HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can we afford Travis Moen?

Old
01-03-2012, 05:10 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
2 years @ 1.75M
3 years @ 1.5M

put those offers on the table right now, if he doesn't agree than trade him for highest possible return btw now and deadline

I'd be looking at either:
- mid-2nd rounder
- 3rd and a decent physical prospect
- boom/bust type prospect that has struggled so far/not lived up to draft billing... like Beach/Mcfarland/Petrecki)
- a quality goaltending prospect with AHL success

no matter what though, he needs to be either re-signed or traded... if he walks in the offseason it will be yet another asset management screw up on our part.
We don't agree often but if push comes to shove by deadline I definitely agree with these comments. I would for sure make those offers otherwise traded.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
The Doors

To lose him over a couple of hundred grand would be awful. Especially considering underrated players like Halpern, Kostopoulos, Moore, Pouliot (yeah I said it) have all walked for free. Guys who all chipped in offensively and brought something more to the table, too.

Gauthier tries to replace them with nothing, vanilla players like Darche, Nokelainen, Enqvist, etc and it doesn't work.

Role players are called that for a reason. They play a big ****ing role on the team, and I'm tired of watching this team's third and fourth lines being a rag-tag collection of doghoused youngsters, stop-gap plugs, and borderline NHLers.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Well we can certainly afford him on the cap and I like him but if we are selling and he can get us a second round pick I think you have to deal him especially since he is the kind of player you can pick up on short term/cheap deals in free agency. Moen is a good guy to have in the playoffs but selling logically means not making the playoffs anyway.

I mean we can find a reason to keep every player on this team (Moen is a good bottom 6 guy, Cammy scores a lot in the playoffs, Gill is good on the PK,Darche talks french ) but in the end if this is how we think during the trade deadline we'll end up with the same bad team next year. If we have to be bad, do it while giving more icetime to young players and get all the extra picks you can.
Quoted for truth. If I had to chose between Moen or a gamble on another 2nd rounder/ b level prospect, i choose the pick. Moen is overachieving right now and you got to move non-core guys like him when their value is high. That's gauthier's biggest problem.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:42 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Once gomez is burried in the AHL, Habs will be able to keep everyone, no problem, I did the math.
You seriously think they'll do this..... I doubt it.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Pandemic

Yeah, he's clearly replaceable. That's why we have a great bottom 6 filled with Travis Moens.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Moving him would be dumb. We want to get tougher, not softer. You keep Moen, White and you add some other fighters.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Yeah, he's clearly replaceable. That's why we have a great bottom 6 filled with Travis Moens.
Ya, because our bottom 6 is why we're losing games. If you don't have a contending core, who cares about the rest of the team. It's like focusing on wearing a really nice suit jacket when your wearing a tank top and sweats. If we were close to competing, I'd keep him. He's a top bottom 6 guy and he brings cup experience. But at the end of the day, we're not close to contending, so why not move him for picks and prospects, which may or may not end up playing a bigger role for the team in the long run. It's a deep draft, and there are a ton of teams jostling for a playoff spot. There would be a bidding war.

You need to build from the core out, you don't have to keep every guy you like. Moen is attractive trade bait and it serves our team more in the long run by trading him.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
googlymoogly

I wonder if he won't sign if we could trade Moen and a 2nd or 3rd rounder to a top team that would give us their first rounder.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Moving him would be dumb. We want to get tougher, not softer. You keep Moen, White and you add some other fighters.
If you can move him for a 2nd rounder then sign a similar UFA in July you come out ahead. You get 2-3 2nds and trade up to the 1st round.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Pouliot had trouble with Ference, White pounded on Boychuck luckily for Boychuck he had a visor protecting him otherwise his face would of been split open.
Yet Brian Lee manhandled White.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
You seriously think they'll do this..... I doubt it.
Yes. I think Gomez as seriously brought himself out of this team with this year's performance. The only way he can avoid it is if he comes back and as a great 2nd half, which I doubt.

They almost have no choice with the Kaberle addition. I did the Math and they would have to get rid of 1 or 2 players otherwise and make this team even worse. I think PG got approval too burry Gomez eventually before acquiring Kaberle.

There's no way this team can improve and retain its core of good players as long as Gomez and is 7.3M cap hit are there. I doubt the Habs can sell another 2 year of disaster and misery to their fans who are claiming Gomez's head for a while now. Molson can't afford to have the fans abandon this team when he just paid a ****load for it.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I'm all for rebuilding, retooling and prospects. Most of us are...but i'm not sold on trading moen(assuming he's willing to accept a fair deal) for a 3rd or something. He's not a star, not even close, but he's a useful player and not the typical 4th liner. He can score some goals, hit, fight and kill penalties and he's a winner. As much as picks and all that seem nice, unless the price is too high or moen attracts a good return, you keep him. In fact I'd even like to sign Pahlsson this summer and bring a legit checking line under the fold.

Keeping AK would be ideal and adding a buy low candidate with size in David Moss would be great as well.

Kostitsyn-Eller-Moss
White-Pahlsson-Moen

Would be a solid bottom 6 IMO.

Before anyone else says it, i'm not talking about top 6, they have their own problems. Guys like Cole, Plekanec, Pacioretty and DD(so far so good) are all keepers IMO. IMO, between Cammalleri and Gionta one has to go. Gomez contract is obvious, we need another top 6 center(preferrably trading for a 1st line one) and we'll have a solid team if we round out D by swapping kaberle and getting a guy like brad stuart in his place. IMO anyway. Irrelevant mostly but felt like it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Known goal scorer, television star and Swift Current Superman. How will we be able to stop the bidding war that will clearly take place?
arriverderci , he is as replaceable as another pack of sugar in my coffee

folks we stink and cant pay nearly 2 mil on mediocore bottom 6 forwards when I have too much stupid money not producing

he is no Chris Kelly whi is a premier third liner who can put up 40-50 points

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Known goal scorer, television star and Swift Current Superman. How will we be able to stop the bidding war that will clearly take place?

folks we stink and cant pay nearly 2 mil on mediocore bottom 6 forwards when I have too much stupid money not producing

he is no Chris Kelly who is a premier third liner who can put up 40-50 points

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

Hmmm Kelly is a solid player having a career year in term of offence. He's 31 year old and has never reached 40 points. This isn't about Moen not being a "premier third liner", you can bet that if Boston was in the same place as us in the standings Kelly would be trade bait. In fact, Boston got Kelly for a 2nd from Ottawa last year. We just happen to be a lot closer to last year's Sens than this year's Bruins.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Hmmm Kelly is a solid player having a career year in term of offence. He's 31 year old and has never reached 40 points. This isn't about Moen not being a "premier third liner", you can bet that if Boston was in the same place as us in the standings Kelly would be trade bait. In fact, Boston got Kelly for a 2nd from Ottawa last year. We just happen to be a lot closer to last year's Sens than this year's Bruins.
I agree though that Moen at 2 mil is a tad expensive, he is on pace for 20 goals but his career highs are 11 goals and 21 points and he will be 30 in April.

I wouldn't go much higher than 3 years and 1.5-1.6/year. 2 years 3.2 or 3 years 4.5. Front load 2 mil the first year so he is easier to trade if he becomes expendable.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:37 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree though that Moen at 2 mil is a tad expensive, he is on pace for 20 goals but his career highs are 11 goals and 21 points and he will be 30 in April.

I wouldn't go much higher than 3 years and 1.5-1.6/year. 2 years 3.2 or 3 years 4.5. Front load 2 mil the first year so he is easier to trade if he becomes expendable.
I actually said I would trade him for a 2nd. He's a very good player but if we are sellers, get the pick and sign similar guy on a cheap deal(or resign him ).

I mostly wanted to point out how "not as good as Chris Kelly" was pretty bad reason not to retain him since Kelly himself got traded for a 2nd from a team selling at the deadline just last year. Also "premier 40-50 pts third liner" just reeks of "what have you done for me lately" since Kelly has never hit even 40 pts in his career.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
OpenIceHit

The guy is good on the PK, always there to protect his teammates and can score some goals. Why the hell everyone wants to trade that guy?

Under 2M per, I don't see why we should walk away from him?

Oh I see!! Let's keep Cammalleri on the PK. Let's ask Darche to protect our guys.

Honestly, we would need another Moen on this team. And for those who thinks there will be plenty on Moens on July 1st, you'll be sorely dissapointed! Darche and Nokkolebeleinen (both players signed as UFA) are not exactly what I called "bottom two line player with grit and willing to fight to protect his teamates, and can score and play on the PK" type of guy.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Maliki2

You know your team if ****ed when you have three pages about how we "can't" afford Travis Moen. LOL

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post

best season : 38 pts.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
xposbrad

I like Moen, for what he's paid and what he brings he's definitely worth it. This team would be weaker than a bantam A team if we get rid of him. Don't talk to me about Ryan White who's smaller and can't fight and who will not put up the goals like Moen can. Offer him 2m/yr for 2 years, anything above that and we should pass.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit View Post
The guy is good on the PK, always there to protect his teammates and can score some goals. Why the hell everyone wants to trade that guy?

Under 2M per, I don't see why we should walk away from him?

Oh I see!! Let's keep Cammalleri on the PK. Let's ask Darche to protect our guys.

Honestly, we would need another Moen on this team. And for those who thinks there will be plenty on Moens on July 1st, you'll be sorely dissapointed! Darche and Nokkolebeleinen (both players signed as UFA) are not exactly what I called "bottom two line player with grit and willing to fight to protect his teamates, and can score and play on the PK" type of guy.
My first priority would be to sign him, but the numbers have to make sense. You can't pay 2 mil for a guy to mostly play 4th line. 1.5-1.6 max

Look at the UFA list, there are others like that...Torres Kelly Gaustad Pahlsson Moore Campbell Tootoo Paille Burish Thornton McLeod Kostopoulos Halpern Prust Asham

Old
01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I have nothing against Moen, but let another team overpay for him after this anomaly of a season he's having. He's not irreplaceable.
This

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:10 PM
DumFries

He's no fighter but he is one of the most physical players on this team. Letting him go would make this team even weaker. Anything more than 1.5 mil. would be overpayment.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This is easy. You get whatever draft pick you can for him now and part ways.
You can always call him up on July 1, although I highly doubt that should be necessary.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote