HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
KarlSen

vCash: 500
The Winter Classic is THE big US marketing event for the NHL. Nice buzz, great vibe, and Torts pees in the sandbox. Of course the NHL is ticked off.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Everyone is *****ing about Torts comments and the bad calls.

But if for a second you think the league can be bought and influenced as many of you claim. What makes you think that it hasn't benefited the Rangers this year ? Huge market, one of the original 6, yadda yadda yadda ? We are in first place. Can any of you honestly say the rangers have earned the spot they are in if you really think the league can be influenced as some of you claim ?

Or is it the league is only on the take when it is against the Rangers ?

Or the league only influences big games like say the stanley cup playoffs or just the winter classic ?

As many have said. Torts questioning the calls made etc = no problem, but when he says the game can be bought and sold for entertainment purposes it puts the game in TV category and not Sports.
How about, the game can be bought when it's the single most viewed NHL event of the year, on a major broadcast station and OT would increase interest/ratings?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that "the fix is in" in most games. But in a situation like the one we just saw, it is pretty obvious that the refs DID try to influence the game. Not because they didn't want the Rangers to win, but because they wanted to encourage a more dramatic finale. I don't see why that's not believable. The concept that, under the right circumstances (for the most part, when enough money is involved) the outcome of the game can be "nudged" by the league to try and profit the most doesn't have to mean that the entire regular season/playoffs is a fraud and that the NHL has an agenda in every game.

I think for the most part the sport is honest as we see it. Occasionally, in rare circumstances like the WC (or maybe if Pittsburgh were one point out of 8th place in the last game of the season ) I think it's conceivable for the league to "want" a specific outcome and try to influence it through the officiating. The biggest problem with the WC was that it was not subtle at all. But I believe that they wanted OT, not for a specific team to win.

It still sucks and shouldn't happen at all and I'm glad Torts spoke up, but I think it's the way things are in our league.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
The Winter Classic is THE big US marketing event for the NHL. Nice buzz, great vibe, and Torts pees in the sandbox. Of course the NHL is ticked off.
To me there was no need for it and thats why they are pissed. I said it before and I will say it again, I have no idea why Torts hates Avery so much, they are soooooo much alike.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
How about, the game can be bought when it's the single most viewed NHL event of the year, on a major broadcast station and OT would increase interest/ratings?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that "the fix is in" in most games. But in a situation like the one we just saw, it is pretty obvious that the refs DID try to influence the game. Not because they didn't want the Rangers to win, but because they wanted to encourage a more dramatic finale. I don't see why that's not believable. The concept that, under the right circumstances (for the most part, when enough money is involved) the outcome of the game can be "nudged" by the league to try and profit the most doesn't have to mean that the entire regular season/playoffs is a fraud and that the NHL has an agenda in every game.

I think for the most part the sport is honest as we see it. Occasionally, in rare circumstances like the WC (or maybe if Pittsburgh were one point out of 8th place in the last game of the season ) I think it's conceivable for the league to "want" a specific outcome and try to influence it through the officiating. The biggest problem with the WC was that it was not subtle at all. But I believe that they wanted OT, not for a specific team to win.

It still sucks and shouldn't happen at all and I'm glad Torts spoke up, but I think it's the way things are in our league.
So you don't think the league has any integrity at all and makes decisions based solely on monetary gain.

You know I think there might be some owners who would have an issue with their teams being denied a playoff bid so that another franchise gets to profit.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Bardof425*

The man said what everyone was thinking. the fact that it is plausible is what threatens the league and that is why the fine is so big. If it was ludicrous they would have shrugged it off.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:59 AM
pld459666

.q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
The man said what everyone was thinking. the fact that it is plausible is what threatens the league and that is why the fine is so big. If it was ludicrous they would have shrugged it off.
disagree.

The fine was as big as it was (should have been bigger) because the insinuation that the league was on the take insulted alot of very good and honest people both at the league level and at the network level.

It insulted me as a Rangers fan. And I'm sure it insulted alot of other people throughout the league.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post

Agreed, I don't think the officiating was part of some anti-Rangers conspiracy, but rather it was an attempt to make the game as "entertaining" as possible. The NHL is trying to the grow the game and they are well aware that casual fans and non-hockey fans are tuning in. Pushing the game to OT and possibly a shootout is a way to maximize the drama and entertainment potential. I have a feeling if the roles were reversed and the Rangers were down a goal in the 3rd, the calls would have been in our favor.

Perhaps the officials took it upon themselves and decided "let's give these viewers a real show." Or maybe Bettman or NBC did play in a part in it. We'll never know. What I do know is that I have never seen a game like that where the officials were doing everything in their power to ensure a team would tie it up in the 3rd.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
fiedy88

I feel like starting a KickStarter for this, but once we raise 30K, donate it to the Garden of Dreams.

fiedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But why should anyone watch then? If on any given night or stage the game might be bought or sold, I have no reason to keep tuning in, it means the sport has no integrity.
Dude none of the four pro leagues has integrity or ethics in the amount you're claiming they do. One poster had it dead on, either Walsh is the most corrupt or incompetent ref in history or the league passed down instructions on keeping it "close". Its one or the other.

I can't believe Ryan Callahan maintained his composure after his call. He was literally reeled in on the hook and Walsh gave him a penalty.

Last edited by doakacola*: 01-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.
doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
disagree.

The fine was as big as it was (should have been bigger) because the insinuation that the league was on the take insulted alot of very good and honest people both at the league level and at the network level.

It insulted me as a Rangers fan. And I'm sure it insulted alot of other people throughout the league.
If you took a poll of hockey fans who watched that game, do you really beleive a significant majority wouldn't say the refs at a minimum engaged in bias referring?
Do you really beleive they wouldn't? I venture it would be in the range of 70% of NHL fans would say it was intentionaly biased officiating.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:48 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedy88 View Post
I feel like starting a KickStarter for this, but once we raise 30K, donate it to the Garden of Dreams.
I would donate if it was going to Garden of Dreams. Donate in the name of torts and Ranger fans everywhere.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
NikC

Quote:
disagree.

why are you insulted?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
fiedy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I would donate if it was going to Garden of Dreams. Donate in the name of torts and Ranger fans everywhere.
exactly what I was planning to do, should we go for it, call it "Supports for Torts"?

Old
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
To me there was no need for it and thats why they are pissed. I said it before and I will say it again, I have no idea why Torts hates Avery so much, they are soooooo much alike.
That's usually who hate each other the most.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
fiedy88

It says in the KickStarter guidelines that portions of raised funds can't be used to donate to charity but I found this other site called gofundme.com.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
disagree.

Where was the insinuation at a league level? Seemed to me he was speaking about the refs & the network. And when you think of it, both of them have conflicts of interests in the matter...something that I'm sure that Tortorella was aware of. The refs because one of them was a native of Philly & the network because it's owned by a company headquartered out of Philly with a chairman that also happens to be the owner of the Flyers.

It's not far fetched to think that both NBC & the refs were leaning towards seeing Philly tie it up and seeing the calls that were actually made, I think there's something to it.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
nafsregnar27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But think of what your saying. Your calling hockey the equivelent of professional wrestling. Let's not even look at it from the Rangers point of view, lets flip it. Are you telling me that the Flyers players would have no problem with the league giving them the game. That they would be ok going out there and battling for an outcome with no integrity?
I don't know anything about wrestling but if you're saying it's fake and possibly fixed, I wouldn't go that far. But the league (GM, Owners, Bettman and Company) don't have much integrity and everyone just looks out for their own interests.

As for the Flyers caring if they are given the game, to them it would be 2 points closer to the playoffs so I doubt they would care, especially if it means screwing a rival. It's not like they are going to come out and say "We don't deserve the 2 points because this wasn't an honest game."

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Where was the insinuation at a league level? Seemed to me he was speaking about the refs & the network. And when you think of it, both of them have conflicts of interests in the matter...something that I'm sure that Tortorella was aware of. The refs because one of them was a native of Philly & the network because it's owned by a company headquartered out of Philly with a chairman that also happens to be the owner of the Flyers.

It's not far fetched to think that both NBC & the refs were leaning towards seeing Philly tie it up and seeing the calls that were actually made, I think there's something to it.
my intelligence as a hockey fan was insulted watching that debacle in the third period. it was shameful and disgusting just as Torts said.
Torts went too far, he should have left it at the refs and let people decide for themselves, but he only said what many here were thinking at the time.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would totally donate to Torts' fine. If someone starts it up I will donate for sure.
Tortorellas pypal account is:

Inferno272@hotmail.com

seriously.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Tortorellas pypal account is:

Inferno272@hotmail.com

seriously.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Reijo R

I understand why Torts was fined a hefty amount, but I'm very annoyed/pissed that the league hasn't made a statement regarding the calls. It shows a real lack of balls, to put it bluntly. The interference call on McDonagh was probably the single worst call I've ever seen in the game, and the Callahan call wasn't far behind. I have less of a problem with the penalty shot, believe it or not.

I would've loved to see Colin Campbell say something like "After further review, the calls on Ryans McDonagh and Callahan were incorrect and we apologize to the NYR organization, and will strive for our officials to improve the quality of officiating".

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
hehe, i should start taking donations myself...weddings are frikkin expensive! :-X

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I think that is completely outrageous.

When the max fine allowed against a player for a dangerous play on the ice is only $2,500 how the hell do you have the balls to fine a coach $30,000 for a comment. Torts isn't making 8 million dollars a season like some players are. I dont even think he makes a million does he?

Hopefully Dolan quickly paid this fine, but i still dont understand the league in this excessive punishment.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
gluvhand

I think when a coach is fined the team is not allowed to pay it for him. Are there ways around that? Probably. I don't know how closely they'll scrutinize it.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I think when a coach is fined the team is not allowed to pay it for him. Are there ways around that? Probably. I don't know how closely they'll scrutinize it.
I thought I read somewhere that the Buffalo coach (maybe i have the wrong team?) was fined a season or 2 ago for a line brawl and the owner came out and paid the fine for him.

Either way its quite easy for Dolan to just hand Torts a $30,000 check under the table if the league won't allow him to pay the NHL directly.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote