HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 Canada

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2012, 05:25 PM
  #1001
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,743
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Came to chat about WHC and the addition of Burrows, guess I'll just save it and make conversation elsewhere. Can't believe all the hate on here
Just disgusting right? Keith, Perry, Hall....and all anyone can complain about is Burrows? I'm out of here too.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  #1002
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
omg...are you serious?! I had no idea that happened. Burrows isn't just on the team, but he got a spot over Spezza?? This is completely shameful
95% chance Burrows was asked and he accepted before Spezza was even eliminated.

Luuuongo is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
  #1003
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Yes because Spezza is a perfect fit as a 4th line energy guy/checker.
Yes. And spezza plays centre and burrows plays wing. Come on guys, give it up, he's matured as a player and as a person.

It could be worse, it could be marchand, a guy that puts Italian soccer players to shame, or mike Ribeiro, who spasms on the ice for no reason.

Burrows fought his way up from the ECHL. He has shown the hockey community he has heart and fight in him.

That's exactly the kind of guy I want on my national hockey team.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  #1004
Polansky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Yes. And spezza plays centre and burrows plays wing. Come on guys, give it up, he's matured as a player and as a person.

It could be worse, it could be marchand, a guy that puts Italian soccer players to shame, or mike Ribeiro, who spasms on the ice for no reason.

Burrows fought his way up from the ECHL. He has shown the hockey community he has heart and fight in him.

That's exactly the kind of guy I want on my national hockey team.
Burrows is worse than Marchand or Ribeiro. Funny how you claim Burrow has matured and then use an example of Ribeiro from five years ago.

Polansky is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
  #1005
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,532
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polansky View Post
Burrows is worse than Marchand or Ribeiro. Funny how you claim Burrow has matured and then use an example of Ribeiro from five years ago.
burrows has never got fined or suspended yet he is worse then marchand? get the **** out of here

Lucbourdon is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  #1006
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,145
vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polansky View Post
Burrows is worse than Marchand or Ribeiro. Funny how you claim Burrow has matured and then use an example of Ribeiro from five years ago.
edit - dont care.

Bgav is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  #1007
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polansky View Post
Burrows is worse than Marchand or Ribeiro. Funny how you claim Burrow has matured and then use an example of Ribeiro from five years ago.
Exactly my point. Players do change. Look at Matt Cooke.

All burrows does is play his role on the team. He has taken less stupid penalties, and outside of friggen biting a guy...what has burrows done?

To my knowledge he's never even been suspended. Not like Duncan Keith with that blatant elbow to Danny's head.

Fact is, there are a ton of dirty hockey players out there, and burrows is nowhere near the worst of them.

I'd rather have Burrows on my team. He's a guy that will do whatever it takes to win, drop the gloves, throw a big hit and yes...even ****ing bite someone.

I would not want a guy that dives hard to draw penalties like Brad Marchand. Talented player, but I wouldn't go anywhere near him.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM
  #1008
M A K A V E L I*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: van Coevorden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You know that this happened not even a year ago, right? Have you ever seen any other pro hockey player bite another player?
Marc Savard bit Tucker and Carcillo. Ruutu bit Peters. Sorry to blow your argument up like that.

If I do highlights for this, I'm going to put in random Burrows stuff just to spite you Burrows haters.

M A K A V E L I* is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
  #1009
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
I guess in my book dirty is dirty whether it's a bad hit, biting someones fingers, or sticking your fingers in someones mouth. As someone who follows the Canucks and watches him play regularly, it's evident that the rate at which he crosses the line is dramatically lower than it was earlier in his career and it's my argument that at his current rate he is no more guilty of being dirty than any other NHL player. Anyway, that's just the way I see it, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it and if you feel the way you do that's fine.

My underlying point was that Burrows is an excellent hockey player and I'm glad he's been given the opportunity to represent his country. To a guy making his way up from the ECHL it's something that I'm sure he would have never dreamed of 5 years ago. I think given the fact that he's never had this chance before (aside from in ball hockey, where is has won international championships) he'll be sure not to ruin it by doing anything that would reflect poorly on Canada.
I certainly hope you are right. That is my primary fear. I'd hate it if he lost it and ended some poor European kid's career in a fit of rage/stupidity. Because he definitely can be an effective player, when he isn't being a huge ******. If he can walk the line and get other teams off their game while providing good PK, he can be useful for us(although I can still think of a bunch of guys I'd prefer to have in that role). Hopefully Sutter won't be afraid to bench him if he even gets a whiff that Burrows is starting to go nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Maybe one shouldn't be shoving ones glove in the mouth of another hungry player?
Touche. Let's hope Burrows doesn't run into any low blood sugar moments this tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Marc Savard bit Tucker and Carcillo. Ruutu bit Peters. Sorry to blow your argument up like that.

If I do highlights for this, I'm going to put in random Burrows stuff just to spite you Burrows haters.
I have no memory of these events. Do you have links?

s7ark is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:53 PM
  #1010
M A K A V E L I*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: van Coevorden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I have no memory of these events. Do you have links?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ruutu+peters+bite

I'm sure you can find the rest yourself with the slightest amount of effort.

M A K A V E L I* is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
  #1011
Soichiro
頑張れカナックス!
 
Soichiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Okyama
Country: Japan
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I certainly hope you are right. That is my primary fear. I'd hate it if he lost it and ended some poor European kid's career in a fit of rage/stupidity. Because he definitely can be an effective player, when he isn't being a huge ******. If he can walk the line and get other teams off their game while providing good PK, he can be useful for us(although I can still think of a bunch of guys I'd prefer to have in that role). Hopefully Sutter won't be afraid to bench him if he even gets a whiff that Burrows is starting to go nuts.
I don't understand the comment I bolded. Although I disagree, I can sort of see Burrows's detractors arguing that he might be a black eye on Canada's image due to his antics which include yapping, diving and biting, but you are insinuating that he's the type of player who goes out there to hurt guys and I don't think there is much in the way of evidence to that accusation. Perhaps you're thinking of another former QMJHL player?

Soichiro is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
  #1012
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I certainly hope you are right. That is my primary fear. I'd hate it if he lost it and ended some poor European kid's career in a fit of rage/stupidity.
Theo Fleury generally always acquited himself well whenever the call came to represent Team Canada (a request which he never turned down to my knowledge).


.....course he was on the ice during that Canada-Russia brawl.

(not his fault though that the Russian coach emptied out his bench or let his entire team jump out on the ice setting up that free-for-all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soichiro View Post
I don't understand the comment I bolded. Although I disagree, I can sort of see Burrows's detractors arguing that he might be a black eye on Canada's image due to his antics which include yapping, diving and biting, but you are insinuating that he's the type of player who goes out there to hurt guys and I don't think there is much in the way of evidence to that accusation. Perhaps you're thinking of another former QMJHL player?
He took out JP Dumont a number of years ago - but that was during the time the league pretty much sanctioned those type of hits. That's about it. He's never been suspended by the NHL (granted, given the NHL's wheel of justice, that doesn't mean alot).


Last edited by Barney Gumble: 04-30-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 06:12 PM
  #1013
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Just disgusting right? Keith, Perry, Hall....and all anyone can complain about is Burrows? I'm out of here too.
Hall?

What?

He's dirty? He's not even on the roster I'm confused...

For the record I have no problem with Burrows being on the team, you need guys like that plus he's pretty clutch. No qualms from me.

I just dont understand the Hall comment.

SephF is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 06:29 PM
  #1014
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 492
Originally Posted by s7ark
You know that this happened not even a year ago, right? Have you ever seen any other pro hockey player bite another player?


Actually yes, when Jarko Ruutu played for the Sens he bit someone-forget who but it might have been Peters.

It sounds disgusting but was actually hilarious as with most things Ruutu did. I don't think Ruutu ever really hurt another player when he was with the Sens, just drove them nuts with his antics and irritating **** eating smile.

The player(bitee) came up to the locker room and yelled at Luke Ricahrdson until Ruutu came out with his wire rim glasses looking like professor Ruutu.

You can't compare Burrows to Matt Cooke who did end careers and was vicious on the ice. Burrows is a **** distruber and a pretty good hockey player. I think the Worlds will be more entertaining with him there.That said. I am hoping he doesn't bite any players while on the international stage.

Spezza should be there but that is a whole other question.

pepty is online now  
Old
04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
  #1015
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Spezza should be there but that is a whole other question.
No question if Spezza was in, somebody in the top line/top six would be out. Burrows "technically" took his spot - but both aren't playing the same role on the team (so Burrows wouldn't be that guy coming out of the lineup). Obviously one can make arguments as to whether they would be better 4th liner additions but we don't know who all who might have rejected the invitations.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
  #1016
M A K A V E L I*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: van Coevorden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I think the Worlds will be more entertaining with him there.That said. I am hoping he doesn't bite any players while on the international stage.
Is that what you're really worried about? Him biting someone on the international stage?

In the same vain, couldn't you say that you hope Keith or Perry don't concuss someone with dirty elbows? All of this Burrows hate is beyond ridiculous.

M A K A V E L I* is offline  
Old
04-30-2012, 07:08 PM
  #1017
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,129
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Is that what you're really worried about? Him biting someone on the international stage?

In the same vain, couldn't you say that you hope Keith or Perry don't concuss someone with dirty elbows? All of this Burrows hate is beyond ridiculous.
How did you come to the conclusion that I hate Burrows?

pepty is online now  
Old
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
  #1018
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,482
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
New thread time.

ColePens is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.