HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Won't get excited until Stamkos is named.

Old
04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 95
Quote:
Tampa Bay Lightning star Steven Stamkos had a "clean" MRI on his injured left shoulder, the team said, but still will skip this year's world championships.

Stamkos on Monday acknowledged what had been suspected: that he had been dealing with some sort of injury. He even said the shoulder "bugged" him enough that he almost missed the March 10 game with the Hurricanes. Stamkos, 22 has not missed an NHL game because of injury in his four-year NHL career.
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-world/1224334

Old
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
old time hockey4

So Giordano was asked to play but team doctors advised him not to, since he's still recovering from the torn hamstring injury from December, and needs time now to completely heal. I wonder if they asked Gio before they asked Bouwmeester?

Old
04-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

vCash: 50
Defence is still looking thin. Hopefully Beauchemin on the ducks and/or Robidas and Daley on the stars are brought along. Based on some of the oddball picks sometimes, I hope to god they don't ask a guy like Clitsome or try and convince Staios or something...

Old
04-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Mestaruus

I'm surprised Canada is getting this big names this year, but like it was said I guess it's because the winter Olympics are 2 years away now and perhaps it's a motivating factor knowing it's played in Finland/Sweden so Canadians know we are bringing strong teams so it might be worth it coming here for good competition and the playing conditions should be pretty good compared to some other hosts in the recent years (Hartwall Arena etc).

I personally want Canada to bring as strong team as possible, since Canada is always incredibly hard for our team anyways and more stars for Canada = more underestimating Finland when our teams meet.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Defence is still looking thin. Hopefully Beauchemin on the ducks and/or Robidas and Daley on the stars are brought along. Based on some of the oddball picks sometimes, I hope to god they don't ask a guy like Clitsome or try and convince Staios or something...
I'm still surprised Gorges isn't getting an invite. Guy is incredible.

Great skater, great shot blocker, great teammate, great leadership.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:20 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

I don't know much about O'Reilly

Benn commits

@JohnLuTSNMtl: Team Canada also has commitments from O'Reilly and Benn up front, Methot on D, Dubnyk in G. To date, 10 F, 4 D, 2 G. #WHC.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
MikeModano9

Glad to see Nuge get the call. Good expierence for the kid. Never did get to wear the red and white at the WJHC.

Old
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

I'm very surprised too, seems like the perfect type of guy for this tourney and team, we kinda need a leader. Hope he gets an invite.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
JackSlater

Well the forwards look great. Lots of young talent, and this is with Duchene, Hall and Stamkos injured as well. Defence is not nearly as strong, but will be more than strong enough to win. I do not imagine that there are any big time defencemen that will accept invites following a first round elimination other than Pietrangelo.

I will be very interested to see what happens with Giroux provided Philly loses. He has not yet represented Canada at the senior level, but he probably has some nagging injuries (or will by then) and is probably secure in his position on the Olympic team. I would be shocked if Crosby played following a first round loss. I cannot see him taking any injury risk outside of the NHL after the last two seasons.

Great to see Ward sign up. Definitely think he is thinking about 2014.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:13 PM
welshrangersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
I'm very surprised too, seems like the perfect type of guy for this tourney and team, we kinda need a leader. Hope he gets an invite.
John Lu tweeted yesterday that Gorges had not received an invite but would not go anyway if he had. Needs a rest apparently.

Old
04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
fan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
It looks like Canada's D isn't that great. What about Kevin Dallman? He's used to big ice and very good on PP.
Dallman plays for Kazakhstan now.

Old
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Rob

Stamkos is out. No longer interested in watching.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Stamkos is out. No longer interested in watching.
I don't get why so many players don't want to play for their country

Old
04-10-2012, 10:38 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I don't get why so many players don't want to play for their country
I know where you coming from since I feel the same way but let's view it from a top players perspective.

Just played over 80 games in an NHL season.
Bumps and Bruises with some potentially serious ramifications if reinjured during this tournament for future contracts if UFA or RFA.

