Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2011-2012 Season Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Rally Donkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Perhaps but they are not a team without warts.

Every team is missing guys and London have been missing major pieces for a while now.

What surprised me the most was the breakdowns on defence from Plymouth which you don't normally see. Going 6-4 in last 10 kind of shows they are beatable.
"Beatable" I definitely agree with, but by whom and how many times?

Once - any team can beat the Whalers on any given night
Twice - 5 or 6 teams can take 2 out of 7 games in a series
Three Times - Maybe Niagara, London, Ottawa, Sarnia?
Four Times - Nobody (Runners up Niagara & London)

Rally Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Rally Donkey

Frankenmuth!?!

Whalers announcer Pete Krupsky says "if the puck doesn't hit the net, it ends up in Frankenmuth." That's what I call color commentating, LOL.;

Old
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Smashhouse92

wow Aleardi has 33G this season 31 are even strength, the other 2 are Short handed. 31 straight even strength

Smashhouse92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashhouse92 View Post
wow Aleardi has 33G this season 31 are even strength, the other 2 are Short handed. 31 straight even strength
I agree he's having a great season. Any time Aleardi has the puck on his stick, you expect something good to happen. Seems like he's getting better at playmaking, too. Last year if he was bringing the puck in the zone, it seemed like he would always go for the finish himself. This year, especially the second half, it seems to me like he's even more of a threat as you never know if he's going to finish it off himself or drop it in front for someone else to bury. If the other Whalers get to the net more consistently with him, they will collect a lot of his leftovers and giftwrapped specials. I think this is his final year of draft eligibility- either way, I'd expect him to be signed by someone before the end of the summer.

Whalers moved into 1st place tie with London last night. There's a real possibility they could finish first even tho the Knights still have like 3 games in hand.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Rally Donkey

Hamilton Spectator Race

With only two games left, the race for the OHL West couldn't be more exciting. Kitchener helped out the Whalers last night with a win over London. With two games left, can the Whalers finish the regular season with an 11-game winning streak? Will Sarnia or Windsor play the spoiler role for London? Both teams managed to steal a game from London in their last tilts, but can either of them repeat? I don't know if Erie's in a position to surprise London in their last game of the season, but you never know until it's all over. This a great week for Western Confernce hockey, though.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Rally Donkey

Down to the Wire

The Whalers' fate is in the hands of Sarnia tonight. Playing back to back games, London lost to Windsor last night and takes on a hungry Sarnia team tonight. If Sarnia can get a win in London, the Whalers can finish in first place - as long as they beat the Sting tomorrow.

The Whalers are fortunate that the London/Windsor game was played at the WFCU. Windsor's fans will them to a spot in the post season - and maybe they will the scoreboard to fail with 2 minutes left in the game ;-)

Sarnia will have to leave it all on the ice tonight if they want to escape the JLC with a win. If they do, they should be sufficiently pooped and ripe for a Whaler whooping tomorrow. If they don't, Saturday's game won't matter because London will have won the tie-breaker for first place and the Hamilton Spectator Cup (assuming the Whalers win on Saturday).

I think London has the edge, being on home ice tonight, and they rarely lose two in a row. Sarnia is a lock for fourth place in the West and may not have the motivation to risk injury before the playoffs. If they have the character to compete, they definitely have the talent to pull this off. Sarnia won their last game against London 6-2 in February.

11 straight wins - either way, that's what the Whaler's are playing for on Saturday night. It's all about pride and character at this point.

Old
03-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Libbs

Sarnia is not locked into anything... OS and Saginaw can still pass them.

I too and rooting for Sarnia tonight and Plymouth on Saturday. The Spits would much rather play London than Plymouth

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Sarnia is not locked into anything... OS and Saginaw can still pass them....I too and rooting for Sarnia tonight and Plymouth on Saturday. The Spits would much rather play London than Plymouth
I meant Sarnia is a lock for post-season play. They can finish as high as 4th or as low as 6th, but they're in the playoffs. The stakes were higher for the Spits last night. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. London's taking on two strong teams in consecutive nights. Windsor has now won their last two games against the Knights and Sanria won the last time they faced London in February.

Sarnia has a slight advantage tonight because they were "resting" yesterday when London was giving it everything they had to hold off Windsor. London also has an advantage, though, because they're playing at home. In any other scenario, I'd go with London tonight but given the Feb loss to Sarnia, a tough game last night, and fresh Stingers, there's at least a 50/50 chance Sarnia will help the Whalers' cause. Just make sure Bougie's jumbo tron is working next week, will ya

Old
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Crottenham

I'm just wondering if someone who watches this team regularly could provide some inights into Jamie Devane's game and wherre he might project as an NHLer.

I suspect he'll have to spend at least next year with the Marlies, but how much upside does Devane have? Thanks!

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

I know both of the Wilson's, used to Play with Jamie. He's a great kid, just like his older brother.

Both of them have good heads on em.

Pulp Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:39 PM
ExtremeHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I'm just wondering if someone who watches this team regularly could provide some inights into Jamie Devane's game and wherre he might project as an NHLer.

I suspect he'll have to spend at least next year with the Marlies, but how much upside does Devane have? Thanks!
If there's one thing Devane has that'll give him a shot at sticking in the NHL it's his size. He won't be much more than a third liner at best though. Probably a career AHLer. As much as I want him to be a full-time Leaf, I can't see it happening. He works well with skill players like Noesen and Miller, so hopefully he'll get a shot in the NHL.

ExtremeHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post

I guess you forgot about the Rangers!!!!!!!!!

Maybe a trade or two at the deadline would have helped

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post

Unless they're playing Kitchener. In that case, it's **** up, season over.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote