HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

WJC Discussion Thread - Part 2

Old
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Completely agreed with this sentiment. Gallagher did not deserve the minutes he got.
Agreed, but the reason I quoted you was because I did take a screenshot just in case.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Last night may have been the most impressed I was with Stone all tournament. No points.

Kept up just fine, did all the things he's supposed to do...against NHL skill and arguably NHL game speed. Or atleast the fastest paced game in this tournament probably.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
StikTBo

How 'bout them faceoffs for Stone

StikTBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I liked Stone's playmaking last night. He's able to maneuver so well in such small spaces. Its those little things that make up for him not skating like Gaborik.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Stone is a beast, as is Strome.....we'll see soon if Strome or Zibby was the better pick. I wanted Strome at the time.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Cujomi
Toverij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Stone is a beast, as is Strome.....we'll see soon if Strome or Zibby was the better pick. I wanted Strome at the time.
I think it's pretty clear which player is more intelligent and more skilled. We'll see if Zibanejad's athletic gifts give him an edge at the NHL level.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Strome's the type of guy that may play in the tournament again next year and really shine.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Last night may have been the most impressed I was with Stone all tournament. No points.

Kept up just fine, did all the things he's supposed to do...against NHL skill and arguably NHL game speed. Or atleast the fastest paced game in this tournament probably.
The way Stone was playing last night, he would have had four or five points if that Russian goaltender hadn't stood on his head. Stone showed and extra gear last night; an ability to raise his game when the pressure is on. I can't wait to see him play for the sens.

A 2nd line of Zibanejad - Turris -Stone could be good. Or Foigno - Spezza - Stone would be an excellent line for puck control and playmaking.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
The way Stone was playing last night, he would have had four or five points if that Russian goaltender hadn't stood on his head. Stone showed and extra gear last night; an ability to raise his game when the pressure is on. I can't wait to see him play for the sens.

A 2nd line of Zibanejad - Turris -Stone could be good. Or Foigno - Spezza - Stone would be an excellent line for puck control and playmaking.
Yeah that's the way I see it, couple times out there last night it looked like he was elevating his pace to keep up which was encouraging. He's so good and calm with the puck, monitors the ice with solid puck control.

Looks like a really solid puck possession player. And the type of guy that is very adaptable finding chemistry with other players.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

I'm not sure if I liked Strome or not. I thought yesterday he was trying to get the perfect play when he should've just get the puck on net. That kinda frustrated me. Maybe it was just on a couple of occasions but it still caught my eye. Strome is obviously more skilled than Zibanejad but I like Zibby's style of play better.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Cujomi
Toverij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
I'm not sure if I liked Strome or not. I thought yesterday he was trying to get the perfect play when he should've just get the puck on net. That kinda frustrated me. Maybe it was just on a couple of occasions but it still caught my eye. Strome is obviously more skilled than Zibanejad but I like Zibby's style of play better.
If Strome was drafted by Ottawa he would have been overhyped to hell and back on this board because of the tournament he had.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

So your saying Strome had one hell of a tourney?

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Strome was OK. He had some brilliant flashes but mostly he wasn't all that noticeable. He took care of the little things well.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:51 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
If Strome was drafted by Ottawa he would have been overhyped to hell and back on this board because of the tournament he had.
You are kidding right? I thought Strome was the worst player on his line in the WJC so far. Sure, Strome will be way better then Stone in the future, but he really didn't do much this year IMO.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:52 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Strome sucked last night. He chokes on Stone point blank half empty net set up in the slot.

And then he started looking like a smaller poorer version of Spezza trying to go solo against 2 Russians in the neutral zone.

He and Huberdeua looked very very weak also against the boards. They were getting out muscled for puck battles.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:54 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
You are kidding right? I thought Strome was the worst player on his line in the WJC so far. Sure, Strome will be way better then Stone in the future, but he really didn't do much this year IMO.
Strome's been leeching off that line to be honest. And he hasn't bee exactly lights out in the O either after the ridiculous spike in development we have seen out of him last year.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
4thliner*

Does not look very fast straight away nor shifty either.

Gotta say the WJC game is a lot faster the the CHL game.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Stone showed versatility by getting out of the slot and becoming a playmaker for the second half of the game, but he did look slower and heavy footed to me then all the other players.
He played to win, but Russia did a really good job of taking away the slot on him and making him play in areas were he couldn't score.
I thought once russia had body position on him in the slot, stone couldn't twist and be shifty because he can't skate like that yet, he Is farther then i thought he was In terms of being elusive And escapability

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
4thliner*

The guys on TSN were saying Stone is was battling the flu before the game and a hand injury.

I suspect it is that same hand job Jensen did on him.

Old
01-05-2012, 06:57 AM
4thliner*

Dejected Canadian player Mark Stone at the end of the game where Canada lost to the Russians 6-5 after mounting a couragous comeback.
Photograph by: Dean Bicknell, Postmedia News

Old
01-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Cujomi
Toverij

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Huberdeau has definitely been the biggest disappointment on his line. He failed to convert on many chances created by Stone and Strome, had some very silly decisions in the offensive zone and he was flopping all over the place. I'm not going to say that Stone wasn't great, but I try to look at it objectively rather than just as a Sens prospect. Strome created a lot of offence on his own and he had more takeaways and played a bit more responsibly than Stone (IMO) in his own zone probably because he's faster and more able to keep up.

Also Strome was a post away from becoming a national hero, and he had the most points/goals of the three (Stone, Huberdeau) that didn't involve one of the other two.

Anyway, I don't see how it can be said that he didn't really do much when he lead Canada in points and was 3rd in goals I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Strome's been leeching off that line to be honest. And he hasn't bee exactly lights out in the O either after the ridiculous spike in development we have seen out of him last year.
Yep...he was leeching which is why he had the highest % of points with players outside of his linemates (probably why he ended up with the highest +/-.) As for his 'choke' he was putting himself in good positions all tournament (probably why he lead Canada in points) and was a big catalyst in the offensive zone...if you want to talk chokes there was a time when Strome rushed up the ice and deked through two defenders and dished a perfect pass to Stone which Stone deflected wide of the open net.

Anyway, this will all just get brought back to the Strome thing which is why I let other people mention him first. I'm not going to argue though. If Strome had been drafted by Ottawa this conversation would have a completely different tone.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
HSF

Stone and Huberdeau were probably hte most consistant players and Connolly.

Strome when he was on look really good but he also looked off a lot.

hit or miss type tournament for him you werent sure which Strome would show up for each game.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Minister of Offence

So let me get this straight, Stone choked because he missed the net by a foot but Strome is nearly a national hero because he hit the post?

Old
01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Cujomi
Toverij

Quote:
So let me get this straight, Stone choked because he missed the net by a foot but Strome is nearly a national hero because he hit the post?
He was milimeters from scoring the game tying goal in the last minute of a game they roared back from 6 - 1.

However, the comment was tongue in cheek. A lot of players on Canada missed chances they should have buried.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
He was milimeters from scoring the game tying goal in the last minute of a game they roared back from 6 - 1.

However, the comment was tongue in cheek. A lot of players on Canada missed chances they should have buried.
Stone had more primary assists than Strome did, and Stone only had two primaries.

The guy wasn't bad at all for the most part but he most certainly wasn't as good as you say based on the arguments you are making.