HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minor League Hockey Time

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2004, 10:41 AM
missK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka
Where did you hear this from? Any other details?
thanks
From MassLive.com today:

Quote:
Nikita Alexeev reinjured his shoulder and left the game in the third period ...
No other info available on line. X - any info from within the organization?

MassLive.com

Last edited by missK: 10-23-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old
10-23-2004, 10:42 AM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by missK
Ouch! I wonder if they are truly playing "Lightning" hockey and are getting burned because of it. That's way too many shots against again......

Lots of penalties.....including a Soucy game misconduct (Boarding)

Boxscore
Quote:
The Falcons used fierce forechecking to build an early 2-0 lead, and applied a lot of pressure on Portland Pirates goalie Maxime Ouellet. Then they somehow forgot that hockey is a 60-minute game.

"There's such a learning curve with this game and hopefully, we'll learn from this," sighed Falcons coach Dirk Graham.
MassLive.com

Old
10-23-2004, 02:00 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by missK
From MassLive.com today:
No other info available on line. X - any info from within the organization?
Checking...

Healthy scratches were Packard, Ranger, Chapman, and Rumble. Two vets scratched when Dirk only needed to scratch one. Two straight scratches for Darren Rumble. Earth calling Darren... stop looking at your name on the Cup...

Fritz and Dicaire were also out. First I've heard of Fritz being injured. Packard must be recovered from his concussion... wonder if we'll see him tonight against Worcester if Alexeev's injury is serious?

Team really reminds me of when the Bolts were first learning Torts' system. A great first period, but didn't play the system for the whole game. It's going to take some time...

Listening to the game, Tarnasky and Deveaux's name was mentioned alot. Willis too. Deveaux had a whale of a game 1G, +1, 16PIMs, and 4SOG. Soucy with 17PIMs in his season debut. Craig with a multi-point game.

The vet forwards REALLY need to be stepping up more than they are. Craig is leading the team in scoring with 1-2-3 in 4gp, and it ought to be Willis, Darby or Skalde. Henrich invisible on the scoresheet since his opening night goal-fest, although he leads all forwards with 10 SOGs.

We knew Feaster is building a mean-ass future and it is already evident:

Egener: 4gp, 32 PIMs
Deveaux: 4gp, 23 PIMs
Soucy: 1gp, 17 PIMs
Artukhin: 4gp, 15 PIMs
McLaren: 4gp, 10 PIMs

In other news, Henrik Beforgs finally got stateside early last week and now has two UHL games under his belt. He is 0-0-0, 4PIMs, and +1 in 2gp.

Last edited by exterminator-x: 10-23-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old
10-23-2004, 03:15 PM
exterminator-x

Storr lets a bad goal 57 seconds into today's home opener for Springy...

1-0 Worcester...

Old
10-23-2004, 03:37 PM
HitmenAnalyst

Is this being broadcasted? Have gone to Worcester site.

Old
10-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Hoek
#TomorrowSeason

Good god.. 3-0 already. The Icecats OWN the Falcons. I haven't even heard a Springfield shot on goal. The vets are just as bad as the kids. Two consecutive high sticking calls for Virtue? I mean cmon..

Go to www.theahl.com and click cybercasts for the Worcester feed.

Last edited by Hoek: 10-23-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Old
10-23-2004, 03:55 PM
HitmenAnalyst

Can anyone tell me why the games are not being broadcasted by Springfield?

On another matter. What is going on with this team. They are struggling badly and having problems with their vets. No inside comments? Wonder if the organization will be making major adjustments or just try to weather this storm?

Old
10-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Babachka

Masslive.com

and its 8-0 Worcester

EDIT:
30 Brian Eklund - - 26 19
1 Jamie Storr - - 8 7

Last edited by Babachka: 10-23-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old
10-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Sotnos

9-0 now, we need a puking gremlin for this one. Can't wait to hear the reports from guys who went.

Old
10-23-2004, 05:48 PM
1Timer

IMO, time to start Eklund.

At least the shot totals evened out a bit. I guess it's harder to play defense when you're down by 5 or 6.

Old
10-23-2004, 08:17 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
9-0 now, we need a puking gremlin for this one. Can't wait to hear the reports from guys who went.
Yeah... It was ugly and I'm betting Doug's report will be scathing. Wonder if he could stomach it enough to stay for the whole game?

Still trying to get info on the seriousness of Alexeev's injury. Springfield organization is being tight lipped about it, and I haven't heard anything from the TBL organization.

Bright side (if there is one) is that Dennis Packard got his pro debut, but a 9-0 home opener loss isn't anything to write home about. Honestly, I stopped listening after 5-0. I was recording the broadcast, but I doubt I'll finish listening.

Egener's 17 PIMs puts him at 49 after 5gp, good for 2nd in the AHL behind Binghampton's Brian McGrattan's 52. McGrattan had 327 last year. Egener's on pace for ~700 PIMs!!! I believe he's due for a mandatory suspension, as he has already accumulated three game misconducts.

Shane Willis and Nikita Alexeev lead the team in plus-minus at *even*. Craig still leads the team in scoring at 1-2-3 in 5gp. Henrich and Tarnasky lead all forwards in SOG with 11 each.

Waiting for Doug's report...

Old
10-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Doug

Well, as you can probably figure, this was a terrible game all-around (but I did make it through the entire game!). Everything was bad - offense, defense, goaltending, power play and penalty kill. The team plays like 18 individuals. There is no teamwork. The can't pass and they certainly can't finish.

The shots are a lot worse than the box score would indicate (38-27 in favor of Worcester). The Falcons did NOT have 27 shots...they were counting shots that would certainly have gone wide if Sanford (Worcester's goalie) hadn't touched the puck. Of the 20-or-so shots the Falcons had, I'd say maybe ten (at the most) were quality shots. Shutouts don't come much more easily than the one Sanford had tonight.

Jamie Storr was not good...BUT goaltending is the least of the Falcons' problems. He gave up a couple soft goals in the first period (including one 58 seconds into the first), but the rest weren't really his fault. The seventh goal was ridiculous. Darren Reid turned the puck over in the Springfield zone to Peter Sejna, who made a pass to a wide open Mike Glumac. He just stood there in front of the net for about three seconds before putting the puck past a helpless Storr.

Specialty teams were a disaster. On their first power play of the night, the Falcons had no shots and iced the puck twice. The penalty kill was even worse. Worcester just skated around the Falcons in circles. This team's defense is VERY soft. Andreas Holmqvist was especially brutal on the penalty kill.

The fans were nasty to Storr, and the team in general. The Falcons were booed off the ice after the first period. In the second period, the fans started chanting "Let's go Red Sox." For a home opener, it doesn't get any worse than this. The announced attendance was only 3,800, the smallest opening night crowd in the AHL this season.

Dirk Graham didn't come out to talk to the press until 30 minutes after the game...so he was talking (probably more like screaming) at the guys for quite a while. I saw some of the players after the game at Pizzeria Uno, and they looked like someone had just dropped a bomb on their house.

I don't know what to say. The aggresive forechecking system that Graham and the Lightning want the players to play is not working. I'm guessing they're going to stick with it even if it means the Falcons don't win another game this season. Right now, the Falcons look tired and completely confused on the ice.

Here are the lines from tonight's game:

Shane Willis - Jarrod Skalde - Evgeni Artukhin
Nick Tarnasky - Ryan Craig - Darren Reid
Adam Henrich - Craig Darby - Andre Deveaux
Dennis Packard - Jean-Francois Soucy - Steve McLaren

Mike Egener - Terry Virtue
Harlan Pratt - Andreas Holmqvist
Marc Busenburg - Doug O'Brien

Darren Rumble is expected to play tomorrow after being a healthy scratch for the past two games. All I know about Alexeev is that his injury isn't supposed to be anywhere near as serious as last season's. Hopefully he'll be back on the ice soon, although I don't have any information on when that might happen.

Also, tomorrow's game at Hartford has the potential to be even worse than today's game. The Wolf Pack have one of the best teams in the league on paper and are off to a 3-0 start. If the Falcons play like they did today, Hartford could probably score 15 goals.

Old
10-23-2004, 10:33 PM
HitmenAnalyst

Doug, thanks for the lengthy update of, as you said, a terrible opening night.

Simply, do they have the talent to compete?

Tomorrow could be a blood bath since they can't compete skill wise and something positive has to come out of this weekend.

Old
10-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
The aggresive forechecking system that Graham and the Lightning want the players to play is not working.
What I'm not understanding is, before Torts let play the agressive forecheck, he made it clear to the forwards that they needed to be responsible and get back to help on defense (part of what led to problems with Lecavalier). This sounds like they skipped step 1 and went straight to step 2.

Hell, Torts has nothing to do right now, send him up there for a practice or two, he'll straighten them out.

I feel for you, Doug, what a crappy opening night!

Old
10-24-2004, 12:33 AM
missK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka
Masslive.com

and its 8-0 Worcester

EDIT:
30 Brian Eklund - - 26 19
1 Jamie Storr - - 8 7
AHL boxscore says otherwise:

NAME DEC MIN SHOTS SAVES
1 Jamie Storr LOSS 29:49 29 shots 22 saves
30 Brian Eklund 30:11 9 shots 7 saves

Boxscore

Old
10-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Oceanic39*

Sorry, Doug.

Individually, there are some pretty solid prospects in SF. I don't know what to say.

Thanks for your report.

Are you sure this isn't Ludzik coaching up there? The skating in circles around them made me think of that.

Again... sorry you had to go through that.

This is a mess.

Old
10-24-2004, 02:20 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Well, as you can probably figure, this was a terrible game all-around (but I did make it through the entire game!). Everything was bad - offense, defense, goaltending, power play and penalty kill. The team plays like 18 individuals. There is no teamwork. The can't pass and they certainly can't finish.
In my Springfield season preview here at HF, I made no bones about the fact that they would struggle out of the gate (though I felt they'd be more competitive than they have). One of the reasons I gave was it would take time for chemistry and teamwork to jell. Obvious, your report is confirming the truth of that speculation.

Quote:
I don't know what to say. The aggresive forechecking system that Graham and the Lightning want the players to play is not working. I'm guessing they're going to stick with it even if it means the Falcons don't win another game this season. Right now, the Falcons look tired and completely confused on the ice.
Yup, the system won't be changed. If some players are unwilling to modify their style to work the system, then they won't play (prospects) or they'll be moved (vets). That simple. It's a system that only works if every man is committed to being defensively responsible, and the Tampa papers have been full of stories over the last few years of the battles between players and coaches over this very issue. Some offensively-minded forwards have never really had to learn to play serious defense, prospects and vets alike. The slow and painful process of breaking those habits and recasting the team is difficult to watch, and the Tampa fans went through that when Torts first took over as head coach. You should have seen the SSN message boards those first few years.

It's painful to watch and listen to games like this, but you can believe the system does (a) produce exiciting hockey, and (b) produce wins/championships if/when the entire team embraces it. So, obviously, patience is the key.

Is Dirk Graham a man like Torts in that he can teach and enforce the system? Certainly a good and legitimate question. Many hated Torts in Tampa for a long time. Torts had things to learn himself, and I imagine Graham does as well.

Does Springfield even have enough talent to compete, assuming they begin to execute the system fairly well? Another good and legimate question. I believe they have talented vets. The defense is very young and inexperienced. But Tampa lacks real high-end skilled prospects. Does the organization have any prospects that are bona-fide finishers? Henrich could be, but is suspect to consistency issues. Reid might be, but he's a 9th rounder and is there's no guarantee. Yes, we have a six/eight guys who'll probably play NHL, but no real bona-fide finishers. A lot of guys who might be able to crank it up a notch and become that go-to guy. Questions aplenty...

Old
10-24-2004, 03:09 PM
exterminator-x

Lineup changes for Hartford game: Rumble in; Holmqvist out. Alexeev still out with an injury -- Packard gets his 2nd start.

Springfield with an early PPG called back for going off a skate.

Old
10-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Doug

10/24 at Hartford

End of the 1st period. 1-0 Hartford. Shots: Hartford 20, Springfield 6. Storr is in goal for the Falcons.

Old
10-24-2004, 03:52 PM
fallconn

Falcon's Destroyed

The first home game for our new Team was last night.

We lost 9-0.

No, that is not a typo.

The new system is just not sinking in yet for any of the players and Storr is getting shell-shocked. Finally last night, he collapsed under the weight.

Most of the vets on O and D have played under puck control systems (as most Teams do) for years and they are having a hell of a time trying to adjust to the new system.

Because they can't quite grasp it, they look slow and disorganized.

The bad thing though is how we are 0-24 on the power play so far this year which is not as much system related, but player talent.

Our record is 1-3-1.

Old
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
exterminator-x

Finally... first PPG of the season. Virtue from Willis and Henrich.

Old
10-24-2004, 05:34 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Outshot again today by a greater than 2-1 margin (50-24). In their first 6 games they have scored 9 goals whilst allowing 29. At this point you can make a case that the Falcons are not a bona fide AHL team.

Old
10-25-2004, 05:26 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
All I know about Alexeev is that his injury isn't supposed to be anywhere near as serious as last season's. Hopefully he'll be back on the ice soon, although I don't have any information on when that might happen.
From the TBL organization:

Quote:
Preliminary diagnosis is that it is a separation and he will be out 1-4 weeks. We are bringing him to Tampa to see our doctors early this week and we'll know more then.

Old
10-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Babachka

Old
10-26-2004, 05:15 PM
GoGoHuselius

Send a message via ICQ to GoGoHuselius
i'm just curious to know you fellows' thoughts on the play of Andreas Holmqvist thusfar. i gather he is on the bubble as far as being left on Springfield or heading back to the ECHL, especially with the large amount of d-men currently on the Falcon's roster. would you say he is the 'frontrunner' to be demoted (if anyone will be) when Dicaire returns?

Closed Thread