HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Henrik On WFAN With Francesa At 5 PM

Old
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Dantes19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post
Ok, last comment by me on this since you're getting pretty angry over nothing. You're opinion about the interview is heavily influenced by your opinion of the host as your quoted post shows. If you had no idea who the host was you may be less harsh on the interview. Possible?

I'm not getting angry; everything I typed can easily be said in a mindset other than anger. If I had no idea who they who host was, and just read a transcript of it, I'm sure that I would still find it embarassing, amateurish, ill-prepped, and a waste of time. It's not just the guy doing the interview, it's the complete lack of knowledge, interest, and prep time, as well as the terrible question selection.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
If anyone would mind posting some of the good questions that were asked, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

For an informed hockey fan who regularly follows the sport, there really were no good/insightful questions asked.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Guys, chill. You know how when Eklund is brought up, we always say "discuss the rumor, not the source?" Same thing applies here.

I mean honestly, things are good right now. Are we really going to get all bent out of shape over Fatcessa? Again, chill.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Guys, chill. You know how when Eklund is brought up, we always say "discuss the rumor, not the source?" Same thing applies here.

I mean honestly, things are good right now. Are we really going to get all bent out of shape over Fatcessa? Again, chill.

I understand where you're coming from, but when it's a guy who's conducting the interview, that's materially different than a guy who simply reports a rumor. Since it's an interview, Francessa is inherently a part of the conversation; you can't separate the interviewer from the interview as easily as you can Eklund from the rumor.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this thread reads pretty tamely. Since Francessa is the one who conducts and executes the interview, he (and his lack of knowledge about the interview subject) should be fair game for discussion IMO.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

This. Please guys. Does every thread have to be turned inti a p*ssing match?

If you don't like the guy, don't listen and don't comment. It's a real PIA to wade through everyone's nonsense just to get to anything that relates to the OP.

01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
ghirshorn

If anyone missed it, the interview is up on WFAN.com

ghirshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Blueblood9

The interview was requested by the rangers. I think the rangers have the right idea. Its seems like an attempt to get the rangers to more people. Makes sense to go with Francessa since he has the most listened to sports radio show in the area. Ya he doesnt know much about the sport but maybe hell get a copy of the game or start paying a lil more attention.

As we know hockey is still a niche sport so an attempt to get to more of a mainstream coverage its a plus in my opinion.

I just listened to the interview with my GF and her as a casual fan thought it was a good interview and somewhat informative to people who dont know much about the sport.

Blueblood9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Mike Francesa has had the afternoon drive time slot since September 1989. He co-hosted the show with Chris Russo until July 2008. Mike must be doing something right to keep the slot for longer than some people on this board have been alive. Andrew Gross is a moron to criticize Francesa for not watching the game. Gross doesn't know anything until he is told by the Rangers. He has covered the Rangers for the Journal News and now the Bergen Record. I don't believe he has ever broken a story. I read everything and he never has. He should do his HW.

EJ Hradek tweeted on Monday morning he felt/strong possibility Staal was going to play on Monday afternoon. Hradek is close with Barry Melrose from their ESPN days and now they work together at the NHL Network. The Rangers reporters including Gross got scooped on the biggest Rangers story of the season by Hradek and Melrose. John Buccigross too.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Henrik was a class act. I would have hung up the phone after he said he didn't even watch the game.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
McMonster
THANKS BOB

Guys it wasn't even bad

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

It was brutal. The guy didn't watch the game he can go **** himself as far as I'm concerned.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Listen to the people who call into his show, RB, and you'll see what he's doing right. Haaaate the people who call into the FAN.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Our media is clueless.Adam Shein on loadmouths today said Brad Richards was responsable for getting the Gaborik line going,and Carlin agreed with him 100 percent..It was pathetic.They are all talking heads with no cred..

I miss the days of reading Frank Brown of the Daily News and Walt McPeek of the Star Ledger.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:26 PM
UlfNilsson

Re: local sports announcers, newspapers, etc. not focusing at all on hockey? Good. Much like hardcore, it's our thing. Leave us alone. This is a *********-free zone (for the most part).

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I'm not a football fan, but I at least know the major historical moments of the giants. And I'm not a professional sports "journalist." it's embarrassing that he can't do a little research or know simple facts like when the rangers won the cup and whos on the team. Francesa is really just not a smart person at all. Nothing but a loudmouth. A few months ago a friend of mine called in and asked if Eli keeps blowing games in the fourth quarter, would the giants consider bringing in a replacement, someone like Scott Hall or Kevin Nash. Francesa had NO idea he was being screwed with and went on a rant about how Eli is the franchise.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:38 PM
clmetsfan

I missed the interview so I was hoping to see some comments about what was said, but instead I get four pages of emo Rangers fans *****ing about they don't get to sit at the cool kids table at lunch.

Jesus people, grow the **** up.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM
gmerger37

The thing that really pisses me off on wfan is when that moron carton continually calls brad richards bob richards.

Like ok we get it, you don't like hockey and feel the need to bring down boomer whenever he brings it up, but have some respect for a professional athlete. These are the same athletes that make your job as a blow hard possible.

Its shameful that kind of disrespect goes on, imagine the backlash if carton kept calling carmelo anthony chris anthony?

gmerger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
Guys it wasn't even bad
I agree.

Although I must admit the chips on the shoulders of some of these posters regarding hockey fandom is comical and entertaining.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
MSG the place to be*

Andrew Gross might be the worst and most annoying post game questioner ever. Hate that guy's delivery of questions.

Was it the best interview ever? No. But I heard Henrik talking with Roenick/Recchi, Hradek, Androl, and McGuire at various points this weekend and nothing they asked was so special. The Francesa interview was probably the best of them all because it was more conversational.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Some of this stuff upsets me too (at least do some basic friggin research...) but at the same time...

When I look at my facebook wall and see tons of clueless Giants/Jets/Yanks posts it makes me appreciate the positive aspects of hockey not being the most mainstream sport.

As bad as this board gets at times I would take it over the comments section of espn.com every day of the week.

01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Henke going on FAN with Francesca isn't about reaching the hardcore hockey fan. It's about trying to capture the interest of that sports fan that got caught up in yesterday's excitement. And, Henke's just so charismatic that maybe he hooks a few more fans. As a Ranger fan, I know I'm likely getting fluff, but, aside from Brooks, do we get much more from the local beat writers?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmerger37 View Post
The thing that really pisses me off on wfan is when that moron carton continually calls brad richards bob richards.
I didn't know about that since I am no longer in the NYC area and don't listen to them. To me that is disrespectful considering the fact that Brad was nice enough to go on their show and give a pretty damn good interview either the day he signed or the day after.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
I didn't know about that since I am no longer in the NYC area and don't listen to them. To me that is disrespectful considering the fact that Brad was nice enough to go on their show and give a pretty damn good interview either the day he signed or the day after.
Carton is a clown.

I refuse to listen to that show. Boomer isn't even bad, but Carton alone just makes the show unbearable.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Anyone still want to complain about the lack of hockey talk on FAN?
This is the point I've been preaching on these boards for years. Rangers fans complain about the lack of coverage on "main stream" outlets like WFAN or ESPN radio or even the local newspapers but all the people that work at those outlets are so oblivious to all things hockey that it's just frustrating for hockey fans when they do attempt to cover the sport.

Hockey fans can get good coverage, we just have to work a little harder. The blogging community around the NHL is tremendous but too many fans associate the word "blogger" with some pimply kid sitting in his basement complaining about line combinations. Ask Predators fans, Caps fans, Oilers fans and others about the coverage their teams get from the blogosphere... the guys writing about those teams are putting out some of the best hockey coverage around, and that's including MSM outlets like TSN and ESPN.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

My humble advice to everyone here. Get SiriusXM, listen to NHL home ice. it's fantastic.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote