HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 Canada

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
23qwerty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesCanadiens View Post
Yes your quote is laughable. Ask any hockey person. Bouwmeester is the better penalty killer and better defensive defenseman. Especially on the big ice. It's like you're saying Burrows is better than Crosby. Just ridiculous.

Bouwmeester: Short handed time on ice per game: 3:18 (1st PK unit)
Power play time on ice per game : 2:10
Time on ice per game : 26 minutes
Bouwmeester played more on the PK and ice than veteran penalty killers Hannan and Sarich. And also played more than Giordano and Buttler.

Vlasic: Short handed time on ice per game: 2:07 (2nd PK unit)
Power play time on ice per game : 0:33
Time on ice per game : 23 minutes
Vlasic isn't even the top penalty killing d-man on his team. Brent Burns and some guy named Douglas Murray play more time on the PK than him.

Look at things logically.
Bouwmeester playing on the Flames kind of skews any relevant ice time comparison.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Spezza got shafted big time here. He wanted to make the team, but they decide to go with.. Burrows!?

He would have been Canada's best player and he's joined Hockey Canada in the past as well. Really feel bad for him.
I have to think we're missing some of the details.

I doubt Spezza asked to join Team Canada (which he has been on before, coming off of poorer seasons) only to have Team Canada turn around and ask a player (Burrows) they could have asked a week ago instead.

Maybe Team Canada asked Burrows before Spezza asked them, or maybe Spezza changed his mind. Who knows.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:15 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

New lines:

Sharp - Getzlaf (A) - Perry (C)
Benn - Tavares - Skinner
Kane - RNH - Eberle
Ladd (A) - O'Reilly - Burrows
Purcell

Keith-Bouwmeester
Vlasic-Phaneuf
Subban-Methot
Schenn

Ward
Dubnyk

Old
04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Burrows is not the best option. He is a below average Top Six NHL Player and there would be better choices for a Bottom Six role.

Just keeping the Canucks fans happy.
Yes, I imagine Kevin Lowe made that one of his top priorities.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23qwerty View Post
Bouwmeester playing on the Flames kind of skews any relevant ice time comparison.
Also using his supposed ''logic'' Murray is a better defensive defensman that Vlasic. Good luck finding Sharks fans who think that.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Stanley Cup
Global Meowderator

vCash: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Burrows 2010/2011 - 48 points
Bozak 2010/2011 - 32 points

Burrows 2011/2012 - 52 points
Bozak 2011/2012 - 47 points

One plays with the Sedins. One does not. But of course... Burrows has history and consistency of being so superior while playing with 2 of the best players in the league... how laughable. The guy is a rat who runs away and hides every time.
Bozak is a plug, Burrows isn't. Burrows brings in a grinder element while being able to score a good amount of goals.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:

One plays with the Sedins. One does not. But of course... Burrows has history and consistency of being so superior while playing with 2 of the best players in the league... how laughable. The guy is a rat who runs away and hides every time.
look at Kesler/M.Richards... They all had lower point totals this year but they actually play defense. A concept that Toronto has never even heard of.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Yes. There's a link a couple of pages back.
Thanks for the info.

Love Spezza for being enthusiastic about wanting to go. He has my respect. I am still happy with Borrows though.

Are we done adding players to the roster?

Old
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I hope Sutter kicks Burrows in the ass if he pulls any funny stuff.

Old
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:

What mighty ignorance. While Burrows plays with Sedins in ES, he doesn't get PP time with them, which is where most of the stat-padding occurs. And Burrows is one of the league's better defensive/grinding forwards who can log top PK minutes and go against top forwards so he's definitively a guy to have in a national team's bottom 6.

Hey, MAB had more points than Vlasic, why isn't he on the roster???

Old
04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Bozak over Burrows

Old
04-28-2012, 02:41 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Old
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShowWilly View Post
name some
Bergeron, Toews, Maholtra, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Go back further. Include Goal tallies while you're at it.
lol.. so I have to go 3 years back to make an argument that Burrows is better than Bozak... it's Tyler Bozak. If it's close he isn't that good.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I have to think we're missing some of the details.

I doubt Spezza asked to join Team Canada (which he has been on before, coming off of poorer seasons) only to have Team Canada turn around and ask a player (Burrows) they could have asked a week ago instead.

Maybe Team Canada asked Burrows before Spezza asked them, or maybe Spezza changed his mind. Who knows.
Canada probably asked Burrows first. Canucks were eliminated days before Ottawa was.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
Bozak is a plug, Burrows isn't. Burrows brings in a grinder element while being able to score a good amount of goals.
lol so a guy who doesn't score anymore while playing with the Sedins is great but the other guy is a plug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
look at Kesler/M.Richards... They all had lower point totals this year but they actually play defense. A concept that Toronto has never even heard of.
Kesler and Mike Richards are great players. Burrows isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
What mighty ignorance. While Burrows plays with Sedins in ES, he doesn't get PP time with them, which is where most of the stat-padding occurs. And Burrows is one of the league's better defensive/grinding forwards who can log top PK minutes and go against top forwards so he's definitively a guy to have in a national team's bottom 6.

Hey, MAB had more points than Vlasic, why isn't he on the roster???
Funny you should mention that... 23 of Burrows 28 goals came while ES and 20 of his 24 assists came while ES. Strange innit?

For a guy who is so great defensively, it's also strange he's 5th on the canucks forwards for SH time on ice per game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Bozak over Burrows
Didn't say that... the comparison was made to point out how bad of a pick it was.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Wisp

Burrows inclusion into the tournament just confirms what you haters don't want to admit: He's a great player, a great heart and soul guy, and one worthy of representing his country.

His coach's and teammates aren't going to walk away hating him. They are going to walk away with a new respect for the guy and his work ethic.

but haters gonna hate! Morons.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Wisp

Hahaha people are actually insisting Burrows isn't a good player. Twenty three even strength goals is a lot!

He is an even strength scoring machine and one of the better net presences in the league.

Old
04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
lol so a guy who doesn't score anymore while playing with the Sedins is great but the other guy is a plug...

Funny you should mention that... 23 of Burrows 28 goals came while ES and 20 of his 24 assists came while ES. Strange innit?

For a guy who is so great defensively, it's also strange he's 5th on the canucks forwards for SH time on ice per game.
Burrows doesn't always play with the Sedins? He plays most of his season with the Sedins but plays about 15 games on a different line every year. Our top PK unit is Kesler-Burrows. They usually can block a lot of shots and clear the puck in a short amount of time.

Those stats are great. Players need to be able to score at ES. They're even better when it's for a grinder/twf.

According to your logic, points means everything. That is plain stupid.

Might as well say Backes > Bozak marginally.

Last edited by Luuuongo: 04-28-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 02:58 PM
jammyrft

While Burrows isn't on anyone's first choice lists with the Players available He'll be good to have on the team. He will log mintues, play on the PK and can play against the other teams top lines

I think Lowe and the whole country would agree Spezza>Burrows. And by the same margin Burrows>Bozak

Old
04-28-2012, 03:02 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Burrows inclusion into the tournament just confirms what you haters don't want to admit: He's a great player, a great heart and soul guy, and one worthy of representing his country.

His coach's and teammates aren't going to walk away hating him. They are going to walk away with a new respect for the guy and his work ethic.

but haters gonna hate! Morons.
Not arguing against Burrows, since he's pretty much the only slightly likable player on Vancouver, but logic fail.

Yep, because most people would say Methot, Schenn, Phaneuf, Blouwmeester are great players because they're in the tournament as well, please try to come up with an argument not ridden with fallacies.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Laterade

We'll deserved! great player and teammate! He will definitely help in all areas whether its PP, ES, or PK
If only the guy could take faceoffs.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:05 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
...and?

Quote:
Because we also have Malhotra, Hansen, Pahlsson, Kesler and Higgins to kill penalties... lol. Not to mention he only logged 15 fewer seconds than the #2 forward in PK time.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:

lol.. so I have to go 3 years back to make an argument that Burrows is better than Bozak... it's Tyler Bozak. If it's close he isn't that good.
That's not what my post was implying. You've (probably intentionally) mis-read it. Try again.

Old
04-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
Not arguing against Burrows, since he's pretty much the only slightly likable player on Vancouver, but logic fail.

Yep, because most people would say Methot, Schenn, Phaneuf, Blouwmeester are great players because they're in the tournament as well, please try to come up with an argument not ridden with fallacies.
I'm mostly trolling a little because I know how disliked Burrows is (and how much I love him). I don't think it proves anything, but I do think he is getting some deserved recognition here.

Also, of the players you mentioned, the only legitimately bad player you mentioned is Schenn (the d-man). Some of them are over payed, but that doesn't matter in a tournament like this. Would I take Shea Weber over Phaenuf? Yes but Dion will do fine, especially in an offensive role.

Last edited by Wisp: 04-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old
04-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
If you think Malhotra is better than Burrows at defense, think again. Malhotra is reliable to get the puck out/win draws but I would take Burrows over Manny.

Only advantage on defense I'd give to Manny is his faceoffs. I would feel 100x more confident if Burrows was on my checking line instead of Malhotra.

Closed Thread