Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teemu: a faint hope?

Old
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Fidel Astro

vCash: 500
Teemu: a faint hope?

Look, I realize there has been a ton of speculation about Teemu Selanne maybe jumping ship from the Ducks to join a contender in the playoffs, but he's always been pretty adamant that he's sticking with his team until the end.

In this article from the Orange County Register (http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/01/...6/#more-105026) he's still saying he's going to stick with Anaheim, but it actually sounds like he might consider a trade if the Ducks are for sure out of the running.

Assuming the Jets are in the playoffs, and considering his crazy reception when he came here last month, I can't imagine he'd want to come to any team but the Jets.

Some points from that article:

Quote:
But with his team possessing a 10-21-6 record and being a near lock at missing the postseason, the franchise icon might have to consider another tough call — whether to ask for a trade to a Stanley Cup contender and leave.

In what could truly be his final season, Selanne skated around the topic of possibly leaving the Ducks on Monday as they returned to practice at Honda Center.
Quote:
“I’ve read some stories in the papers too about what the situation could be,” said Selanne, who took the day off for maintenance. ”To be honest, I haven’t really thought about that too much. I still believe that we can make the playoffs. I don’t want to think about that thing before we’re out.
Quote:
What if the Ducks are still spinning their wheels in the coming weeks up to the Feb. 27 trade deadline?

“I haven’t really thought about that too much,” Selanne said. ”Obviously it has been a frustrating year so far. I’m waiting for that roll that we can be hot for a while. I really believe anything can happen. After that, you know, we can talk about this later and see how it goes."
So it's not, you know, "yes, I want to be traded if we don't make the playoffs," but it's not just pipe-dreaming Winnipeggers suggesting it might happen now. It gives me a bit of hope. I would love to see Selanne in a Jets jersey one more time.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:58 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

short answer: no
long answer: **** no

we need to stop living in the past.
we are not a 41 year old teemu away from winning a cup.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

Simply put: if you have even a remote shot of making a run in the playoffs (which you do, if you make the playoffs) and you have an opportunity to stock up (at a modest price tag) for that run, you do it.

The fact that Teemu may be available and fits the bill perfectly in regards to what we need is just an extremely great bonus/coincidence

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I have to admit I'm getting tired of the Teemu talk.

Everyday there's some new or rehashed quote that leads some to believe he's going to sign here.

We can talk about it as much as we want but in the end that's all it is. I for one am over it at this point.

Lynk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Simply put: if you have even a remote shot of making a run in the playoffs (which you do, if you make the playoffs) and you have an opportunity to stock up (at a modest price tag) for that run, you do it.

The fact that Teemu may be available and fits the bill perfectly in regards to what we need is just an extremely great bonus/coincidence
At what cost?
a high pick and a young prospect?
for a 41 year old that may have a year left in him
and is a UFA at the end of the season

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:07 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
At what cost?
Welcome to the world of sports...

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
At what cost?
I guess you missed the whole mention of a "modest price tag"

I'm not saying break the bank for Teemu. But would I pay something along the lines of a 3rd rounder+Mark Flood for a month or two of Teemu Selanne during the stretch run?

Old
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
I guess you missed the whole mention of a "modest price tag"

I'm not saying break the bank for Teemu. But would I pay something along the lines of a 3rd rounder+Mark Flood for a month or two of Teemu Selanne during the stretch run?

This topic has born torn through every which way in the Jets speculations thread. It is actually the most recent discussion on there; check it out.

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
This topic has born torn through every which way in the Jets speculations thread. It is actually the most recent discussion on there; check it out.
Of course it has. And now I'm discussing it here because someone asked about it here.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 917

I hate that David Hester!

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
angrymnky

I bet he'd love the incessant "are you coming back next season?" questions he'd get from every Winnipegger if he did come here at the end of the season. That'd be enough to keep me away.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Nah, let the Flash retire and race cars or whatever else he likes to do. Hang 'em up, great career, say hello the HOF.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
NightHawk18
Rookie User

No he will never come back. Let him retire peacefully. And thanks for the great memories. Time to look forward into the great future ahead.

NightHawk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I just cannot see Selanne waiving his NTC for any team. For so long we've heard about Selanne's loyalty to particular teams and now we're supposed to believe he'd be willing to go to any of 29 teams?

I feel like Winnipeg would have a bit of an advantage, especially considering the emotional high he felt when he was here less than a month ago. The obvious questions remain (will we make the playoffs? will the Ducks miss the playoffs? what will the price be? would Chevy be comfortable paying it?), but at least Selanne is at least acknowledging he might want to be dealt at the deadline.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

It'd be nice if only to have the people with the Jets 2.0 Jerseys that say Selanne not look out of place. Winnipeg would go nuts, and he'd almost certainly help the team score goals. I don't think it'll happen, but it's nice to dream.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
NightHawk18
Rookie User

One should think with one's brain rather than heart. Teemu's time is almost up. Will it really be worth it? As pointed out by a member. A young prospect? Draft pick?

NightHawk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:33 PM
s1g

It's a longshot. However, I'm keeping my home jersey blank until February 28th.......just in case.

s1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
tntkid

If Winnipeg could pick up the remainder of his contract & possibly give up a third round draft pick than I say go for it.

Selanne playing with Kane & Burmistrov would be a killer line.

Stores would not be able to keep Selanne Winnipeg Jets 2.0 items on the the shelf.

Let Selanne finish where he started his NHL career & this would be a gift to the old school fans that have suffered for the last 15 years.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Tarks
True North

Quote:

Teemu is currently 21st in the league in the points race with 36 points, 7 points more than the Jets leader Kane. If you don't think Teemu would be an asset to this team in a playoff run then you are delusional. No one here is talking about winning the cup. We are trying to be a playoff contender. Due to his age we wouldn't want to give away too much to get him but if you could get him at the right price it is a smart move IMO.

The Jets need a setup man and Selanne can fill this void.

Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 800
We'll have to wait and see.

Doesn't seem to plausible to me though, based solely on him being rooted in Anaheim.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
Never say never

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Tdoe42

I said this in the summer as a CRAZY idea and its just becomes more likely all the time... Hey if its at a "Modest Price" why not

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Obviously I'd love to have Teemu back for the stretch run, but only at the right cost. If we have the chance to acquire him, but the price is too high I'd pass. And that applies to every player.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:33 PM
C Plus

I'd love it and all but no way does it happen. Even though Anaheim getting into the playoffs would be a miracle, he will get the opportunity to go out playing for the world championship with Finland.

Last edited by C Plus: 01-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.
C Plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Just quite it. It ain't going to happen. If he goes anywhere, it'll be a team that is pushing for the Cup. I'm pretty sure Teemu is more interested in finishing his career with another ring rather than coming back to a team that he played for over 15 years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I am as big a Teemu fan as the next guy. But for me, Winnipeg Jets 1.0 were finally put to rest on December 17, 2011. It's all about living the now and the future. The past is the past.

And to think of it, it's time to put my user name to bed too. The Jets Hot Line (Anders, Ulf and Bobby) were my teen age heroes, but it's time to honour my new true heroes. I need to put some thought into a new user name.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote