HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not-quite-midyear, Kings out of playoffs.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:08 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Well, to be fair, we never got to see a HEALTHY Allison and Deadmarsh for an extended period of time.

How would Kings fans judge DT's tenure differently if Allison and Deadmarsh were actually able to play together for 3 - 5 seasons... The Kings have never had a big, skilled forward like Allison. I was hoping Boyle would be that guy, but... oh well (and I realize he's still not that guy w/ NYR)

And did you just use the word "elite" when describing the Kings? HA!
That is a serious lowering of expectations.
Whether we did or didn't, point is the Kings for far to long hung their basket on two guys that were injured a lot. DT didn't move on from them quick enough. It'd didn't help what Andy Murray did. I love AM, but his insistence on telling injured players they can't be around the team basically turned Allison and Deadmarsh into myths and legends to their own teammates.

We judge DL for letting go of guys like Purcell and Moulson, we should judge DT and the past Kings for riding an injury-ladden squad for far to long as well. I question if we ever would have made the playoffs under DT at all if he didn't get Felix Potvin for nearly nothing and have him play like it was 1993 all over again.

And yes, I used elite. I should clarrify. I meant to say elite core. I think our core now is greater than the core back then (though Palffy was the best player of both groups IMO).

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazokngstc View Post
The future is all that's boded well for quite a while. I can understand the desire to look at the overall strength of the club by comparison, but as of last season, big parts of the future got traded for pieces of the present. So far, the result has been disappointing.
Agreed. I never understood why we did that trade or why so many people supported it (the Penner deal I mean). DL rarely steps up to make a big trade, and then he does it on that one? I hope whatever pro scout sold him on that is gone, shipped to scout the Afghanistan National Team in downtown Baghdad.

But that aside, the future is still here, as much of our core is still quite young. That trade won't kill us, but it sure did empty the pot in terms of what is available as trade chips moving forward. Teubert also would be nice to have in the system to replace guys like Greene/Mitchell down the road. Only reason so many on here hated on him IMO is because we took him instead of Myers, which isn't his fault. teubert will be a very steady defenseman in this league, like a Steve Staios. Nothing glamourous, but a nice, steady hand.

Anyways, back on topic, all things considered, I'd gladly take where we are now versus back then. Similar cores, but one largely on the downside of their careers and injury-riddled, the other still rising.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Whether we did or didn't, point is the Kings for far to long hung their basket on two guys that were injured a lot.
We judge DL for letting go of guys like Purcell and Moulson, we should judge DT and the past Kings for riding an injury-ladden squad for far to long as well. I question if we ever would have made the playoffs under DT at all if he didn't get Felix Potvin for nearly nothing and have him play like it was 1993 all over again.
see post 24. "We are one injury away from disaster"

Today's team is one injury away (Kopitar or Richards) from the season being totally lost.

You saw how they struggled when Richards was out a while back, and last year after Kopitar went down, you knew it would be a short playoffs - and if the season had gone another week, they likely would have missed the POs.

Sure, without Kopitar, the team rallied to win 2 games, but that level of play without your go-to guy is unsustainable in the POs.

This seemingly constant DT blame is waaaay out of control. He's responsible for Kopitar and Quick being here - can't we all leave it at that?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
see post 24. "We are one injury away from disaster"

Today's team is one injury away (Kopitar or Richards) from the season being totally lost.

You saw how they struggled when Richards was out a while back, and last year after Kopitar went down, you knew it would be a short playoffs - and if the season had gone another week, they likely would have missed the POs.

Sure, without Kopitar, the team rallied to win 2 games, but that level of play without your go-to guy is unsustainable in the POs.

This seemingly constant DT blame is waaaay out of control. He's responsible for Kopitar and Quick being here - can't we all leave it at that?
Not bashing DT in this thread at all really, sorry if it comes across that way. I'm just comparing the old core to the new, and DT was GM of the old.

I agree with the Kopitar statement, but that's a big part of why I'm glad we went out and got Richards. DT went out and got Stumpel - who he gave up to get Allison in the first place.

We are an injury away, I agree, but that's still better than being in the situation we were in a decade ago when we were stuck with two injured players in Allison and Deader, and another in Pallfy who was pretty brittle too. Not to mention Blake for a while couldn't stay healthy either.

Our depth now isn't perfect, but it's better than it was a decade ago.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan

Our depth now isn't perfect, but it's better than it was a decade ago.
I'll drink to that!

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

No

We all need to panic.

We are one injury away from disaster.

The sky might be falling in the near future.

ALLOT of teams are one injury away from disaster and they are still considered to be legitimate contenders for the cup this year.

We have a NEW coach who is doing a solid job so far AND has the team playing pretty good hockey early on.

We have an entirely different look to our line up so we might be seeing some of our players developing into being more supportive and more productive then they previously have been giving us the potential for greater depth or at least a greater ability to keep playing solid hockey IF IF IF we get that one injury that could cause us disaster.

Excellent way to live your life while enjoying/supporting your team.

We do have needs but some of us are jumping way out there on their speculation.

Geez

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Mazokngstc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
No

We all need to panic.

We are one injury away from disaster.

The sky might be falling in the near future.

ALLOT of teams are one injury away from disaster and they are still considered to be legitimate contenders for the cup this year.

We have a NEW coach who is doing a solid job so far AND has the team playing pretty good hockey early on.

We have an entirely different look to our line up so we might be seeing some of our players developing into being more supportive and more productive then they previously have been giving us the potential for greater depth or at least a greater ability to keep playing solid hockey IF IF IF we get that one injury that could cause us disaster.

Excellent way to live your life while enjoying/supporting your team.

We do have needs but some of us are jumping way out there on their speculation.

Geez
TG, the point is that the team is, once again, teetering. I don't know about you, but I'd like to see them on solid ground for a while--the suspense is killing me! I'm not advocating "panic", I'm raising the issue that this team is RIGHT WHERE IT WAS five years ago, in the proverbial "black hole"--not strong enough to make a deep run, not bad enough to draw a great pick. DT got stuck here, too, and tried to trade for the present, while changing coaches--didn't work that time, not going to work this time either. A coaching change cannot jump this team from 8th to 1st. Only significant roster changes are going to do that--either we're in for another rebuild after this season (almost certainly losing Stoll, Penner, Parse, and Hunter, possibly Mitchell, Fraser, and Westgarth, with nobody on the farm to step into those spots--that's 30% of the roster!), or the team is going to struggle again. The cap isn't an issue, per se, but to spend 90% of the cap and get mediocre results isn't sitting well with me, and I would presume that AEG feels the same way, which opens up the possibility that if this season goes south, they cut the budget.

The only way to make forward progress is to start winning. It's possible that one or two FA's could come our way this offseason, but the track record on that is lousy--unless this team is dominant, it's going to be an expensive dogfight to get help that way. DL is going to have to give up more of the future through trades to help the present, and that's a sketchy proposition when the club is even somewhat shaky.

To answer a separate point, NO cup-contending teams are one injury away from disaster (ignoring the idea that most teams would be in a mess if they lose their #1 goalie). NYR, once a laughingstock, is legitimately leading their division after losing a top D-man for half a season. That's a deep, well-coached, committed squad that pulled together to weather a storm. If Brad Richards gets his bell rung, and is out for the rest of the year, they're not going to fall apart. Same goes for a number of other teams, SJ included. They traded Heatley and are still chugging along, racking up wins. VAN is basically in the same boat--an injury wouldn't derail their season.

I've been advised to "have faith". I've been advised to "believe". What I believe is that there's a lot of work to be done here, and I have faith that it's not going to get better until the work is finished.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
TG, the point is that the team is, once again, teetering. I don't know about you, but I'd like to see them on solid ground for a while--the suspense is killing me! I'm not advocating "panic", I'm raising the issue that this team is RIGHT WHERE IT WAS five years ago, in the proverbial "black hole"--not strong enough to make a deep run, not bad enough to draw a great pick. DT got stuck here, too, and tried to trade for the present, while changing coaches--didn't work that time, not going to work this time either. A coaching change cannot jump this team from 8th to 1st. Only significant roster changes are going to do that--either we're in for another rebuild after this season (almost certainly losing Stoll, Penner, Parse, and Hunter, possibly Mitchell, Fraser, and Westgarth, with nobody on the farm to step into those spots--that's 30% of the roster!), or the team is going to struggle again. The cap isn't an issue, per se, but to spend 90% of the cap and get mediocre results isn't sitting well with me, and I would presume that AEG feels the same way, which opens up the possibility that if this season goes south, they cut the budget.

The only way to make forward progress is to start winning. It's possible that one or two FA's could come our way this offseason, but the track record on that is lousy--unless this team is dominant, it's going to be an expensive dogfight to get help that way. DL is going to have to give up more of the future through trades to help the present, and that's a sketchy proposition when the club is even somewhat shaky.

To answer a separate point, NO cup-contending teams are one injury away from disaster (ignoring the idea that most teams would be in a mess if they lose their #1 goalie). NYR, once a laughingstock, is legitimately leading their division after losing a top D-man for half a season. That's a deep, well-coached, committed squad that pulled together to weather a storm. If Brad Richards gets his bell rung, and is out for the rest of the year, they're not going to fall apart. Same goes for a number of other teams, SJ included. They traded Heatley and are still chugging along, racking up wins. VAN is basically in the same boat--an injury wouldn't derail their season.

I've been advised to "have faith". I've been advised to "believe". What I believe is that there's a lot of work to be done here, and I have faith that it's not going to get better until the work is finished.
This just isn't true. When DT left the 1st line had been decimated by injuries and with nothing in the pipeline whatsoever in terms of defense or goaltending the Kings were sunk. They couldn't score without Allison, Palffy, and Deadmarsh, and they couldn't stop other teams from scoring.

EVEN IF the Kings fail to make the playoffs this season or are out in the 1st round again the difference between the state of the organization at the end of the season will be light years ahead of where it was when Dave Taylor left.

I find too many people are ALL ABOUT the current season. The truth is the window is just opening for this team. Kopitar, Richards, Doughty, Johnson and one of Quick/Bernier are going to be here for a very long time.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Kopitar, Richards, Doughty, Johnson and one of Quick/Bernier are going to be here for a very long time.
The question is, _which_ Kopitar, _which_ Doughty, _which_ Johnson?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Bandit

Quote:
I know, it's all mathy and stuff, kind of spooky. Sorry to freak you out. Tell you what, I'll make it up to you--here's a great extrapolation tip from those of us in the hobby. Next time you're at a poker table in Vegas and you flop 3 aces, and the turn is an ace, put a TON down on the river coming an ace, too--the trend guarantees it's a sure thing!

Seriously, I get why people hate this kind of analysis, but the only way to be more accurate is to wait until after the season ends. Kind of pointless, then. Granted, this is only slightly less pointless, but I did the numbers for my own benefit and thought I would share.
Nobody's "freaked out." The Kings are in the same place they were last season, maybe they miss the playoffs, maybe they don't. You should definitely spend the next 4 months doing mathematical analysis and worrying about it though, it'll really help a lot I'm sure.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
The question is, _which_ Kopitar, _which_ Doughty, _which_ Johnson?
That is always the question with young players. We know what we have in Quick and Richards, and probably Doughty. Even though I think Doughty is an air head I am seeing signs of him improving under Sutter. That and Doughty has "it" how ever you want to define "it" and he seems to want to perform on the big stage.

