HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Semi-final • Jan. 3 • Russia 6, Canada 5 ‎(Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Devonator

vCash: 500
I am happy for Mother Russia...it is good too see other teams win this tourney aside from Canada...better for Hockey as a whole...congrats to Russia!

Old
01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
oilWILDcountry

If only Eberle was there.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:06 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Russian offense is deadly, that top line was very good. A lot of bone head moves by Canada, and despite the come back I can't say im pleased with the effort. Bealieau, WTF? Not only on when he gave up on the play but he was apart of the bad line change, him and Pysyk.

Credit to Russia they were the better team, good luck in the final. I hope they stop with the diving, cause they are a good team and don't need to resort to that.

Very ballsy call to put Makarov in, but it paid off.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:07 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
You do realize you don't have to watch TSN, right? Since you don't enjoy this tournament, there's no reason for you to watch TSN. There is Sportsnet, the Score, and the internet for highlights. Or maybe you should look into investing in Center Ice for games.
His posts do not have to make sense. He just wants to be noticed.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:08 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berakos View Post
does anyone have highlights of this game?

You can probably see highlights at tsn.ca

Old
01-04-2012, 12:10 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Sorry Russia, but you beat just barely beat a junior squad lacking their top two lines (RNH, Seguin, Couturier, Johansen, Hall, Skinner, Gudbranson) I could prove it to you that we would kick your ass almost every time we played you if only there were a fair best on best tournament. O wait, summit series, 4 out of 5 canada cups, 1 of 2 world cups, 2/4 olympics, 16/20 Ivan hlinka tournament, 13/19 U 17 tournaments (even with canada's talent split into 4 different groups) and o yah, we still lead pretty much all the tournaments where we are at a disadvantage.
I got it - its impossible to beat the REAL TEAM Canada at the WJC cause you always miss some players. I heard that last year too. As I said enjoy looking for excuses, we will enjoy the win.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
usiel

vCash: 1430
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Congrats to both team for a super entertaining game. I could ***** about the refs but that has been done by superior posters that have put aside the rose colored glasses regardless of a particular call against a certain individuals team...hopefully the WJC officials evaluate this particular crue.

01-04-2012, 12:12 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I got it - its impossible to beat the REAL TEAM Canada at the WJC cause you always miss some players. I heard that last year too. As I said enjoy looking for excuses, we will enjoy the win.
Your win was well deserved. Good for you.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
desdemona

Before I ask this question, I just want to preface by saying that I dont' blame the refs for Canada's loss. The only non-call that I was steaming about was the jump on Scott Wedgwood.

Wedgwood let in his fourth goal and was still looking behind him. Just as his head started to turn back, a Russian player who had nothing to do with the play or the goal jumped on him. The goal was already in, there was no other play to make or finish, so where did this guy come from? I thought that the IIHF were protective of their goalies? The rule they had about the puck hitting the mask stopping the play is gone, but come on, a man jumped on his head. If anyone else saw this and can explain to me how that man was not given a two minute penalty at the very least, please do. Obviously, it wouldn't reverse the 4-1 score at that point, but it was terrible.

How Connelly got away with his punch on Russia at the beginning of the 3rd is also unexplainable, but I wasn't steaming after that one

Congrats to Russia, you played a great game. I'm ticked at my boys for not showing what they can do until 10 minutes until the third, but what can I do?

Old
01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Worst team in years. Coincidence that this is also a prendgast scouted team. He destroyed the oilers for years going after character players on a bad team like rimouski -pouliot instead of dynamic players - parise

Old
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Before I ask this question, I just want to preface by saying that I dont' blame the refs for Canada's loss. The only non-call that I was steaming about was the jump on Scott Wedgwood.
I did not understand that myself. I thought it was a cheap shot and he tried to hurt him.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Left Of The Dial

Apparently the Isangulov hit and the Jenner spear are both going to be reviewed by the disciplinary panel.

I can't believe Isangulov didn't get a misconduct for checking to the head. Not that it would have made much of a difference, but that's the classic IIHF call.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
usiel

I hear where Canadians come from having their best young prospects playing in the NHL and not available for the WJC. That being said they still still one like 5 straight I believe in recent past years. Still showing that Canada represents regardless.

After watching the past WJCs, IMHO, it does seems that the Canadian players selected are great but still still the strategy of the Canadian coaching staff seems to less matter for skill but more dump in chase a bit. Just my 2cs.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:22 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

I think the player who ran Wedgewood should be suspended.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Horrible officiating. I feel bad for Russia they missed so many calls. Atleast there out of the WJC....thank god and not only that the tourney is heading overseas next year to so win win.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
usiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Horrible officiating. I feel bad for Russia they missed so many calls. Atleast there out of the WJC....thank god and not only that the tourney is heading overseas next year to so win win. Glad Canada's woo
You lost me there but could be just grammar.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
desdemona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Of The Dial View Post
Apparently the Isangulov hit and the Jenner spear are both going to be reviewed by the disciplinary panel.

