HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Wpgpage

vCash: 500
Wonder what it would take to get Franson think he would fit in well here could be a solid 3rd pairing guy playing with Stuart,

Bogo-Hiansey
Toby-Buff
Stuart-Frason

Hes probably the odd man out in Toronto anyway, Phaneuf and Komi are not going anywhere, Scheen just signed a new deal as did Gunnerson who they seam to like alot, and Aulie and Gardiner are both younger and cheaper. Fransen is a RFA this year and even at a modest raise from .8 to 1.2 mil he may not fit into the Leafs cap plans.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I don't think adding a defenseman is what the org is looking for right now. We have an abundance of them, what we need is a scoring winger.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think our defense is pretty much set with Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Hainsey, Oduya and Stuart. I'm also liking what I'm seeing from Jones. He's a much, much better option than Flood IMO.

We also have Kulda, Postma and Redmond waiting in the minors. Kulda has pretty much locked up Oduya's spot next year and Postma could battle Flood (if he re-signs) for the 7th defenseman's spot. The real gem here is Redmond. The guy is going to be a stud IMO.

In two years, I could see our pairings being:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Bogosian-Redmond
Kulda-Stuart
(Postma)

Last edited by WJG: 01-07-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Crazed Fan

If having a D man to trade is as good as gold, i think its time to part with one of ours.
My vote is for Hainsey. I think we could get something substantial for him.

Fehr... i think its time to hang them up. Sad.
Unless of course some team would want him.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:16 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I think our defense is pretty much set with Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Hainsey, Oduya and Stuart. I'm also liking what I'm seeing from Jones. He's a much, much better option than Flood IMO.

We also have Kulda, Postma and Redmond waiting in the minors. Kulda has pretty much locked up Oduya's spot next year and Postma could battle Flood (if he re-signs) for the 7th defenseman's spot. The real gem here is Redmond. The guy is going to be a stud IMO.

In two years, I could see our pairings being:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Bogosian-Redmond
Kulda-Stuart
(Postma)
Disagree here. As good as Redmond's been in the AHL, I don't think he has the skillset to be much more than a #6 or #5 sort of guy. Best I figure we can hope for is a solid bottom pairing shut-down defenceman who plays significant PK minutes.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
If we are talking about trading the flavor of the week that hasn't played well, then we trade Stuart. He has moved between average and awful the past month.

Hainsey showed that the last couple games were sickness or something as he was back to good decisions, rushing the puck and solid passing.

Oduya has been one of our best this year, and glad to see some of you are coming around with jones. He was excellent last night.

It will depend where we are at the trade deadline a to who goes. If we aren't making the playoffs then oduya will be gone

Last edited by Jet: 01-08-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 11:35 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
If we are talking about trading the flavor of the week that hasn't played well, then we trade Stuart. He has moved between average and awful the past month.
Stuart is the only physical stay-at-home defenseman on a team that's otherwise loaded with offensive defensemen. Aside from leading the team in blocked shots, he's a leader physically and stands up for his teammates. He has little to no offensive upside and is our slowest defenseman, so yes, he is an average NHL defenseman but he's also the type of player that teams need, particularly in the playoffs. Don't forget he's also the cheapest of the Jets regular defensemen, signed at 1.7M for 2 more years after this year. Trading Stuart would be an awful move for the Jets.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
I see Stuart more as our 6/7 guy. He's better than a 7th D-man, but with his style of play, basically putting all of it on the line physically, he could definitely use some resting days.

It's just too bad the guy has no offensive tools whatsoever.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I wouldn't go anywhere near Penner if he can injure himself eating pancakes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...23.html?cmp=fb

01-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Stuart is the only physical stay-at-home defenseman on a team that's otherwise loaded with offensive defensemen. Aside from leading the team in blocked shots, he's a leader physically and stands up for his teammates. He has little to no offensive upside and is our slowest defenseman, so yes, he is an average NHL defenseman but he's also the type of player that teams need, particularly in the playoffs. Don't forget he's also the cheapest of the Jets regular defensemen, signed at 1.7M for 2 more years after this year. Trading Stuart would be an awful move for the Jets.
Sorry, I was misunderstood. I am not suggesting we move Stuart. It was more a commentary about how it's normal practice on these boards (not just HF Jets) to trade the guy who is struggling.

I don't want to trade Stuart. He has been pretty awful of late but I know he will bounce back. You are absolutely right about his physical play, toughness, and shot blocking.

I will tell you one thing. I would trade Stuart in a heartbeat before trading guys that seem to be the targets of particular posters here. It's much easier to get a Stuart than D of a higher pedigree.

Bottom line is we won't be picking up a defenceman, and will most likely not trade one if we are going to make the playoffs. The post season is murder on D and if you aren't deep there you are going to get knocked out pretty quick.

01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The Oilers have placed Gilbert Brule on re-entry waivers. He'll cost 925k and he's a UFA this summer.

We don't have space for him, I really like him as a player. Hopefully he can get his career back together.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Huffer

Quote:

Hainsey showed that the last couple games were sickness or something as he was back to good decisions, rushing the puck and solid passing.

Oduya has been one of our best this year, and glad to see some of you are coming around with jones. He was excellent last night.

It will depend where we are at the trade deadline a to who goes. If we aren't making the playoffs then oduya will be gone
I agree that Stuart hasn't looked good lately, but you are joking right? No other Defenseman on the roster brings what Stuart does. He hits, blocks shots, fights, etc. He is one of our unsung heroes on this roster, and a guy you need to have if you make the playoffs.

I also don't agree with your notion that Oduya has been one of our best. He was horrible at the beginning of the year, and has only had brief games where he has been at best, average. He is still soft in our own zone, and makes bad outlet passes. His best asset is his skating, and without that, would probably not be able to get the puck out of our zone.

I wouldn't mind Oduya around for a playoff run, but if we are not in it, I won't shed a tear if we can get something for him.

Edit, just saw your reply in post 110. Are you referring to trading Stuart over Enstrom? If that's the case, I don't think the two are analogous.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
devin1487

Quote:
The Oilers have placed Gilbert Brule on re-entry waivers. He'll cost 925k and he's a UFA this summer.

We don't have space for him, I really like him as a player. Hopefully he can get his career back together.
get one more vancouver giant on the team

Old
01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Conflicted Habs fan

Is there any truth to the rumour that Dale Hawerchuck is preparing for a comeback? And if Selanne returns also before the trade deadline, how would those two perform on the same line?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
I wouldn't go anywhere near Penner if he can injure himself eating pancakes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...23.html?cmp=fb
This is one of my favorite stories of the year

Old
01-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Is there any truth to the rumour that Dale Hawerchuck is preparing for a comeback? And if Selanne returns also before the trade deadline, how would those two perform on the same line?
LOL, where did you hear this rumour?

Sure, why not? Heck, they should aim higher -- I think Hawerchuk would look great centering a line with Selanne and Bobby Hull.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Probably better than Gomez.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
trebendan

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets pick up Brodie Dupont off of waivers from Nashville. He's a good sized bottom 6 forward. Then they can send down Cormier to the AHL for more seasoning.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:

I wish I had the code to unlock that guys potential.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree that Stuart hasn't looked good lately, but you are joking right? No other Defenseman on the roster brings what Stuart does. He hits, blocks shots, fights, etc. He is one of our unsung heroes on this roster, and a guy you need to have if you make the playoffs.

I also don't agree with your notion that Oduya has been one of our best. He was horrible at the beginning of the year, and has only had brief games where he has been at best, average. He is still soft in our own zone, and makes bad outlet passes. His best asset is his skating, and without that, would probably not be able to get the puck out of our zone.

I wouldn't mind Oduya around for a playoff run, but if we are not in it, I won't shed a tear if we can get something for him.

Edit, just saw your reply in post 110. Are you referring to trading Stuart over Enstrom? If that's the case, I don't think the two are analogous.
Sorry, I guess I should have used a sarcastic smiley. I was more poking fun at people who want to trade anyone who struggles a bit.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Probably better than Gomez.
Gomez= Big fat waste of money...

Oddly enough, that roughly translates into...

Gomez= Penner of money...

Old
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Ladd, Enstrom (or Hainsey) and pick for Yandle and Hanzal to the NHL Coyotes unless they are only looking for Francophone players now.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I should have used a sarcastic smiley. I was more poking fun at people who want to trade anyone who struggles a bit.
I understood you Brodysseus.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Disagree here. As good as Redmond's been in the AHL, I don't think he has the skillset to be much more than a #6 or #5 sort of guy. Best I figure we can hope for is a solid bottom pairing shut-down defenceman who plays significant PK minutes.
Have you watched him play in the AHL I haven't all i saw of him was in camp where I actually thought his skill set being skating,shooting,and puck handling were all above average I have not seen enough of him to judge, his stats in the AHL look really good but that doesn't always mean much.From what I saw he is either going to be a 3/4 d-man or not in the nhl at all definately not a shutdown d-man.

Last edited by Zhamnov10: 01-09-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Seeing as Penner isn't worth squat I actually wouldn't mind the team picking him up for just about nothing.

This team turns fatties into gems ala Byfuglien and Wellwood.

Closed Thread