HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All Trade Rumors/Proposals/Possible Deadline Pickups

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

I wonder if we can pull something like this off.
If Murray accepted that offer he needs his head checked.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Cap is not built up, they have space when they start the year and when players need called up chips away at it daily for as long as they are up.

They had like 1.3 when they started the year and for each player called up chipped away $1000.00 or more (depends on players individual daily cap number)away for each player/day they are on the roster. This is why we see them send player down on long breaks between games to save cap space not build it up.

Edit: Yes. the amount under on that given day. Sorry, I should just wait and get it all down, but keep forgetting to add and end up editing my posts.
I guess my point is that you really have to take the cap on a day by day basis. We have a $347,568 cap ceiling to work with. At this point, we have only banked $108,000. So let's say we stay healthy. We would have between 350-400,000 in banked space. We would only have. $400,000 gives you roughly $10,000 more per day. On top of the Roughly 6,000 per day we would be under. $16,000 per day is what we can afford, and that is best case scenario, without moving anybody. That would leave us with the ability to bring in a player with an Annual Cap Hit of 2.9 million. But, everytime we call somebody up, that number goes down. The ability to call somebody up after the deadline goes away. I would say the number is more realistically at 2 million without moving anybody. Now if Sid is out for the season, different story. The #1 misunderstood element here is, that if Sid comes back, we are not saving any cap room with him being out. You cannot save Bank LTIR money. Actually to the contrary, him being out makes us have to call up guys and get closer or over the cap ceiling, and we end up banking little or nothing.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'd love it if we could find a way to pry Chris Stewart from STL.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
DeadGator401

Chris Stewart, or Ryan Malone. please.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Funk311

I may get burned for saying this, but assuming Sid comes back I'm not sure we need alot more skill up front.

Skill wise I feel we are in a better place than years past. I am not at all saying that Shero should not be kicking tires on struggling teams who make move a great young player though.

But realistically, I would almost rather see us acquire another big body with some skill to play with Staal. A large 2nd/3rd tweener. And focus on building 4 lines we can roll and help "get to our game".

I really am seeing some problems where our identity and our roster are not inline as much as they could be.

Hey, at least we have options.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

STL just gave up one of their best players to acquire Stewart just last year. I'm not sure where anyone is gathering he's available from.

Plus, STL is doing really well right now. Why would they give away one of their best players?

Old
01-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
I may get burned for saying this, but assuming Sid comes back I'm not sure we need alot more skill up front.

Skill wise I feel we are in a better place than years past. I am not at all saying that Shero should not be kicking tires on struggling teams who make move a great young player though.

But realistically, I would almost rather see us acquire another big body with some skill to play with Staal. A large 2nd/3rd tweener. And focus on building 4 lines we can roll and help "get to our game".

I really am seeing some problems where our identity and our roster are not inline as much as they could be.

And how comfortable are you that Sid will still be Sid? Or that he won't go down again? Or that we'll ever find 'our game' again?

We need to stop thinking "oh but when everybody is back"... because that's what has placed us in this predicament already. We didn't do enough last off-season to bring in enough reinforcements in case one of our two superstars would go down again. And they were both question marks going into the season, so we should have known better. We should have taken greater steps to ensure we'd be OK even without Sid.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post

I agree 100%. People have seemed to have lost sight of the fact that we had one of the best records in the league until Tanger went down. I think him, Staal being out and banged up, and the other defensive injuries have been crippling. I still believe with a healthy Crosby we have the best team in the league.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Boocock

I think our Top 6 is fantastic. Our fourth line is great as well, especially when Vitale plays in that slot. Furthermore, we have superb third line wingers that can put up points. As long as Letang comes back, our defense will be top notch, as usual (Despres has been quite a pleasant surprise).

Third Line Center. Letestu couldn't cut it and we traded him. Maybe Jeffrey can. We know Staal can, but he needs to be on the 2nd line since Crosby's out (For those of you who haven't noticed, he's putting up a 37 goals per 82 games clip this year with 15go in 33ga. Is that 2nd line enough for you?).

That's the sort of sneaky move I'd like to see Shero make. Someone with size and physicality preferably. Paul Gaustad has an expiring contract on a poor team. But, there has to be someone better out there. A defensive-minded guy that can shut down the opponent's 2nd scoring line with Staal's line playing against the 1st. Use the fourth line to grind and wear the opponent out.

Until a trade happens, I'll be watching the Penguins go on a huge run through one of the toughest spots of our schedule. Because we will. I have faith in Geno's team. And, right now, this is Geno's team.

Sorry if that suggestion isn't obscure enough. Go Pens.

PS: We can win the cup with Malkin, Staal, Letang, and Fleury. We can't with just Malkin, Staal, and Fleury. Just my .02.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I agree 100%. People have seemed to have lost sight of the fact that we had one of the best records in the league until Tanger went down. I think him, Staal being out and banged up, and the other defensive injuries have been crippling. I still believe with a healthy Crosby we have the best team in the league.
Who knows when we will be getting a healthy Crosby again though, as well as Letang.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
cassius

Chris Stewart or Bobby Ryan would be PERFECT pickups for the Penguins right now.

Physical, tough, scoring acumen, rightys... and they're both underperforming huge this season, which means we could potentially get them on the cheap.

I think the bigger theme is you pretty much have to go with the assumption that Crosby won't be back this season. So you need to be proactive in shoring up our offense if you want to take a serious run at the cup.

We won't be going very far in the playoffs with this current roster.. simply not enough offense. Plain and simple.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
I'm lovin' him right now. He can score, and he can be nasty. I wonder if he'd be a compliment on the wing of one of our top-2 lines. I haven't seen enough of his play to judge him properly, I'm just going by what he does for my Yahoo pool team every year, so I'll defer to your guys' knowledge of him, if you see him more than I do outside of Pens-Devils games. I'd love to hear your thoughts on him, and the idea of him comin' here.

Please discuss.

TIA,
Tweed

This is why I hate these merged threads. I don't think the Clarkson talk has anything to do with Eklund, rumours, proposals, or the trade deadline... so I didn't post it in this thread. Plus I knew it would get buried in here, while everybody's talking about salary cap and Hemsky, and not get any discussion whatsoever.

Clarkson is a whole separate topic, and could be a free agent off-season acquisition for all I care. There's so many different discussions going on in this thread. And I would really like some of your guys' perspective on him, a dedicated discussion on assessment of his game, and his fit in our system.

At this rate, I can't help but wonder why we don't just have 1 thread in this forum and call it "ALL THINGS PITTSBURGH"

Old
01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Who knows when we will be getting a healthy Crosby again though, as well as Letang.
Well, the question is whether he is out for the season or not. If he is, that is a big chunk of change we can spend. Trading other guys to make that room is counterproductive to me.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Sooo, would you guys do Crosby for Getzlaf/Perry?
From a strictly hockey perspective, I would. Getzlaf is one of the best passing centers in the league and can, and has, hit 90 points before. Perry scored 50 last year, and is also a good pest. Both were also major contributers to a cup victory. Their combined cap hit of $11mil ish is a steal. Both are only 2 years older than Crosby. Sid's re-occuring symptoms are also a bit discouraging.

Unfortunately, there would be many cons to a trade such as this.
A) trading away your captain and franchise player in a time of injury doesn't give the franchise a good rap.
B) losing Crosby would mean losing many fans. Let's face it, many Penguin fans are not Penguin fans, they are Crosby fans. Whenever players like Crosby and Malkin aren't in the lineup these people lose interest. He is more than the face of the franchise, and he brings in far more money than Mario pays him.

Hard to say, but Shero will hope for the best and hope Crosby doesn't follow the path of Lindros and Savard.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
This is why I hate these merged threads. I don't think the Clarkson talk has anything to do with Eklund, rumours, proposals, or the trade deadline... so I didn't post it in this thread. Plus I knew it would get buried in here, while everybody's talking about salary cap and Hemsky, and not get any discussion whatsoever.

Clarkson is a whole separate topic, and could be a free agent off-season acquisition for all I care. There's so many different discussions going on in this thread. And I would really like some of your guys' perspective on him, a dedicated discussion on assessment of his game, and his fit in our system.

At this rate, I can't help but wonder why we don't just have 1 thread in this forum and call it "ALL THINGS PITTSBURGH"
Hey I made a thread about Tangradi being sent back down to WBS, which even has it's own prefix (Recalled/Assigned). Yet that got moved into the injury thread for no apparent reason. Not quite sure how somebody being sent down has anything to do with an injury...

Old
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:

Yea what's up with merging threads? When I go to the Penguins HFboards site, I wanna see the discussion threads. I don't wanna search through merged threads to find topics.

Similar thing on the main board and the youtube thread. No, I don't want to click on the youtube thread just to see if there was a cool goal scored tonight. If it's my attention worthy someone will make a thread about it, and the mods shouldn't hide it.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Why do we need to move a dman when we get healthy (or really IF we get healthy)? As I see it we have:

Letang - Orpik
Martin - Michalek
Niskanen - Engelland
Lovejoy

That's our top 7 and will be for the playoffs unless we move a guy like Nisky or Lovejoy. In the offseason, yeah moving a veteran is a possibility, but not now.
true we don't have to move one, but why do a stop gap now if your are going to fix it long term at the end of the year? would not it be better to save as many chips as you can for long term fixs?

Old
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Chris Stewart or Bobby Ryan would be PERFECT pickups for the Penguins right now.

Physical, tough, scoring acumen, rightys... and they're both underperforming huge this season, which means we could potentially get them on the cheap.

I think the bigger theme is you pretty much have to go with the assumption that Crosby won't be back this season. So you need to be proactive in shoring up our offense if you want to take a serious run at the cup.

We won't be going very far in the playoffs with this current roster.. simply not enough offense. Plain and simple.
Please, you are not getting either one of these guys on the CHEAP. In neither case does the player HAVE to be traded because of UFA status. You go after either one and those teams are gonna want something serious for them .... something we don't have or will not want to give up. Y'all make me laugh with this "cheap" stuff.

I do agree with no waiting on Crosby though, but you got to have another plan other than those two guys.

Ruutu is where I would go.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
STL just gave up one of their best players to acquire Stewart just last year. I'm not sure where anyone is gathering he's available from.

Plus, STL is doing really well right now. Why would they give away one of their best players?
Before the year there would have been no chance and it is porbably still pretty unlikely without giving him more time, but he has really struggled this year with just 15 points and has been nowhere near as big a part of their success as he was when he came over last year.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
From a strictly hockey perspective, I would. Getzlaf is one of the best passing centers in the league and can, and has, hit 90 points before. Perry scored 50 last year, and is also a good pest. Both were also major contributers to a cup victory. Their combined cap hit of $11mil ish is a steal. Both are only 2 years older than Crosby. Sid's re-occuring symptoms are also a bit discouraging.

Unfortunately, there would be many cons to a trade such as this.
A) trading away your captain and franchise player in a time of injury doesn't give the franchise a good rap.
B) losing Crosby would mean losing many fans. Let's face it, many Penguin fans are not Penguin fans, they are Crosby fans. Whenever players like Crosby and Malkin aren't in the lineup these people lose interest. He is more than the face of the franchise, and he brings in far more money than Mario pays him.

Hard to say, but Shero will hope for the best and hope Crosby doesn't follow the path of Lindros and Savard.
Just for ***** and giggles...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
James Neal ($4.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($3.800m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($5.325m) / Corey Perry ($5.325m)
Ray Whitney ($3.000m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) / Joe Vitale ($0.600m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m)

DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kristopher Letang ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m)
Brian Strait ($0.600m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.566m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.525m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m) / Brent Johnson ($0.600m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,906,667; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,393,333

Old
01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
hctopcheds11

TBH, I just hope Crosby comes back like normal. Obviously there is a lot that could go wrong but I'm still holding out hope that he will be okay. If he isn't okay, I don't think he would fetch a ton in return so the point to me is moot. The guy just means entirely too much to our franchise to even discuss trading even with his current condition.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Being Gene Malkovich

What would you give up and what do you think it would take if you're not willing to give up that much, to get Rick Nash ($7.8 million per year for 6 more years after 2011-2012)?

Staal + ? (JS is a UFA earlier than Nash and will get roughly $6 mil, maybe a bit more depending on how he develops).

We'd have to move Martin/Michalek/Orpik in the offseason to make some room, but we are expecting Despres to make the jump or be a serviceable #7 and we have Morrow, Strait and Bortuzzo coming up.

I don't think we can trade a defender this year because of our injury luck and uncertainty with Letang.

Options really include Kennedy, Tangradi, Bennet and our 1st/2nd rounders (maybe trade away first from the draft in the summer of 2013).

Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
mpp9

Do not want Nash. Shero would never take on that contract.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Shady Machine

Yeah Nash isn't worth that contract for that term. Especially for a team that has 2 8.7 mil contracts.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Sooo, would you guys do Crosby for Getzlaf/Perry?
Not a chance in hell.

The potential on-ice benefits of Crosby returning outweigh what Getzlaf/Perry can bring regularly. They're great players, but Sid is simply that much better.

Closed Thread