins not in a league of their own? I could tell you why, but I'm interested to hear from you.

And maybe my bar is set too high for judging phenomenal performances. Record breaking Conn Smythe performances can do that to you.


Last edited by Sheer Con*: 01-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
  #881
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Who was the first team to win the cup post-lockout?
A team that dominated the league when teams were figuring the rules out, not a team that scraped by by dominating their weak division.

Quote:
Besides I never compared Lundqvist's playoff resume to Thomas's conn smythe run. Work on your reading comprehension.
Why mention it then?

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
  #882
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
Yeah, shot clocking has nothing to do with it. Every time I see the Rangers, they completely collapse around Lundqvist. If I'm missing out on the Rangers identity, describe it to me. Is it just a bunch of pylons + Lundqvist?
Excellent team defense. Tremendous efficiency. Elite positioning defensively. Board play up there with any team in the league. Above average defensive forwards like Prust, Fedotenko, an increasingly improving Hagelin, Stepan, Dubinsky, a significantly above average defensive forward in Anisimov, and one of the best defensive forwards in the league in Callahan. Many things, you'll notice, that you can also say about the Bruins.

Quote:
And again, saying those teams actually compare to the Bruins is fine, if you back it up. How are the Bruins not in a league of their own?
Probably because the Bruins aren't even first in the standings. The Rangers, you'll note are. That's despite the fact that the Rangers have played virtually the entire season without their number one defenseman, Marc Staal, and about half the season at this point without a top 4 defenseman in Michael Sauer, while the Bruins have had hardly any injuries this season.

Vancouver and the Rangers both have more points than the Bruins (granted, the Bruins have one in hand on the Rangers), and Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit, along with St. Louis, are all only 2 points behind, at the most. So even if the Bruins were in first place, which they are not, how are they in a league of their own, if 6 other teams are all right there with them in the standings?

You should probably take your own advice and start backing up your own claims.

Quote:
And maybe my bar is set too high for judging phenomenal performances. Record breaking Conn Smythe performances can do that to you.
So does blatant homerism and a penchant for bragging. That probably will lead you to try and make absurdly ridiculous comparisons between goaltender performances on Stanley Cup caliber squads with goaltender performances on Draft Lottery-caliber squad, as well.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
  #883
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,976
vCash: 500
Sabres TV ratings down 66% in the first three games since the New Year (and loss of MSG on TWC)

Anyone have the numbers for Rangers, Devils, Isles, Knicks?

Pominville puts them up 3-2, and a mere 20,000 households in the Buffalo area see it.

silverfish is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 09:14 PM
  #884
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
...
What bother me about you is that you say you are "baffled" that some of us think that we can compete with the Bruins. I happen to think that the Bruins are the best team in the league, but unbeatable, no.

"Baffled".. You do know that your team went to three game 7's the past playoffs? That is teams competing you. Why is it so hard to believe that the Rangers can compete?

Faxius is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
  #885
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
If I went to the Bruins board and posted incessantly by using this troll's posts verbatim, I guarantee I would get an infraction. Isn't this spamming at some point? Trolling? We let rookie posters do this now?

Lundqvist is the first goalie with 6 straight 30 wins seasons to start a career. Lundqvist started his career with 3 straight vezina nominations. First ever. Olympic gold. Thomas silver from the bench where he belonged... maybe, or maybe Quick should have gone instead. Lundqivst dominated the SEL in his early 20s while Thomas toiled in his late 20s in the what, Finish league... wow, shiver me timbers. I can't believe we have to defend something as accepted as Lundqvist's place amongst the game's elite, to a rookie troll spammer of all posters.

Or maybe we can just completely cater to one single rookie poster who might just go away if he hears what he wants to hear:

Yes sherr kahn, Thomas is the bestest ever to ever ever play the game. Lundqvist is a joke, a mirage fabricated by the system. The Rangers cannot seriously compete with the Bruins. Thank you for being so generous so as to imply that we might have the slimmest of "Miracle on Ice" chances of beating the Bruins 1 out of 10 playoff best of seven series. You are too kind. Thomas is the chuck norris of goalies, Thomas didn't suck for 10 years, he was lying in wait to take the NHL by storm, 56 games a season because 57 would be unsportsmanlike.

DutchShamrock is online now  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:06 PM
  #886
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Excellent team defense. Tremendous efficiency. Elite positioning defensively. Board play up there with any team in the league. Above average defensive forwards like Prust, Fedotenko, an increasingly improving Hagelin, Stepan, Dubinsky, a significantly above average defensive forward in Anisimov, and one of the best defensive forwards in the league in Callahan. Many things, you'll notice, that you can also say about the Bruins.
So where's the part about Lundqvist being so much better because the Bruins defense just covers up for Thomas?

Quote:
Probably because the Bruins aren't even first in the standings. The Rangers, you'll note are. That's despite the fact that the Rangers have played virtually the entire season without their number one defenseman, Marc Staal, and about half the season at this point without a top 4 defenseman in Michael Sauer, while the Bruins have had hardly any injuries this season.

Vancouver and the Rangers both have more points than the Bruins (granted, the Bruins have one in hand on the Rangers), and Chicago, Philadelphia and Detroit, along with St. Louis, are all only 2 points behind, at the most. So even if the Bruins were in first place, which they are not, how are they in a league of their own, if 6 other teams are all right there with them in the standings?

You should probably take your own advice and start backing up your own claims.
Haha, sure look at the standings where Boston started 3-7 and not dig a bit deeper. Well, here's some news for you. The Bruins have literally been in every game this season. They do not and cannot get blown out anymore. Here's a little look at their losses this year.

1-goal losses (including OT/SO): 7
2-goal losses (including an empty-netter): 3
2-goal losses: 1
3-goal losses: 1

A three goal loss??? Oh no! Oh wait, it was a gong show game where the Bruins got scored on on two 5-on-3s being down by one in the mid third. This team is as consistent as possible, and they simply don't have off-nights, or, rather, if they do, they still pretty much always win, or give the other team fits. And the thing is that it was much of the same last year as well. I'm sure you've had games where you say "Oh man, what a brutal game by the Rangers tonight. We can't win playing like that." That doesn't happen with the Bruins. And I don't think I have to make a comment about how many teams they absolutely wreck.

But I'd also be happy to dig a bit deeper into the make-up of the Bruins to show you why they're so good.

First and foremost, you have to mention the offensive depth. Man, oh man! They don't have superstar offensive players (although Seguin will be there soon enough) and they don't need them. They roll three offensive lines out that can bury the puck at any time. But, not only that, but every single line is incredibly reliable defensively.

Delving into each line individually, you see the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line that dominates on boards play and in the transition game. They are not the fastest line, but they are one of the most adept lines in the league at working the puck up ice in short, crisp passes due to their remarkable chemistry.

Then you have the Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin line that can beat you in many ways. Bergeron and Marchand own the play along the boards by being masters of creating space for each other, and Seguin floats to the open areas of the ice for offensive opportunities. Not to mention that Seguin is an absolutely massive threat in the transition game, and his speed coming down the wing is a huge threat coupled with Bergeron's vision.

Next you have the Pouliot-Kelly-Peverley line. This line has a very unique dynamic. One part is that they have somehow developed amazing chemistry with each other when they haven't played together for very long. Peverley is what makes this line go. He is INCREDIBLY shifty and is a master at drawing players into him and finding the open man. Kelly is just a remarkably sound player. He does everything you could ask a player to do and provides underrated passing and shooting skills. In Pouliot, you have a guy with limited offensive tools, but, with credit to Claude Julien, he has turned his game into a kamikaze of sorts. He's all over the ice at all times and creates tremendous pressure on the other team.

And last but not least, you have the hands down best 4th line in the league. The energy line. In one corner you have one of the only enforcers who can actually play hockey in Thornton. You have the PK specialist (although he has hands of stone) Paille, and then the do-it-all player in Campbell. Their job isn't to score, but they have been known to chip in at a far higher rate than any other 4th line. And with Paille and Campbell, their line can even double as a checking line (as if they need it, as the Bergeron and Kelly lines are "checking lines" anyways).

How can you defend against that offense? Who do you try to shut down? Who do you try to exploit defensively? True, the Krejci line is the weakest defensively (although they still are decent defensively overall) but they make up for that by being one of the most dominant puck possession lines in the league. Every line can play any role, yet they each have unique characteristics that blend together perfectly on both an offensive and defensive level. And the BIGGEST defensive asset that the Bruins have is their forecheck. Lots of times teams just don't know what to do with it. They'll cough it up to the first man in, or else get caught up in the clogged neutral zone, where the Bruins have perfected the quick transition game.

Now the defense... Chara. What needs to be said about him? The best blueliner in the league. He's a horse and he expells any doubt about "What would happen to the Bruins if chara went down..." by keeping himself in the best shape in the league. Another upside to Chara is that his defense partner automatically looks amazing. This is usually Johnny Boychuk. Boychuk is a solid player (with a huge shot and a big physical presence), but when he plays with Chara, he easily assumes the ability to be able to defend against the league's best because of the ground Chara can cover, and Chara's presence in the defensive zone.

Next you have the second key to the Bruins defense: Dennis Seidenberg. He is a horse that is capable of going toe to toe with the league's best night in night out. This is where the true luxury of the Bruins defense makes itself apparent. If a team has one primary line that must be focused on to shut down, these two can be paired up for one of the best shutdown duos in the league. If they're facing a more balanced attack, they can be split up and not miss a beat.

When you look at the remaining defensemen in Ference and McQuaid, you have to very reliable defensive players. Nothing flashy, and not much offensive spark (although Ference has been good this year), but they ensure reliability. This helps because the other defenseman, Corvo, has alot of his defensive lapses masked by the other defensively reliable members of his team. As the second best offensive defenseman the Bruins have, it's key to have him in the lineup, mainly for the PP.

I don't think I have to say too much about goalies. I've argued enough on Thomas here, and Rask could probably be a starter on 25+ teams in the league.

Now, special teams. PK... yeah, pretty much any forward can do it. Bergeron, Marchand, Kelly, Peverley, Paille, and Campbell are all fantastic at it, and Krejci and (when he's in the lineup) Caron can do it as well. On defense they're heavily reliant on Chara, but, after that, Seidenberg, Boychuk and Ference are great PKers as well. McQuaid can do it if called upon as well.

For the PP... This was horrendous last year but it is much improved this year. Firstly, Peverley manning the point. They were reliant on forcing Bergeron to play the point last year, and the years before that, but he's much more effective at battling down low and getting pucks back to the point. With Peverley's shiftiness on the point, he's capable of drawing players in and finding the open man. Secondly, they have stuck to the regular lines, which allows for the chemistry to take over. This also means increased time for Seguin and Marchand for the PP, who are two of their more dangerous offensive players. And lastly, Corvo has been a great addition on the point. Seidenberg just was not cut out to be a first option on the PP. With Peverley shifting up to play with Chara, Seidenberg and Corvo form a great second duo.

Oh, but I'm not done yet. That just describes how the team is built. What is a huge key to the Bruins success is their mindset. I've already mentioned before how growing together through failure has made this group very resiliant, along with never giving up at any point, regardless of how much they lead by.

And I'm sure you've heard of the Bruins toughness... Yes, I bet you're cowering from it because they haven't played the Rangers yet. Well, let me tell you that it is very real, and it doesn't take much for them to go off. If you want to try to match their intensity, they'll just beat you down. If you try to avoid it, the Bruins will just wear them down and beat them through skill. And there's not one player you can pick on, because the Bruins will jump on you for anything. They have the best and deepest set of fighters in the league, and more or less every player on hte team plays with a physical edge. the rare ones who don't are fully protected by their teammates.

Can the over-bearing physicality catch up with them? Rarely. This has happened twice this season in one of the Carolina games (their only three-goal loss) and the Vancouver game, but both games were reffed very tightly. A thing about Playoff hockey is that the refs let alot more stuff go. This bodes extraordinarily well for the best 5-on-5 team in ages.

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:09 PM
  #887
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
If I went to the Bruins board and posted incessantly by using this troll's posts verbatim, I guarantee I would get an infraction. Isn't this spamming at some point? Trolling? We let rookie posters do this now?

Lundqvist is the first goalie with 6 straight 30 wins seasons to start a career. Lundqvist started his career with 3 straight vezina nominations. First ever. Olympic gold. Thomas silver from the bench where he belonged... maybe, or maybe Quick should have gone instead. Lundqivst dominated the SEL in his early 20s while Thomas toiled in his late 20s in the what, Finish league... wow, shiver me timbers. I can't believe we have to defend something as accepted as Lundqvist's place amongst the game's elite, to a rookie troll spammer of all posters.

Or maybe we can just completely cater to one single rookie poster who might just go away if he hears what he wants to hear:

Yes sherr kahn, Thomas is the bestest ever to ever ever play the game. Lundqvist is a joke, a mirage fabricated by the system. The Rangers cannot seriously compete with the Bruins. Thank you for being so generous so as to imply that we might have the slimmest of "Miracle on Ice" chances of beating the Bruins 1 out of 10 playoff best of seven series. You are too kind. Thomas is the chuck norris of goalies, Thomas didn't suck for 10 years, he was lying in wait to take the NHL by storm, 56 games a season because 57 would be unsportsmanlike.
What have I said that's trolling? I'd be happy to back up my team. LOL at using Thomas' pre-NHL career as an argument.

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
  #888
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxius View Post
What bother me about you is that you say you are "baffled" that some of us think that we can compete with the Bruins. I happen to think that the Bruins are the best team in the league, but unbeatable, no.

"Baffled".. You do know that your team went to three game 7's the past playoffs? That is teams competing you. Why is it so hard to believe that the Rangers can compete?
I've said that crazy things can happen, so the Rangers might be able to squeak out a series win, but the odds are pretty highly stacked up against them to do that. Baffled is a strong word, but I would be very surprised to say the least.

The fact that people think Lundqvist is a better goalie really is baffling though.

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
  #889
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,391
vCash: 500
Man you could sail a boat across the Atlantic with that post.

I don't watch the Bruins nearly enough, beyond highlights, to know the nuances of there team. I'll have a more informed opinion once the rangers play the bruins in a week.

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
  #890
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
So where's the part about Lundqvist being so much better because the Bruins defense just covers up for Thomas?



Haha, sure look at the standings where Boston started 3-7 and not dig a bit deeper. Well, here's some news for you. The Bruins have literally been in every game this season. They do not and cannot get blown out anymore. Here's a little look at their losses this year.

1-goal losses (including OT/SO): 7
2-goal losses (including an empty-netter): 3
2-goal losses: 1
3-goal losses: 1

A three goal loss??? Oh no! Oh wait, it was a gong show game where the Bruins got scored on on two 5-on-3s being down by one in the mid third. This team is as consistent as possible, and they simply don't have off-nights, or, rather, if they do, they still pretty much always win, or give the other team fits. And the thing is that it was much of the same last year as well. I'm sure you've had games where you say "Oh man, what a brutal game by the Rangers tonight. We can't win playing like that." That doesn't happen with the Bruins. And I don't think I have to make a comment about how many teams they absolutely wreck.

But I'd also be happy to dig a bit deeper into the make-up of the Bruins to show you why they're so good.

First and foremost, you have to mention the offensive depth. Man, oh man! They don't have superstar offensive players (although Seguin will be there soon enough) and they don't need them. They roll three offensive lines out that can bury the puck at any time. But, not only that, but every single line is incredibly reliable defensively.

Delving into each line individually, you see the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line that dominates on boards play and in the transition game. They are not the fastest line, but they are one of the most adept lines in the league at working the puck up ice in short, crisp passes due to their remarkable chemistry.

Then you have the Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin line that can beat you in many ways. Bergeron and Marchand own the play along the boards by being masters of creating space for each other, and Seguin floats to the open areas of the ice for offensive opportunities. Not to mention that Seguin is an absolutely massive threat in the transition game, and his speed coming down the wing is a huge threat coupled with Bergeron's vision.

Next you have the Pouliot-Kelly-Peverley line. This line has a very unique dynamic. One part is that they have somehow developed amazing chemistry with each other when they haven't played together for very long. Peverley is what makes this line go. He is INCREDIBLY shifty and is a master at drawing players into him and finding the open man. Kelly is just a remarkably sound player. He does everything you could ask a player to do and provides underrated passing and shooting skills. In Pouliot, you have a guy with limited offensive tools, but, with credit to Claude Julien, he has turned his game into a kamikaze of sorts. He's all over the ice at all times and creates tremendous pressure on the other team.

And last but not least, you have the hands down best 4th line in the league. The energy line. In one corner you have one of the only enforcers who can actually play hockey in Thornton. You have the PK specialist (although he has hands of stone) Paille, and then the do-it-all player in Campbell. Their job isn't to score, but they have been known to chip in at a far higher rate than any other 4th line. And with Paille and Campbell, their line can even double as a checking line (as if they need it, as the Bergeron and Kelly lines are "checking lines" anyways).

How can you defend against that offense? Who do you try to shut down? Who do you try to exploit defensively? True, the Krejci line is the weakest defensively (although they still are decent defensively overall) but they make up for that by being one of the most dominant puck possession lines in the league. Every line can play any role, yet they each have unique characteristics that blend together perfectly on both an offensive and defensive level. And the BIGGEST defensive asset that the Bruins have is their forecheck. Lots of times teams just don't know what to do with it. They'll cough it up to the first man in, or else get caught up in the clogged neutral zone, where the Bruins have perfected the quick transition game.

Now the defense... Chara. What needs to be said about him? The best blueliner in the league. He's a horse and he expells any doubt about "What would happen to the Bruins if chara went down..." by keeping himself in the best shape in the league. Another upside to Chara is that his defense partner automatically looks amazing. This is usually Johnny Boychuk. Boychuk is a solid player (with a huge shot and a big physical presence), but when he plays with Chara, he easily assumes the ability to be able to defend against the league's best because of the ground Chara can cover, and Chara's presence in the defensive zone.

Next you have the second key to the Bruins defense: Dennis Seidenberg. He is a horse that is capable of going toe to toe with the league's best night in night out. This is where the true luxury of the Bruins defense makes itself apparent. If a team has one primary line that must be focused on to shut down, these two can be paired up for one of the best shutdown duos in the league. If they're facing a more balanced attack, they can be split up and not miss a beat.

When you look at the remaining defensemen in Ference and McQuaid, you have to very reliable defensive players. Nothing flashy, and not much offensive spark (although Ference has been good this year), but they ensure reliability. This helps because the other defenseman, Corvo, has alot of his defensive lapses masked by the other defensively reliable members of his team. As the second best offensive defenseman the Bruins have, it's key to have him in the lineup, mainly for the PP.

I don't think I have to say too much about goalies. I've argued enough on Thomas here, and Rask could probably be a starter on 25+ teams in the league.

Now, special teams. PK... yeah, pretty much any forward can do it. Bergeron, Marchand, Kelly, Peverley, Paille, and Campbell are all fantastic at it, and Krejci and (when he's in the lineup) Caron can do it as well. On defense they're heavily reliant on Chara, but, after that, Seidenberg, Boychuk and Ference are great PKers as well. McQuaid can do it if called upon as well.

For the PP... This was horrendous last year but it is much improved this year. Firstly, Peverley manning the point. They were reliant on forcing Bergeron to play the point last year, and the years before that, but he's much more effective at battling down low and getting pucks back to the point. With Peverley's shiftiness on the point, he's capable of drawing players in and finding the open man. Secondly, they have stuck to the regular lines, which allows for the chemistry to take over. This also means increased time for Seguin and Marchand for the PP, who are two of their more dangerous offensive players. And lastly, Corvo has been a great addition on the point. Seidenberg just was not cut out to be a first option on the PP. With Peverley shifting up to play with Chara, Seidenberg and Corvo form a great second duo.

Oh, but I'm not done yet. That just describes how the team is built. What is a huge key to the Bruins success is their mindset. I've already mentioned before how growing together through failure has made this group very resiliant, along with never giving up at any point, regardless of how much they lead by.

And I'm sure you've heard of the Bruins toughness... Yes, I bet you're cowering from it because they haven't played the Rangers yet. Well, let me tell you that it is very real, and it doesn't take much for them to go off. If you want to try to match their intensity, they'll just beat you down. If you try to avoid it, the Bruins will just wear them down and beat them through skill. And there's not one player you can pick on, because the Bruins will jump on you for anything. They have the best and deepest set of fighters in the league, and more or less every player on hte team plays with a physical edge. the rare ones who don't are fully protected by their teammates.

Can the over-bearing physicality catch up with them? Rarely. This has happened twice this season in one of the Carolina games (their only three-goal loss) and the Vancouver game, but both games were reffed very tightly. A thing about Playoff hockey is that the refs let alot more stuff go. This bodes extraordinarily well for the best 5-on-5 team in ages.
Dude, what a gigantic waste of Internet.

__________________

rip
Ail is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
  #891
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Man you could sail a boat across the Atlantic with that post.

I don't watch the Bruins nearly enough, beyond highlights, to know the nuances of there team. I'll have a more informed opinion once the rangers play the bruins in a week.
NYR Sting asked me to back up why I think the Bruins are so good, and I happily obliged him. I don't see any team in the league that has that many areas completely covered.

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
  #892
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
I've said that crazy things can happen, so the Rangers might be able to squeak out a series win, but the odds are pretty highly stacked up against them to do that. Baffled is a strong word, but I would be very surprised to say the least.
That's the thing. You come in here spouting that the Bruins are the best hockey team in the league bar none, and it's laughable that the Rangers can win a hockey game against them. Tone it down. If you would've said that you'd be surprised if the Rangers won a playoff series, then fine, that's your prerogative. Show some respect and respect will be shown to you.

Quote:
The fact that people think Lundqvist is a better goalie really is baffling though.
It's because people think that Thomas stats are inflated becuase of the D. It's the same thing as when people think that the Rangers are only good because of Lundqvist. I think they both are phenomenal goalies, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Thomas' style of play is more suited for the Bruins and Lundqvist's suits the Rangers better.

Faxius is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:28 PM
  #893
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
What have I said that's trolling? I'd be happy to back up my team. LOL at using Thomas' pre-NHL career as an argument.
Dude, I told you how awesome he is. He FAN-tastic. He's the bee's knees, man.

Honestly, it's trolling because you are completely irrational and hypocritical. No one is as stupid as your posts portray you to be. You are ignoring valid points in an effort to rile up our fan base. For example, you sit there and say that Lundqvist is inconsistent and a flash in the pan but you put Thomas on a pedestal even though he was sucking in Finland when Lundqvist was being nominated for a Vezina, as a rookie. The same guy that choked away the starting spot to the guy that choked to the Flyers with a 3-0 lead in the series, or wait, was it game 7, oh yeah, both. Oh wait, that loss was actually a victory because it taught the Bruins to be the most dominating team of the modern day. But the Rangers losses are just confirmations of the inferiority. Are you seeing your psychosis yet? But keep posting, please. It will be so incredibly sweet on Jan. 22, not that you'll be here to eat your crow.

DutchShamrock is online now  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
  #894
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxius View Post
That's the thing. You come in here spouting that the Bruins are the best hockey team in the league bar none, and it's laughable that the Rangers can win a hockey game against them. Tone it down. If you would've said that you'd be surprised if the Rangers won a playoff series, then fine, that's your prerogative. Show some respect and respect will be shown to you.
I never said anything about one game. I was always talking about a Playoff series. I could care less whether the Bruins win this month. It's one game. I don't think any team can handle the Bruins in a Playoff series.

Quote:
It's because people think that Thomas stats are inflated becuase of the D. It's the same thing as when people think that the Rangers are only good because of Lundqvist. I think they both are phenomenal goalies, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Thomas' style of play is more suited for the Bruins and Lundqvist's suits the Rangers better.
I acknowledged both of those things. Both have their stats inflated to a degree. But you can't ignore what Thomas has accomplished.

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
  #895
Sheer Con*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Dude, I told you how awesome he is. He FAN-tastic. He's the bee's knees, man.

Honestly, it's trolling because you are completely irrational and hypocritical. No one is as stupid as your posts portray you to be. You are ignoring valid points in an effort to rile up our fan base. For example, you sit there and say that Lundqvist is inconsistent and a flash in the pan but you put Thomas on a pedestal even though he was sucking in Finland when Lundqvist was being nominated for a Vezina, as a rookie. The same guy that choked away the starting spot to the guy that choked to the Flyers with a 3-0 lead in the series, or wait, was it game 7, oh yeah, both. Oh wait, that loss was actually a victory because it taught the Bruins to be the most dominating team of the modern day. But the Rangers losses are just confirmations of the inferiority. Are you seeing your psychosis yet? But keep posting, please. It will be so incredibly sweet on Jan. 22, not that you'll be here to eat your crow.
Saying Lundqvist doesn't compare to Thomas means he sucks and is inconsistent? Lundqvist has been one of the best and most consistent goalies in the league for years. But he has not played on the level that he is playing on this season yet. Can you even argue that? Thomas has been playing on a record-setting pace for years (minus the injury season).

And by sucking I assume you mean setting records in Finland. He didn't get a chance because of his style, but once he did, he dominated. Are we talking about who had more NHL success 6 years ago now though?

Sheer Con* is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
  #896
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
is there any chance we can get our 'around the nhl' thread back?

I used to enjoy clicking on this thread to get a summary of what's happening in the league, not any more......

Please, just start a Bruins v Rangers thread somewhere so that we can get this one back on track and ignore the other one

mike14 is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM
  #897
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
I never said anything about one game. I was always talking about a Playoff series. I could care less whether the Bruins win this month. It's one game. I don't think any team can handle the Bruins in a Playoff series.
Misunderstood your earlier post when you were talking about Rangers winning possibly 1 out of 10 playoff series, my bad.

And thinking that no team can handle the Bruins in a series is your opinion. But I still like to point out (again) that you went to three game 7's last playoffs.


Quote:
I acknowledged both of those things. Both have their stats inflated to a degree. But you can't ignore what Thomas has accomplished.
I never ignored what Thomas accomplished. He has accomplished a hell of a lot. Since Thomas has the best save pct in history, do you think he is the best goaltender in the history of the NHL?

Faxius is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:42 PM
  #898
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
is there any chance we can get our 'around the nhl' thread back?

I used to enjoy clicking on this thread to get a summary of what's happening in the league, not any more......

Please, just start a Bruins v Rangers thread somewhere so that we can get this one back on track and ignore the other one
Yes, please.

Ail is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:42 PM
  #899
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Con View Post
NYR Sting asked me to back up why I think the Bruins are so good, and I happily obliged him. I don't see any team in the league that has that many areas completely covered.
I asked you to back up a claim as to how the Bruins were far superior to the Rangers. Instead, you provided a hyperbole-laden breakdown of your team straight out of any season preview post or issue of [insert random blog/hockey magazine].

Keeping in mind that, again, I DO think the Bruins are probably the best team in the league, that I often root for the Bruins, and that I've watched at least 15 Bruin games this season (not to mention all but 2 or 3 games from their entire playoff run last season), at least 30% of your analysis is an enormous exaggeration. Then, of course, in no way do you address the Rangers or any other team, and what exactly puts the Bruins "in a league of their own," despite, you know, the fact that there are 6-7 teams that have either more, the same, or just a little bit less points than the Bruins do.

The only thing you've backed up is that you're a monumental homer with no sense of objectivity.

Anyway, I'm through indulging you. I'll leave you with this: I'd love to see what would have happened last season in the playoffs had the Bruins been forced to face a healthy Penguins team, or how the Bruins and Timmy Thomas would have fared this season had Zdeno Chara missed as much time as Marc Staal had, not to mention Michael Sauer.

My take? If Sid and Geno are healthy, the Bruins don't make the Stanley Cup Finals, and if Chara misses half of this season, the Bruins are in a heated battle for the 4th/5th seed, not the President's Trophy. You know, what the Rangers were doing without their top defenseman.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
01-13-2012, 10:49 PM
  #900
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,958
vCash: 50
I love you, Sting.

Boston is good. But their "dominance" is overstated, when looking at the quality of competition of these "blowout".

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.