Spending one month in Europe away from family and friends playing Hockey in a tournament that in all honesty Canadians don't pay attention to since the Stanley Cup is priority number 1.

What motivation is there to play in the World Hockey Championships for a top Canadian player when there are no ramifications if you skip it for future Olympic Selection.

Staff using ranking excuse to lure top players. Our ranking slipping to 4th and potentially lower for 2014? Player of Olympic quality Staal/Iginla/Stamkos/Nash probably laughing and feeling sorry for teams that end up in the same pool as us for 2014.

Let's face it, if your a top player there's no reason at all you have to go represent your country. You know you'll be there come February 2014 in the only International tournament that matters to all Canadians and that's where you'll prove what you need to prove.

I am by no means degrading this tournament but talk to an everyday person in the streets and people here don't even know this tournament exists for the most part even if their team is not in the playoffs. Just watch the morning or night highlights on TSN and away we go. It's a great tournament which is the sad part that no one cares. But the mindset here is and always will be, only best on best matters and nothing else. People aren't taking the day off work to watch tier 2 players play Hockey wearing their National Jersey's which is what this tournament basically is.

Too bad they can't just have friendlies or something before the season or something similar to soccer because that's a way more engaging format, but oh well.

Last edited by habsrule4eva3089: 04-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old
04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Nice forward group, but we're going to need an elite defenseman on the back-end. Keith and Seabrook would be perfect. I don't really like Subban, but he's a good player.... Nice addition to the team.

Also, Cam Ward is going to have to play very good to win the Gold.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:40 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Skinner - RNH - Eberle
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
XXX - Tavares - XXX
Ladd - O'Reilly - Kane

Old
04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
I'm surprised Canada is getting this big names this year, but like it was said I guess it's because the winter Olympics are 2 years away now and perhaps it's a motivating factor knowing it's played in Finland/Sweden so Canadians know we are bringing strong teams so it might be worth it coming here for good competition and the playing conditions should be pretty good compared to some other hosts in the recent years (Hartwall Arena etc).

I personally want Canada to bring as strong team as possible, since Canada is always incredibly hard for our team anyways and more stars for Canada = more underestimating Finland when our teams meet.
I read somewhere that the seedings for Sochi will be based on the results from this year's worlds. I'm sure Hockey Canada is stressing that when approaching players.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
russianhockey

was the Benn addition confirmed?

Old
04-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I read somewhere that the seedings for Sochi will be based on the results from this year's worlds. I'm sure Hockey Canada is stressing that when approaching players.
Are the seatings really that important?

Old
04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Are the seatings really that important?
Dressing rooms, schedule of games, facility, accessibility not having home ''ice'' advantage persay...and other logistical stuff from what I heard. It might matter because you know the russians will try to screw us as much as they can so the higher the better.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:41 PM
jc90
Gonna paint ur wagon

From TSN: SABRES' RUFF DECLINES INVITATION TO COACH TEAM CANADA
Quote:
Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff has declined an invitation to coach Team Canada at the Men's World Hockey Championship.

Discussions on a 'Plan B' to head the Canadian coaching staff, which includes Carolina Hurricanes' Kirk Muller and Tampa Bay Lightning's Guy Boucher, will continue Wednesday afternoon. Both Muller and Boucher accepted roles as assistant coaches last week.

Ruff coached Team Canada in 2009 in Bern, Switzerland, where the team came up short to the Russians in the gold medal game. It was Canada's last appearance in the final.

Canada travels to Zurich at the end of the month for a pair of exhibition games before it opens the world championship in Helsinki on May 4 against Slovakia.

Canada last captured gold at the event in 2007.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Julia

I wonder what is plan "B"..

Old
04-11-2012, 12:48 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
I wonder what is plan "B"..
Just a guess but maybe,

B)Brent Sutter
C)Tom Renney

Old
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
CAF1837

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
Dallman plays for Kazakhstan now.
Dallman never accepted Kazakhstan citizenship. And this week, his wife was given the boot from the country and his contract with Barys was terminated.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2...ave-kazakhstan

Closed Thread