HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Trade Rumors/Proposals/Possible Deadline Pickups

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post
Anyone in the Blue Jackets organization that the Pens could be interested in that may help them out? I Doubt Nash and Carter will be moved, I'm not even sure if they can be. But what about Umberger or Vermette?

I honestly don't know enough about the 2, so would either be a beneficial pickup at this point?
I've always been a fan of Vermette. Wouldn't mind making an offer for him.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
JTG

Vermette is a Shero type player.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:39 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender731 View Post
Shero should grab Brule off of re-entry waivers. At half salary, I think it'd be a worthwhile acquisition. Not sure how many years he's signed for though.
Brule will be a RFA after this season, possibly with arbitration rights.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=38

I'd take a flyer on him, I was a big fan of this when he was in junior with the Vancouver Giants.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Vermette would be good; CBJ certainly in the mode of shaking things up this deadline. Maybe a possibility if we ship them a D prospect not named Despres or Morrow, and an early pick. Might actually be able to get him for Tangradi and middle round pick this year or next, and he's good enough that I wouldn't have a problem with it in terms of what we're giving/getting offensively. Vermette still has more upside on a healthy Penguins team than we see of him in Columbus.

He was starting to evolve as a player in Ottawa and then was completely stunted when they sent him to CBJ (although he had good numbers his first year when they had a deeper team). He is a very solid two-way forward (think Dupuis with better offensive skills but not quite as fast) who can PK with the best of them and chip in a decent amount of points. He'd be a solid fit here long-term, not just for right now. Brule and some of these other guys we talk about would not be long-term guys.

Let's put it this way, if I had to choose I'd rather have Vermette on this team than TK or Asham (in terms of cap space / keeping guys this summer). He can also play C as well as wing so in situations like this it would remove the need to play Dupuis as a C.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-10-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old
01-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Epic Neal Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
Brule will be a RFA after this season, possibly with arbitration rights.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=38

I'd take a flyer on him, I was a big fan of this when he was in junior with the Vancouver Giants.
Yeah I don't see the downside really. You could argue that the cap space he'd take up could be valuable for flexibility near the deadline. But I think it's worth the risk. If he pans out, it could be a steal. However, many people said the same about Bergfors and Shero never took a flyer on him. So who knows?

Old
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Jag68Sid87

There's no way I'd want Antoine Vermette or R.J. Umberger anywhere near our team.

Vermette is signed through 2014-15 @ $3.75 million
Umberger is signed through 2016-17 @ $4.6 million

No thank you.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

Vermette's contract isn't bad at all imo. He isn't the first player I'd go after, but he'd fit with the team for sure.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDefense View Post
Vermette's contract isn't bad at all imo. He isn't the first player I'd go after, but he'd fit with the team for sure.
You mean, a Bylsma type who can't score? Yeah, he'd fit in for sure.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

Vermette can put up a lot of points, especially if you take him off the undisputed crappiest team in the league.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Hottubber

Brule claimed by phoenix.

They had 45 points, pens 46. would b nice to know if we had put a claim on him

Old
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDefense View Post
Vermette can put up a lot of points, especially if you take him off the undisputed crappiest team in the league.
Vermette's career high is 65. Dupuis' is 60. Vermette's a great face-off man and he plays a strong two-way game. On the wing, he's pretty useless. He's your garden-variety complementary forward. Not at all what we need at close to $4 million per.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
JTG

I think Vermette would be a perfect fit for a guy like Malkin. He can play center when need be, he has proven that he can score goals even if he's inconsistent at it, and he plays the gritty two-way game DB likes.

3.75 isn't a bad number for him at all.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:21 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Vermette's career high is 65. Dupuis' is 60. Vermette's a great face-off man and he plays a strong two-way game. On the wing, he's pretty useless. He's your garden-variety complementary forward. Not at all what we need at close to $4 million per.
Dupuis' career high is 60?

Old
01-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Dupuis' career high is 60?
My bad. I have no idea who I was thinking of. Disregard.

Not a Vermette fan, either way. Way too pricey for production. We need slam-dunk top sixers, not 'tweeners.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:34 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Not a big fan of Vermette or especially Umberger. Not at their prices. For that pricetag, I want guys who put the puck in the net with some regularity. I don't care if they aren't gritty, can't take a faceoff, are "one-dimensional," don't grind *****es and aren't going to get in other players faces. Puck. In. Net.

I know they play for a miserable team. I know both are 20+ goal scorers in the past. But Vermette and Umberger are on pace for 10 and 12 goals, respectively. We're all pretty familiar with Letestu -- he has only a few less points than both in something like 15 less games. And that's Mark Letestu.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
JTG

Quote:

Not a Vermette fan, either way. Way too pricey for production. We need slam-dunk top sixers, not 'tweeners.
Vermette is a top 6'er. I don't know how you can say otherwise. His production has been inconsistent on a bad team, but the guy has put up good goal totals in years past.

The fact that he's not performing right now should only be more reason to go after him as CBJ would be selling low. I have no doubt with a healthy roster here, Vermette could produce as much as Kunitz, and be a factor on faceoffs, defensively, and add a little bit of grit. He's also making the exact same salary as Kunitz.

Vermette is a pretty decent bang for the buck.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:

You do know what it costs for slam-dunk top sixers, right?

Old
01-10-2012, 12:31 PM
petrskudra1

I'd rather go after Grabovski than Vermette. Grabo is an UFA after this season though. With Toronto in the hunt it would have to be a hockey trade, and Shero would likely have to pay more than he would want to. Can either play wing reliably?

Old
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
65 points as a career high for $3.75 is pretty decent value. Kunitz' career high is 60 points and that was '06-07 and has the same salary. This is the exact level of player we can afford. He has been inconsistent this season, but in his time with the Blue Jackets, he has averaged 21 goals a season and 51 points (calculated ppg and multiplied by 82). How that equates to a player that can't score is beyond me.

Is he the best player to go after? No probably not. But he's the type of guy we should go after in that his value is low on a team looking for a shake up.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
pensgogo
Rookie User

Vermette is a good choice, but with healthy Sid, Geno and Staal we do not have the room for him. But anyway he is good on spot, two-way forward and deserve his money!

Old
01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:

And you think we're going to find a legitimate sniper for what Vermette is paid? The only guys who score 30+ goals regularly who make as little as Vermette are guys who are still on their ELC deals. If you want a "slam dunk top sixer", you're looking at at least $1.5 to $2 million more than what Vermette makes. So I'm not sure how he's too pricey for his production. He's paid (other than this season) pretty much what someone with his production would be paid.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
65 points as a career high for $3.75 is pretty decent value. Kunitz' career high is 60 points and that was '06-07 and has the same salary. This is the exact level of player we can afford. He has been inconsistent this season, but in his time with the Blue Jackets, he has averaged 21 goals a season and 51 points (calculated ppg and multiplied by 82). How that equates to a player that can't score is beyond me.

Is he the best player to go after? No probably not. But he's the type of guy we should go after in that his value is low on a team looking for a shake up.
my biggest problem with him is that he really loses a lot of his value on the wing. If we do get remotely healthy he isn't worth that contract at wing and I don't think we want to bring him in at that price to be our 3rd line center.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
JTG

He loses his value on winger because he needs a center to play with. It's known fact that CBJ hasn't had a center since Vermette got traded here. I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't he playing wing in Ottawa? He was a pretty good young player there.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensgogo View Post
Vermette is a good choice, but with healthy Sid, Geno and Staal we do not have the room for him. But anyway he is good on spot, two-way forward and deserve his money!
He would definitely help with the Staalkin idea, though.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
mpp9

Vermette is a logical choice imo. He fits in with the system, adds some skill to the lineup, isn't producing so won't cost a whole lot to acquire. But more importantly, can fill in as 2C/3C with the injury bug hitting us again, and when we're healthy, can move up into the top six on the wing.

His contract is manageable going forward. Especially if a combo of Nisky/TK/Sullivan aren't on the team next year.

He's 56.1% on draws this year. He went 60% against Washington and 55% against Boston. I believe 3/5 against Bergeron, 3/4 against Kelly, 2/3 against Backstrom, and 6/10 against Laich.

He brings alot more than Kunitz does, imo. I'd be all for it.

Closed Thread