HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minor League Hockey Time

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2004, 10:09 PM
petec1978*

vCash: 500
Well, unfortunately for the first couple of months of the season you're going to have nights like these. Its a young team trying to find their way and they're going to take their lumps along the way. The key for them is to keep their noses to the grindstone and I'm sure Graham will make sure their work ethic will remain strong.

At least Eklund got a little work in.

Old
10-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Doug

Outshot 41-9 through the first two periods? From what I've read about the opener in Providence, the Falcons were badly outplayed in that game and only won due to Storr and the P-Bruins hitting the post a lot.

Oh well. We've been through seasons like this before...what's one more?

Old
10-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec1978
Well, unfortunately for the first couple of months of the season you're going to have nights like these. Its a young team trying to find their way and they're going to take their lumps along the way. The key for them is to keep their noses to the grindstone and I'm sure Graham will make sure their work ethic will remain strong.
Unfortunately, most Springfield fans don't realize this. Most fans are expecting the Falcons to have a very good team this season. Fran Sypek of the Republican has done nothing but hype up the team and repeatedly remind readers that Phoenix is no longer our NHL affiliate.

Well, I hate to crash the party, but the Falcons do not look very good on paper compared to their Atlantic Division rivals. Yes, Feaster did a good job with the veterans he signed, but those players only make up about one-third of the roster. For the most part, the remainder of the team is very young and inexperienced.

With the exception of Willis, Skalde and Darby, no other forward on the Falcons' roster has scored more than seven goals in the AHL in one season (Alexeev probably would have if he had spent an entire year in the AHL, however). On defense, the Falcons have some experienced guys in Virtue, Rumble and Busenburg, but until Dicaire gets back, the other three d-men will be rookies (although they could insert Harlan Pratt in).

With all that said, the goaltending will have to be spectacular for the Falcons on most nights. Storr appears to be doing OK so far, but if the Falcons give up 40-50 shots on a consistent basis, he's going to get tired in a hurry, especially since AHL teams play lots of three-in-threes and four-in-fives. Eklund is hasn't proven himself in the AHL, so it's hard to know how he'll do.

Back to my main point, the way the Falcons are being talked about by a lot of people in Springfield, you'd think they were serious Calder Cup contenders (well...apparently The Hockey News thinks that, too...not that I really trust anything they have to say about the AHL). I think a lot of fans have been mis-guided and are going to be in for a rude awakening. If the lockout lasts the entire season, I think the Falcons will have a tough time finishing any higher than sixth in the division.

I'll step off my soap box. Maybe I'm being too critical...or maybe I'm just irritated because the Red Sox are getting clobbered by the Yankees tonight. I don't know. But I think what I said about the Falcons is pretty accurate.

Old
10-16-2004, 11:44 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
For the record, through two games with Hershey, Eric Perrin (aka :E) has 0 points, 8 shots, 2 PIMs and is -2.

Old
10-16-2004, 11:44 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
BTW, nice job on the Springy preview, X. Good stuff.

Old
10-17-2004, 12:23 AM
petec1978*

Its just to early to tell Doug what this team's ceiling is. We'll know more a couple of months from now. I can tell you, these young guys CAN play, but the transition from junior to pro is never an easy one.

When you look at this roster, outside of the vets on this team you have a lot of guys who either have never played professional hockey or because of the Lightning splitting an affiliation have never played more than checking line or third pairing minutes. That means a lot of on the job training.

Old
10-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Doug

Graham said he was upset with the play of the veterans in last night's loss to Worcester. Today he's sending a message. The Falcons' only two veteran defensemen, Terry Virtue and Darren Rumble, are scratched for today's game according to the line-ups posted here.

Andreas Holmqvist and Harlan Pratt will take their spots on the blueline. So, on defense the Falcons will be going with three rookies (Ranger, O'Brien, Egener), a second-year pro with four career AHL games (Holmqvist), and two guys that have bounced between the AHL and ECHL in their careers (Busenburg and Pratt). Brian Eklund, with one career AHL game, gets the start in goal.

This could get ugly.

Old
10-17-2004, 03:15 PM
HitmenAnalyst

Is this game broadcast on Falcons website?

Were the veterans at fault for the large discrepancy in shots, last night?

Old
10-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmenAnalyst
Is this game broadcast on Falcons website?

Were the veterans at fault for the large discrepancy in shots, last night?
It is supposed to be, but the link to the broadcast doesn't work for me. You can try at http://www.masslive.com/falconslive/. If that doesn't work, you could try the P-Bruins' on-line broadcast at http://www.providencebruins.com.

As for the veterans, I didn't see them play last night, so I can't comment.

Old
10-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Doug

The Falcons' penalty killing is just brutal. The P-Bruins are 3-for-6 on the power play tonight and putting the Falcons away right now in the third (it's 4-0 Providence). The Falcons have allowed eight power play goals in three games this weekend. They still haven't scored on the power play, going 0-for-12.

Old
10-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
The Falcons' penalty killing is just brutal. The P-Bruins are 3-for-6 on the power play tonight and putting the Falcons away right now in the third (it's 4-0 Providence). The Falcons have allowed eight power play goals in three games this weekend. They still haven't scored on the power play, going 0-for-12.
Good game falcons. Looks like Hannu pitched a nice shutout.

Old
10-18-2004, 05:51 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Good game falcons. Looks like Hannu pitched a nice shutout.
Thanks for your input.

The shot total looks a little more respectable, but from the looks of it, the special teams aren't cutting it (as Doug said). I wonder how many of these penalties (which thankfully seem to be reducing) are undisciplined or "rookie mistake" type stuff?

Old
10-18-2004, 08:09 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Only saw the Worcester game of the 3 but the shot total was totally indicative of the game. What I found somewwhat alarming was that the Ice Cats are a young team like the Falcons yet their prospects seemed much faster than those on the Falcons and displayed more cohesion. Perhaps conditioning figures into this but a lot of the Falcon prospects had problems keeping up with the younger Ice Cat players.

Old
10-18-2004, 04:48 PM
exterminator-x

AHL veteran defenseman Brian Chapman was signed to an AHL contract today by the Falcons.

Still trying to find out what other roster moves were made (if any) in order to make room for Chapman on the blueline.

Old
10-19-2004, 10:53 AM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterminator-x
AHL veteran defenseman Brian Chapman was signed to an AHL contract today by the Falcons.

Still trying to find out what other roster moves were made (if any) in order to make room for Chapman on the blueline.
No other roster moves made, as there is no roster limit in the AHL apparently. For now, Springfield will carry 9 defenseman including Dicaire, who is still recovering from the surgery to remove those boils that were deep in his back.

Adding Chapman brings the total number of AHL vet skaters on the Falcons team to 6: Rumble, Virtue, Willis, Skalde, Darby, and Chapman. They can only ice a max of 5 vets per game, which means one of the reasons for signing Chapman is to push the vets to play hard, especially Virtue and Rumble. These two fell under criticism during the pre-season for lack of effort, and were benched in Sunday's game after the 7-2 loss to Worcester.

Chapman's signing likely will not effect the potential ice time of Egener, Ranger, O'Brien, and Busenburg. Chapman will be competing with Rumble and Virtue for starts, and will hopefully push these vet guys to step up and play with more passion and effort.

Feaster has already stated if these are not the *right* vets, he'll make the necessary changes.

Old
10-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Doug

The Falcons have seven veterans (you left out McLaren). They can dress five veterans plus one exempt veteran (any player with over 400 career AHL games). That still, as you said, forces the Falcons to scratch one veteran every night.

I'm not too sure this is a good move. Graham needs to be very cautious not to tick off the veterans. McSorley did that last year with the Ferraro twins and those two had the worst season of their careers.

Also, the AHLís Board of Governors yesterday approved the increase in the size of playing rosters to 18 skaters and two goaltenders, up from 17. The change will take place beginning immediately, and be in effect until the end of the work stoppage in the National Hockey League.

Old
10-19-2004, 01:11 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
The Falcons have seven veterans (you left out McLaren). They can dress five veterans plus one exempt veteran (any player with over 400 career AHL games). That still, as you said, forces the Falcons to scratch one veteran every night.
Right you are. I misspoke. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
I'm not too sure this is a good move. Graham needs to be very cautious not to tick off the veterans. McSorley did that last year with the Ferraro twins and those two had the worst season of their careers.
Good move or not, welcome to Tampa Bay Lightning hockey. If you don't work hard, you don't play. Now, before I go any further, I believe your concern was/is a concern for Feaster as well. For instance, before the season began, he told me that he didn't want Eric Perrin to play in Springfield because that would have made 7 vets and someone would have to sit. Feaster explicitly said from his experience that isn't good for the locker room to have vets sitting. And that is the main reason Perrin is playing Hershey. However, if you've got underperforming vets, then the team suffers from that too. Maybe it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't kind of thing.

I'm not opposed to guys have competition, but I am surprised the move came so soon. In that sense, I agree with you. I would have expected for Graham to see how Virtue and Rumble responded to the benchings before taking the next step of bringing on new vet. Maybe there's already more going on than what we know. Who knows? It does seem on the surface like an impatient move, but Graham is going to reward hard work by vets and prospects alike with ice time/starts. Those that don't play hard, won't play. Anything else is just anathema to TBL hockey.

Quote:
Also, the AHLís Board of Governors yesterday approved the increase in the size of playing rosters to 18 skaters and two goaltenders, up from 17. The change will take place beginning immediately, and be in effect until the end of the work stoppage in the National Hockey League.
Great! Jean-Francois Soucy can finally get in the game, centering the 4th line instead of Darby and Skalde getting double shifted. Can't wait to see Soucy in action Friday night!!

Old
10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Doug

Game time for Falcons' home opener changed

With game one of the World Series being played at Fenway Park on Saturday, the Falcons have changed the game time for Saturday's home opener against Worcester from 7:05 p.m. to 4:05 p.m.

http://www.falconsahl.com/detpages/pressbox2245.shtml

Old
10-22-2004, 06:37 PM
exterminator-x

Falcons up 2-0 mid-way through the first. Tarnasky and Deveaux tally with their first career pro markers. Craig with assists on both goals, with Holmqvist getting the primary on Tarnasky's goal.

Old
10-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Sotnos

Portland tied it up in the 3rd and just won in OT. Falcons got outshot 48-23.

Old
10-22-2004, 10:12 PM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Portland tied it up in the 3rd and just won in OT. Falcons got outshot 48-23.
Ouch! I wonder if they are truly playing "Lightning" hockey and are getting burned because of it. That's way too many shots against again......

Lots of penalties.....including a Soucy game misconduct (Boarding)

Boxscore

Last edited by missK: 10-22-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old
10-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Doug

Well, I was hoping Portland would give former Quinnipiac goalie Justin Eddy his first pro start tonight. If the Pirates won't start him against Springfield, who will they let him play against??

Anyway, I'll be at the home opener versus Worcester tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts either later that night or on Sunday.

Old
10-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Hoek
Kilted Yaksman

Apparently Alexeev reinjured his shoulder.. :/

Old
10-23-2004, 10:13 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
Originally Posted by missK
Ouch! I wonder if they are truly playing "Lightning" hockey and are getting burned because of it. That's way too many shots against again......

Lots of penalties.....including a Soucy game misconduct (Boarding)

Boxscore
The thing I find particulary disturbing is that they are getting outshot by a large margin on a consistent basis. The margin was 31-9 over the last 2 periods and the OT minutes. Doesn't bode too well for success anytime soon.

Old
10-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Babachka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
Apparently Alexeev reinjured his shoulder.. :/
Where did you hear this from? Any other details?
thanks

Closed Thread