HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Minor League Hockey Time

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Doug

vCash: 500
Just an advanced warning, unless things have changed from last season, Friday night games through Thanksgiving won't be on the radio or Internet due to high school football. So you'll have to listen to the opposing team's broadcast (if they have one) to hear those games.

Also, I'll be at tonight's pre-season game vs. Providence, so I'll post my thoughts on the game and players later tonight.

Old
10-09-2004, 10:28 AM
missK

There was a Falcons press release that mentioned no radio broadcasts for pre-season.

Springfield lost 3-1 to Hartford, Storr in goal for 60 mins.
Skalde scored only Falcons goals, with assists from Artukhin & Rumble

Boxscore

Article about Reid/Game Story at Mass Live.com

Falcons play again tonight at home against Providence Bruins 7:05p

Last edited by missK: 10-09-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old
10-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Just an advanced warning, unless things have changed from last season, Friday night games through Thanksgiving won't be on the radio or Internet due to high school football. So you'll have to listen to the opposing team's broadcast (if they have one) to hear those games.
Thanks for the confirmation, it's just weird because it looked from this page that they'd broadcast the game. I re-loaded that page for a few hours last night.

Quote:
Also, I'll be at tonight's pre-season game vs. Providence, so I'll post my thoughts on the game and players later tonight.
Great, looking forward to it!

Old
10-09-2004, 03:07 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterminator-x
Also, Henrik Bergfors in his first action tonight with Adirondack since his season-ending shoulder injury last pre-season with Wichita.
Frostbite win their pre-season opener 3-1 over Elmira, but Bergfors didn't play.

He is still not in the States due to visa problems. He didn't make the Traverse City tourney because Adirondack had not yet secured his visa, but the Frostbite say his visa was approved Friday, and that he'll finally be state-side sometime this coming week.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:41 PM
exterminator-x

Stats for Falcon-Bolts updated here.

Notes about the Hartford game. I thought that Packard and Deveaux showed some serious cahonies taking on perennial AHL tough guys Martin Grenier and Trevor Gillies, respectively. Gillies puts up about 300 PIMs per season. Those were the first two fights of the game coming in the 2nd period when the game was tight.

McLaren and Fritz got in on the action in the 3rd with Grenier and Gillies, stepping up in their roles of protecting and sticking up for the kids. Kudos to Dennis and Andre, two guys literally fighting for Springfield roster spots.

Old
10-09-2004, 06:07 PM
exterminator-x

The organization was very disappointed in general with the effort of the Falcons against Hartford. Came to play, but didn't come to win. Very few positives.

Special positive callouts to Andre Deveaux, Nick Tarnasky, Ryan Craig, and wonder-twins McLaren and Fritz. Deveaux was noted as being "excellent" first shift to last. The organization recognized how McLaren and Fritz stood up for their teammates in a big way. Organization continues its love-fest of Tarnasky and Craig.

Artukhin was noted as having done some really good things at times. Consistency is the main issue. Alexeev, Henrich, and Reid were pinged for their inconsistent effort. Paul Ranger was noted as the "best" blueliner, but that should be taken with a grain of salt as the organization was very disappointed with the play of the defense against the Wolfpack.

Some guys are playing themselves onto the Johnstown roster.

Old
10-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Oceanic39*

Henrich with 2 assists so far tonight. SF up 2-1 in the second. Deveaux and O'Brien with assists, Skalde and Busenburg with goals.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Sotnos

Wow they're taking a lot of penalties, even Alexeev got into a fight. Can't really put yourself shorthanded 12 times a night, but I assume they'll settle down soon.

Geez, last time I looked it was 3-2 Springfield with 3 minutes left, now it's 4-3 Providence?! Damn

Old
10-09-2004, 08:36 PM
GoBoltz56

Yeah..ugly loss tonight. Looks like providence scored 2 goals 45 seconds apart for the win. Coaches/Management won't be happy about that. Henrich with a goal and 2 assists though..and a roughing penalty. Is Willis injured or something? He didn't play last night or tonight.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Oceanic39*

12 PP to 5?

That's garbage. I don't mean to be a blind homer, but there's something questionable about that - speaking of officiating.

Old
10-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Doug

I couldn't believe Dave Hansen (the referee) called the penalties so lopsided, but the Falcons were very undisciplined tonight. They played like a very, very stupid hockey team tonight.

Anyway, it would have been helpful if the Falcons had names on the back of their jerseys. The only players I was really familiar with on tonight's roster were Nikita Alexeev and Terry Virtue, so my eyes were jumping from the ice to the roster paper every second throughout the game.

Line combinations for the forwards were constantly changing. The defense pairings were O'Brien-Busenburg, Egener-Virtue and Van Hoof-Ranger.

Evgeni Artukhin really caught my eye with his speed. The guy just blew past people skating down the wing. Ryan Craig had a good game defenisvely. Nick Tarnasky, Adam Henrich and Jarrod Skalde were the other forwards that stood out (in a positve way).

I barely even noticed Nikita Alexeev on the ice. His "fight" lasted for about three seconds...and he wasn't the winner. Darren Reid should have put the Falcons up 4-2 in the third period. He was all alone in front of the goal, got the puck via a pass and couldn't put it past Toivonen. Other than that, I don't remember him doing much.

The defense was decent, although after last season, it wouldn't take much to seem OK to me. The Virtue-Egener pairing looked the best. Virtue and Paul Ranger looked good playing the point on the power play.

Brian Eklund was on his way to a pretty solid win until those two late goals in the third period. There wasn't much he could have done on Providence's second goal of the game. It came just as the five-on-three expired and Bekar just rifled a shot top shelp past him. Jamie Storr looked terrible for the few minutes I saw him in warm-ups, and I've heard he wasn't too impressive in Friday's game either.

Hopefully Dirk Graham will dress all the veterans in the final pre-season game tomorrow (they play Providence again). I'd like to see how the team's actual opening night roster will do, especially since the Falcons open the season with two out of three games versus the Bruins.

Old
10-10-2004, 08:03 AM
exterminator-x

Stats for Falcon-Bolts updated here.

Henrich now leading the Bolt prospects in scoring. Hope to have some comments up later.

Old
10-10-2004, 03:34 PM
GoBoltz56

Another blown lead today.

Old
10-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Doug

Falcons lose again to Providence, 3-2. All six veterans dressed for the Falcons as well as Jamie Storr (33 shots, 30 saves). Shane Willis had an unassisted shorthanded goal for the Falcons. Marc Busenburg scored Springfield's other goal, on the power play, with assists from Willis and Adam Henrich. Springfield loses all four of its pre-season games, including one in overtime.

Box score at http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/pr...?gameid=141016.

The Falcons open the regular season on Friday at 7:05 p.m. in Providence.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:00 PM
petec1978*

I get the distinct impression that the Lightning are about (this close) from loading Nikita Alexeev's guttless rear end into a cannon and shooting him to the moon. I keep telling myself "Well Afanasenkov struggled like this too" but the difference is Afanasenkov was already a pretty polished player, at least offensively (from the blueline in!), when he started with the Vipers in the "I". Alexeev apparently doesn't understand he wasn't drafted in the first round because he's a good hockey player... he was drafted in the first round because he was a physical specemin who could perhaps with hard work BECOME a good hockey player. All those physical attributes mean NOTHING however if he keeps floating through his career though. Alexeev needs to do a lot more developing than Afanasenkov or even Cibak (for his role) did but shows little or no will to do the hard work to acheive it.

I think the first half of this AHL season is gut check time for Nikita Alexeev. I expect NHL hockey to resume in January and Nikita Alexeev WILL NOT be a member of this organization when that time rolls around if he continues to play the role of the tin man.

Old
10-10-2004, 10:31 PM
exterminator-x

Jeremy Van Hoof sent down to Johnstown tonight.

The Falcons will place Dicaire on the IR, and carry the remaining 8 d-man on the roster until at least next weekend. Maybe some moves prior to start of the season. Depends on how Dicaire is recovering. Ranger was consistently getting praise, so he's getting his chance at the season's start.

Virtue, Rumble, Egener, O'Brien, and Busenburg solidly won spots. (Well, the vets actually have been dinged for not stepping up more). Ranger actually seems to be pressing Holmqvist hard.

Dennis Packard got a concussion in the first Providence game and is out a week or so on the IR

More later...

Old
10-10-2004, 11:18 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
More later...
Ok... here's the Falcons roster...

IR: Dicaire (boils); Packard (concussion); Kelley (unknown injury)

When Kelley is healthy, he will be sent to Adirondack. When Packard is healthy, my opinion is that he will be sent to Johnstown although I have no confirmation on that. When Dicaire is healthy, someone will be sent to Johnstown (Pratt?, Holmqvist?, Ranger?)

G: Storr; Eklund
C: Skalde; Darby; Craig; Tarnasky
RW: Willis; Alexeev; Reid; Deveaux; Artukhin
LW: Henrich; McLaren; Fritz; Soucy
D: Virtue; Rumble; Egener; O'Brien; Ranger; Holmqvist; Busenburg; Pratt

That's your opening night roster assuming Dicaire is still on IR (likely).

Old
10-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Oceanic39*

Henrich has a prime opportunity - if he plays hard and consistently to keep 1st line duty - to put up a lot of points in his first year.

Old
10-11-2004, 01:42 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
Henrich has a prime opportunity - if he plays hard and consistently to keep 1st line duty - to put up a lot of points in his first year.
Yup. Sad thing is that he doesn't have much scoring line competition at left wing to push him.

I've finally updated the final stats of the Falcon-Bolts here.

Team leaders
Goals: Skalde (2); Alexeev (2); three tied with (1)
Assists: Henrich (4); Darby (2); Artukhin (2)
+/-: Egener (+2); three tied with (+1)
PP Goals: Alexeev (2); Henrich (1)
PP Points: Alexeev (2); Darby (2); Henrich (2)
SH Goals: Willis (1)
SOG: Craig (10); Alexeev (9); Tarnasky (9)
PIMs: Reid (17); Egener (14); Tarnasky (14)

More pre-season wrap-up info to come...

Last edited by exterminator-x: 10-11-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old
10-13-2004, 12:35 AM
exterminator-x

Starting to think about forward lines and d-corp pairings... The big question mark is who is going to play left wing on the 2nd line behind Adam Henrich. You can't play McLaren or Fritz there, and Soucy and Packard aren't ready yet. Seems like someone on the right side is going to have switch over ala Ruslan Fedotenko.

If pre-season has any bearing, then my vote goes to Evgeni Artukhin. He certainly has the size, speed, and mean streak to play. Certainly the big question for Artukhin is his ability to finish and his hockey smarts/defensive commitment.

The darkhorse could be Darren Reid, although he didn't really show much offensively during the exhibition games. He has a hard, accurate shot, grit to spare, a decent mean streak of his own, and brain/ethic to be successful. The question for him is, as a rookie, is he ready for a scoring line assignment. I'm guessing he starts on the third line, but is a permanent fixture on the second line by Christmas.

Henrich-Darby-Willis
Artukhin/Reid-Skalde-Alexeev
Soucy-Craig-Artukhin/Reid
McLaren/Fritz/Packard*-Tarnasky-Deveaux

With a healthy Dicaire, I believe the Top 6 is pretty well cut and dried. Like last season in Hamilton, Holmqvist will be fighting like hell to stay out of the pressbox. He must take advantage of Dicaire's illness, and force Graham to make room for him. I'm going with the pairings that seemed to click during exhibition.

Egener-Virtue
Dicaire*-Rumble
O'Brien-Busenburg
depth: Holmqvist, Ranger, Pratt

While Dicaire is out, Ranger probably has the leg up on Holmqvist coming out of camp based on the organization's feedback. With Holmqvist, Ranger, or Pratt in the lineup, that would likely constitute the third pairing. The pairing of Egener and Virtue have the potential to eat up a ton of minutes.

*currently injured

Old
10-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Oceanic39*

A Falcons fan (well, we're all fans, but a SF-area resident) in another thread said this would be a 50/50 playoff team, finishing either just in or just out of the postseason.

FWIW... THN's minor pro preview had SF ranked #3 overall - in the league. TSN's AHL page has SF among 5 teams listed for fans to vote on as the favorite to win it all. Yes, they're fifth in the voting, but they're listed nonetheless.

Old
10-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
FWIW... THN's minor pro preview had SF ranked #3 overall - in the league.
Wow, that's kinda surprising, on many levels. Funny how a team with such crappy prospects can be ranked that high! Seems a bit generous based on what we've seen in the preseason, but who knows.

Anyway, it seems the AHL preview articles are all getting published here, please tell me one of you guys wrote the one for Springfield and not some "outsider"?

Old
10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Oceanic39*

As far as I know Ex is working on it.

Old
10-15-2004, 08:55 AM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Anyway, it seems the AHL preview articles are all getting published here, please tell me one of you guys wrote the one for Springfield and not some "outsider"?
Sent to O39 last night at 2am for his review, and hopefully will be published tonight in time for the start of a new era in Springfield hockey!

Old
10-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Sent to O39 last night at 2am for his review, and hopefully will be published tonight in time for the start of a new era in Springfield hockey!
O39 was sleeping comfortably on flannel sheets at 2am. I am committed to HF... but not THAT committed. haha

It'll be up this afternoon.

Closed Thread