HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Can we afford Travis Moen?

Old
01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
If you let him go for a pick, you better pray they get SOME toughness over the off season because they'd be completely devoid of any without Moen. Plays on any line, has decent hands, goes to the dirty areas and kills penalties. We need more Moens, not less.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:51 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
3rd(Eller DD and AK)and 4th(Moen Darche Nokelainen White) lines would be fine if White Gionta and Gomez were not out.

I agree we could use a scrapper as 12th or 13th forward, I think Hodichuk would be the guy, can hit and not hurt your defensively and pretty tough to boot.
No, that 3rd line is not fine.

It is fine if you look at the 3rd line as a line with declining talent compared to the 1st and 2nd line.

But its not. The third line should be defensive minded checking forwards. Eller, yes, perfect for the 3rd line. DD?? Kidding me?? Too small to be on a checking line. AK?? Does not perform well as a checker.

And that is the problem with the Habs over the last few years. You start out with talent and as the talent level diminishes, you simply place them on the 3rd and then the real scrubs fall into the 4th line and then roll them all. That is idiocy and that is why we have not been competing for a Cup in many many years.

Regarding the 4th line, Darche and Nokelainen do not belong on any 4th line anywhere.

The attitudes and the culture of just lumping players in some mish mash of lines has to change if we are to be competitive.

1st and 2nd for scoring. 3rd for checking. 4th for toughness. Wins championships. Rolling 4 lines accomplishes not much.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I'd like to keep Moen, ideally.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:49 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

It is fine if you look at the 3rd line as a line with declining talent compared to the 1st and 2nd line.

But its not. The third line should be defensive minded checking forwards. Eller, yes, perfect for the 3rd line. DD?? Kidding me?? Too small to be on a checking line. AK?? Does not perform well as a checker.

And that is the problem with the Habs over the last few years. You start out with talent and as the talent level diminishes, you simply place them on the 3rd and then the real scrubs fall into the 4th line and then roll them all. That is idiocy and that is why we have not been competing for a Cup in many many years.

Regarding the 4th line, Darche and Nokelainen do not belong on any 4th line anywhere.

The attitudes and the culture of just lumping players in some mish mash of lines has to change if we are to be competitive.

1st and 2nd for scoring. 3rd for checking. 4th for toughness. Wins championships. Rolling 4 lines accomplishes not much.
most GOOD teams arent built that way anymore...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:12 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

funny how the majority wanted moen gone last year but now that he's popped in a few goals, he's somehow valuable again. He's been a steady soldier for montreal throughout his tenure. The only difference is that he's scoring at a higher rate this year.

Guys like moen are always in demand at the deadline, the habs could easily move him to a contender and get something for him. If you are a seller at the deadline, you sell this guy. Moen helps your team with versatility, and is most valuable to teams who are pushing for a cup run. The habs are not there, so you take what you can get for him today, and then address what you lost down the road, because the habs have greater and more elusive needs than travis moen. When the habs find themselves gearing for a cup push, they will find another moen internally or on the market themselves.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Most of the teams who have been successful since the lock out have a 3rd line built more with skill than a checking/shutdown line. Even Boston who is built more pre lock out than post lock out, had Peverley Ryder and Seguin on the 3rd line at different times in the playoffs.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:11 AM
MJN79

Moen could actually fetch a good return, the Habs would benefit from having another pick. I am sure, without looking at the UFA list, a similar player to him can be signed in off season.
Stocking up on picks should be a priority now.

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
funny how the majority wanted moen gone last year but now that he's popped in a few goals, he's somehow valuable again. He's been a steady soldier for montreal throughout his tenure. The only difference is that he's scoring at a higher rate this year.

Guys like moen are always in demand at the deadline, the habs could easily move him to a contender and get something for him. If you are a seller at the deadline, you sell this guy. Moen helps your team with versatility, and is most valuable to teams who are pushing for a cup run. The habs are not there, so you take what you can get for him today, and then address what you lost down the road, because the habs have greater and more elusive needs than travis moen. When the habs find themselves gearing for a cup push, they will find another moen internally or on the market themselves.
At the end of the day he definitely brings value to the team, as you said grit, size, PK and toughness, but the contract has to fit. I'm not a fan of spending a fortune on role players when guys like Parise or Suter might hit the UFA market.

At 1.25 mil Moen is very valuable, at 2.0 mil chances are he won't live up to the contract.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
At the end of the day he definitely brings value to the team, as you said grit, size, PK and toughness, but the contract has to fit. I'm not a fan of spending a fortune on role players when guys like Parise or Suter might hit the UFA market.

At 1.25 mil Moen is very valuable, at 2.0 mil chances are he won't live up to the contract.
Yes I'm sure they would be thrilled to play in Montreal. We ain't signing either of those guys especially the way things are going this year and the joke we have become around the league with this language debate. I don't expect a busy summer in the FA aspect for the Habs

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:18 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

I won't even deny that I've jumped ship on players before, however Moen was one of the players I was always defending last year when people ragged on him or wanted him gone, even said he was useless. How people can be so stupid when it comes to judging a player I'll never understand. It's like if he doesn't put up Ovechkin numbers he's a bum to some folks He was fine last year and yet a noticeable majority of people on here were haters. The people who defended him with me (I actually think maybe you were one of them) will remember it was like 5 haters to 1 ratio. I just don't see how people could hate on a role player like Moen that much to the point where 80% of people didn't like him unless some folks around here are very easily influenced by friends, family and the media. He's done nothing to justify being thrown under the bus by anyone. He's always exceeded what he's been signed to do for us.

It makes me to a big -->

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:23 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
Moen could actually fetch a good return, the Habs would benefit from having another pick. I am sure, without looking at the UFA list, a similar player to him can be signed in off season.
Stocking up on picks should be a priority now.
I looked. Not much out there of Moen's calibre for $1.5M. He should be made a 2 year offer before the deadline. If he doesn't sign, then move him.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

A pick is like an unhatched, uncandled egg. You don't always know what you're getting, What kind of egg would the Habs get in exchange? Probably someone who won't make it in the NHL?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I looked. Not much out there of Moen's calibre for $1.5M. He should be made a 2 year offer before the deadline. If he doesn't sign, then move him.
He plays hard and is tough, so let's get rid of him, right? From what I can tell, we need to keep players like that. I like Ryan White too, but why not keep BOTH?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Picaroon

I would be okay with 2mil. For the most part, anything under 4mil isn't going to end up being a significant cap burden to the team.

I don't see the point in spending time this off season looking for a replacement for Moen just to save .5 on the cap sheet. He has had his ups and downs here but all in all he's been a good addition.

So screw replacing him. Why not compliment him with another player of a similar mold?

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:58 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
He plays hard and is tough, so let's get rid of him, right? From what I can tell, we need to keep players like that. I like Ryan White too, but why not keep BOTH?
I did say offer him a 2 year contract now. It's if he won't re-sign then move him.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
poetryinmotion

One thing that's for sure, is that if Moen is dangled at the deadline there will be a lot of demand. I say, if the deal is enticing enough, say a 2nd pick and a legit prospect, we should pull the trigger rather than re-signing him. Even if we cannot immediately replace his toughness.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
One thing that's for sure, is that if Moen is dangled at the deadline there will be a lot of demand. I say, if the deal is enticing enough, say a 2nd pick and a legit prospect, we should pull the trigger rather than re-signing him. Even if we cannot immediately replace his toughness.
Depends on how the team has scheduled it's roids. Looks like a rash of roid injuries hitting this year. These small guys might have hit a wall for now. So, in that case, this core might be done.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote