HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v17| Lol Rasual Butler

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Dutch77
Predictable..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
You've seen Bargs' commercial for Primo, right?
The original was great, but the whole grain tastes better.

/derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dupcomic View Post
As brutal as this team is, there's actually 4 teams with a worse record
The NBA has never been a league with balance, but this super friends trip everybody's on will end up helping teams that build the correct way. Look at my Jazz since trading Deron Williams.

Last edited by Dutch77: 01-19-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old
01-19-2012, 01:44 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan77 View Post
The original was great, but the whole grain tastes better.

/derp

The NBA has never been a league with balance, but this super friends trip everybody's on will end up helping teams that build the correct way. Look at my Jazz since trading Deron Williams.
That's because they were able to trade Williams and not have him dictate terms to them. I fear that the trend is going to be more like the Hornets/Clippers trade where the star player says "I want to go there" and totally ****s over any bargaining power the team trading him might've had.

I'm afraid that if you're not a choice market, you're going to have to go the Thunder route: draft high for a few years, manage to hit a couple of draft home runs, then push hard to compete before your window runs out and your best players bolt for glitzier cities.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-19-2012, 02:11 AM
binop7

Dwayne Casey is doing an awesome job with this team defensively, once Val comes to the nba next season and the raps draft in the top 5 this year, hopefully sign a f.a like a Josh Smith (I think he'd fit in the rotation nicely), this team will be one to watch out for. I'm more worried about Demar regressing and lately have noticed that his handles aren't good nor his first step. He is probably better suited as a sixth man.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Dwayne Casey is doing an awesome job with this team defensively, once Val comes to the nba next season and the raps draft in the top 5 this year, hopefully sign a f.a like a Josh Smith (I think he'd fit in the rotation nicely), this team will be one to watch out for. I'm more worried about Demar regressing and lately have noticed that his handles aren't good nor his first step. He is probably better suited as a sixth man.
I wouldn't bank on any prominent FA signing here. It seems only scrubs or Euros will sign with Toronto.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:54 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I wouldn't bank on any FA signing here. It seems only scrubs or Euro's will sign with Toronto.
Yeah its not an attractive market for basketball

Old
01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Josh Smith is good defensively, but if you want a guy with another bad shooter, take him. He won't come here either.. He'll probably stay in Atlanta.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
hdtrax

Toronto just needs to stick with the rebuild process and not worry about trying to attract top FAs just yet.

Hopefully, Raps end up top 7 this year. Last few games have been bad but they're not nearly as bad as some other teams in the league. Grab a PG like Myck Kabongo (Toronto Boy - Rondo 2.0 in the making) to settle down your 1 spot and move Calderon - his time is up.

Keep Demar, Ed Davis, James Johnson, Jerryd Bayless and J-Val as your core and just add to it via drafting - Kabongo and possibly another 1st rounder to grab a SF. This is by no means the ingredients for a championship team but Toronto can at least start putting together a solid, young but competitive roster.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
I wouldn't bank on any prominent FA signing here. It seems only scrubs or Euros will sign with Toronto.
Quote:
Yeah its not an attractive market for basketball
It's not an attractive market because the team has sucked for the most part. If it wins, it becomes a destination. There's ample evidence to prove this.

*Chris Bosh re-signed here when BC took over the team started trending upwards. He left when the team was on a downward trend.

*Vince Carter re-signed here when the team was on the way up and a playoff team. At the time he was arguably the most marketable player in the league.

*Antonio Davis wanted to come to Toronto when the team was on an upward climb.

*Ditto Hakeem. When he thought he only had a year or two left, he wanted to come to Toronto.

*Damon Stoudamire left when the team was crappy. He's later acknowledged he didn't realize how good a market Toronto was relative to the rest of the league.

Of the "big-name" players that have been drafted by Toronto, the only one to leave when things were looking up was McGrady. All the others, and we can quibble with how they left and their attitude, were willing, and wanted to stay, when the team was good.

Toronto is an excellent market. LA, New York and Miami may all have more appeal, but Toronto, when successful is right there with any other team in the league in terms of market attraction.

The problem is, in 16 years, they've been "successful" for roughly 4.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
It's not an attractive market because the team has sucked for the most part. If it wins, it becomes a destination. There's ample evidence to prove this.

*Chris Bosh re-signed here when BC took over the team started trending upwards. He left when the team was on a downward trend.

*Vince Carter re-signed here when the team was on the way up and a playoff team. At the time he was arguably the most marketable player in the league.

*Ditto Hakeem. When he thought he only had a year or two left, he wanted to come to Toronto.

*Damon Stoudamire left when the team was crappy. He's later acknowledged he didn't realize how good a market Toronto was relative to the rest of the league.

Of the "big-name" players that have been drafted by Toronto, the only one to leave when things were looking up was McGrady. All the others, and we can quibble with how they left and their attitude, were willing, and wanted to stay, when the team was good.

Toronto is an excellent market. LA, New York and Miami may all have more appeal, but Toronto, when successful is right there with any other team in the league in terms of market attraction.

QFT. Well said.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Quote:
There's only so many roster spots to be had in LA, New York and Miami. Also, I'm kind of sick of Miami being heralded as this great sports market. The Heat can still barely sell out games consistently.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:

This is what I have been saying for a while. If the team is wining they attract interest but questionable hiring's of management and coaching to go along with a history of losing makes Toronto a black hole. Things are looking up for the future though with Bargs emergence this season, and Val coming over next and what looks to be another top 5 pick we could be in a position to become a lot better sooner rather then later.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Eytinge

BTW Westbrook signed a 5 year, 78 million dollar contract. That's a great deal for the Thunder.

Old
01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Toronto just needs to stick with the rebuild process and not worry about trying to attract top FAs just yet.

Hopefully, Raps end up top 7 this year. Last few games have been bad but they're not nearly as bad as some other teams in the league. Grab a PG like Myck Kabongo (Toronto Boy - Rondo 2.0 in the making) to settle down your 1 spot and move Calderon - his time is up.

Keep Demar, Ed Davis, James Johnson, Jerryd Bayless and J-Val as your core and just add to it via drafting - Kabongo and possibly another 1st rounder to grab a SF. This is by no means the ingredients for a championship team but Toronto can at least start putting together a solid, young but competitive roster.
As great as I think Kabongo is, he's not someone you pick top-7, simply because you could get him with a much later pick.

Old
01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
As great as I think Kabongo is, he's not someone you pick top-7, simply because you could get him with a much later pick.
Should've clarified, I meant grab Kabongo with a pick you acquire for another player. Top 10 this year is strong as hell, especially with PFs.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Quote:
BTW Westbrook signed a 5 year, 78 million dollar contract. That's a great deal for the Thunder.
If he wasn't playing pg.

Old
01-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Suntouchable13

Gonna be another looooooooooooong night tonight.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Gonna be another looooooooooooong night tonight.
still no Bargs, so yep...

Unless DeMar gets his **** together and scores like 25-30 while Gary Forbes goes off for 20+. Not bloody likely though...

Old
01-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Eytinge

Is Bayless back?

Old
01-20-2012, 06:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Is Bayless back?
Nope.

Old
01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
achillesheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan77 View Post
Also, I'm kind of sick of Miami being heralded as this great sports market. The Heat can still barely sell out games consistently.
Co sign this.

Miami is one of THEE worst sports cities in the US.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Tony Romo

guys quick question, what are good type of depth guys to pick up on a fantasy team?

my team:
PG : Rondo
SG: Derozan
G: Igoudala
SF: Carmelo
F: Joe Johnson
PF: Blake Griffin
C: Howard
C: Bogut
Util: Jordan Crawford
Util: Marshon brooks

also got caron butler!!!
like depth players that i can get off free agents, may come cheap in a trade etc

Old
01-20-2012, 07:28 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

So....The raptors believed that the game started at 8pm ET instead of 7?

Old
01-20-2012, 07:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Every time they interview Aaron Gray, he looks like he is baked out of his mind.

Old
01-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

What's with Demar's minutes? Calderon is at 30+ while DeMar is at 20.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
What's with Demar's minutes? Calderon is at 30+ while DeMar is at 20.
Casey is holding him accountable for his play lately. I like it. No gift wrapped minutes for DeMar anymore.

Closed Thread