Johnson is fine as a supporting role player (in a very large role), but he doesn't HAVE to reach his full potential in my opinion for the Kings to succeed. He just needs to be solid.

For me Kopitar is the wild card. Will he find it within himself to impose his will on the opposition instead of being merely a very good 2-way center?

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Only significant roster changes are going to do that--either we're in for another rebuild after this season (almost certainly losing Stoll, Penner, Parse, and Hunter, possibly Mitchell, Fraser, and Westgarth, with nobody on the farm to step into those spots--that's 30% of the roster!),.
OH NO! How will we replace those guys!

Talk about spin. You do realize we've had basically no contribution from Parse in two years, Hunter was a castoff signing, of which there are dozens each summer, Fraser plays 4th line minutes and Westgarth is an enforcer right? All four could be replaced out of the bargain bin at the end of the off-season for league minmum deals and I doubt we'd miss a step.

Not to mention I'm sure Nolan, Clune or Cliche could step in and fill at least two of those spots and we wouldn't see much of a difference in production from what we get now from those guys.

As for for the other three, only Mitchell would be a huge loss, and we could likely resign him. If not, we could replace him for what he makes now and likely have a fairly similar performing blueliner without a cap increase. Stoll and Penner's cap hit would bring us a better producing player almost guaranteed. They have been dreadful.

Right now, the only one of the guys you mentioned I'm at all worried about losing is Mitchell, and I'm not all that worried in all honesty.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:24 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Maybe our different points of view come from how much time I spend around our prospects to some point. I have been doing the job that I do for several years and we have so much more depth right now then we ever have and that is just a fact. Why or when DL is going to move one or two of them to address our most serious need (speed/sniper wng) is beyond me but make no mistake, we have some seriously talented kids down on the farm(s) who will be studs in the NHL one day and allot of them are ready to start their NHL careers today.

I understand what you are saying though but to me we have never been where we are today with the exception of just prior to the 99 trade in so far as having a team that has been built from within and patiently guided towards becoming a true contender for the cup.

The biggest mistake we can make right now is to make some ground shaking deal that will strip us from our established young talent and that seems to be what some of us our advocating. I think another mistake would be to throw in the towel on what we have built to this point by firing DL.

I am not being a DL apologist either, just saying that while DL's ego may have sold us on a 5yr plan the reality has shown us that it has taken allot of time, patients and fight to get where we are and I am willing to give it another couple of seasons while we continue to bring up a couple more of our talented kids and give then a chance to make the team (Toffi and AA along with Kozy next year will upgrade our skill/talent level up front) and our GM time to figure out how to best utilize our overabundance of talented PMD's as well.

Me, I am hoping that we will make good on at least one of the rumored moves out there to bring us an ELITE and currently talented available wings but then it would have to be done without ripping us apart so I am both willing to be a little patient and also a little understanding that it might take time for the right deal to come together.

I knew that Gagne wasn't going to be the right guy for what we need (just too many injuries to a really talented guy for him to be able to provide exactly what we need) but was hopeful that Penner might be. If you look at Penner I think he was worth the gamble even without his being who we all wanted him to be.

While i too am tired of having to be patient, I remember when Cowboy Bill leaving was supposed to be a "good move" for us and how bringing in "Schultzy" was supposed to be "just the kind of player we need to bring the team to the next level" or how dealing away Jay Wells for Doug Crossman was a "Smart move" as well but I am finally seeing us as being deep enough and having a solid enough core to where we are so much better off than I can remember that I am willing to wait a bit longer and see what happens.

That's all I am saying, just think that since we have a new coach who is doing very well and has the team playing some good hockey that it would be a bit short sighted to get overly concerned at this point and that we would be better served by allowing DS and the team the time to really gel before we go all apey.

Last edited by etherialone: 01-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
OH NO! How will we replace those guys!

Talk about spin. You do realize we've had basically no contribution from Parse in two years, Hunter was a castoff signing, of which there are dozens each summer, Fraser plays 4th line minutes and Westgarth is an enforcer right? All four could be replaced out of the bargain bin at the end of the off-season for league minmum deals and I doubt we'd miss a step.

Not to mention I'm sure Nolan, Clune or Cliche could step in and fill at least two of those spots and we wouldn't see much of a difference in production from what we get now from those guys.

As for for the other three, only Mitchell would be a huge loss, and we could likely resign him. If not, we could replace him for what he makes now and likely have a fairly similar performing blueliner without a cap increase. Stoll and Penner's cap hit would bring us a better producing player almost guaranteed. They have been dreadful.

Right now, the only one of the guys you mentioned I'm at all worried about losing is Mitchell, and I'm not all that worried in all honesty.
I doubt Mitchell re-signs. He's at that stage of his career where he needs to win now and the teams on the cusp will covet him in free agency. I could see him signing in Detroit or one of the usual suspects, lifting the Cup with them and then giving an interview about how great his time in LA was. As for the Kings I think they are in position to pull off a Palffy-like deal. They have movable pieces, they have some young players that have value, it's just right now some of these pieces aren't producing for the Kings. The trade deadline should be interesting, I would be shocked if the current team looks the same after that day.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
DaAnimal

if this team wants to succeed, DD has to be dominant, I don't expect him to have a lot of points but he needs to be in control of the game. He needs to go out there and just have fun. Forget about how much he's getting paid as a player. Just go out there, crack a little joke with teammates, punk a few *****es, and hipcheck the **** out of people.

As far as the playoffs, I'm confident that we will make it. 4-0-3, last 10 games 6-1-3.

Going forward, we will need to find a finisher. Go hard after Pairse this offseason.

Resign Mitchell

Win the CUP x2

Happy

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
if this team wants to succeed, DD has to be dominant, I don't expect him to have a lot of points but he needs to be in control of the game. He needs to go out there and just have fun. Forget about how much he's getting paid as a player. Just go out there, crack a little joke with teammates, punk a few *****es, and hipcheck the **** out of people.

As far as the playoffs, I'm confident that we will make it. 4-0-3, last 10 games 6-1-3.

Going forward, we will need to find a finisher. Go hard after Pairse this offseason.

Resign Mitchell

Win the CUP x2

Happy
DD's the man but I think expecting too much from a kid who hasn't had his 23rd bday yet. I think ALL of the kids have to find balance and continue to play TEAM hockey in order for us to win. We can beat anyone on any night or even win a series or two if we do.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Mazokngstc

Quote:
Maybe our different points of view come from how much time I spend around our prospects to some point. I have been doing the job that I do for several years and we have so much more depth right now then we ever have and that is just a fact. Why or when DL is going to move one or two of them to address our most serious need (speed/sniper wng) is beyond me but make no mistake, we have some seriously talented kids down on the farm(s) who will be studs in the NHL one day and allot of them are ready to start their NHL careers today.

I understand what you are saying though but to me we have never been where we are today with the exception of just prior to the 99 trade in so far as having a team that has been built from within and patiently guided towards becoming a true contender for the cup.

The biggest mistake we can make right now is to make some ground shaking deal that will strip us from our established young talent and that seems to be what some of us our advocating. I think another mistake would be to throw in the towel on what we have built to this point by firing DL.

I am not being a DL apologist either, just saying that while DL's ego may have sold us on a 5yr plan the reality has shown us that it has taken allot of time, patients and fight to get where we are and I am willing to give it another couple of seasons while we continue to bring up a couple more of our talented kids and give then a chance to make the team (Toffi and AA along with Kozy next year will upgrade our skill/talent level up front) and our GM time to figure out how to best utilize our overabundance of talented PMD's as well.

Me, I am hoping that we will make good on at least one of the rumored moves out there to bring us an ELITE and currently talented available wings but then it would have to be done without ripping us apart so I am both willing to be a little patient and also a little understanding that it might take time for the right deal to come together.

I knew that Gagne wasn't going to be the right guy for what we need (just too many injuries to a really talented guy for him to be able to provide exactly what we need) but was hopeful that Penner might be. If you look at Penner I think he was worth the gamble even without his being who we all wanted him to be.

While i too am tired of having to be patient, I remember when Cowboy Bill leaving was supposed to be a "good move" for us and how bringing in "Schultzy" was supposed to be "just the kind of player we need to bring the team to the next level" or how dealing away Jay Wells for Doug Crossman was a "Smart move" as well but I am finally seeing us as being deep enough and having a solid enough core to where we are so much better off than I can remember that I am willing to wait a bit longer and see what happens.

That's all I am saying, just think that since we have a new coach who is doing very well and has the team playing some good hockey that it would be a bit short sighted to get overly concerned at this point and that we would be better served by allowing DS and the team the time to really gel before we go all apey.
I can understand where you're coming from--I thought the Penner deal was worth the gamble (even if the price seemed a bit steep) as well. And I agree that Gagne was a stretch, but it only cost cap space, so it didn't seem to be a big deal, as long as the expectation was that he wouldn't play a full season. Parse was supposed to be his backup in a breakout year, but once that failed, nothing replaced him--that's a major issue. Getting into the playoffs is a strong "maybe" at this point--no, it's never a guarantee, but nobody predicted this team to be out of a seed at the halfway point--the overwhelming consensus was this team should fight for the division title all year, and be no lower than 5th by the playoffs.

Manchester may be able to help with some of the issues in the coming seasons, but my strong feeling (especially at that LW 1/2 spot) is that DL is going to have to find more help than that. Obviously, the catch-22 is in the reality that trading youth for that help will reduce the amount of available youth, which may compromise future performance.

That's not a major issue, as far as I'm concerned--actually, the last three years have shown the team valuing the youth program better than I've ever seen. I give credit to management for that. Watching the Colorado game, it became painfully apparent that the lack of scoring isn't a coaching issue. We can beat up on Kompon (DB does that enough for anybody, really), but he's not on the ice. Missed nets, bad reads, bad positioning, bad passes, turnovers--those are not in Kompon's diagrams. Neither is standing still on the ice, which isn't just a Penner issue anymore.

I'm happy with what the coaching staff is doing, but I want to see the team solidify before DL's head is on the block and he guts the team to get into the playoffs. We did that already. Coaching is just not enough to get it done, it's a good first step, but finding scoring help is a requirement, not an option. That's squarely on DL, as far as I'm concerned, and if it doesn't happen well before the deadline, we're gonna need a lot of bananas around here...

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Johnny Utah

Can you believe the Kings only have 11 fighting majors....Ranked 25 out of 30 teams in the league. I figured with TM/Stevens and now Sutter they would be a bit more physical...Guess, I was wrong. Greene has his gloves cemented on these days.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:37 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Can you believe the Kings only have 11 fighting majors....Ranked 25 out of 30 teams in the league. I figured with TM/Stevens and now Sutter they would be a bit more physical...Guess, I was wrong. Greene has his gloves cemented on these days.
Doesn't surprise me, Simmer is gone, Clifford is trying to play hockey more, Westy is riding the pine more (need speed in the lineup).

The Team is not going to be Boston on the physical side of the game. I never visioned Greene as a fighter, he will do it but doesn't look too.

I would like the Kings to play more physical(Van game). You know it has to creep into players minds going to play Boston (that the entire night you are going to get beat up).

Boston on most nights makes teams EARN every inch of ice they get.

Last edited by damacles1156: 01-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
.... the organization at the end of the season will be light years ahead of where it was when Dave Taylor left.

I find too many people are ALL ABOUT the current season. The truth is the window is just opening for this team. Kopitar, Richards, Doughty, Johnson and one of Quick/Bernier are going to be here for a very long time.
Pretty much this, especially "...the window just opening."

