HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

With Niedermayer leaving at the end of "next" season, would you want.....

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2004, 09:16 AM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
I remember Niedermayer getting in a fight with Jeff Halpern in defense of a teammate (Brodeur). That doesn't seem to be something Kaberle would do.

I think there are plenty of guys around the NHL who will be available for around Kaberle's cost, that would be a better fit with the team and a better substitute for what Nieds provided.
Kaberle dropped the gloves against Jeremy Roenick when Robert Svehla was rocked by an open ice hit with his head down. I don't think any punches were thrown, but he did go at Roenick without hesitation.

Btw... comparing Tomas Kaberle to Scott Niedermayer... are you serious? You might as well compare Aki Berg to Chris Pronger and Karel Pilar to Sergei Zubov.

Old
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
BringGilmourBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Kaberle dropped the gloves against Jeremy Roenick when Robert Svehla was rocked by an open ice hit with his head down. I don't think any punches were thrown, but he did go at Roenick without hesitation.

Btw... comparing Tomas Kaberle to Scott Niedermayer... are you serious? You might as well compare Aki Berg to Chris Pronger and Karel Pilar to Sergei Zubov.

Well isn't Berg and Pronger considered equal...., as well as Pilar and Zubov? Well golly gee.....aren't I stoopid.

With every post you only make me think your less and less credible. I think the recess bell is ringing...you better head back to class.

Old
10-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
Well isn't Berg and Pronger considered equal...., as well as Pilar and Zubov? Well golly gee.....aren't I stoopid.

With every post you only make me think your less and less credible. I think the recess bell is ringing...you better head back to class.
Sarcasm anyone?

Old
10-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Lamoriello has a history of keeping his pending UFAs, even when there is a strong possibility that they might walk as UFAs in the summer. It may not make for riveting off-season discussion, but in reality Lou is likely to retain Niedermayer until his UFA status kicks in, do what he can to rekindle talks in the interim, and retain him through the playoffs.

Old
10-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Niedermayer21

This is all mental masturbation, but if Scott is going to leave after the next season, whenever that is, I would hope he would be candid with Lou. I do NOT want to see him leave. But I could see him and his brother going to Vancouver. I don't think Rafalski would go anywhere. I think he feels a loyalty to the organization because he is playing in the NHL thanks to the great scouting of the Devils. He could still be playing in Europe if it wasn't for David Conte, et. al.

Nieder played well with Scott Hannan as his partner during the World Cup. I wonder if San Jose would trade Brad Stuart for Nieder if they feel that they can sign Scotty and that he would put them over the top and give them a real chance to win the Cup.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old
10-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

If there really is a strong possibility of nieds leaving like everyone is rumoring I would consider Stuart straight up for nieds - thats not too far off from being reasonable - stuart reminds me of nieds from time to time... nieds is only going to get older, stuart will only be 25 at the end of the 04-05 non existant season.

only question is, will san jose do it? it will be tough.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentSt
If there really is a strong possibility of nieds leaving like everyone is rumoring I would consider Stuart straight up for nieds - thats not too far off from being reasonable - stuart reminds me of nieds from time to time... nieds is only going to get older, stuart will only be 25 at the end of the 04-05 non existant season.

only question is, will san jose do it? it will be tough.
I don't see NJ being able to get much for Neidermayer in a trade under the current situation. No team will give up someone like Stuart when they know they could sign Neidermayer over the summer if he was willing to sign with their team in the first place. It does suck fo the Devils (& their fans), but I don't see their being any point in trying to trade Neidermayer. They'd be better off going for another cup run (if there is a season) before he leaves to another team. If Stevens retires, and Neidermayer leaves, the Devils better hope that Rafalski feels like sticking around in town. If Rafalski wants to leave too, the Devils are going to be in a lot of trouble.

Keeping Neidermayer for the season seems to be the best option to me. If there is no season, then it is all a moot point anyhow, since he can't be traded if their is no season.

Old
10-09-2004, 03:15 PM
leafaholix*

Scott Niedermayer has absolutely no trade value right now (with no season).

Old
10-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Keeping Scott Niedermayer would be the devils best option imo. They are not going to get anyone to fill his shoes and if they intend on contending be it this season if there is a season I really see it hard for them to do so with out Scott. And besides maybe he will have a change of heart and decide to stay with NJ after all who knows but it would be nice to see the guy in Toronto blue and white

Old
10-09-2004, 06:53 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Keeping Scott Niedermayer would be the devils best option imo. They are not going to get anyone to fill his shoes and if they intend on contending be it this season if there is a season I really see it hard for them to do so with out Scott. And besides maybe he will have a change of heart and decide to stay with NJ after all who knows but it would be nice to see the guy in Toronto blue and white
With Brian Leetch likely going back to New York this coming offseason, I can see either Niedermayer, Gonchar, or even maybe Pronger in Toronto.

Old
10-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
With Brian Leetch likely going back to New York this coming offseason, I can see either Niedermayer, Gonchar, or even maybe Pronger in Toronto.
I would expect those players to look to sign with contenders.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
The Devils would match any offer Toronto throws at Niedermayer. If Scott goes anywhere its Vancouver.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:38 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
The Devils would match any offer Toronto throws at Niedermayer. If Scott goes anywhere its Vancouver.
I doubt it.

The Leafs can probably afford to throw $7M to $8M at him next July.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:47 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
I doubt it.

Next July if Stevens retires. The Devils will have $7M to throw at him too.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
I doubt it.

Seeing as we already offered him 7-8 million, I think we can afford to match.

Old
10-09-2004, 08:53 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI
Next July if Stevens retires. The Devils will have $7M to throw at him too.
It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Toronto's going to have a lot of options if Leetch goes awar.

Old
10-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
I doubt it.

Should Stevens retire, I wouldn't be surprised to see him net 9 million from NJ but thats just me.

Old
10-10-2004, 12:02 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionHockey
Should Stevens retire, I wouldn't be surprised to see him net 9 million from NJ but thats just me.
That would be an overpayment.

And if Stevens leaves, you think Niedermayer's going to want to stick around? NJ's proven they're half the team they are with Scott when he's injured.

Old
10-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:

And if Stevens leaves, you think Niedermayer's going to want to stick around? NJ's proven they're half the team they are with Scott when he's injured.
Their still a playoff team and most likely in better shape than the Leafs. If David Hale replaces his physical presence they'll be fine.

Old
10-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

You realize our winning percentage was better without Stevens than with him, right?

Old
10-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
This is all mental masturbation, but if Scott is going to leave after the next season, whenever that is, I would hope he would be candid with Lou. I do NOT want to see him leave. But I could see him and his brother going to Vancouver. I don't think Rafalski would go anywhere. I think he feels a loyalty to the organization because he is playing in the NHL thanks to the great scouting of the Devils. He could still be playing in Europe if it wasn't for David Conte, et. al.

Nieder played well with Scott Hannan as his partner during the World Cup. I wonder if San Jose would trade Brad Stuart for Nieder if they feel that they can sign Scotty and that he would put them over the top and give them a real chance to win the Cup.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Umm, Hannan played with Bouwmeester, and Niedermayer played with Regher......I wonder if Calgary would like to trade Niedermayer for Leopold straight up :lol

Old
10-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
Umm, Hannan played with Bouwmeester, and Niedermayer played with Regher......I wonder if Calgary would like to trade Niedermayer for Leopold straight up :lol
In NHL 2005 I traded Niedermayer for Leopold and Regehr.

Old
10-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:

I suppose Toronto would be an appealing destination, then? Oh wait, they're pushing 40 years with no hope in sight.

Old
10-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
You realize our winning percentage was better without Stevens than with him, right?

Oh and that winning percentage without Stevens helped us beat Philly, right?

There was a clear difference in the Devils play without Stevens.. if you didn't see that - you weren't watching.

Old
10-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentSt
Oh and that winning percentage without Stevens helped us beat Philly, right?

There was a clear difference in the Devils play without Stevens.. if you didn't see that - you weren't watching.
We had bigger problems against Philly, bro. It wasn't so much not having Stevens as it was not having a physical defenseman... any physical defenseman. Not playing Hale was a huge mistake.

That and we just weren't on our game. We played an identical series to the one in 2002 against Carolina.

Closed Thread