HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 Canada

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 07:28 PM
AmishRenegade

vCash: 500
Sid has missed over a year and a half of hockey the last year. Toews just came back from a concussion after missing 20 games. As a fan of Pittsburgh or Chicago I would hope they say no to this tournament.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishRenegade View Post
Sid has missed over a year and a half of hockey the last year. Toews just came back from a concussion after missing 20 games. As a fan of Pittsburgh or Chicago I would hope they say no to this tournament.
Why? It's not like hey will get hurt playing in a no contact league and big ice...

Old
04-24-2012, 07:52 PM
AmishRenegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Why? It's not like hey will get hurt playing in a no contact league and big ice...
Not sure if serious...

Old
04-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
There is still contact. There is absolutely no point for these guys to go play in this meaningless tournament

Old
04-24-2012, 08:28 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishRenegade View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629452

Crosby has indeed declined.

Old
04-24-2012, 08:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Concerned about our goaltending and a little bit about our defense. Our forwards are studly, and we have a few good puck moving defensemen. I expect a few 5-4, 6-5 games.

04-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Last year, we went with Reimer and Bernier.

This year, its Dubnyk and Ward. As good as they might be, we need better goalies, or similar result awaits.
Reimer, Bernier and Dubnyk are a couple of levels to a lot of levels below Ward.

Our goaltending is better than last year. That's for sure.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:20 PM
LukeD
On Fire

From Dreger:

Quote:
J. Toews also declines invitation to play for Canada at Worlds.
Well ****.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:25 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
From Dreger:

Well ****.
This was totaly expected and Sid also was expected to not go...what wasnt expected was the Stamkos situation...

Old
04-24-2012, 10:31 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
From Dreger:

Well ****.

I also heard (not confirm) that neal and staal are considering ??

I wonder which 2 D will be added? letang said no...the chicago duos Keith and seabrooke ???

Old
04-24-2012, 10:44 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I also heard (not confirm) that neal and staal are considering ??

I wonder which 2 D will be added? letang said no...the chicago duos Keith and seabrooke ???
Hamius is not going...can anyone confirm....

Old
04-24-2012, 11:21 PM
NoShowWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Hamius is not going...can anyone confirm....
that's correct, his wife is pregnant.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
There is still contact. There is absolutely no point for these guys to go play in this meaningless tournament
Meaningless to represent your country? Grow up.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Assuming whatever defense Canada puts out there is better than:

Gleason-Allen
Harrison-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain

Ward should have no trouble.

All I've learned from this topic is how severely underrated he is. Despite playing behind a worse team than both Price and Fleury, he's got a better combined SV% than both of them in the past 4 years:

Price - 2.50, .915
Fleury - 2.39, .912
Ward - 2.50, .917

Price - 230 games played, 6818 shots faced.
Fleury - 261 games played, 7132 shots faced.
Ward - 257 games played, 7828 shots faced.

To put that in perspective, Ward's faced almost 700 more shots than Fleury over the past 4 years, despite playing 4 games less than him. And in order for Price to reach Ward's workload in the same amount of games, he'd have to face 1010 more shots in 27 more games, or an average of 37 shots against per game.

Ward doesn't get a lot of coverage playing in Carolina, but he's one of Canada's better goaltenders. I'd put him easily ahead of Fleury, slightly below Luongo and slightly above Price.
I actually took the time to make an account just to this post. Ward is so unbelievably underrated around the league. For those that are worried about our goaltending situation: Ward is an extremely solid goaltender that literally carries one of the defensively worst teams in the entire league to victories. He also manages to be even more stellar when there's a great deal of pressure on him.

I'm also confident with Dubnyk. At the end of the year he was looking solid. Whether that was simply a little hot streak or him finally rounding into form remains to be seen, but I think he'll prove to be a solid backup.

I agree completely with the assessment of Canadian goaltending talent. I'd say the one advantage Ward has on Luongo is his mental game. Luongo gets rattled rather easily, and seems to feel pressure more keenly than others do. In all honesty, if it's not just a fluke, we could be seeing Mike Smith perhaps ascending that list before too long. The guy is incredible right now.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Like it or not, the WHC is viewed as a secondary tournament in NA. I totally understand why guys like Stamkos, Crosby, and Toews want to decline, and heal up for next season. The Olympics is the tournament that matters and none of those guys need to worry about being selected for that.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:01 AM
roto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
What is meaningless depends on from who you ask. WHC may be meaningless for most Americans but it's not meaningless for many European fans. NHL is meaningless for most people outside NA. What NHL means to most people here in Finland is that they hope that Finnish players don't make to playoffs in NHL so that they can participate in WHC. Most people here know what NHL is, but most don't care about it at all except seeing how Finnish players do there.

Ice hockey itself is meaningless to most people in Europe and in the world. It doesn't matter whether the best players are participating the tournament or not. It's a marginal/small sport in Europe. Anyway, the WHC tournament is important for the sport: it helps to spread the sport in smaller countries and it gives visibility to ice hockey. It encourages smaller countries to develop their hockey because any country can get to WHC tournament if they play well enough and advance through the divisions.

In smaller hockey countries they dream of getting to play in WCH against some of the best players in the world. IIHF is blamed to be greedy etc. but it tries to spread the ice hockey, make it more popular and support the small countries. NHL is the best hockey league in the world, but it doesn't care about the hockey outside NA. It just wants to maximize the profits inside. It's pure business.

It's great that Canada and many other countries will have a good team this year. It's good for the sport even though it may be hard for many to believe that in NA.

Old
04-25-2012, 01:37 AM
mikkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Assuming whatever defense Canada puts out there is better than:

Gleason-Allen
Harrison-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain

Ward should have no trouble.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
04-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Parise9Crosby87

well i think stamkos would of went but his shoulder was banged up

Old
04-25-2012, 03:11 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
What is meaningless depends on from who you ask. WHC may be meaningless for most Americans but it's not meaningless for many European fans. NHL is meaningless for most people outside NA. What NHL means to most people here in Finland is that they hope that Finnish players don't make to playoffs in NHL so that they can participate in WHC. Most people here know what NHL is, but most don't care about it at all except seeing how Finnish players do there.

Ice hockey itself is meaningless to most people in Europe and in the world. It doesn't matter whether the best players are participating the tournament or not. It's a marginal/small sport in Europe. Anyway, the WHC tournament is important for the sport: it helps to spread the sport in smaller countries and it gives visibility to ice hockey. It encourages smaller countries to develop their hockey because any country can get to WHC tournament if they play well enough and advance through the divisions.

In smaller hockey countries they dream of getting to play in WCH against some of the best players in the world. IIHF is blamed to be greedy etc. but it tries to spread the ice hockey, make it more popular and support the small countries. NHL is the best hockey league in the world, but it doesn't care about the hockey outside NA. It just wants to maximize the profits inside. It's pure business.

It's great that Canada and many other countries will have a good team this year. It's good for the sport even though it may be hard for many to believe that in NA.
Great post!

Not saying I think Crosby and Toews have to go, they have been hurt and maybe need this time off. But saying that the tournament is unimportant is ignorant. It may be unimportant to you. For hockey as a sport it is important however.

Anyway, for Canada it doesn't matter (much) if Crosby, Toews, Stamkos etc doesnt come, they will have very competitive team. If I were a canadian I would at least take some interest in it. It's not like there is loads of Canadian teams left in the SC playoffs...soon to be 0 teams?

Old
04-25-2012, 05:40 AM
niljano

Now World Championship got the best player (malkin) in Penguins anyway.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Great post!

Not saying I think Crosby and Toews have to go, they have been hurt and maybe need this time off. But saying that the tournament is unimportant is ignorant. It may be unimportant to you. For hockey as a sport it is important however.

Anyway, for Canada it doesn't matter (much) if Crosby, Toews, Stamkos etc doesnt come, they will have very competitive team. If I were a canadian I would at least take some interest in it. It's not like there is loads of Canadian teams left in the SC playoffs...soon to be 0 teams?
I agree. Regarding the first point, I doubt that many Canadians outside of the biggest international hockey fans realize the significance this tournament has for countries outside of the few that dominate. Most Canadians do not care about this tournament at all, but it does have some importance whether they know it or not.

Regarding the second paragraph, this is a year where it would probably be very beneficial for the tournament to be held in Canada. As you say the Canadian teams have fared quite poorly. Even popular teams like Detroit and Pittsburgh are out. If the tournament had a great time slot (from a Canadian perspective) instead of taking place when most people are working you might see a lot of people tune in right from the beginning and building interest that could carry forward. With TSN pimping it out and limited competition from the playoffs there is no reason this tournament couldn't be viewed with the basically same interest as the WJC in Canada.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:21 AM
stug*

Well i guess every player is injured somewhere. Nice to have excuses i guess.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:55 AM
RWatson29

Should get James Neal.

Old
04-25-2012, 08:14 AM
umwoz

Any word on Jordan Staal?

Old
04-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Shero said Neal was getting shot up before every playoff game for a thumb injury, so wouldn't be surprised to see him decline if it's bad and he needs proper time to heal it.

I thought I heard someone say somewhere that Staal was undecided (?)

Closed Thread