HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

European Prospect Criteria

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
European Prospect Criteria

I'm having some trouble figureing out the prospect criteria for European players. It seems a bit vague.

It reads as follows....

3. European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

Now specifically speaking of the Leafs, they have two players that would seem to fit that category. Pierre Hedin and Mikael Tellqvist.

Both are European players who signed contracts after their 22nd birthday. So they should have 3 years after signing those contracts to still be considered prospects right? So why aren't they?

Furthermore, the Leafs just drafted Roman Kukumberg in this years draft. He's 24. Why shouldn't he be considered a prospect?

Old
10-04-2004, 09:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I saw that Kukumberg just had a big game the other day, never heard of him till then.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I saw that Kukumberg just had a big game the other day, never heard of him till then.
Yeah I know the Leaf's scouting staff really feel that they got a sleeper when they picked him.

The scouts were instructed to pretend that they didn't who he was if they were ever asked about him.

They even went so far as that they didn't talk about him at any of their meetings leading up to the draft so that word wouldn't get out that they were going to take him.

Old
10-04-2004, 09:57 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Yeah, he looks like a real steal. His first year in the Russian League as a 24 year old and he's got 8 points in 10 games so far. He was a guy that was expected to contend for a roster spot this year.

That's true, apparently the Leafs pretended like they didn't have a clue who he was on draft day, and they plucked him in the 4th round I think.

Old
10-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Form and Substance

Well I'm sure it's the Leafs wont to naturally draft a 24 year old prospect out of a prospect pool featuring junior aged players.

All seriousness aside, this cat's a late bloomer to be sure, plucking him in the fourth round, well I think they could strike gold.

Old
10-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I'm having some trouble figureing out the prospect criteria for European players. It seems a bit vague.

It reads as follows....

3. European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria. Those European players below the age of 22 that have signed a NHL contract will be subjected to the criteria in section one.

Now specifically speaking of the Leafs, they have two players that would seem to fit that category. Pierre Hedin and Mikael Tellqvist.

Both are European players who signed contracts after their 22nd birthday. So they should have 3 years after signing those contracts to still be considered prospects right? So why aren't they?

Furthermore, the Leafs just drafted Roman Kukumberg in this years draft. He's 24. Why shouldn't he be considered a prospect?
So yeah. Can anybody answer this question for me?

I brought it up to a writer that was on the organization rankings committee. He informed be it's because they are over 24 years old which cleary has nothing to do with the criteria for European prospects.

I then brought it up with our team writer (who is new). He apparently asked a senior member who again told him that it's because of their age.

It was then brought to the attention of another writer who told me I should post the question on the Feedback board. Which I did, but it was moved here.

Still, after all that, no answer yet....

Old
10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

from what I can tell (not official response)
Hedin was signed when he was 25, which is after the criteria mentioned in section 1 has passed...
Although that isn't referred to in the actual criteria, not being signed by the time the player is 24-25 has been discussed as the cutoff date for all players....

Tellqvist was signed prior to the 2001-02 campaign, July 3rd,2001 according to a google search. He would of been 21 (September 1979 birthday) at the time of the signing and therefore he would be under the rule of criteria 1. He recently completed the season of his 24th birthday (last year) and is therefore no longer a prospect.

I hope this helps.

Old
10-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Sebastien Centomo

I don't understand this.

Kukumberg was born in 1980 and isn't eligible to be a prospect but Peter Sejna, who was born in '79, is eligible.

Old
10-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus Joglund
I don't understand this.

Kukumberg was born in 1980 and isn't eligible to be a prospect but Peter Sejna, who was born in '79, is eligible.
I am pretty certain that the thread was brought up in regards to Tellqvist and Hedin.

Old
10-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafArmy

It reads as follows....

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
I am pretty certain that the thread was brought up in regards to Tellqvist and Hedin.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus Joglund
I don't understand this.

Kukumberg played in a professional mens league in Slovakia, Sejna played in the NCAA. NCAA players are given extra time as they are older then average aged prospects when they finish school.

Without looking it up there's also how many games a prospect has played in a professional league to consider.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Kukumberg played in a professional mens league in Slovakia, Sejna played in the NCAA. NCAA players are given extra time as they are older then average aged prospects when they finish school.

Without looking it up there's also how many games a prospect has played in a professional league to consider.
That's all I was looking for. Thanks for the clarification.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Leaf Army

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
from what I can tell (not official response)
Hedin was signed when he was 25, which is after the criteria mentioned in section 1 has passed...
Although that isn't referred to in the actual criteria, not being signed by the time the player is 24-25 has been discussed as the cutoff date for all players....
Well I guess this is what I meant when I said that the criteria vague.

The official explanation for the criteria even acknowlegdes that it's designed for prospects who arrive later and need time past their 24th birthday to develop.

Sections two and three are simply an acknowledgement that some prospects arrive on the scene a bit later than their peers, thus needing some time past their 24th birthday to develop into an NHL-caliber player.

It would seem to me that this section of the criteria is designed quite specifically for guys like Hedin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
Tellqvist was signed prior to the 2001-02 campaign, July 3rd,2001 according to a google search. He would of been 21 (September 1979 birthday) at the time of the signing and therefore he would be under the rule of criteria 1. He recently completed the season of his 24th birthday (last year) and is therefore no longer a prospect.
My bad. I guess was wrong on this one.

I've got to work on my math. Looks like Tellqvist actually signed a couple months before his 22nd birthday.

Quote:
Yeah, but like NCAA players, the criteria suggests that European players are also given some extra time.

Quote:
Well I can't find that anywhere. I can just go by the posted criteria on the HF website.

It just seems weird to me that we just drafted this guy, but he's not a prospect.

But that same criteria seems to imply that if we were to sign him tommorow, he would become a prospect.

Old
10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Sorry I was going off the old rules, HF recently changed the criteria, but since I'm late for work, I'll post it later, or perhaps someone from the staff can do so.

Closed Thread