The franchise is about where the Kings where the month or so before poor Craig Johnson singlehandedly started taking the JAZ line apart. Except we have a much much better defense and goalie situation.

Everybody just keep their fingers crossed so we get through next month without further injuries.

and pay attention to the words of wisdom below:

Quote:
... The biggest mistake we can make right now is to make some ground shaking deal that will strip us from our established young talent and that seems to be what some of us our advocating. I think another mistake would be to throw in the towel on what we have built to this point by firing DL.

Last edited by Duc620: 01-04-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
DD's the man but I think expecting too much from a kid who hasn't had his 23rd bday yet. I think ALL of the kids have to find balance and continue to play TEAM hockey in order for us to win. We can beat anyone on any night or even win a series or two if we do.
Disagree. DD demanded the big money contract for his "top tier" (dare I say elite?) services and he got it.

Now it's time for him to perform - and at a very high level. So far, he is NOT a shutdown D-man, he gets beat wide every game and then he has to scramble. And his offense still needs a lot of work.

What is he, 2-3 years away from being the total package? I certainly dion't see it yet.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Doesn't surprise me, Simmer is gone, Clifford is trying to play hockey more, Westy is riding the pine more (need speed in the lineup).
Hey man, westgarth has 15 goals in my NHL 12 season

Anyway getting back to topic, i guess tonell youre right, i might have been a little hard on DD but even he admitted that he's taking the game more professionally. I agree, these guys are paid to play hockey, but when DD first started with us, he treated every game like a GAME. He was having fun out there and its all about having fun. Now he even admits that hes out there to do his job.

I guess if you look at the stats, what we really need is for penner, stoll, and williams to step it up. THey are having a pathetic season.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
I can understand where you're coming from--I thought the Penner deal was worth the gamble (even if the price seemed a bit steep) as well. And I agree that Gagne was a stretch, but it only cost cap space, so it didn't seem to be a big deal, as long as the expectation was that he wouldn't play a full season. Parse was supposed to be his backup in a breakout year, but once that failed, nothing replaced him--that's a major issue. Getting into the playoffs is a strong "maybe" at this point--no, it's never a guarantee, but nobody predicted this team to be out of a seed at the halfway point--the overwhelming consensus was this team should fight for the division title all year, and be no lower than 5th by the playoffs.

Manchester may be able to help with some of the issues in the coming seasons, but my strong feeling (especially at that LW 1/2 spot) is that DL is going to have to find more help than that. Obviously, the catch-22 is in the reality that trading youth for that help will reduce the amount of available youth, which may compromise future performance.

That's not a major issue, as far as I'm concerned--actually, the last three years have shown the team valuing the youth program better than I've ever seen. I give credit to management for that. Watching the Colorado game, it became painfully apparent that the lack of scoring isn't a coaching issue. We can beat up on Kompon (DB does that enough for anybody, really), but he's not on the ice. Missed nets, bad reads, bad positioning, bad passes, turnovers--those are not in Kompon's diagrams. Neither is standing still on the ice, which isn't just a Penner issue anymore.

I'm happy with what the coaching staff is doing, but I want to see the team solidify before DL's head is on the block and he guts the team to get into the playoffs. We did that already. Coaching is just not enough to get it done, it's a good first step, but finding scoring help is a requirement, not an option. That's squarely on DL, as far as I'm concerned, and if it doesn't happen well before the deadline, we're gonna need a lot of bananas around here...
Yes, I agree completely.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Surprisingly enough, on the main board, I haven't seen a post yet that predicts we miss the playoffs.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1074841

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:39 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Surprisingly enough, on the main board, I haven't seen a post yet that predicts we miss the playoffs.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1074841
Id wager a lot of those people don't even know the Kings are dead last in scoring.

They probably think it's a temporary slump, and have no idea it's been going on for pretty much the entire year.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote