HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Wouldn't be able to tell with all the "who cares about the Worlds anyway" response you get from Canadians when they lose.
It would be different if Canadians celebrated like Europeans when they win it.
Then it would truly be a case of sour grapes.

Old
04-09-2012, 09:25 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
The WHC for Canada is not only about winning Gold, but also about evaluating some players for the 2014 games if the NHL does go.

Obviously, there are guys who were in Vancouver, but the 2014 games are on International Ice, so this is a very good opportunity for some players to showcase what they can do on the bigger ice surface or to show that they can play equally well on big ice.

Hockey Canada brass is going to be interested in seeing Eberle, Kane, Tavares, Skinner, not to mention Benn, O'Reilly, etc.

From the teams eliminated, I'm surprised to not see Eric Staal's name. I remember at last year's All-Star game he has a young son, but I think his kid is like 2 or 3, so he could easily take his wife and kid over with him. Eric was in 2010, but he was moved to wing and didn't have much chemisty with Sid and Iggy. For 2014, would be he a guy whom Canada would move to the wing again or leave at Center.

Iggy is 35, so I wouldn't expect Canada to ask him to go.

Nash, no reason for him not to go. He's got a long term contract.

There's still Heatley, Roy, Lupul, Hodgson as well.

If the Pens fall in round 1, I would not expect Sid to go. I think it's safe to say, he's never going to play in the World Championships again.
Definitely agree. It'll be interesting who can step it up the most when it counts in this tourney from all those young players you've mentioned because there will be 1 or 2 spots available for them. I was hoping Staalzy would go but I mean when forming a team for 2014 I still can't see anyone overtaking his spot. At 6'4 with his skating ability, reach and finish around the net, and having extra ice to move around with he'd be tough to leave off. Nash might be traded so I understand if he doesn't want to risk injury, and he's done his fair bit for the country over the years coming year after year. I don't think Heatley is in the plans anymore for 2014 but if others decline I hope he's added because he's always been one of the better players. I'm definitely disappointed Taylor Hall got injured, because I really wanted to see what he can do on the large ice surface. He's probably one of the fastest if not fastest Canadian player in the league and with another year and half before 2014 I feel he'll come into his own and probably end up close to 80 points next year. He's one of those gamebreakers that you can just unleash. Come to think of it, I think other then the Nuge the past 3 1st overall picks should be on the team. Stammer, Tavares, Hall & along with 2nd overall Seguin. I'm just worried about the D, Phaneuf and Jay Bo will have to perform at this stage because of the lack of elite left handed defensemen at the moment. All the elite players are right handed it seems and this might be the one issue come 2014.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:37 AM
jesuseberle

If Skinner made the team last year, and again this year with a far inferior season to RNH, Nuge should definitely make the team this year.

I hope it's only because of medical evaluations like he alluded to in interviews that he hasn't been named to the team yet. He would really succeed in larger ice with the kind of vision he has.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Kshahdoo

It looks like Canada's D isn't that great. What about Kevin Dallman? He's used to big ice and very good on PP.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
It looks like Canada's D isn't that great. What about Kevin Dallman? He's used to big ice and very good on PP.
Best on paper so far, IMO.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:48 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
What do you mean its not great? This isn't the final roster, and Phaneuf, Subban and Bouwmeester so far is pretty decent.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
russianhockey

why is canada always so fast in building a roster for the worlds. we are 24 days away from the begin of the tournament.

they did 7 forwards, so that means they are only 6 free places in the offense (when stamkos and benn will be added just 4)

the are a lot of good guys who can be available (and maybe wants to play) in about 2 weeks (10 days before the tourny begins)...

here are just some names....

Lucic (23)
Perron (23)
Couture (22)
Henrique (21)
Seguin (19)
Spezza
Crosby (24)
Neal (24)
Giroux (23)
J. Staal (23)
Toews (22)

Weber
Doughty (23)
Letang (24)
Pieterangelo (21)
Del Zotto (21)

i dont understand that kind of management...

Old
04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post
why is canada always so fast in building a roster for the worlds. we are 24 days away from the begin of the tournament.

they did 7 forwards, so that means they are only 6 free places in the offense (when stamkos and benn will be added just 4)

the are a lot of good guys who can be available (and maybe wants to play) in about 2 weeks (10 days before the tourny begins)...

Lucic (23)
Perron (23)
Couture (22)
Henrique (21)
Seguin (19)
Spezza
Crosby (24)
Neal (24)
Giroux (23)
J. Staal (23)
Toews (22)

Weber
Doughty (23)
Letang (24)
Pieterangelo (21)
Del Zotto (21)

They just want to secure a core, most of the players they invited are as good as the likely candidates. I mean Getzlaf, Perry, Tavares, Stamkos, Phaneuf, Subban etc would get invites either way.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:50 AM
russianhockey

- Seguin (19), Spezza, Crosby (24), Neal (24) , Giroux (23), Toews (22)
- Weber, Doughty (23),Letang (24)
- Smith, Fleury, Elliot, Luongo

are heavyweighters...

them here are not:
E. Kane
Ladd
Skinner
Bouwmeester
Method

btw. was the stamkos addition confirmed?

Old
04-10-2012, 09:00 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
What do you mean its not great? This isn't the final roster, and Phaneuf, Subban and Bouwmeester so far is pretty decent.

Marc Methot.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
leafsfuture

Quote:

Lucic (23)
Perron (23)
Couture (22)
Henrique (21)
Seguin (19)
Spezza
Crosby (24)
Neal (24)
Giroux (23)
J. Staal (23)
Toews (22)

Weber
Doughty (23)
Letang (24)
Pieterangelo (21)
Del Zotto (21)

At the end of the first roudn half those guys will still be in the playoffs. Half (if not more) will be hurt or decline. The remainder may be there. We also get a 23 man roster, so you can have up to 15 forwards

Old
04-10-2012, 09:57 AM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Marc Methot.
I was actually pleased they added Methot, I thought he was probably our steadiest D-man last year. He's not flashy, but he's great at body position on the big ice.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Didn't people laugh at Phaneuf during the last WC?

Old
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Twitter:

@DarrenDreger: Guy Boucher and Kirk Muller expected to be name assts for Canada at Worlds. Head coach will likely be Lindy Ruff. Final decisions this week.
Nice, hopefully Hodgson will sign up too!

Old
04-10-2012, 10:29 AM
zorz

Good to see Canada has the strong team this time. Should bring some new thrill to the tournament.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

Lucic (23)
Perron (23)
Couture (22)
Henrique (21)
Seguin (19)
Spezza
Crosby (24)
Neal (24)
Giroux (23)
J. Staal (23)
Toews (22)

Weber
Doughty (23)
Letang (24)
Pieterangelo (21)
Del Zotto (21)

A few reasons Team Canada tries to build their core roster right as the regular season ends:
  • Players that are eliminated from the playoffs are less likely to accept an invitation (disappointment, fatigue, etc...)
  • Most NHL players will play through the playoffs injured, but not risk further injury at the WHC
  • The players who just finished their season want to know if they have been selected or not so they can maintain their top conditioning level.
  • One can come up with a "dream list," but management knows from past years that a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
SOLR

Quote:

are heavyweighters...

them here are not:
E. Kane
Ladd
Skinner
Bouwmeester
Method

Guys like Crosby, Luongo, Letang and Toews would refuse anyway(injury issues & role for Olympics). Neal just rides Malkin & Crosby(Hello Kevin Stevens!), I don't see him that high in the hierarchy or if at all. (Maybe part of Team B) Weber will be UFA...decline. I'm interested in Seguin, Giroux, Spezza.

E.Kane, Ladd, Skinner are pretty much heavyweights. Evander is so fast on the big ice, Ladd is one of the best defensive forwards in the game and Skinner certainly in the group of young guns that are perfect for WC.

Cam Ward in goal is pretty much in the Canadian top 3 at this point. I think I would get Elliot to back him up. Luongo won't go again to the WC since hes probably already selected for the Olympics. Carey Price is the other option, but he needs to recover from concussion and ankle surgery.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
A few reasons Team Canada tries to build their core roster right as the regular season ends:
  • Players that are eliminated from the playoffs are less likely to accept an invitation (disappointment, fatigue, etc...)
  • Most NHL players will play through the playoffs injured, but not risk further injury at the WHC
  • The players who just finished their season want to know if they have been selected or not so they can maintain their top conditioning level.
  • One can come up with a "dream list," but management knows from past years that a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.
It's also viewed as an also ran tourney............you didn't make the playoffs or bowed out early.........come play in this tourney.
There won't be any parades or national explosion like Finland if Canada wins. The focus will still be on Stanley Cup. Sorta like a consolation prize for players not still in the playoffs.
Hockey Canada even tries to sell the tourney to players as seeding for 2014. But sometimes knicks and knocks and maybe even the emotional drain of an NHL season prevents players.
Should be a tourney for younger players to make a statement to the brain trust let the old vets heal after a long season.

Old
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Freaky Styley

word on the street is that Ryan O'Reilly will be going.. he is likely the only Av to be representing Canada as Duchene and Downie will be resting up injuries they have been playing through. Dark horse could be McGinn, but that would only happen if enough others declined their invitations.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:

are heavyweighters...

them here are not:
E. Kane
Ladd
Skinner
Bouwmeester
Method

Stamkos will not be going.

Quote:
Erik Erlendsson ‏ @erlendssontrib
#tblightning center Steven Stamkos will not attend #Worlds. MRI on shoulder shows no structural damage, but wants to rest shoulder
http://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib

Old
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Looks like Hopkins is a go

Edmonton Oilers ‏ @NHL_Oilers
#Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has accepted an invitation to represent Canada at the 2012 World Hockey Championship

Old
04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins to Hall View Post
Looks like Hopkins is a go

Edmonton Oilers ‏ @NHL_Oilers
#Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has accepted an invitation to represent Canada at the 2012 World Hockey Championship
Great news.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Damn, really wanted to see Stammer.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Must be nice to have a PPG guy as your #3 center.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Kritty

Canada has a history of bringing players that no one expects to give them some international exposure. I have no doubt you'll see the same this year.

Closed Thread