HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs Flames - Verizon Center - 7pm - 1/3/12

Old
01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Okay...I just wanted to know if it has actually been confirmed that Johnson runs the powerplay. He sounded sure of it.
I wondered if he had heard that as fact, as well.

I still want to know what Evason is doing. I thought he was in charge of the PP. Maybe Dale relieved him of duties; that a bigger factor in eeking out a few PP goals recently.

In case anyone forgets who the coach of the team is...

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/21342

I liked Fornes calling the fights. "10 to 12 right hooks and upper cuts!" What a homer, it was closer to 8.

Dale and Jim like using video. I wonder if they'll use any Dale video's to get a couple to unsnap their bras.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

I know Evason coached the PK under Boudreau, but I don't know if that has continued. People here have said that Woods ran the PP while he was here...not sure if that was confirmed; I thought it was Boudreau himself.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Has it been definitely established that Johnson runs the powerplay?
I was certain I had read that, but now can't find anything on it.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM
hb11xchamps

Going back to the agitator role. Washington let a pretty good agitator go in Steve Pinizzotto. Washington never gave him a chance and he would have been playing for Vancouver if it wasnt for a separated shoulder.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I don't think instructions were given. Since the Paul Mulvey debacle, I think coaches have to be tight lipped.

The way it is measured, is by looking at the troops on the next faceoff, assuming a stoppage in play happened. This time it didn't. If you saw Erskine out for his 2nd shift in the 3rd right afterwards, he all but "told" his team he saw what happened.

I claim bunk that <most> all the guys on the bench didn't know what happened. It happened right in front of them. I saw it immediately. Any enforcer we had on the bench wouldn't have missed it, that is his job. Erskine was probably at the end, half asleep. Merely a middle, he is not an enforcer.
crawford and bertuzzi came after mulvey...mulvey? seriously? talk about the old days.

you dont honestly think that bradley went out on the ice and on his own decided the team needed a spark and it was time time to bleed....do you? it may all be in the code words, but these hendricks knows coach wants him to start a fight and when coach wants him to be sure to skate away from a challenge to fight. its like saying you believe that there is no such thing as a steal sign in baseball.

btw...not a chance in the world that rbourque throws down with an actual enforcer anyway.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Hell yeah I think Bradley did all his work on his own. You really think Bruce made him fight? That's crazy. Bruce had a strong disdain for fighting from what I saw and little I heard. He often spoke of just wanting to stick to hockey and who wouldn't in his shoes, he had the about the best talent in the league.

Do you think Bruce in his right mind would make Bradley go fight top heavy's as he did? Knowing full well he was going to be a bloody mess? That's criminal!

Now I will admit coaches will talk to a 3rd and 4th liner or anyone for that matter and ask them to spark the team but specific directives to fight, hell no, the players do it so they can retain their jobs. If Hendricks awaited directives to fight, he would be out of a job. His buddy told him to fight, its his lifeline. They take it upon themselves to do it. They aren't idiots, they can see a listless team down 3-0 on the road. That's their job. Does your boss tell you how to do your job every day?

Old
01-04-2012, 04:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Hell yeah I think Bradley did all his work on his own. You really think Bruce made him fight? That's crazy. Bruce had a strong disdain for fighting from what I saw and little I heard. He often spoke of just wanting to stick to hockey and who wouldn't in his shoes, he had the about the best talent in the league.

Do you think Bruce in his right mind would make Bradley go fight top heavy's as he did? Knowing full well he was going to be a bloody mess? That's criminal!
here's what i know. if boudreau told bradley "no fighting" there would be no fighting. so, yea. bradley was fighting because boudreau wanted to. boudreau to hendricks in 24/7, "you don't have to fight every night. sometimes you do".

you think boudreau didnt want fighting and when the team was down 2-0 suddenly bradley was on the ice for a fight after the faceoff?? come on rh. you know better than that.

Old
01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

So you dont think camera and fans would catch Bruce saying something to Bradley, and then him fighting mere seconds of game time later? Ovi was caught lipping him a fat ****. Tapping him on the shoulder - its too easy to see. The media would be flipping out. The stay at homers, calling the league offices in a mad panic, public outcry worrying Bentman to no end.

If this happens on all teams in all of hockey time as you seem to allege, don't you think there would be more Mulvey protests, or that it would somehow get out? They all played hockey all their lives, they all know their roles, they all know when its warranted; they all know why George signed them to that contract.

I contend no one needs to be told and isn't. I certainly have never witnessed it despite what must be thousands of game watched hours.

I have seen probably hundreds of times when I thought guys would fight, matching tough guy lines, etc. and nothing happened.

Fact is they get told when not to fight.

Old
01-04-2012, 05:06 PM
txpd

boudreau is talking on the bench all the time. its as easy as telling bradley, "brads, its your turn" or "brads, time to make a play".

do you think that bradley fought at those strategic times on a regular basis purely on his own and against boudreau's wishes? you think caps players that fought with regularity didnt care what boudreau thought and did it anyway? really?

Old
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

5 games for bourque. About right. A little on the lighter side what I thought they may do to him. But they felt it wasn't premeditated. It was reckless. Kind of agree as I can see their point.

Glad to see that even Bourque/his agent agreed it was reckless.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
txpd

so let it be written. so let it be done.

Old
01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
5 games for bourque. About right. A little on the lighter side what I thought they may do to him. But they felt it wasn't premeditated. It was reckless. Kind of agree as I can see their point.

Glad to see that even Bourque/his agent agreed it was reckless.
too much parsing on these hits. if they want it out of the game, harsher punishment is needed.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
too much parsing on these hits. if they want it out of the game, harsher punishment is needed.
Sure, but you can't go around throwing out 30 game suspensions all of the time. Have to let the players adjust and level fair punishment when they break the rules.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Sure, but you can't go around throwing out 30 game suspensions all of the time. Have to let the players adjust and level fair punishment when they break the rules.
I get that and it's something like $200K that he's losing. Still, repeat offenders shouldn't be given too many more chances.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

5 sounds like he only gave Backstrom a migraine

I think given he is a repeat offender so soon after his last, the score, unprovoked elbow on an unsuspecting victim, Shanahan trying to set a precedence early and often....

10 games seems better to me. 5 is like a handslap. He is not a choir boy. The jury is out on Backstrom's injury, the test today inconclusive. Suspend him indefinitely pending further testing. Isn't the length dependent on the severity of the injury?

Old
01-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
5 sounds like he only gave Backstrom a migraine

I think given he is a repeat offender so soon after his last, the score, unprovoked elbow on an unsuspecting victim, Shanahan trying to set a precedence early and often....

10 games seems better to me. 5 is like a handslap. He is not a choir boy.
That was such an ugly shot. Theres not even enough room to play devils advocate and explain away the hit as an unintentional. 5 games was to short especially for a repeat offender. Though the $200k in lost salary does make it sound a little better.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
txpd

rh, relax. this will payback for the caps when they take on dale's dirty style in the future and start elbowing guys unprovoked like bourque did. maybe just a little sore loser conduct. then the caps will get that 5 games suspension rather than the 10 game. right?

Old
01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
rh, relax. this will payback for the caps when they take on dale's dirty style in the future and start elbowing guys unprovoked like bourque did. maybe just a little sore loser conduct. then the caps will get that 5 games suspension rather than the 10 game. right?
Only the spinmaster

Last I saw attacking a finesse guy at the end of a loss was good for 21 games. Heavy handed Shanahan wasnt ruling over the league 20 years ago.

Do you just blindly oppose every post of mine?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-05-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old
01-05-2012, 07:14 AM
txpd

Quote:
Only the spinmaster

Last I saw attacking a finesse guy at the end of a loss was good for 21 games. Heavy handed Shanahan wasnt ruling over the league 20 years ago.

Do you just blindly oppose every post of mine?
well, no. i agree with this one. what bourque did was on the same level with what dale did with turgeon. i see the connection clearly.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
That was such an ugly shot. Theres not even enough room to play devils advocate and explain away the hit as an unintentional. 5 games was to short especially for a repeat offender. Though the $200k in lost salary does make it sound a little better.
200K is laughable to me, for a guy pulling 3.33M for the next 5 years.

I am thinking the league could stand to have the team miss that players slot in lineup. You have players on suspension, you can't replace them with that highly touted prospect waiting for a break that all the fans want to see. Make his teammates do extra work, and the coach have to deal with playing shorthanded, messing up his lines or pairings.