HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2011-2012 Season Thread

Old
01-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Rally Donkey

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2011-2012 Season Thread

Anyone interested in discussing this year's Plymouth Whalers is invited to join in. Hot topics this week:
1. Velucci is famous for dramatic moves at the trade deadline. Will he stick with his stable or make changes next week? Who's on the block or in the mix?
2. BMO CHL Mastercard Rankings come out today. Where will the Whalers be at the end of the season and what are their chances for making it to the Mem Cup?

Rally Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Rally Donkey

BMO CHL Mastercard Rankings Week 15

Whalers move up to the 4 spot, London moves down to 2. Kitchener moves up one notch to 8.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...op-10-rankings

Old
01-04-2012, 07:32 PM
wingsfan17

Wow, that's one classy picture. Haven't heard many specific trade rumor but I think they do need to make a trade if they want to win this year since I'm sure other teams will be making moves at the deadline. I think Cody Payne needs to go before he loses any more value. 0 goals and 4 assists in 21 games with the team. He's getting more time now with players gone but he hasn't impressed me in that time, even in his 2 point game last week he was taking bad shots and playing selfish. Upgrade Payne and Malysa and I think this team will be a huge threat in the playoffs.

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfan17 View Post
Wow, that's one classy picture. Haven't heard many specific trade rumor but I think they do need to make a trade if they want to win this year since I'm sure other teams will be making moves at the deadline. I think Cody Payne needs to go before he loses any more value. 0 goals and 4 assists in 21 games with the team. He's getting more time now with players gone but he hasn't impressed me in that time, even in his 2 point game last week he was taking bad shots and playing selfish. Upgrade Payne and Malysa and I think this team will be a huge threat in the playoffs.
Here's the story behind that card if you're interested. Good points by you. Seems like the Whalers just picked up Payne recently - what do you think they can get for him? Malysa's been playing pretty well. Who do they need in return for these guys or others to win the Cup?

According to the Peterborough Examiner, Austin Watson may be available. Is he the right piece for Plymouth? What would the Whalers have to give up to get him, and do they need more help at forward or defense?

Old
01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Ingemar39

Whalers should contend for Robertson Cup. Solid goaltending, D and have played solid all year. Noesen and Miller leading the way up front. Wedgewood will rebound from Russia game. Mahalak a very solid #2 and could challenge for #1. Good outlook looking forward. Unless Noesen and Miller crack the Sens or Rangers lineup next year expect them to be back. Plus, we got some picks back for the priority draft in April from the Patterson trade. Looking a little thin at goalie for the next few years with Wedgewood leaving after this year.

Ingemar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Libbs

If Plymouth is after Watson, one should expect Dempsey to be going the other way.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
aresknights

Quote:
What would the Whalers have to give up to get him, and do they need more help at forward or defense?
I dont think a true goal scorer would hurt. A game breaker type for those close PO games.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:18 PM
wingsfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingemar39 View Post
Whalers should contend for Robertson Cup. Solid goaltending, D and have played solid all year. Noesen and Miller leading the way up front. Wedgewood will rebound from Russia game. Mahalak a very solid #2 and could challenge for #1. Good outlook looking forward. Unless Noesen and Miller crack the Sens or Rangers lineup next year expect them to be back. Plus, we got some picks back for the priority draft in April from the Patterson trade. Looking a little thin at goalie for the next few years with Wedgewood leaving after this year.
I think the Whalers knew all year that Miller was just going to be a 1 year rental, he's not expected to return next year. I don't know what the official pick count is but I know the 4th or whatever rounder they got for Patterson isn't going to make up for all the 2nds and 3rds they've traded away the last few years.

Watson would be a great pick up, he is coming of a good performance at the world juniors and is from right around Plymouth. Yeah Mitchell would probably have to be in the deal, but I'd probably rather give up him than three 2nd rounders.

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Hockeyfever

Now that it has been confimed that McKegg has been traded to London do the Whalers and Vellucci stay pat? London has definately put some pressure on the rest of the West. It has been put out there that Watson has played his last game as a Pete and won't be returning there. I think that Watson could help Plymouth in their playoff run. Any other players you know of that Plymouth might try to pick up?

Hockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Rally Donkey

Home vs Saginaw 1/7

Home game tonight vs Saginaw is the first since all players have returned from the WJC. Rakell, Miller & Trutmann are back for Plymouth. Saad should be back for Saginaw. Last game was a thumping by the Whalers. Will Saad make a difference this time?

Old
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Rally Donkey

No Deals

No trades were made by Plymouth at today's deadline. Whalers GM Mike Velucci- “Usually, trades are made to fill holes,” Vellucci said. “I don’t feel like we have any holes to fill.” Usually MV makes some interesting if not bold moves around this time, but not this year. I think that says a lot about the confidence he has in his team. With London's additions, there are going to be some great matchups in the 2nd half of this season.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Rally Donkey

Excellent article in the London Free Press interviewing MV. Good insight into one of the shrewdest and most successful GMs in the league.

Also, Plymouth moves up another rung to third place in the BMO CHL Mastercard Top Ten Rankings for week 16 of the season. London still has the edge over Plymouth at number 2 while the WHL's Tri City Americans remain at the top of the rankings. Plymouth and London don't meet again until Feb 10 in London. That should be a great game.

Last edited by Rally Donkey: 01-12-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old
01-19-2012, 07:37 PM
melly451

vCash: 420
I live near Plymouth, and I've gotta say I love going to Whalers games. I think they have a great chance at winning this year, Mahalak and Wedgewood are two great goalies and both could be starters. Noesen is a great player on the front end and Levi's good on the back. I really like their chances this year

melly451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Rally Donkey

Offensive Slump?

Any cause for concern with the recent losses to Owen Sound and Brampton? Is this a slump and what's the fix, or does it even matter as long as they play up to their potential in the playoffs? I wouldn't mind if they play 500 hockey from now until the playoffs start, but I really believe they're capable of going all the way this year. I think they'll get it figured out sooner rather than later. No SOG in the 2nd period - OUCH.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
NHL Fanatic

Scott Wedgewood, Rickard Rakell and JT Miller had good games tonight against Brampton just no flow to their offense. Only 4 shots after two periods, Brampton dominated. They just need to get back to making the simple plays.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:44 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
No trades were made by Plymouth at today's deadline. Whalers GM Mike Velucci- “Usually, trades are made to fill holes,” Vellucci said. “I don’t feel like we have any holes to fill.” Usually MV makes some interesting if not bold moves around this time, but not this year. I think that says a lot about the confidence he has in his team. With London's additions, there are going to be some great matchups in the 2nd half of this season.
Some were saying scoring depth and a stud defence should of been added.

These two losses may point to that issue more now.

See how they fare over there next 3 games first.

But outshot 35-9 is sure strange for Plymouth.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 07:07 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Some were saying scoring depth and a stud defence should of been added.

These two losses may point to that issue more now.

See how they fare over there next 3 games first.

But outshot 35-9 is sure strange for Plymouth.
I watched the game when got home from the BMC....and I can say this....this was just plain and simple..a complete team off night...u will have them over the course of a season...

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Rally Donkey

Whalers in the Winter Classic at Comerica Park?

Wouldn't it be great if the Whalers, Knights, Spits and Spirit played a double header at Comerica Park next year? Who needs the Big House? Better yet, move the NHL teams to Comerica Park, too!

Read Neate Sager's Buzzing the Net.

Old
01-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Belenos

Any information on Trutmann? He signed a contract with my hometown team. What are his strengths and weaknesses? Shot? Physical game? Thanks!

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Any information on Trutmann? He signed a contract with my hometown team. What are his strengths and weaknesses? Shot? Physical game? Thanks!
Trutmann is an excellent defenseman for the Whalers. He plays a very solid and energetic style with good instincts and high hockey IQ. Very responsible in the defensive end. He's not one of the top scorers, however I don't think this is a liability. He's good at doing what is asked of him in my opinion. He has the skills and depending on the team he's with, he could show more offensively. He is not big by NHL defensemen standards, but he is big enough and he's a physical player who doesn't take a lot of penalties.

As far as weaknesses go, he doesn't have many, but if I could change anything about him, I'd make him be a little nastier & meaner. I don't mean I want him to fight, but I'd like to see him be more of a pain the #ass to opposing fowards. I don't think he intimidates guys as much as he could - possibly be cause his skill level is high enough that he doesn't need to intimidate a guy to strip the puck or get his team out of the zone, but I think he could contribute psychologically even more than he is aware.

Which team did he sign with? I hadn't heard about that.

Last edited by Rally Donkey: 01-31-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Belenos

Thank you for your response. He signed with EHC Biel in the highest Swiss League. It's one of the teams with the lowest budget in the league, but Biel is also known to help develop young players like Trutmann. Should be good for him!

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Rally Donkey

Whalers vs London

Tonight's matchup between the Whalers and Knights is a precursor to the big announcement of the week. Although some of the players on the ice tonight will have moved on to AHL or NHL ranks by this time next year, could London/Plymouth be a bigger rivalry than Windsor/Plymouth? Either way, the Winter Classic event will be a huge draw.

Old
02-11-2012, 06:28 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I watched the game when got home from the BMC....and I can say this....this was just plain and simple..a complete team off night...u will have them over the course of a season...
I go back to what I said at deadline with Plymouth....( defence )
Throw out the fact these 2 teams played a crazy game last night , 96 shots/ 14 goals and run n gun all night. What caught my attention watching Plymouth closely was their D...once London got them moving they broke down quickly and that may become a elephant in the room come playoffs.

Old
02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
I go back to what I said at deadline with Plymouth....( defence )
Throw out the fact these 2 teams played a crazy game last night , 96 shots/ 14 goals and run n gun all night. What caught my attention watching Plymouth closely was their D...once London got them moving they broke down quickly and that may become a elephant in the room come playoffs.
I don't know about that, Simon. I think Wedgewood had an off night, and they were missing Cody Payne, Mitch Jones, Matt Mistele and Mitchell Dempsey all serving the first game of a two-game suspension - Mitchell Heard and Tom Wilson out of the lineup with injuries and Head Coach Mike Vellucci serving the first game of a five-game suspension. Considering the Whalers hung with London in the absence of those key people, I'd say they look pretty strong and I still favor them to win the West. Defense has been pretty consistent. When everyone's healthy and in the lineup, I can't see anybody beating them 4 games out of 7 regardless of where they end up in the final seeding.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
I don't know about that, Simon. I think Wedgewood had an off night, and they were missing Cody Payne, Mitch Jones, Matt Mistele and Mitchell Dempsey all serving the first game of a two-game suspension - Mitchell Heard and Tom Wilson out of the lineup with injuries and Head Coach Mike Vellucci serving the first game of a five-game suspension. Considering the Whalers hung with London in the absence of those key people, I'd say they look pretty strong and I still favor them to win the West. Defense has been pretty consistent. When everyone's healthy and in the lineup, I can't see anybody beating them 4 games out of 7 regardless of where they end up in the final seeding.
Perhaps but they are not a team without warts.

Every team is missing guys and London have been missing major pieces for a while now.

What surprised me the most was the breakdowns on defence from Plymouth which you don't normally see. Going 6-4 in last 10 kind of shows they are beatable.