HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
  #26
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.
 
Makeshift We Are's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winnipeg,MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbullet View Post
What kind of return would the jets expect for Chris Thorburn?
First round pick + Top end prospect + Starting goalie + top six forward + top two Dman.









Makeshift We Are is offline  
Old
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
  #27
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,762
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbullet View Post
What kind of return would the jets expect for Chris Thorburn?
You have to pay a little extra for the nose, you realize.

YWGinYYZ is offline  
Old
01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
  #28
Jet
Moderator
Confirmed Pav Basher
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,231
vCash: 50
Colton Orr is on waivers, cue the "bring him home" posts

Personally, I like our team toughness and see no reason to have a no talent slug weighing down our roster. We already have to make some tough decisions here soon.

I hate tough guys who can't play. I hope they go the way of the dino.

__________________
The Jets rollercoaster ride is now over. Please wait for it to come to a complete stop before exiting
Jet is offline  
Old
01-04-2012, 10:45 PM
  #29
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,536
vCash: 500

Lynk is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 01:34 AM
  #30
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 50
That's interesting.

But I imagine that both players can move if they really push for the trade. I know selanne is prolly done, but I doubt that koivu is far behind.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 01:43 AM
  #31
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
The whole Ducks/Selanne thing reminds me a bit of Brett Farve and Green Bay.

Selanne seems to want to play (or in this case, play to win a Cup) while Anaheim wants him to retire as a Duck. Selanne might not force Murray to trade him this year, but what happens if Selanne wants to play next year? The fact that the Ducks are a bottom-feeder could play a role in Selanne's decision. He could go down the street and sign with the Kings, go up the California coast and sign with his former team the Sharks or maybe even return to Winnipeg and sign with the Jets.

WJG is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
  #32
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 22,922
vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
It's funny. When was the last time the younger more talented players were NOT untouchable and the older less talented guys were?

BigTuna49 is online now  
Old
01-05-2012, 08:42 AM
  #33
DinoNeils
Registered User
 
DinoNeils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
It's funny. When was the last time the younger more talented players were NOT untouchable and the older less talented guys were?
When I heard that on SC this morning I shook my head. My bet is this is more a ploy to get the media attention away from all the whirling speculation and dreaming of Selanne's return to Winnipeg and Koivu closing out his career with his bro.

DinoNeils is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 08:53 AM
  #34
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
When I heard that on SC this morning I shook my head. My bet is this is more a ploy to get the media attention away from all the whirling speculation and dreaming of Selanne's return to Winnipeg and Koivu closing out his career with his bro.
It is more likely a case of an attempt by a team with a very tight internal cap trying to rid themselves of some big contracts. Anaheim's problem is twofold; they don't have much money to spend and have too much of what they can spend allocated to just a few big ticket items.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 08:59 AM
  #35
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
So....
Gezlaf, Perry, Ryan, Nash all could be had...
Not saying we are going after them or even should....

But thats allot of star power on the trade block.

__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:03 AM
  #36
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,591
vCash: 50
On one of the prediction threads some guy said that both koivu and selanne are gonna come to Winnipeg.

I'm pretty sure that's wishful thinking.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
  #37
Aerial
Registered User
 
Aerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
When I heard that on SC this morning I shook my head. My bet is this is more a ploy to get the media attention away from all the whirling speculation and dreaming of Selanne's return to Winnipeg and Koivu closing out his career with his bro.
The statement is non-news as far as Selanne and Koivu are concerned -- they both have full NMCs, so it's just a statement of fact. What's he going to say, "Yeah, I'll be asking those guys to waive their NMC?"

It's only really interesting in that it signals that Getzlaf and Perry, in addition to Ryan, are also potentially on the block -- I would say it's more a signal to every player on the team WITHOUT a NMC. But I don't think we're in that hunt.

Aerial is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
  #38
Gm0ney
Registered User
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSugar View Post
The statement is non-news as far as Selanne and Koivu are concerned -- they both have full NMCs, so it's just a statement of fact. What's he going to say, "Yeah, I'll be asking those guys to waive their NMC?"

It's only really interesting in that it signals that Getzlaf and Perry, in addition to Ryan, are also potentially on the block -- I would say it's more a signal to every player on the team WITHOUT a NMC. But I don't think we're in that hunt.
I think he's trying to shake up the team, too - for the GM to come right out and say "I'll trade anyone"...you don't hear that very often. They fired Carlyle and brought in a pretty big name in Boudreau to replace him. What else is left in the motivational cupboard?

Gm0ney is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
  #39
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
So....
Gezlaf, Perry, Ryan, Nash all could be had...
Not saying we are going after them or even should....

But thats allot of star power on the trade block.
Can't recall who it was but someone on our Jets board absolutely hates Corey Perry. I conversely love Corey Perry. He is a huge guy that can skate like the wind and snipe, is a dink and as such is difficult to play against but is also a guy you'd love as a teammate, and he will even throw hands if required. I would lose it with joy if he ever became a Jet; it is nice to dream.


Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:37 AM
  #40
DinoNeils
Registered User
 
DinoNeils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
It is more likely a case of an attempt by a team with a very tight internal cap trying to rid themselves of some big contracts. Anaheim's problem is twofold; they don't have much money to spend and have too much of what they can spend allocated to just a few big ticket items.
They have almost 10 mill tied up in Koivu, Selanne and Blake; if they want to dump salary, they should give away Blake to a team needing to hit the cap floor and get a pick for Koivu. Selanne is a non issue for them; he comes of the books one way or another.

The answer would not be to trade any of Ryan, Perry or Getz; non of those guys have a cap hit over 5.325, nor is should that be too much tied up in a teams core three when you look around the league (even in comparison to the Preds core three forwards, the Ducks guys aren't making that much more).

If you look even further down that lineup, they have the following brutal contracts:
  • Hagman at 3
  • Cogliano at 2.4
  • Beauchemin at 3.8

The Ducks are more than five million under the cap as it stands; if they want to be in a cap sittuation like the Preds, replacing Selanne, Koivu and Blake with guys around the 1-2 mill mark would just about do it.

DinoNeils is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:44 AM
  #41
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
They have almost 10 mill tied up in Koivu, Selanne and Blake; if they want to dump salary, they should give away Blake to a team needing to hit the cap floor and get a pick for Koivu. Selanne is a non issue for them; he comes of the books one way or another.

The answer would not be to trade any of Ryan, Perry or Getz; non of those guys have a cap hit over 5.325, nor is should that be too much tied up in a teams core three when you look around the league (even in comparison to the Preds core three forwards, the Ducks guys aren't making that much more).

If you look even further down that lineup, they have the following brutal contracts:
  • Hagman at 3
  • Cogliano at 2.4
  • Beauchemin at 3.8

The Ducks are more than five million under the cap as it stands; if they want to be in a cap sittuation like the Preds, replacing Selanne, Koivu and Blake with guys around the 1-2 mill mark would just about do it.
You make very good points, but I guess it is also a case of wanting to change the overall composition of the team? I agree that the answer is not to trade either Getzlaf or Perry, though Ryan isn't the most competitive guy I've heard. Their management supposedly aren't happy with Getzlaf recently, either. Not sure why though.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
  #42
DinoNeils
Registered User
 
DinoNeils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
As some have said, I am sure the comments about everyone being on the block are more to set a fire under those guys.

I really doubt trading any of that teams core would help that team; even if it meant eleviating some cap pressure. They have plenty of other options that they could dump to eleviate some cap pressure.

DinoNeils is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
  #43
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
As some have said, I am sure the comments about everyone being on the block are more to set a fire under those guys.

I really doubt trading any of that teams core would help that team; even if it meant eleviating some cap pressure. They have plenty of other options that they could dump to eleviate some cap pressure.
Some of the players you mentioned though wouldn't fetch much. Blake? Hagman, Cogliano, etc won't garner much of anything in return. A few picks perhaps. Then you are left with three players eating much of your payroll and not much else. I agree that they won't trade all three but surely they'll move at least one of them; I'm betting it will be Ryan. I think this case is similar to what Calgary are doing. They had too much money tied up with Phaneuf and Regher's contracts when combined with Iggy and Kippur's money. They are looking to spread their risk out against more contracts rather than having a good chunk tied up against just a few.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
  #44
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Can't recall who it was but someone on our Jets board absolutely hates Corey Perry. I conversely love Corey Perry. He is a huge guy that can skate like the wind and snipe, is a dink and as such is difficult to play against but is also a guy you'd love as a teammate, and he will even throw hands if required. I would lose it with joy if he ever became a Jet; it is nice to dream.

That would be me. I P...P...Fairy is just such a little *****. Talks and talks then will only fight small guys when he does fight. Then talks some more and hides behind goons like Parros that can hardly ****ing skate. He's high pitched little voice annoys me. His whiny little attitude pisses me off. He's a loser that had ONE career year and people talk about him like he's a Stamkos talent. No, he's a 25-35 goal 50-65 point guy that is a little *****, no overly physical. There's no doubting he is good player, but I hate people that don't back up their words. You can be a pest and still have some semblance of toughness, but Fairy doesn't.

__________________


Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
  #45
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That would be me. I P...P...Fairy is just such a little *****. Talks and talks then will only fight small guys when he does fight. Then talks some more and hides behind goons like Parros that can hardly ****ing skate. He's high pitched little voice annoys me. His whiny little attitude pisses me off. He's a loser that had ONE career year and people talk about him like he's a Stamkos talent. No, he's a 25-35 goal 50-65 point guy that is a little *****, no overly physical. There's no doubting he is good player, but I hate people that don't back up their words. You can be a pest and still have some semblance of toughness, but Fairy doesn't.
Hahahahaha.



He is an instigator and a goal scorer. I still love him.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
  #46
Ziggy66
Registered User
 
Ziggy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That would be me. I P...P...Fairy is just such a little *****. Talks and talks then will only fight small guys when he does fight. Then talks some more and hides behind goons like Parros that can hardly ****ing skate. He's high pitched little voice annoys me. His whiny little attitude pisses me off. He's a loser that had ONE career year and people talk about him like he's a Stamkos talent. No, he's a 25-35 goal 50-65 point guy that is a little *****, no overly physical. There's no doubting he is good player, but I hate people that don't back up their words. You can be a pest and still have some semblance of toughness, but Fairy doesn't.
lol.

But it is interesting that so many of their star players are up for grabs. Guess they cant get along with Bruce either. Kind of figured it was a problem in the locker room and not the coach.

Ziggy66 is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 10:32 AM
  #47
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
It's funny. When was the last time the younger more talented players were NOT untouchable and the older less talented guys were?
Translation - every single Duck is available. Murray can't say that Koivu and Selanne are on the block because of the very fact that they are the 2 players with NMC - literally (maybe legally in the CBA?) can't say that he is/would shop them.

Don't think for a second that Murray won't be walking down the hall and asking either or both of them if they would be willing to go anywhere

TCsmyth is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
  #48
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That would be me. I P...P...Fairy is just such a little *****. Talks and talks then will only fight small guys when he does fight. Then talks some more and hides behind goons like Parros that can hardly ****ing skate. He's high pitched little voice annoys me. His whiny little attitude pisses me off. He's a loser that had ONE career year and people talk about him like he's a Stamkos talent. No, he's a 25-35 goal 50-65 point guy that is a little *****, no overly physical. There's no doubting he is good player, but I hate people that don't back up their words. You can be a pest and still have some semblance of toughness, but Fairy doesn't.
So in other words...... he's a more offensives Dustin Brown.

atl thrasher344 is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
  #49
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greater Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
They have almost 10 mill tied up in Koivu, Selanne and Blake; if they want to dump salary, they should give away Blake to a team needing to hit the cap floor and get a pick for Koivu. Selanne is a non issue for them; he comes of the books one way or another.

The answer would not be to trade any of Ryan, Perry or Getz; non of those guys have a cap hit over 5.325, nor is should that be too much tied up in a teams core three when you look around the league (even in comparison to the Preds core three forwards, the Ducks guys aren't making that much more).

If you look even further down that lineup, they have the following brutal contracts:
  • Hagman at 3
  • Cogliano at 2.4
  • Beauchemin at 3.8

The Ducks are more than five million under the cap as it stands; if they want to be in a cap sittuation like the Preds, replacing Selanne, Koivu and Blake with guys around the 1-2 mill mark would just about do it.
I agree with this. Unlike the speculation around Nash, none of Getzlaf, Perry or Ryan carry a terrible contract. Anaheim doesn't want to trade these guys because there's no way they'll get fair value for them and there are plenty of other ways for them to dump salary without killing fan interest or wrecking the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I think he's trying to shake up the team, too - for the GM to come right out and say "I'll trade anyone"...you don't hear that very often. They fired Carlyle and brought in a pretty big name in Boudreau to replace him. What else is left in the motivational cupboard?
Absolutely. It's a good tactic at this point. That team isn't playing up to expectations at all.

vBurmi is offline  
Old
01-05-2012, 11:12 AM
  #50
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,722
vCash: 1350
Interview with GM Cheveldayoff from this morning...

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...05_100326_3404

Gump Hasek is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.