HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Minor League Hockey Time

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2005, 08:54 PM
petec1978*

vCash: 500
Quote:
This was the last year in Pelletier's deal with Phoenix.
Well, it's still unresolved as to whether or not the year of the lockout will count as a contract year served for players under NHL deals. It's still up in the air... it could very well play out Pelletier will still have a year on his Coyotes deal once the CBA is resolved.

Old
04-18-2005, 09:34 PM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltprospects
Well, it's still unresolved as to whether or not the year of the lockout will count as a contract year served for players under NHL deals. It's still up in the air... it could very well play out Pelletier will still have a year on his Coyotes deal once the CBA is resolved.
I doubt that as Phoenix assigned him to the AHL to play this season. It's the NHL contracted players who were not assigned anywhere by their NHL clubs who have their contract status up in the air. Whether or not those NHL contracts will be considered served will be decided by the new CBA.

Old
04-19-2005, 12:46 AM
petec1978*

Ahhhh, not so fast. Do you honestly think the Panthers are going to let a year run on Jay Bouwmeester's contract because he was playing with San Antonio/Chicago this year? Or the Ducks Joffery Lupul's? You think the Sens are going to let Spezza get one more year closer to a bigger payday because he was playing in the AHL this year?

The problem is you have guys on multi-level contracts and the NHL teams simply won't want their best prospects who are playing in the AHL to have this year count. The ripple effect therefore may be that a guy like Pelletier doesn't get this season counted towards his current deal with Phoenix either.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
missK

Quote:
Ahhhh, not so fast. Do you honestly think the Panthers are going to let a year run on Jay Bouwmeester's contract because he was playing with San Antonio/Chicago this year? Or the Ducks Joffery Lupul's? You think the Sens are going to let Spezza get one more year closer to a bigger payday because he was playing in the AHL this year?

The problem is you have guys on multi-level contracts and the NHL teams simply won't want their best prospects who are playing in the AHL to have this year count. The ripple effect therefore may be that a guy like Pelletier doesn't get this season counted towards his current deal with Phoenix either.
So you think guys like Eklund will play two years from their one-year contracts? He has a multi-level contract. I seriously doubt it.

Where do you draw the line? I have a feeling it will be very cut and dry, if you were assigned to another league by your NHL club on a multi-level contract, your contract year will be considered served no matter what is decided in the new CBA. I would think the players that did play in the AHL or ECHL would have a legal case if they are forced into another year at their current contract levels since they have already played a season to fulfill a portion of their contract.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:12 PM
pelts35.com

Everything that I have read (and told for that matter) has been consistent in saying that this year did count towards their contracts. I have yet to read anywhere that has stated differently.

Old
04-19-2005, 02:54 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
So you think guys like Eklund will play two years from their one-year contracts?
It's possible... these guys aren't playing under a CBA right now. If the union agrees to and ratifies a CBA whereby minor leaguers don't have the year run off their contract these players, as members of the union, might not have legal recourse. They are members of the union and they agreed to the CBA.

I just have a hard time believing any NHL club will allow a good young player to get one year closer to a big payday during a lockout.

Old
04-19-2005, 05:14 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
It's possible... these guys aren't playing under a CBA right now. If the union agrees to and ratifies a CBA whereby minor leaguers don't have the year run off their contract these players, as members of the union, might not have legal recourse. They are members of the union and they agreed to the CBA.

I just have a hard time believing any NHL club will allow a good young player to get one year closer to a big payday during a lockout.
No, it isn't possible. The NHL and NHLPA CBA has NOTHING to do with the AHL. Players in the AHL and ECHL are members of the PHPA, not the NHLPA. The PHPA has CBA's in place with the AHL and ECHL.

Brian Eklund has a two-way contract with the Lightning and Falcons. Further he is not a member of the NHLPA and is a member of the PHPA. He played this season for the Falcons. That being said, he fulfilled his annual commitment to his contract. Going a step further, he was paid his salary as well. Translated, Eklund and the Lightning/Falcons have both fulfilled their parts of the contract. Eklund is one year closer to being a free agent.

Pelletier is in a similar situation except he had a 2-way deal with the Coyotes. He fulfilled his contractual obligation in the AHL this season. That being said, since this was the last year of his contract, the contract with the Coyotes is now expired and he is a free agent.

I'm sorry that you have a hard time believing that any NHL club will allow a young player to get one year closer to a big payday during the lockout, but this is the case. Players sign contracts for x amount of years that start in year a and end in year b. If year b happens to be 2005, then that player's contract is expired.

Is an NHL owner happy that a young player is closer to a bigger contract? Probably not. However, he is absolutely ecstatic about not paying a high-priced veteran his salary. They can't have it both ways. Either this year counts for everyone or it counts for nobody. I'd be willing to bet that all of the owners would choose to lose the high priced veteran's salary over being one year closer to a young player's bigger contract.

Besides, with a new CBA, those "big paydays" are not even going to be close to what they have been in the past.

Old
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Hoek

Plus you're not gonna give a young player a big payday over what they accomplished in a minor league, heh..

Old
04-19-2005, 06:07 PM
petec1978*

Unfortunately the PHPA hasn't updated their website since concluding their collective bargaining agreement with the ECHL in September of 2004. The NHLPA has an interesting twist in that some players like Alexeev, for instance, are listed with the PA while others like Bouwmeester and Pitkanen are notable absences. The NHL's site says that the contracts statuses will be determined in the new CBA but makes no direct reference to the minor leagues.

With the absence of a lot of the key youth from the NHLPA directory I'm beginning to side with your account Pelts, but I still have a tendency to believe some provision will be made for the retention of talent in cases like Pelletier's and the retention of NHL years on a deal in the case of guys like Bouwmeester or Pitkanen's.

It seems fundamentally unfair a team could lose the services of a player they assigned to the minors simply because he played a year in the AHL during the lockout. Perhaps this was something the NHL's GMs were warned about ahead of time but I doubt it. It was probably more along the lines of, "We'll figure it out in the CBA."

Old
04-19-2005, 06:11 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
Plus you're not gonna give a young player a big payday over what they accomplished in a minor league, heh..
No, but a guy like Spezza or Lupul who is capable of putting up numbers at the NHL level gets their RFA year pushed up by a season and suddenly a team is having to pay him that bigger money a year earlier than they had otherwise planned to.

Spezza wouldn't have been in the AHL this year if the NHL had played and on a hypothetical 2 remaining years of contract the Sens would've gotten 2 NHL seasons of production from Spezza. Now they'll only get one.

Of course the flip side is he's getting paid on the downside of his deal making a fraction of what he would've otherwise made so this perhaps justifies the burning of a year as that's money he'll never get back.

Old
04-23-2005, 11:21 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
FWIW our Owner-GM's opinion on what went wrong this season in Springfield.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...adlines-hockey

Old
04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
petec1978*

Nothing new there: the vets screwed us. We knew that 4-5 months ago.

It IS a very classy move for Feaster to send a personal apology to the STH's though.

Old
05-23-2005, 07:12 PM
petec1978*

Did you know that Kamil Kreps and Rob Globke COMBINED scored less points than Adam Henrich this season even though Henrich played a disappointing season by organization standards on a worse offensive team?

Did you also know Globke was selected 20 picks ahead of Henrich and that Kreps was selected 22 picks ahead of Henrich's 60 spot in his draft?

Share the funny. Share the funny.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:10 PM
petec1978*

I just want to take this opportunity to publicly give some big ups to the folks at the Springfield Falcons team shop. They filled an online order from me quickly and they even included a handwritten card thanking me for my business. So if any of you run into Ben at the team store, shake his hand. He's a class act.

And yes Chad and MissK, they're really nice. Good quality stuff. I recommend it.

Had a good day. Got my Falcons stuff in the mail and earlier I got to meet Lil Jon.

Old
06-17-2005, 07:40 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I just want to take this opportunity to publicly give some big ups to the folks at the Springfield Falcons team shop. They filled an online order from me quickly and they even included a handwritten card thanking me for my business. So if any of you run into Ben at the team store, shake his hand. He's a class act.

And yes Chad and MissK, they're really nice. Good quality stuff. I recommend it.

Had a good day. Got my Falcons stuff in the mail and earlier I got to meet Lil Jon.
I wholeheartedly agree. Ben Mead is top notch and will help you in any way that he can. In fact, the entire Falcons staff is great as well.

If anyone is looking for Falcons game-worn jerseys, drop him and email and he will email a list of what is left. Jersey prices range from $250-$500.

I don't know what the new MeiGray/AHL deal will do to jersey prices, so, if you want a jersey, now may be the time to get one.

Old
06-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Hoek

Quote:
Got my Falcons stuff in the mail and earlier I got to meet Lil Jon.
WHAT! OKAY!

Anyway are the jerseys they're selling online the one with Tampa Bay Lightning shoulder patches? Because the preview images still have the tenth anniversary ones.

Old
06-17-2005, 11:45 AM
petec1978*

Have you ever given yourself a stranger? WHHHAAATTT?!?

Old
06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
WHAT! OKAY!

Anyway are the jerseys they're selling online the one with Tampa Bay Lightning shoulder patches? Because the preview images still have the tenth anniversary ones.
If you are referring to game-worn jerseys, they are the ones that were wore this past season with the Lightning shoulder patch. If you are referring to replicas, you can also get last season's version with the Lightning patch as well.

Old
07-05-2005, 06:26 PM
petec1978*

For you Derek Bekar fans... he's gone. Signed with Chur of the Swiss league.

Old
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
petec1978*

Well, one by one all the Falcons' vets are leaving for Europe.

Marc Busenberg has signed with Skelleftea of the Swedish Alsvenskan (2nd division).

Old
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
CROMAG

Quote:
Well, one by one all the Falcons' vets are leaving for Europe.

Marc Busenberg has signed with Skelleftea of the Swedish Alsvenskan (2nd division).
I am sure it isn't going to hurt Feaster's feelings.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:55 PM
petec1978*

I just looked at some of my old posts from 2000 they archive on AOL about the Alexeev draft... man I killed that kid right out of the gate.

Some of it was sadly prophetic:

Quote:
1st Round (8): Nikita Alexeev RW 6'5" 215 lbs.

A 6'5" 215 lb. passivist with no hands who can skate pretty well. Obviously a brain surgeon what with getting lost on his way to the podium to get his jersey and drawing RAVE comparisons by Craig Simpson to that SUPERSTAR Andrei Nazarov (Todd on the Sharks board is going to be getting an Alexeev00 screen name any day now!) Perhaps they drafted him because his feeblemindedness makes him more susceptible to the whims of the sweater vested one, who knows? Part of Rick Dudley's program of acquiring players who make Mike and Ryan Johnson actually look good.

So we entered the weekend with the promise of drafting two potential impact players. Instead we are stuck with a Oleg Kvasha clone who has no prayer of panning out
Ironically, I'd give my left arm for the bum to even pan out to be as "good" (and that's a relative term) as Kvasha.

Quote:
I am left shaking my head at this pick. It strikes me as a reach..... and I wonder why he couldn't have traded down to get him or one of the other Russians.

If you're talking about raw physical hockey frame..... there is none better than Alexeev. 6'5" 215 lbs and the fastest skater at the CHL skills competition. Probably the second best skater in the draft behind Gaborik.

What this guy doesn't have is hand skills. His slapshot is putrid. His wrist shot is average at best. He doesn't handle the puck well in traffic. He's a very average at best passer.

One person I've spoken to labeled this guys as a "garbage man". He scored most of his goals this season off of rebounds or tip ins and very little on the rush. He drives the net well because of his size and speed, which is good, but he isn't particularly punishing in the corners despite his size. For example, in one regular season encounter, Raffi Torres and Alexeev collided and little Raffi Torres lift Alexeev with his toes pointing towards the
heavens.

Incredibly streaky guy. Started the season pretty strong and then lulled around the midpoint. Only a strong last couple of weeks of the season saved him. Still, he probably should'nt have gone until about 5 picks later.

My fear is we have another Oleg Kvasha. A guy with a lot of potential because of his frame but just isn't that good a hockey player because of lack of skill.

People are saying Alexeev will join the team immediately.... he'll make a fool of himself if he does.

If they were going to roll the dice I wonder why they didn't do it on Smirnov who has the second best hockey frame in the draft and a set of hands that is ten times better.

Luongo to Florida.
Ozolinsh to Carolina.

The Southeast Division is loading up for war...... why aren't we?

I'm happy we've landed Kudroc. Not particularly happy about the goaltending situation with Weekes. Absolutely beffudled by the selection of Alexeev. I wonder what planet Dudley lives on.
Ah take a walk down memory lane and remember just how bad having Dudley as GM truly was.

Quote:
The highlight for me was watching our "brilliant young superstar" get lost on his way to the stage. The fool started to go UP the Calgary Saddledome steps AWAY from the stage.

Great awareness this guy has.
And that's just comedy gold right there. I knew the knucklehead was a bust from the beginning. I should've never ever given him the benefit of the doubt.

P.S. What's extra sad is Alexeev still has less career NHL points than the immortal Alex Kharitonov.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Hoek

So much for even the Kvasha comparison. Bravo though, Pete.

Old
07-27-2005, 12:58 AM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

Any word of the Bolts coming to Springfield for some preseason action this year?

Old
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouda22
Any word of the Bolts coming to Springfield for some preseason action this year?
Nothing yet, we only know about two pre-season games against the Hurricanes because they released their pre-season schedule.

EDIT : Sorry dates given before were incorrect, here are the correct dates:

Sept. 22 game in Raleigh

Sept. 30 game at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Last edited by missK: 07-27-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Closed Thread