I can't believe Isangulov didn't get a misconduct for checking to the head. Not that it would have made much of a difference, but that's the classic IIHF call.
Which he left his feet for, btw. But when you say reviewed... do you mean as a possible suspension for Isangulov and/or Jenner?

I agree with you. I doubt it would have made a difference in the final outcome, but the penalty to Jenner was ridiculous for what appeared to be a tap as opposed to the 2 minutes the other guy got for a hit to the head - and Jenner was bleeding.

That was stupid on Jenner's behalf, but call a slash, call an unsportsmanlike conduct, give him 10 minute game misconduct, but not 5 and a game, that was just ridiculous.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I think the player who ran Wedgewood should be suspended.
The Russian player skate caught the Canadian players skate (harrington?) and tripped him up. Me and my buddies spotted it. Later in the broadcast Ferraro pointed it out. No one ran Wedgewood.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Wham City

Awesome game. Kuznetsov shredded us, hell of a player.

Go Sweden!

Old
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I hear where Canadians come from having their best young prospects playing in the NHL and not available for the WJC. That being said they still still one like 5 straight I believe in recent past years. Still showing that Canada represents regardless.
Those same posters are the ones saying they never want to see Ryan Murray in a Canadian jersey again, but next year will be saying that Canada is playing their B team because Ryan Murray and others are in the NHL.

Old
RandR

Well that game wasn't exactly something for either team to be too proud of. Poor penalties and lack of discipline by multiple Canadian players combined with far too much embellishing by Russian players. And do the Russians really have no idea how to try and protect a lead? And where was any sense of urgency when the Russians had that power-play advantage at the end of the 2nd period? Sure it was already 5-1 but another goal would "really" have sealed it.

Beaulieu giving up on that 3rd period goal was disgusting. Seems to me I didn't see him on the ice for the rest of the game, and that is what he deserved. I think that was the winning goal too. Gallagher, on the other hand, showed the kind of character he can be proud of by never giving up.

Refereeing was terrible. How does Connelly not get a penalty for punching a guy in the 3rd just and then how was there no penalty (or a penalty shot) a minute later when a Russian was on a near breakaway and got taken down with a slash to the leg?

And please stop this whining about us not having all of our best players available. Are the Swedes whining about not having Larsson and Landeskog? And during the Soccer U20 World Cup in Canada a few years ago, did Argentina whine about not having Messi, only a couple of years away from being the best player in the world?

Exciting game though; it was highly flawed but great entertainment. Congratulations to Russia; you were the better team and beat us on our own ice while we were well-rested and you were coming off an overtime game the night before.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
I hope they stop with the diving, cause they are a good team and don't need to resort to that.
In all honesty the Russians never knew what diving was until playing the NA game... be careful with the stone tossing warnings when living in a glass house.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:29 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Horrible officiating. I feel bad for Russia they missed so many calls. Atleast there out of the WJC....thank god and not only that the tourney is heading overseas next year to so win win.
Yes, because when in Canada the tournament is ran by hockey Canada and not IIHF.

If not for the the media and fans in Canada, the tournament would get very little coverage and make no money.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
desdemona

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post

After watching the past WJCs, IMHO, it does seems that the Canadian players selected are great but still still the strategy of the Canadian coaching staff seems to less matter for skill but more dump in chase a bit. Just my 2cs.
They do choose skill, but they also choose the helpers. If you chose an entire team based on stats alone, it's unlikely that you'd have a good team. All those guys are the top guys and used to being passed the puck instead of doing the passing. You need guys with different kinds of skill, instead of focusing all on just most hits, most goals, most assists, most blocked shots, most saves. How do these players play with others? How do they respect their team as a team, or are they just trying to pad their stats and work as an individual?

Sorry about the rant there. Canada didn't show it until the latter part of the third today, but we have a lot of boys who know how to work together. If they worked as a team for the entire game, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Which he left his feet for, btw. But when you say reviewed... do you mean as a possible suspension for Isangulov and/or Jenner?
Yes.

Quote:
I agree with you. I doubt it would have made a difference in the final outcome, but the penalty to Jenner was ridiculous for what appeared to be a tap as opposed to the 2 minutes the other guy got for a hit to the head - and Jenner was bleeding.

That was stupid on Jenner's behalf, but call a slash, call an unsportsmanlike conduct, give him 10 minute game misconduct, but not 5 and a game, that was just ridiculous.
I think I agree with you. It was a spearing motion, but Jenner seemed to be trying to push Kuznetsov away with his stick, rather than trying to injure him. I would have called it a slash, and given him a 2+2 or 2+10. But I'm definitely biased.

Does anyone know the record for high sticking penalties in a game, because these two teams must have shattered it before the end of the first period. I've never seen so many players hit in the mouth with sticks before.

Closed Thread