HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petr Mrazek

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
  #1
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.
 
Zetsyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Petr Mrazek

Has anybody else been watching this kid for the Czech Republic in the WJC? Arguably one of the best players in the tournament; he's the reason they have a shot against Russia right now.

Quote:
Born February 14, 1992 (age 19); Ostrava, Czech Republic
Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
Weight 184 lb (83 kg; 13 st 2 lb)
Position Goaltender
Catches Left
NHL team (Prospect) Detroit Red Wings
Cur. team Ottawa 67's (OHL)
NHL Draft 141st overall, 2010: Detroit Red Wings
Playing career 2008–present

Zetsyuk is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:20 PM
  #2
jayminator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
This guy is the reason why Russia may not be facing Canada in the semi-finals!

jayminator is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:21 PM
  #3
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
Has anybody else been watching this kid for the Czech Republic in the WJC? Arguably one of the best players in the tournament; he's the reason they have a shot against Russia right now.
He's made some great saves.
But I haven't seen this kind of hot dogging from a goalie in the history of the NHL.
I remember Roy's Statue of Liberty gaffe was being pretty outlandish...
but Mrazek... I've just never seen fist pumps from goalies while play is still going and in their own end.
He gets carried away and starts sliding around, overplaying as the puck goes from side to side.
It's tough to ignore that. He's going to have to learn to be more professional.

The Russian goalie has been really good in the third.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:25 PM
  #4
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,136
vCash: 500
From what little I've watched of the WJC he's looking amazing. Although he's gonna have to tone down the dancing at the next level.

Big Poppa Puck is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
  #5
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.
 
Zetsyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
Czechs lose, still a great performance.

Zetsyuk is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 10:57 PM
  #6
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 500
Mrazek looked great again tonight. When he is on his game, watch out!

Some unreal play by Mrazek in this tourny, he showed his top end potential is very, very high.

Of course consistancy will be the key for hm. He looked sluggish/tired in the Finland game.

Very positive opinion on him overall, he's very intense and battles hard. He's got that never give up and emotional 'Hasek' type attitude.

Looked pretty good positionally and very athletic as well for a big goalie. Showed off his strong puck handling skills too.

The potential is there, but like Gord Miller joked, 'Babcock may have a few wrinkles to iron out...'


Last edited by Boomhower: 01-02-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Boomhower is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM
  #7
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He's made some great saves.
But I haven't seen this kind of hot dogging from a goalie in the history of the NHL.
He's going to have to learn to be more professional.
Why?

Anchor Town is online now  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
  #8
probertrules24
Registered User
 
probertrules24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
I have no problem with a goalie be confident to cocky. Playing net you need a different mindset and having a guy who believes he's great is a good thing to me. If you look at any top goalie who is on his game he believes he's unbeatable. I'm not trying to say this is the way he's acting or playing it could be he's just excited to be on a big stage and making huge saves.

probertrules24 is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:21 PM
  #9
crashman
Registered User
 
crashman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 1376



crashman is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
  #10
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
imo, mrazek should play more conservatively. scrambles too much in net. not during broken plays near the net, but just generally. tends to be too aggressive on shooters, and slides outside the crease sometimes when going side to side. vs canada, i thought he was down on his knees too early and too much, which i heard was a problem before he was drafted.

nik jr is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:33 PM
  #11
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
imo, mrazek should play more conservatively. scrambles too much in net. not during broken plays near the net, but just generally. tends to be too aggressive on shooters, and slides outside the crease sometimes when going side to side. vs canada, i thought he was down on his knees too early and too much, which i heard was a problem before he was drafted.
That's exactly what I thought.
If you look at the winning goal, Mrazek got beat on the first shot (down early, position not covered) and then the winner (down too early).

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
  #12
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Why?
Because the NHL is a professional league. You don't fist pump after a save while the play is still going on in your own end...
You can see him sliding from post-to-post... he gets carried away and drags himself out of position on shots wide of the net. That's a function of his theatrics.
I think he may have the athleticism to play in the pros -- I think.
But he's got to learn to be a pro.

An NHL goalie who shows up forwards during the play is going to be a major distraction.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
  #13
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
I have no problem with a goalie be confident to cocky. Playing net you need a different mindset and having a guy who believes he's great is a good thing to me. If you look at any top goalie who is on his game he believes he's unbeatable. I'm not trying to say this is the way he's acting or playing it could be he's just excited to be on a big stage and making huge saves.
He's not just cocky.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 12:09 AM
  #14
probertrules24
Registered User
 
probertrules24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He's not just cocky.
I haven't watched him with his junior team maybe somebody who watches those games can give us a better answer. My guess he's just pumped up playing on the bigger stage. Not meaning his style but hoe excited he gets.

probertrules24 is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
  #15
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
That's exactly what I thought.
If you look at the winning goal, Mrazek got beat on the first shot (down early, position not covered) and then the winner (down too early).
if he fixes these things, he could have a bright future, b/c he moves well, is quick and athletic and is a very good puckhandler.

nik jr is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
  #16
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,674
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
if he fixes these things, he could have a bright future, b/c he moves well, is quick and athletic and is a very good puckhandler.
That is one skill that I had heard he had that was quite frankly undersold. He really is exceptional at moving the puck and will easily be within the top 10 goalies in the league at it. He will be the first goalie I can remember if he actually makes it all the way to the Wings that doesn't make me sick to my stomach when he comes out of the crease to handle the puck.

The Zetterberg Era is online now  
Old
01-03-2012, 12:51 AM
  #17
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
I haven't watched him with his junior team maybe somebody who watches those games can give us a better answer. My guess he's just pumped up playing on the bigger stage. Not meaning his style but hoe excited he gets.
From what I've heard he does it in Ottawa as well

Anchor Town is online now  
Old
01-03-2012, 12:53 AM
  #18
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
That is one skill that I had heard he had that was quite frankly undersold. He really is exceptional at moving the puck and will easily be within the top 10 goalies in the league at it. He will be the first goalie I can remember if he actually makes it all the way to the Wings that doesn't make me sick to my stomach when he comes out of the crease to handle the puck.
Ozzie was always among the better puckhandlers in the league.

RedWingsNow* is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 01:13 AM
  #19
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,674
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Ozzie was always among the better puckhandlers in the league.
Hard to forgive the 94 quarterfinals as a younger kid sitting in the arena. Osgood was okay, but he couldn't make the long passes this kid can. Ozzie still had his oh no moments when he was out there. Not saying he was bad, but this kid looks like he is in a Turco type class a legitimate 6th d-man out there.

The Zetterberg Era is online now  
Old
01-03-2012, 01:16 AM
  #20
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,674
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
I haven't watched him with his junior team maybe somebody who watches those games can give us a better answer. My guess he's just pumped up playing on the bigger stage. Not meaning his style but hoe excited he gets.
Other teams will hate it and we will love it. It is kind of like how the Lions are the dirtiest team in the league but Detroit fans don't care. He is who he is and if it helps him perform with an edge he can keep it up. Fist pumps when we are losing though will be a different story. I am sorry but most goalies celebrate shootout stops in game which is what started this whole thing with the Canadian media. Sure he has a lot of fire and as a USA fan I was annoyed watching him celebrate all over the place, but he earned it and it is on other teams to make sure he doesn't do it.

The Zetterberg Era is online now  
Old
01-03-2012, 01:28 AM
  #21
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
Let's not compare the Detroit Lions to the Detroit Red Wings ever again.

Being a goaltender is all about maintaining the same level of emotion. If you don't, you lose focus and you can kiss being in 'the zone' goodbye. Speaking with ~20 years of goaltending experience, a couple of those being a very high level of hockey. If he wants to act like a clown when the final horn sounds, by all means go ahead. But not during the game.

TatarTangle is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 02:12 AM
  #22
Anchor Town
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
Let's not compare the Detroit Lions to the Detroit Red Wings ever again.

Being a goaltender is all about maintaining the same level of emotion. If you don't, you lose focus and you can kiss being in 'the zone' goodbye. Speaking with ~20 years of goaltending experience, a couple of those being a very high level of hockey. If he wants to act like a clown when the final horn sounds, by all means go ahead. But not during the game.
Goalies should do whatever they want/need to make them play their best consistently, if being emotional is Mrazek's way of doing it then so be it

Anchor Town is online now  
Old
01-03-2012, 03:11 AM
  #23
Zorin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
It all depends on how you celebrate. And what type of person you are. Some people are brought off their game by stuff like that, other ppl. get fired up.

You can particularly often see that celebration-stuff at soccer-goalies. There are quite a few who shout around and celebrate after each better safe.

Basically shouting and celebrating agressively can, that is a scientific fact, force agressiveness and focus. It stimulates the production of adrenaline and, to a lesser extent, testosterone.

So I am fine with that if it is his way to create the agressiveness and focus he needs for his style of play. Other guys build up confidence, fun, focus and agressiveness by hitting everything that moves in early stages of the game. Or stuff like that. People are different in their roads to success. That can be said about style as well as behaviour.

Hasek, Roy, Brodeur - very different people, very different approaches to the game, extremely different style. But a coin-flip in terms of level of play.
So why should Mrazek not have his own style to fire himself up and not lose but rather GAIN focus!? Sure, it should not bring him out of position. But that is simply experience. But (positive) emotion is not a bad thing for a hockeyplayer. Also not for a goalie!

Zorin is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 03:23 AM
  #24
Mirinho
Registered User
 
Mirinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
+ he almost scored a goal against USA .. I loved all his gestures after that moment (how he was keeping his head and then "glove salute" to the crowd) ... he absolutely owned everyone in the crowd that day and ppl were cheering for him


Mirinho is offline  
Old
01-03-2012, 05:39 AM
  #25
redjax
Boom Roasted.
 
redjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Sit back there like a statue like a good boy please...geez. Things I care about relating to a goalie:

1) Your play (goals allowed, plays made, etc..)
2) Design of goalie mask

Shockingly, "being a professional" is nowhere to be found.

redjax is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.