HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With Niedermayer leaving at the end of "next" season, would you want.....

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
We had bigger problems against Philly, bro. It wasn't so much not having Stevens as it was not having a physical defenseman... any physical defenseman. Not playing Hale was a huge mistake.

That and we just weren't on our game. We played an identical series to the one in 2002 against Carolina.
I agree to all of that but I think there was a connection with the Devils not being on "their game" and Stevens being injured. Being that he IS the emotional leader of the team.

Old
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Dantonius

It's funny, the Devils have to be the only recent multiple-championship winning team in sports to STILL be doubted. Seriously, give it the **** up. Every year people say that "the loss of <player> hurts them" and that they have no chance without the aforementioned player.

Why do people fail to mention how Stevens didn't exactly play stellar in a few postseason series, as well? I'd never doubt Scotty, but be fair to both sides; if this team revolved around one player so much (as some people think), it would have collapsed a while ago.

God I can't wait for a season to start so the idiots shut up (again).

EDIT: And Stevens was not going to magically lift us to three more victories in the first round. Just face it, the Flyers were going to win the series regardless.

Old
10-10-2004, 11:20 PM
Niedermayer21

Niedermayer played mostly with Robin Regehr at the World Cup, but he did play with Scott Hannan too, and the pairing looked good when they were on together.

Nieder for Leopold and Regehr sounds possible and may be a good deal for both teams. Of course, Lou should and will wait until the very last moment to sign Niedermayer. If he can't sign him, he should trade him for a player or players who are signed for at least a couple of years. This all hinges on the new CBA whenever that will come.

I was thinking of Rafalski or Niedermayer for J-M Liles, Sean Collins, and a conditional draft pick which would depend on if Colorado can sign either Rafalski or Niedermayer. If they sign one of them, we get a #1 and draft Sidney Crosby.

Okay, some more mental masturbation. I don't know when the next "season" will begin, but for the hell of it, let's look at what you would like our starting lineup to be. You can start a new thread if you like. I'm just going to post a lineup here and see if there is any interest.

Here goes our opening night lineup. Enjoy!!!!

Elias--Gomez--Gionta
Friesen--Parise--Suglobov
Madden<-->Hrdina--Langenbrunner
Pandolfo--Rasmussen--Marshall/Brylin
Langdon or Oliwa

Niedermayer--White
Martin<-->Matvichuk
Rafalski--Stevens or Hale
Sean Brown

Brodeur
Ahonen or Clemmensen

If Lou deals Kozlov in a package with a pick or a prospect to get a higher pick or a solid player at a cheaper salary, our payroll may not be so bad. Especially if he trades Nieder and/or Stevens retires.

Also, it sounds as if Albany's defense is a joke. Lou may ask Tommy Albelin to play down there and await a call up if someone is injured. Or he may go after a veteran who wouldn't mind a stint in the AHL to try to get back to the NHL. I can't think of a name right now, but I did see that Zarley Zalapski signed with an ECHL team. If his knee isn't that bad (I believe that is his main concern???) Lou should sign him to an AHL contract and see if he holds up. He was drafted the same year as Brian Leetch so he has to be about 35 or 36. If he is a solid citizen and can provide some ice time, he may be a good pick up. If he is healthy, he could play in the NHL for a few games while someone is on the IR. I don't know how much he has lost. He was never the greatest, but he was a good defenseman when he was younger. Just never lived up to expectations.

Adios amigos.

Old
10-11-2004, 09:54 AM
JimEIV

I keep seeing all these top notch prospect names in return for Niedermayer or Rafalski.........

Who the heck is going to give a cheap top notch prospect for either higher priced unrestricted free agent when the can most likely just sign them.

The only way this could possibly happen is to have a team who believes Niedermayer or Rafalski is this missing piece to a Championship. But without a season this can never happen.

Really when you think about it; these conversation are all meaningless until there is a new CBA. Maybe a "Franchise Player" tag will be create? Maybe there will be a cap that makes it impossible to sign a UFA. Maybe there will be a player salary limit. Maybe Free Agency will be set to a lower standard and all teams will have to scramble to sign all there players. Who knows, The NHL and NHLPA surely do not.

Old
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
RangerFan4Life*

since Nieds is going to leave any ways how about this proposal

To Nj

Tyutin
Jessiman
1st (could be Crosby)

To NYR

Nieds

Im just wondering if that would be a fair offer for him maybe the Devils could add a 2nd or 3rd

Old
10-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan4Life
since Nieds is going to leave any ways how about this proposal

To Nj

Tyutin
Jessiman
1st (could be Crosby)

To NYR

Nieds

Im just wondering if that would be a fair offer for him maybe the Devils could add a 2nd or 3rd
Deal.

Old
10-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Niedermayer21

Does anyone remember when the Kings traded Rob Blake to the Avs a few years ago? Blake was going to be an UFA but Colorado gave up a good prospect at the time in Aaron Miller. I forgot the other principles in the deal, but Pierre Lacroix felt that Blake could help them win the Cup and they gave up a top, young prospect for him.

Was that the year (1996) the Avs won the Cup, BTW? It turned out to be a pretty good deal for both teams. I believe Steven Reinprecht was part of the deal, but it was a while ago. Wasn't Pierre's son, Eric, also part of the trade? Sorry, but I am too lazy to look it up in the NHL Guide and Record Book, but I know there is some team out there that would take Niedermayer and give us back a very good player or players.

Yes, I know this is all academic until there is a new CBA and the lockout has ended, but it is fun and it keeps us in a hockey frame of mind.

Old
10-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedermayer27
Was that the year (1996) the Avs won the Cup, BTW?
The Avs did win the Cup that year with Bourque, however, it wasn't until 2001. The trade was Blake and Reinprecht for Deadmarsh, Miller, a first round draft pick, (Steckel) a player to be named, (Jared Aulin) and future considerations.

The only way the Devils could get a return like this is near the trade deadline, when teams are desperate. However, unlike the Kings, it wouldn't make much sense for Devils to trade their best defenseman right before the playoffs start.

Old
10-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
The only way the Devils could get a return like this is near the trade deadline, when teams are desperate. However, unlike the Kings, it wouldn't make much sense for Devils to trade their best defenseman right before the playoffs start.
There are some similarities between Blake and Niedermayer. The Kings tried desperately to sign Blake to an extension, but Blake demanded too much money. To them, the worst case scenario was: Keep Blake, miss the playoffs, lose him as a FA, and get a high 2nd rounder as compensation. At the time, the two primary bidders for Blake were Colorado and New Jersey. One Post article said our best offer was David Hale, Ari Ahonen, and Matt DeMarchi for Blake.

If for some reason the Devils are lagging and Niedermayer shows no signs on wanting to come back, I wouldn't be surprised if Lou did explore what trade options he had. Lou broke up the A-line, so I don't think anybody (except Marty) would be untouchable.

Old
10-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
I keep seeing all these top notch prospect names in return for Niedermayer or Rafalski.........

Who the heck is going to give a cheap top notch prospect for either higher priced unrestricted free agent when the can most likely just sign them.
Cup contending teams might be desperate enough. Examples from recent years:

Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Jared Aulin, 1st rounder, and a conditional 1st rounder for Rob Blake and Stephen Reinprecht

Maxime Ouellet, 1st/2nd/3rd round picks for Adam Oates

Robyn Regehr+ for Theo Fleury

Chris Chelios for Anders Eriksson and 2 first round draft picks

Brian Rolston, Samuel Pahlsson (top 30 prospect at the time), Martin Grenier, and a 1st round pick for Ray Bourque and Dave Andreychuk (both UFAs after the season)

A year from FA:
Mathieu Schneider for Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov, a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder

Sergei Gonchar for Shaone Morrisonn, a 1st and a 2nd

Brian Leetch for Jarkko Immonen, Maxim Kondratiev, a 1st, and a 2nd

======

Obviously we're not expecting Calgary to give up Dion Phaneuf, but if there's a Cup contending team that thinks they have a legit shot at resigning Niedermayer after the season, Niedermayer is worth it.

Old
10-11-2004, 03:19 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Cup contending teams might be desperate enough. Examples from recent years:

You need a season to have a Cup contender.............No season and Niedermayer most likely will be a UFA

Old
10-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
If for some reason the Devils are lagging and Niedermayer shows no signs on wanting to come back, I wouldn't be surprised if Lou did explore what trade options he had.
Yeah, definitely if that were to happen. I just hadn't thought of the Devils lagging behind.

Closed Thread