HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if: Bobby Orr in the Summit Series?

Old
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
What if: Bobby Orr in the Summit Series?

“Cold War on Ice: Summit Series” on NBCSN yesterday ... & I got to thinking with the players that were out of commission for Team Canada (#4 Bobby Orr - talking about the greatest defenseman of his era & arguably all time & I think there was 1 more that was in the documentary that I can't remember right now)

Would Russia have tied the series at all IF Bobby Orr would have played in this Series ? ... I'm not trolling honestly ... Bobby Orr, a man who could out race OR chase down just about any forward in the NHL at that time, before his knees started to give way of course

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Orr#1976_Canada_Cup

Quote:
Despite his knee, Orr's performance in the Canada Cup led to him being named to the tournament All-Star team and he was named the overall MVP for the tournament.[82] According to team-mate Bobby Clarke, Orr "would hardly be able to walk on the morning of the game. And he would hardly be able to walk in the afternoon. And then, at night, he would be the best player on one of the greatest teams ever assembled. He was the best player in every game; he was the best player in the tournament. He couldn't skate like he used to, but he could still go."[83] According to team-mate Darryl Sittler, "Bobby Orr was better on one leg, than anybody else was on two."

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

I changed your thread title to something a little more descriptive than "So I was watching the".

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

No doubt Orr would have affected the series to a great degree,m he was after all the best player in the world at the time.

I think though that the biggest reason that the series was as close as it was, was that the Canadian team didn't take the Russians very seriously at 1st and got behind the 8ball a bit.

If the team had prepared like the amateur players and teams that played the Russians at that time the series would have been over quite a bit sooner IMO with or without Orr.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Both Bobby's, Orr and Hull would of made that a very, very different series for sure.

Basically Canada played without two of their best players.
To be fair though, the Russians were without their best player for a good part of that series thanks to yet another Bobby.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:17 AM
ES

There was article about this in THN and the conclusion was that Orr would have affected the games enough that Paul Henderson wouldn't have the status he has now.

ES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:07 AM
cam042686

Bobby Orr is the best player I have ever seen play. He would have helped Team Canada for sure. But just remember a few points.

1. Against the Soviets Orr for the first time in his career would have faced a team that could skate with him. Would he adjust - yes I think he would have. But not right away.

2. The entire Canadian team was over confident and out of shape. Could an out of shape Orr skate with the Soviets? And would Canada have been even more over confident with Orr in the lineup?

3. We forget that the Soviets were truly a great hockey team. Put them in the NHL in 1972 and once they adjust to the little ice and physical play - well outside of Boston, New York, and Montreal they would have cleaned up.

4. We also forget that the Soviets were missing stars. What if Firsov and Davidov played? What is Tarasov - one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game was still behind the Soviet bench. If he is coaching there is no way they "ease off on the gas" in Moscow thinking they had it won.

Craig

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

You could also toss a healthy Valeri Kharlamov into the discussion, if wading into that pool. The reality was, though, that the teams had the players they had, in the condition they were in. 'What if' is a game with no foundation but sand. What if the Canadians had a healthy Orr or a non-WHA Bobby Hull? They'd have been a stronger club. Those were two of the best players in North America of the era.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

With Bobby Orr at his best:

Game 1: Canada Still loses
Game 2: Canada Still Wins
Game 3: Canada Wins instead of the tie
Game 4: At best a tie, but I think the Soviets pull it out
Game 5: Canada doesn't blow a 4-1 lead to lose and win or tie. Let's call it a tie for arguments sake.
Game 6: Canada Still Wins
Game 7: Canada Still Wins
Game 8: With the series wrapped up for Canada, the Soviets manage to win

So with Orr, IMO I think Canada wins the series 4-3-1

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
brianscot

With Orr in the lineup, it seems likely that teammates would be partnered on defense:

Savard - Lapointe
White - Stapleton

This would have left a dream Park/Orr pairing.

One thing is probable, Canada's powerplay wouldn't have been 2 for 23 in the series.

http://www.1972summitseries.com/specialteamsstats.html

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
plusandminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
One thing is probable, Canada's powerplay wouldn't have been 2 for 23 in the series.

http://www.1972summitseries.com/specialteamsstats.html
It seems as if Canada got outscored 2-3 when they were playing PP.

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote