HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal

Old
01-03-2012, 11:37 AM
leeroggy

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal

I was looking at the Blackhawks threads and noted they are in the market for a 3rd line player. I was wondering if Nielsen can now be expendable with the way Bailey is now playing as well as what our center depth will be in the future. Given that he is already 27 without much offensive upside left to discover and that he is a free agent this year (not sure if UFA or RFA), would we want to see what Chicago would offer?

It looks like a prospect like Jeremy Morin is stuck behind the top wingers on the depth chart and has been productive when called up. His game has some edge to it and might make a nice second line winger. Lord knows we need some more grit on the wing and he has skill to go with it.

Would Chicago trade even up? Nielsen for Morin?

FYI - part of this thought is that I went to college with his dad . . .

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I agree Nielsen is our most attractive asset that will bring the best return. I also think CHI is a team that would be interested in him. I also think Morin has good up side.

However I think a potential top 4 d-man such as Dylan Olsen fits the Isles prospect needs better than another forward unless it is clear he is better than what's in our pipeline. I'm not sure that is true when your talking Morin to the Islanders.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
However I think a potential top 4 d-man such as Dylan Olsen fits the Isles prospect needs better than another forward unless it is clear he is better than what's in our pipeline. I'm not sure that is true when your talking Morin to the Islanders.
I thought about him but it seems like Morin is the better prospect at this point. It looks like Olson is purely a stay-at-home d-man.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
I was looking at the Blackhawks threads and noted they are in the market for a 3rd line player. I was wondering if Nielsen can now be expendable with the way Bailey is now playing as well as what our center depth will be in the future. Given that he is already 27 without much offensive upside left to discover and that he is a free agent this year (not sure if UFA or RFA), would we want to see what Chicago would offer?

It looks like a prospect like Jeremy Morin is stuck behind the top wingers on the depth chart and has been productive when called up. His game has some edge to it and might make a nice second line winger. Lord knows we need some more grit on the wing and he has skill to go with it.

I'd hate to lose Frans because he's one of my favorites.If he is dealt,
I would love to get a good prospect,instead of a pick.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post

This is one of the few trade ideas that might actually be worth something. It's not crazy, Nielsen is a desirable 3rd line commodity, and if not Morin, another asset could be worked in. Good idea.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
blitzkriegs

I still think CHI is interested in Nabby come deadline time. Same with DET - yep, DET. If Howard gets injured, their playoff success takes a beating.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
NYI JT91

Frans should stay unless it SIGNIFICANTLY improves our team.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Frans should stay unless it SIGNIFICANTLY improves our team.
One way or another, Snow has to decide NOW whether or not he's resigning Nielsen.

If for whatever reason he isn't, he must be traded.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
One way or another, Snow has to decide NOW whether or not he's resigning Nielsen.

I, for one, have been quite disappointed in Nielsen's play this year. I think part of it is that he truly is a 3rd line center and early on they had him up as a 2nd liner. He's a nice player, but in over his head on the 2nd line.

He also seems to have a confidence issue. I don't know what's going on with him, but I also don't know what's going on with Streit, Okposo, and a few others.

I will say that it's very disconcerning that short of Tavares who's incredibly self-motivated, almost all our players are going backwards in terms of their play. You have to look at the coach in situations like that.

Bottom line - I still believe in Nielson and we'd probably only get a 2nd rounder or moderate prospect for him. Therefore Snow should do everything in his power to resign him first, as he's more valuable to us than what we'd get for him in a trade.

Last edited by periferal: 01-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.
periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:16 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

To me, it's obvious that this team is very poorly constructed. Aside from a couple of players, they have all underperformed and Neilsen stands out in that respect. He is not a 2nd line center, he's a pretty decent 3rd line center who I think could really help a contending team. He's dangerous on the PK and he does a lot of good things. I don't think Frans has shown me enough to be a long term solution for us though. If we can get a good return on him, I wouldn't mind dealing him at all.

With the amount of salary coming off the books after this season, Snow has an opportunity to completely overhaul the team. I don't want a Dale Tallon type job in Florida (I'm convinced some of those signings will come back to bite them in the future), but it's clear that something needs to be done. We will have to see if a lottery pick is not the most significant piece added.

Trade deadline is quickly approaching. Snow is not doing his job if he doesn't put feelers out for Neilsen, Parenteau, and anyone else on the roster that probably won't be back next season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
OlTimeHockey

If Nielson helps a contending team with his play, one side says keep him and become a contending team and one side says trade him to a contending team.

That should say volumes as to what this organization has done to its fanbase.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
okie21

Right now Frans is a 3rd line defensive center asked to be a 2nd line two-way center. His play this season has not improved from last. It is a tough decision to make because he's been asked to do more then his abilites will allow. The Islanders have to decide if they think Bailey is actually going to take the next step. Will Ullstrom play center ever at the NHL level or his he always a wing. When is Strome going to be on this team, and again will he be looked at as a 2nd line center or switch to play JT's wing. How close is Cizakas and how similar are he and Nielsen. There is alot of moving parts around the Frans decision. One thing I don't want to see however is a 5+ year deal. Who knows what's going to be going on in the next few years and I personally wouldn't want Frans with a Grabner type contract that could stop us from spending when it's possible to get simialr production in 2 years from Cizakas. Wang won't spend so every dollar really needs to count. 2 years 4M would be my offer right now and if he says no I'd look to deal him.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
Right now Frans is a 3rd line defensive center asked to be a 2nd line two-way center. His play this season has not improved from last. It is a tough decision to make because he's been asked to do more then his abilites will allow. The Islanders have to decide if they think Bailey is actually going to take the next step. Will Ullstrom play center ever at the NHL level or his he always a wing. When is Strome going to be on this team, and again will he be looked at as a 2nd line center or switch to play JT's wing. How close is Cizakas and how similar are he and Nielsen. There is alot of moving parts around the Frans decision. One thing I don't want to see however is a 5+ year deal. Who knows what's going to be going on in the next few years and I personally wouldn't want Frans with a Grabner type contract that could stop us from spending when it's possible to get simialr production in 2 years from Cizakas. Wang won't spend so every dollar really needs to count. 2 years 4M would be my offer right now and if he says no I'd look to deal him.
To me, the questions with regard to Frans are:
1) What is Bailey

Right now, Bailey and Frans are both third line centers. Nielsen is better, but after this year Bailey will be cheaper and he has more potential. If he starts using his size consistently, which he has shown signs of doing lately, then I think he will surpass Nielsen.

If the team thinks Bailey can be the #2 center next year, re-sign Nielsen. If not, the question becomes

2) Can the Isles sign anyone better

Right now the Isles have JT and 2 third line centers. Obviously, that is not good. But, if we aren't going to be able to get a legit 2nd line center we may as well re-sign Frans.

For most teams I don't think this would be a question. A second line center via free agency or trade is not something that should be considered an impossibility. For the Isles though?

Personally, assuming the Isles are out of it by the deadline, I wouldn't mind moving Frans, then doing whatever it takes to bring in a more offensive minded center during the offseason. Put together a package of prospects/picks and go get someone.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I, for one, have been quite disappointed in Nielsen's play this year. I think part of it is that he trule is a 3rd line center and early on they had him up as a 2nd liner. He's a nice player, but in over his head on the 2nd line.

He also seems to have a confidence issue. I don't know what's going on with him, but I also don't know what's going on with Streit, Okposo, and a few others.

I will say that it's very disconcerning that short of Tavares who's incredibly self-motivated, almost all our players are going backwards in terms of their play. You have to look at the coach in situations like that.

Bottom line - I still believe in Nielson and we'd probably only get a 2nd rounder or moderate prospect for him. Therefore Snow should do everything in his power to resign him first, as he's more valuable to us than what we'd get for him in a trade.
I agree except for Hamonic and Martin

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
To me, it's obvious that this team is very poorly constructed. Aside from a couple of players, they have all underperformed and Neilsen stands out in that respect. He is not a 2nd line center, he's a pretty decent 3rd line center who I think could really help a contending team. He's dangerous on the PK and he does a lot of good things. I don't think Frans has shown me enough to be a long term solution for us though. If we can get a good return on him, I wouldn't mind dealing him at all.

With the amount of salary coming off the books after this season, Snow has an opportunity to completely overhaul the team. I don't want a Dale Tallon type job in Florida (I'm convinced some of those signings will come back to bite them in the future), but it's clear that something needs to be done. We will have to see if a lottery pick is not the most significant piece added.

Trade deadline is quickly approaching. Snow is not doing his job if he doesn't put feelers out for Neilsen, Parenteau, and anyone else on the roster that probably won't be back next season.
I agree. While I do want qualified free agents, which I don't have to worry about, because it won't happen, I don't want to krazy glue pieces together.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Snow is not doing his job if he doesn't put feelers out for Neilsen, Parenteau, and anyone else on the roster that probably won't be back next season.
I think we need to try to re-sign PAP.

This is our lineup for next year:

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-xxxxxx-xxxxxx
Martin-Bailey-Ullstrom
xxxxxx-Reasoner-Nino
xxxxxx

Streit-xxxxxx
MacDonald-Hamonic
xxxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxxxx

xxxxxxx
DP

I can see one of the D spots being covered by someone in house, but that is it.

I don't see anyway that we add that many pieces in the offseason. I particularly don't see us adding 2 top-6 forwards and a top-2 defenseman. Or a #1 goalie. So I think re-signing PAP and Montoya (assuming he comes back healthy) is important.

I think adding defensemen that can handle the puck better than Staios/Eaton/Mottau/Jurcina and a legit #2 center would provide enough of an offensive upgrade that we can get away with PAP for another year or two.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

Snow's only real chance to improve the club is through the draft or by trade since the UFA route has done wonders.

I'm ambivalent on Nielsen. Nice player, but considering NYI have other holes in the lineup, he could be used to plug that space with better size.

At the deadline, NYI should look to pick off some other teams salary dumps. CLB has to dump salary, you can't finish bottom 3 in the league spending THAT much money. Umberger would be a nice fit here.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote