HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
If we make the playoffs this year, we might not go far but at least it will give upcoming UFAs an idea of what sort of direction the Jets are going. Last year, not too many players would have wanted to play here because they didn't know anything about the organization, the owners, the city, the direction of the team, the fans, etc. We basically took what we could get (ie. Wellwood after weeks of consideration, Jones because we overpaid, Meech because he was a Winnipegger and MacLean/Miettinen off waivers).

Next year, I hope we can pull of a Florida-style July 1st and sign a couple of players (without paying much). Some interesting UFAs to hit the market will be:

Andrei Kostitsyn (26)
Ales Hemsky (28)
Jordin Tootoo (28) - hometowner
Tuomo Ruutu (28)
Tim Gleason (28) - the perfect D partner for Bogosian IMO
Paul Gaustad (29)
Dustin Penner (29) - another hometowner
Jarret Stoll (29)
A huge fat NO to Penner. I don't need to explain.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
NYC is a different place when you have millions of dollars in your 20's. Of course not everyone will want to play there. I know i would, but I love big cities. I can't honestly say why I am still in Winnipeg
Maybe. Don't get me wrong, I am for sure a big city kind of guy. I've never been a typical Manitoban loving the outdoors. But having trouble breathing, the people there and everything make me avoid that city like the plague. My dream school was Boston College. I would love to live in Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, Montreal, San Jose/San Francisco(note, these are the only two I have not visited on my list, so I wouldn't know about transport there angrymnky), hell even Toronto* or maybe Anaheim/another suburb of LA. But not NYC. I am early 20's as well, btw. Of course, do not have millions of dollars

*=Note, I got no problems with Winnipeg don't get me wrong. It's a fine city. But I do love the pace of the bigger cities.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:46 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post
A huge FAT no to Penner. I don't need to explain.
I think you put caps on the wrong word
fix it for you

Old
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
On balance this category of "where they want to live or not live" is not as big a factor now as it use to be back in the 1.0 days before the cap and even then I think it was more about money and a chance to win than it was about the city itself.

Since the new CBA and the hard cap a player has no choice (or next to no choice) in where they play for the first seven years of their pro career or until they are 27 so if a team like Winnipeg or New York drafts and develops well they will be in the mix come playoff time and can win a championship. Also with the hard cap our payroll will be competitive and there are only so many jobs in the NHL.

Sure there will be the occasional free agent who wants the sun or a wife that might not want to live in Winnipeg but there will also be wives and players who grew up in small towns and who prefer to live here. Chevy and TNSE will get it figured out and it will not be a significant factor in keeping us from the promised land.

In the new NHL everyone has a shot if they have a decent organization which is all a fan can ask for

Old
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I think you put caps on the wrong word
fix it for you
Quote:
Pun intended?

Yes.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Maybe. Don't get me wrong, I am for sure a big city kind of guy. I've never been a typical Manitoban loving the outdoors. But having trouble breathing, the people there and everything make me avoid that city like the plague. My dream school was Boston College. I would love to live in Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, Montreal, San Jose/San Francisco(note, these are the only two I have not visited on my list, so I wouldn't know about transport there angrymnky), hell even Toronto* or maybe Anaheim/another suburb of LA. But not NYC. I am early 20's as well, btw. Of course, do not have millions of dollars

*=Note, I got no problems with Winnipeg don't get me wrong. It's a fine city. But I do love the pace of the bigger cities.
I wasn't crazy about Philly. NYC was fun to visit but would NEVER live there. Washington on the other hand? In a second. We stayed in a burb in Maryland about 25 minutes outside the city and it was phenomenal.

01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I wasn't crazy about Philly. NYC was fun to visit but would NEVER live there. Washington on the other hand? In a second. We stayed in a burb in Maryland about 25 minutes outside the city and it was phenomenal.
The bolded part - THIS a million times over. Visited over the summer... Seriously an amazing place. Really neat to visit and experience. But I wouldn't want to live there. Hell, I don't think I could. I don't like the hustle and bustle.

Anyone hearing any trade rumours? Damn this organization and their tight-lippedness.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
The bolded part - THIS a million times over. Visited over the summer... Seriously an amazing place. Really neat to visit and experience. But I wouldn't want to live there. Hell, I don't think I could. I don't like the hustle and bustle.

Anyone hearing any trade rumours? Damn this organization and their tight-lippedness.
Yes NYC is great but not for everyone when it comes to living there. I really enjoy Chicago but if I was younger and single again I would choose Anaheim (Orange County) as my top destination to live in the US.

Old
01-06-2012, 04:22 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Paris, Toronto, New York, Chicago, pick your glamour towns..........these are all great places to visit and even live in when you are young. The challenge is depending on your priorities and life style they are not the type of towns you want to get caught in when the clock strikes midnight (you meet your wife and want to raise a family).

unless you make 7 figures a year you are destined to spend allot of your days in traffic swearing at the bumper of another person in a traffic jam that is just as angry as you are.

I own businesses in Toronto and get to travel allot with my operating partners during their day to day routines in the GTA and its not that great really. We talk about the weather they talk about traffic.

as a guy living in Winnipeg I probably get to the ACC to take advantage of events as much if not more than 99% of people living in Toronto and I live in Winnipeg

for the most part a good visit to these cities can net you the same fun as the average person gets in a year that lives there and is caught up in day to day life.

fun places to visit but I wouldn't want to live there and I have had the option

Old
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
True, but our view is skewed towards the positives here. The things we are used to and like don't exist in bug cities but the reverse is true. Professional hockey players don't have the same limitations the average Joe does.
You are 100% true in the context of this forum I was deviating a Tad to follow the trend of our personal prefs.

I still think there are some players and wives who would prefer small markets and some that prefer big markets. Despite what people think many of the wives and the players grew up in small towns or hockey cites and most of them are really down to earth (or at leat the ones I have met over the years). Sure there are some that are too cool for school but I think most on balance are quite prepared to go where their husbands make money and most of the boys will go where they are signed or get traded to and make the best out of it.

As I said its my opinion that if we run our organization with class this will be a non factor

Old
01-07-2012, 08:59 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Sens fan living in MB, come in peace.

Is there a chance that with the Ducks basically cooked for the season, that the Jets might try to grab Selanne for a possible playoff push/run? You've have to think he'd be one of the most popular and talented players and it'd be lovely symbolism linking the two incarnations of the Jets!

Old
01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post

Is there a chance that with the Ducks basically cooked for the season, that the Jets might try to grab Selanne for a possible playoff push/run? You've have to think he'd be one of the most popular and talented players and it'd be lovely symbolism linking the two
incarnations of the Jets!
Here's a stick. Come with me. I'll take you to my former horse.

Old
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Is there a reference in there?
Nah, just sarcasm. I guess that wasn't very nice of me...

Old
01-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronhoo View Post
Here's a stick. Come with me. I'll take you to my former horse.
just a suggestion, instead of a cryptic message about beating a dead horse you could direct him to the thread.

I would do it but on my phone.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post

Is there a chance that with the Ducks basically cooked for the season, that the Jets might try to grab Selanne for a possible playoff push/run? You've have to think he'd be one of the most popular and talented players and it'd be lovely symbolism linking the two incarnations of the Jets!
Here's a thread where this is discussed:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1069671

If you go further back in this thread, there's other discussion about it as well.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Just gonna say this... I think Hemsky would look very good on a line with Kane and Wheeler.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Just gonna say this... I think Hemsky would look very good on a line with Kane and Wheeler.
I actually think Hemsky is a great player.

Guy just can't stay healthy. Only thing that worries me is I've seen him make soft plays in what seems like an attempt to avoid injury.

I wonder what the cost to get him off of Edmonton would be.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
IMO, our first line is set with Kane-Little-Wheeler for years to come unless they make a 180 like Ladd-Little-Wheeler did.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Huffer

Quote:
And who plays centre?

Absolutely no interest in Hemsky.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
And who plays centre?

Absolutely no interest in Hemsky.
I agree. I love Hemsky but he is to injury prone and sporadic in his play