HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

+/-

Old
01-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
+/-

I know, I know - it's a mostly disregarded stat in hockey but it sure is nice to see most of the current Rangers' roster in the positive or even column. A true testament to how defensively sound the system and our players are. Sorry in advance if there's a better thread for this to go in, mods. Just felt it was worth its own merit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-01-07 at 12.56.31 AM.png‎ (127.5 KB, 59 views)

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:07 AM
redfzn

vCash: 500
MDZ's +/- is quite impressive, in regards to stats of course.

Remember his -20 rookie season?

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Stepanformayor*

The fact that Stepan leads all forwards at a +13 and Del Zotto at +25 is pretty impressive at ages 21. Good stuff.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
mti79

No disrespect to anyone, but I think it's humorous how people use +/- as a good measuring stick if it fits their opinion of the player. "Oh, MDZ is a +21 this year. What an improvement!" "Redden is a -13, what a bum!".

But then when it goes against it, then it's irrelevant. "Malik leads the team in +/-? Its only cause he plays with Jagr. The guy sucks."

By and large, I like to look at the numbers, but don't put too much stock into it. At least not enough to argue about it because people bend the stats however they want to....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
No disrespect to anyone, but I think it's humorous how people use +/- as a good measuring stick if it fits their opinion of the player. "Oh, MDZ is a +21 this year. What an improvement!" "Redden is a -13, what a bum!".

But then when it goes against it, then it's irrelevant. "Malik leads the team in +/-? Its only cause he plays with Jagr. The guy sucks."

By and large, I like to look at the numbers, but don't put too much stock into it. At least not enough to argue about it because people bend the stats however they want to....
I agree, but to go from a -20 to a +21 is a huge improvement. MDZ has been very steady defensively, no one can deny that. Malik was pretty steady, but he was soft as they come. Anyone who watched him objectively knew that when he was putting up those huge +/- numbers, that he really was one of the better Dmen on the team. A high +/- of course says that you're on the ice for more goals for than against, but players don't usually get high +/- by luck.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote