HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 11:11 AM
therealdeal

vCash: 500
From what I've seen this year, Schenn has been brutal. And that's on small ice. Bad decisions, bad timing, bad coverage.

They must have been turned down by a lot of defensemen if they're asking Schenn. By far the worst player on our roster.

Hopefully we can find an additional 2 or 3 after the first round of the playoffs. I don't even need stars, I'll take some 2nd pair defense happily at this point. I'll take the Cowens, I'll take the Philips, Alzner, Wideman, Ference, Boychuk, Seabrook (obviously), Keith (obviously), Ian White, Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Morris, Pietrangelo (obviously), Russel, Coliacovo.

Oh god, please get some of these players.

Edit: Obviously from Vancouver Hamhuis, does anyone know if Tanev would play for Canada, NHL.com says he's from Ontario.

Last edited by therealdeal: 04-18-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
From what I've seen this year, Schenn has been brutal. And that's on small ice. Bad decisions, bad timing, bad coverage.

They must have been turned down by a lot of defensemen if they're asking Schenn. By far the worst player on our roster.

Hopefully we can find an additional 2 or 3 after the first round of the playoffs. I don't even need stars, I'll take some 2nd pair defense happily at this point. I'll take the Cowens, I'll take the Philips, Alzner, Wideman, Ference, Boychuk, Seabrook (obviously), Keith (obviously), Ian White, Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Morris, Pietrangelo (obviously), Russel, Coliacovo.

Oh god, please get some of these players.

Edit: Obviously from Vancouver Hamhuis, does anyone know if Tanev would play for Canada, NHL.com says he's from Ontario.
Even im harsh on Schenn, but i need to realise that he does say YES to team Canada...As many others have said no..he did say yes...

Once Pits, Washington, Detroit get eliminated...the Russians are going to take the first flight to sweden or finland or whatever country is hosting this year...

Old
04-18-2012, 05:34 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Even im harsh on Schenn, but i need to realise that he does say YES to team Canada...As many others have said no..he did say yes...

Once Pits, Washington, Detroit get eliminated...the Russians are going to take the first flight to sweden or finland or whatever country is hosting this year...
Yeah for sure we gotta give the guy props, especially since the last few times he has gone, he has had limited ice time. No one can knock him for that.

Old
04-19-2012, 04:29 AM
espo*

I'm with "my name is nobody" and the "real deal" here.

Scheen has had a hard deal this year but he's signed on to play, have you pencil necked geeks?

The best you have signed on is a Hockey forum, and that just won't do.

Schenn is going to have his best tourney here, he's going to knock some heads around.

I can't wait till he pastes a player or two..............................I'll even take the penalties.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:26 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post

Scheen has had a hard deal this year but he's signed on to play, have you pencil necked geeks?

Schenn is going to have his best tourney here, he's going to knock some heads around.

I can't wait till he pastes a player or two..............................I'll even take the penalties.

Agreed!!!!

People on this board need to understand that this is it!!! This is the team that they will send over because most of the other people say NO!!! You will see...When Pits, Vancouver, any other teams get eliminated, those players will say NO....

Just like STAMKOS said NO....this is my biggest disapointment ....

All the money Hockey Canada has poured in on these guys and this is how Hockey Canada gets payback!!!!

These guys owe Hockey Canada big time...and the people who are paying back now are headed to IIHF this year....

SO STOP bashing them...If we looose than so be it....but STOP bashing these guys...They did say YES !!!!

And get out of your momy's basement and get some sun!!!!

Old
04-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Optimistic. The reality is the likes of Phaneuf and Schenn will continue to be exposed (especially on the big ice) and the goals will pile up. Props to any player that shows though.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM
espo*

While what you say may end up coming to fruition ranger you have to look at it from my perspective.

Would you throw any player under the bus before the games have even started that has agreed to come and show up for your country at this tournament when they can easily lying on a beach in Florida?

Being a fan of the U.S.A you of all people know how difficult it is enticing NHL players of the North American persuasion to play in this thing.

I don't think you would do that for any player on the U.S squad and I'm not about to do that for any player that has shown up for my team.

He'll play and he'll play well.Might even knock around a Yankee or two before the games are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Optimistic. The reality is the likes of Phaneuf and Schenn will continue to be exposed (especially on the big ice) and the goals will pile up. Props to any player that shows though.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
espo*

Exactly, Schenn is at least showing up and doing his duty.

My guess is that he'll learn a thing or two and become a better player by playing under the wing of Sutter and co.

Quote:
Agreed!!!!

People on this board need to understand that this is it!!! This is the team that they will send over because most of the other people say NO!!! You will see...When Pits, Vancouver, any other teams get eliminated, those players will say NO....

Just like STAMKOS said NO....this is my biggest disapointment ....

All the money Hockey Canada has poured in on these guys and this is how Hockey Canada gets payback!!!!

These guys owe Hockey Canada big time...and the people who are paying back now are headed to IIHF this year....

SO STOP bashing them...If we looose than so be it....but STOP bashing these guys...They did say YES !!!!

And get out of your momy's basement and get some sun!!!!

Old
04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
I have to laugh at the fans (Canadian or otherwise) who think the defence is so terrible this year. Look at the defences of some of the recent championship teams. This defence, barring some incredibly poor selections to round things out (Murray), is more than good enough to win.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I have to laugh at the fans (Canadian or otherwise) who think the defence is so terrible this year. Look at the defences of some of the recent championship teams. This defence, barring some incredibly poor selections to round things out (Murray), is more than good enough to win.
I'm not saying the entire defense is terrible. All I'm saying is Phaneuf and Schenn (Schenn in particular) both had very tough years and neither is what I would consider comfortable on the big ice. Is the sum better or equal than it's parts? Probably. Canada's forward group looks great and the goaltending should be fine. That is enough to win. Shoot, I'm an American. Think about the crap we normally ice!

Old
04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Looking at the roster right now who do you think will be captain and alternates?

I think:

C- Getzlaf
A- Phaneuf
A- Ladd
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tavares the captain.

Old
04-19-2012, 05:22 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Wasn't Niedermayer Captain of the 2012 olympic team, Iginla and Crosby Assistant...No way do they make a youngster Captain..Lack of disrespect...

I dont know who they make Captain, but it it will be an older player..or someone who always says Yes to hockey Canada...Getzlaf, Jay Bouwmeester, Phaneuf , i dont know who else...we will see who else they add to the team...

Old
04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
I'm not saying the entire defense is terrible. All I'm saying is Phaneuf and Schenn (Schenn in particular) both had very tough years and neither is what I would consider comfortable on the big ice. Is the sum better or equal than it's parts? Probably. Canada's forward group looks great and the goaltending should be fine. That is enough to win. Shoot, I'm an American. Think about the crap we normally ice!
Not singling you out or anything, just the most recent example above me. Phaneuf and Schenn are pretty talented players and they may improve being away from the poor situation in Toronto. Their struggles may also be amplified on the big ice so... just being optimistic. Mainly I am annoyed by fans complaining about the defence because it is not olympic quality. It doesn't have to be.

I hope that USA has some success, which in turn entices their better players to participate in the future. Canada sends relatively poor teams to this tournament, but no one sends teams less indicative of their strength than USA.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Drij

Quote:
Wont happen.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:50 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
As an Isles fan, I'd love to see this, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Wont happen.
My sentiments exactly.

I will say that he's probably the #1 center on this team and he should put up some crazy numbers this tourney.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:16 AM
espo*

I can't wait to play teams that mean something

Oh dear...........................................Nev er have I felt so fullfilled in crucifying you ********.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Perry should be the captain.

Hart trophy winner, Rocket Richard winner, amongst the oldest players on the team and most importantly, never says no to representing Canada.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Is Ryan Murray confirmed?

Old
04-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Drij

Quote:

They didn't ask me.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:33 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Is Ryan Murray confirmed?
Well chicago looks like they will be out soooon...

Lets hope Seabrook, Keith, Toews (if not hurt, he looks hurt) dont say NO this time...

Boston Tyler Seguin , Lucic, Johnny Boychuk dont say NO

San Jose Logan Couture , Brent Burns dont say NO!!!!!!

Pittsburgh Neal, Kris Letang dont say NO!!!!!!

but they will say NO!!!!!

Who do you think will and will not say no???

Old
04-20-2012, 06:22 PM
skippyeyes

Quote:
Well chicago looks like they will be out soooon...

Lets hope Seabrook, Keith, Toews (if not hurt, he looks hurt) dont say NO this time...

Boston Tyler Seguin , Lucic, Johnny Boychuk dont say NO

San Jose Logan Couture , Brent Burns dont say NO!!!!!!

Pittsburgh Neal, Kris Letang dont say NO!!!!!!

but they will say NO!!!!!

Who do you think will and will not say no???
Why do you think all those guys will say no? James Neal went last year after being eliminated from the playoffs. Brent Burns always accepts invitations from Hockey Canada. I don't think Couture has ever represented Canada so he'll probably be eager to do so. Also, Vlasic from San Jose said a while ago that he'd rather win an Olympic gold medal than a Stanley Cup, so he'll also be eager to represent Canada. Lucic was disappointed in not making the Olympic team in 2010 so he'd probably be willing to go in order to bolster this chances at making the 2014 Olympic team. Seguin too would probably accept given he is a legitmate contender for a spot on the 2014 team. The only reason some of these guys might decline is if they are nursing injuries.

Old
04-20-2012, 06:34 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

IMO, younger guys like Couture and Seguin are more likely to accept than older guys with families who have already gone before.

Old
04-20-2012, 09:26 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyeyes View Post
Why do you think all those guys will say no? James Neal went last year after being eliminated from the playoffs. Brent Burns always accepts invitations from Hockey Canada. I don't think Couture has ever represented Canada so he'll probably be eager to do so. Also, Vlasic from San Jose said a while ago that he'd rather win an Olympic gold medal than a Stanley Cup, so he'll also be eager to represent Canada. Lucic was disappointed in not making the Olympic team in 2010 so he'd probably be willing to go in order to bolster this chances at making the 2014 Olympic team. Seguin too would probably accept given he is a legitmate contender for a spot on the 2014 team. The only reason some of these guys might decline is if they are nursing injuries.

How about from detroit : Kyle Quincey ?? is he any good?

Does anyone know if Team Canada started practicing? i cannot find any links ??

Old
04-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Ziostilon

Quote:
did you not watch that turnover that led to the Preds first goal

kyle quincey was described to be a turn over machine by one of the analyst on HNIC

Old
04-21-2012, 01:54 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:

Does anyone know if Team Canada started practicing? i cannot find any links ??
Eberle was just in Edmonton a couple days ago and RNH was driving home to Burnaby yesterday so no, I don't think they'd started practices.

Closed Thread