HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can we afford Travis Moen?

Old
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
he's our max talbot, i'd give him same money but less years, try to sign him now, 1.5-1.75 for ~3 years.

keep him, and give me two more travis moens.

but he will probably get us a second at the deadline, so that's something to consider

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm pretty sure he can return at least a 3rd round pick at the deadline. He's a pretty good asset for a playoff team. Worse players have gone for more.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
2 million 2 years sounds about right. People seem to forget how much we wanted a player like him for our bottom lines, and now we have him people want to get rid of him. I want Moen on my team! heck if we can get another one like him, I'm all for it!
I agree with you. Guys who can play defense, drop the gloves and score timely goals are exactly what this team needs. Put Moen on the 4th line with White and another tough guy and it will definitely change the team dynamics.

Montreal is hurting because we do not have a proper third or fourth line.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I agree with you. Guys who can play defense, drop the gloves and score timely goals are exactly what this team needs. Put Moen on the 4th line with White and another tough guy and it will definitely change the team dynamics.

Keep Moen and find a solid physical 4th line center good at FO and add White to the mix and we would have a great 4th line.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I have nothing against Moen, but let another team overpay for him after this anomaly of a season he's having. He's not irreplaceable.
If he's willing to sign for a fair price I'd definitely prefer to keep him. I think a lot of people underestimate what he brings to the team. He's been asked to do more and thankfully for us he's been able to give more. As a 4th liner he'd be perfect. 3rd liner useful. 2nd or 1st liner he's a big guy who can fill in now and then.

For a fair price I'd definitely keep him.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
he's our max talbot, i'd give him same money but less years, try to sign him now, 1.5-1.75 for ~3 years.

keep him, and give me two more travis moens.

but he will probably get us a second at the deadline, so that's something to consider

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
2 years @ 1.5/1.7mill or get a 2nd 2012 wich he would get at trade deadline
Numbers are just right. If traded, pick or decent prospect.

I would try to retain Moen and I would even entertain a 3 year contract (at most) - he is only 29 yrs old.

The only thing that lacks in Moen's case is a little more offensive upside that would solidify 3rd role and complementary winger in the top6.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
MXD

He needs to be shopped.
Nothing against him as a player.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Miller Time

2 years @ 1.75M
3 years @ 1.5M

put those offers on the table right now, if he doesn't agree than trade him for highest possible return btw now and deadline

I'd be looking at either:
- mid-2nd rounder
- 3rd and a decent physical prospect
- boom/bust type prospect that has struggled so far/not lived up to draft billing... like Beach/Mcfarland/Petrecki)
- a quality goaltending prospect with AHL success

no matter what though, he needs to be either re-signed or traded... if he walks in the offseason it will be yet another asset management screw up on our part.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Keep Moen and find a solid physical 4th line center good at FO and add White to the mix and we would have a great 4th line.
That's what really chapped me this last offseason and why I turned completely against Pierre Gauthier. Both Rupp and Konopka were available. And what did he do? Nothing.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Subban76

Quote:
That's what really chapped me this last offseason and why I turned completely against Pierre Gauthier. Both Rupp and Konopka were available. And what did he do? Nothing.
Rupp I agree, but Konopka is garbage and I never wanted that piece of crap here. Yes he is great at FO, but he stinks at playing hockey. Never liked him.

There will be others this summer.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
He needs to be shopped.
Nothing against him as a player.
agreed...if habs can get a 2rd for him...that would be awesome

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
agreed...if habs can get a 2rd for him...that would be awesome
A 2nd for him and resign him this summer, that would be AWESOME!!!!

Old
01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He's the only player on the team that wouldn't get bullied by Benoit Pouliot.
I'd like seeing Pouliot try taking on Ryan White

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Rupp I agree, but Konopka is garbage and I never wanted that piece of crap here. Yes he is great at FO, but he stinks at playing hockey. Never liked him.

There will be others this summer.
And, chances are that if Gauthier is still here this summer, we will see the same results............nothing.

Edit. So far this year, Konopka has 3 goals and 2 assists for the Sens and is a - 1. Face off percentage is 59.5%.

How does this compare to anyone on our 4th line?

Last edited by SouthernHab: 01-03-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I'd like seeing Pouliot try taking on Ryan White
I think Pouliot would beat White tbh. Extremely overrated fighter by Habs fans. KO waiting to happen.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I think Pouliot would beat White tbh. Extremely overrated fighter by Habs fans. KO waiting to happen.
Maybe, but the day that Pouliot KO's White. I give up watching hockey and take up folk dancing with my wife.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Well we can certainly afford him on the cap and I like him but if we are selling and he can get us a second round pick I think you have to deal him especially since he is the kind of player you can pick up on short term/cheap deals in free agency. Moen is a good guy to have in the playoffs but selling logically means not making the playoffs anyway.

I mean we can find a reason to keep every player on this team (Moen is a good bottom 6 guy, Cammy scores a lot in the playoffs, Gill is good on the PK,Darche talks french ) but in the end if this is how we think during the trade deadline we'll end up with the same bad team next year. If we have to be bad, do it while giving more icetime to young players and get all the extra picks you can.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Pouliot had trouble with Ference, White pounded on Boychuck luckily for Boychuck he had a visor protecting him otherwise his face would of been split open.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Moen is our swiss army knife. I'd prefer to keep him. But he will have suitors if we are obvious sellers

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaFranks View Post
Maybe, but the day that Pouliot KO's White. I give up watching hockey and take up folk dancing with my wife.
I never said that Pouliot would KO White. But White with his small size and style of fighting will get KTFO soon by someone.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
habfaninvictoria

This is where PG (or whomever) job gets difficult. We need to restock our system, which means draft picks, but we also need to field a competitive team with not much wiggle space in cap. I like Moen and I'd like to see him on our team in the role he's built for 4th line energy and PK time.

We'd get a 2nd round pick, but it won't be very high. I could see doing a deal with Vancouver, who could use a guy like him to maximum effect.

If he'll extend for 2-3 years at 1.5 per, then done. We'd be better team today if we'd offered Moore a reasonable contract.

I'm also going to assume we won't be able to move any of our contracts. Hal Gill will be gone for sure and probably AK. I'd like to offer AK an extension too, but I doubt we can afford it.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
This is where PG (or whomever) job gets difficult. We need to restock our system, which means draft picks, but we also need to field a competitive team with not much wiggle space in cap. I like Moen and I'd like to see him on our team in the role he's built for 4th line energy and PK time.

We'd get a 2nd round pick, but it won't be very high. I could see doing a deal with Vancouver, who could use a guy like him to maximum effect.

If he'll extend for 2-3 years at 1.5 per, then done. We'd be better team today if we'd offered Moore a reasonable contract.

I'm also going to assume we won't be able to move any of our contracts. Hal Gill will be gone for sure and probably AK. I'd like to offer AK an extension too, but I doubt we can afford it.
Once gomez is burried in the AHL, Habs will be able to keep everyone, no problem, I did the math.

Old
01-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Krnage

watch Boston will sign him next years and he will score 20 goal

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

3rd(Eller DD and AK)and 4th(Moen Darche Nokelainen White) lines would be fine if White Gionta and Gomez were not out.

I agree we could use a scrapper as 12th or 13th forward, I think Hodichuk would be the guy, can hit and not hurt your defensively and pretty tough to boot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote