HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

worst year of reffing?

Old
01-03-2012, 12:37 AM
flames12

vCash: 500
worst year of reffing?

You know you're doing it wrong when refs are at the center of the stage after the game. It's been like this since day 1 and it's ugly head poped out tonight. The refs decided BOTH Quarterfinal games today I hope the semis are better.

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Is this the worst year for poor officiating? Not even close!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:41 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I thought it was (much) better than average.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Big Phil

I have seen much worse at this tournament.

It has actually gotten better over the years. Remember when the reffing used to always work against the kind of game Canada played? It used to literally be that if there was clean open ice hit that made a lot of noise, or if the glass shook on a hit that a penalty was automatically called, so it seemed. Guess which country this hurt the most?

That has changed over the years and there are far less games in this tournament where I can say the refs aren't letting us play our game. I don't know what changed, maybe just how big this tournament has gotten has something to do with it and the idea that we need more competent refs was important.

I mean, remember the 2009 gold medal game between Sweden and Canada? It was a very physical game and the refs let a lot of things go which was nice. Sweden to their credit despite a 5-1 loss was actually at least as physical as us I thought. That's how you call a hockey game.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Lehner

I think this is the best year to tell you the truth..

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Statsy

I've been watching the WJC's for 20 years and the standard of reffing has improved ten fold.

The Czech/Russia game was in fact so well reffed that the commentators never really even mentioned the refs through the entire game until the deciding play. And that play happened to be a high stick on a follow-through of a shot which these days is not deemed a penalty (though I personally don't agree with that rule).

I wasn't as happy with the reffing in the other game but those games have been the exception, not the norm.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:08 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
I've been watching the WJC's for 20 years and the standard of reffing has improved ten fold.

The Czech/Russia game was in fact so well reffed that the commentators never really even mentioned the refs through the entire game until the deciding play. And that play happened to be a high stick on a follow-through of a shot which these days is not deemed a penalty (though I personally don't agree with that rule).

I wasn't as happy with the reffing in the other game but those games have been the exception, not the norm.
It is a penalty and it does get called as per the rules and the play should have been whistled down immediately also as per the rules. The refs saw what happened clearly in this case and didnt call a second penalty likely because of Russia complaining of bias against them, they should of also whistled it down but I have no idea why they didnt instead of a brain cramp. They gambled hoping nothing would come of it but it resulted in a goal. Unfortunate and it completly really ruins a otherwise great game.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Macman

Other than the non-call last night, I think that officiating has been excellent this year. Better than ever, really.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Ward Cornell

It can't be too bad since Spada from the OHL isn't there!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkinator View Post
It is a penalty and it does get called as per the rules and the play should have been whistled down immediately also as per the rules. The refs saw what happened clearly in this case and didnt call a second penalty likely because of Russia complaining of bias against them, they should of also whistled it down but I have no idea why they didnt instead of a brain cramp. They gambled hoping nothing would come of it but it resulted in a goal. Unfortunate and it completly really ruins a otherwise great game.
But other than some disgruntled Czech fans, who are slowly coming to terms with the loss, YOU are the only one who thinks this is the case.

How about YOU contact the IIHF with your concerns, then report back what you find out. You've run out of consensus taking here - go find out what the rule really is. Find out what that 'discretion of the ref' clause in the rules is about

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

I dunno. It seems excessively lopsided today at the Dome between Latvia and the USA. I was right behind the Home net so it was hard to see some of the calls, but the Americans certainly got the better end of the amount of calls.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I have seen much worse at this tournament.

It has actually gotten better over the years. Remember when the reffing used to always work against the kind of game Canada played? It used to literally be that if there was clean open ice hit that made a lot of noise, or if the glass shook on a hit that a penalty was automatically called, so it seemed. Guess which country this hurt the most?

That has changed over the years and there are far less games in this tournament where I can say the refs aren't letting us play our game. I don't know what changed, maybe just how big this tournament has gotten has something to do with it and the idea that we need more competent refs was important.

I mean, remember the 2009 gold medal game between Sweden and Canada? It was a very physical game and the refs let a lot of things go which was nice. Sweden to their credit despite a 5-1 loss was actually at least as physical as us I thought. That's how you call a hockey game.

Letting you play 'your game' doesn't necessarily make for fair referring. There needs to be a balance.
Referring has definitely been anti North American in the past, so its moving in the right direction. But there are times when North Americans have gotten the better of the calls too. 2009 championship game is a good example.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

As someone who has watched this tournament faithfully since 1991, this has been some of the best officiating that I have seen in all of those years.

People think this is bad? There have been years where penalties have been assessed at will for bodychecking that makes noise.

I'd rather have a few missed calls than some of the phantom junk that has been called in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I dunno. It seems excessively lopsided today at the Dome between Latvia and the USA. I was right behind the Home net so it was hard to see some of the calls, but the Americans certainly got the better end of the amount of calls.
When a bad team is playing a good team, the bad team is going to have to do a lot more hooking and holding, tripping and interference in order to try and even the playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames12 View Post
You know you're doing it wrong when refs are at the center of the stage after the game. It's been like this since day 1 and it's ugly head poped out tonight. The refs decided BOTH Quarterfinal games today I hope the semis are better.
This statement not only insults the refs, it also insults the teams involved in those games. First, that a team lost because the refs didn't help them enough, or the other team won because the refs had to help them. Either way, not a fair comment.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
God Bless Canada

For those who think this is the worst, you never saw Hans Ronning in the game between Canada and the USSR in Piestany in 1987. His officiating played a key role in the bench-clearing brawl. (Gare Joyce actually tracked Ronning down for his book "When the Lights Went Out.")

I wasn't impressed with the officiating in the Finland-Slovakia game. I thought it was terrific in the Russia-Czech Republic game. It was just a great, great game, and the officiating was a part of that. For nearly two periods, they put the whistle away, and let the boys play. Maybe they were doing the same thing that the rest of us were doing: marvelling at the performance of both teams, particularly the goalies.

According to the rules, the follow-through that struck the Czech player is not a penalty. You can argue that it should be a penalty, but the rules say it's not, and the refs aren't going to call it in overtime. You could also argue that the play should have been blown dead, but typically refs won't blow a play dead until the team with the injured player gains possession of the puck, and the Czechs never did that. Unfortunate that the game had to be decided with a defending player injured on the ice, but the refs did handle it properly.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
When a bad team is playing a good team, the bad team is going to have to do a lot more hooking and holding, tripping and interference in order to try and even the playing field.
Hey I never once said that the penalties were badly called or missed. I simply said the Calls (in number alone) greatly favoured the American Squad. I also clearly stated I couldn't see a number of calls due to my position in the arena.

My point was simply the large number of PP the USA team got. (8 or 9 to 3 where there was a five on three for latvia)

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote