HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The next Lindros?

Old
05-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Crashbangboom

vCash: 500
The next Lindros?

I know, we are probably never going to see a player with the size and skill that Eric Lindros had, but which prospect is the closest thing?

Crashbangboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

B to the arkov

Syan Ruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

It will take a long time before you see that perfect size, skating, nastiness and skill wrapped into one package again. A LONG time.

Closest thing we have at the moment is Nathan Mackinnon in my opinion, but he's still quite a ways off the dominance of Lindros.

I couldn't imagine its common knowledge how tough and strong Mackinnon actually is, he's a dominant physical player when he has to/ wants to be but the Mooseheads don't need him to play that game. Combined with his skating and skill he could be called a poor mans Lindros.

And to Barkov, I don't see it. He doesn't have nastiness/flash that Lindros had, he'll be a quiet playmaker who uses his size more to protect the puck than to dish punishment.

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan Ruter View Post
B to the arkov
N to the o. He doesn't use his size in the same way. All about puck protection instead of just dominating defenders by going through them and punishing them. His style is very effective, just doesn't compare to Lindros in the same way.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:49 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbangboom View Post
I know, we are probably never going to see a player with the size and skill that Eric Lindros had, but which prospect is the closest thing?
No one is even close. Remotely. No one is even close on the offensive end much less what he could do physically.

Just in his draft year alone he gathered 149 points in 57 games. Thats about 50% better than Stamkos, the best OHL guy in years.

After 4 years in the NHL he was top 5 all time in points per game, just about where Sidney Crosby is now.

Physically a beast. Think as good as Crosby offensively, with 5 inches and 30 more pounds tacked on. And a nastiness streak that makes Lucic look like Mother Theresa.

Generally we are seeing one player every ten years come out with that type of offensive skill. The only other one to break 6 feet was Lemieux, and he gave up 30 pounds and a ton of nastiness to Lindros.

There is no prospect in site that comes close to that description.

For all of Lindros's off ice issues and injuries, before those got the better of him he was probably the most dominant player I have seen not named Gretzky or Lemieux, and that includes Crosby.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
No one compares.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Tim Riggins could have been it, if he hadn't bailed on San Antonio State.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan English View Post
It will take a long time before you see that perfect size, skating, nastiness and skill wrapped into one package again. A LONG time.

Closest thing we have at the moment is Nathan Mackinnon in my opinion, but he's still quite a ways off the dominance of Lindros.

I couldn't imagine its common knowledge how tough and strong Mackinnon actually is, he's a dominant physical player when he has to/ wants to be but the Mooseheads don't need him to play that game. Combined with his skating and skill he could be called a poor mans Lindros.

And to Barkov, I don't see it. He doesn't have nastiness/flash that Lindros had, he'll be a quiet playmaker who uses his size more to protect the puck than to dish punishment.
Nathan MacKinnon really doesn't seem to project as that kind of player at all.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
wings5

No upcoming prospect even compares. Even as far as NHL players go when talking about players like Lemieux and Lindros no one is close. Malkin is arguably the closest big forward to Lemieux and its still not that close between the two.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Nathan MacKinnon really doesn't seem to project as that kind of player at all.
He doesn't project to be a mean guy, and I mentioned he doesn't always show it but when he wants to he can be a mean, snarly SOB to play against. I would like to see him play like that more often but obviously whatever team has his rights will want him to only use it to stand up for himself, for injury concerns.

I'm just trying to bring something slightly more constructive than what is obvious, which is "we won't see another Lindros".

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan English View Post
He doesn't project to be a mean guy, and I mentioned he doesn't always show it but when he wants to he can be a mean, snarly SOB to play against. I would like to see him play like that more often but obviously whatever team has his rights will want him to only use it to stand up for himself, for injury concerns.

I'm just trying to bring something slightly more constructive than what is obvious, which is "we won't see another Lindros".
I don't think it's constructive, just inaccurate. Lindros wasn't an average sized strong guy with great skills who had the ability to play a snarly game. MacKinnon is no more Lindros than Toews or Mike Richards or what have you.

The guy was basically Malkin x Lucic.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:38 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbangboom View Post
Lindros was such a unique type of player, that I doubt you'll ever find a player with his kind of skillset ever again. Set aside the fact that you'll likely never find a player with talent as high as his and the physical dominance as great as his and you still probably won't find a player with that sort of blend of skill and physical gifts. Lindros doesn't really often get the sort of talk he may likely deserve. Injuries probably have a lot to do with that, but he truly was a once in a lifetime kind of player.

His blend of skill and physical dominance was truly something special. He could beat you either with his pure talent, or just run your over and beat you with his physical strength. If you got into his way, he would put you throught the boards.

I think the closest comparable you'll see, maybe ever, is Ovechkin. He's got a similar (as close as you can get) blend of skill and physical strength. He's not as nasty, may or may not have as much latent talent, and may not have been as physically strong but he's got a similar blend of all those together.

He has the high end talent, with the better than average (and probably bordering on close to elite) strength, and has a nastyness and willingness to use his size.

As for upcoming prospects, since this is in the prospect thread, there isn't a player like that in this draft really. Nor in any other draft at this point in time.

The closest, and its a stretch at best, is Nichushkin.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
N to the o. He doesn't use his size in the same way. All about puck protection instead of just dominating defenders by going through them and punishing them. His style is very effective, just doesn't compare to Lindros in the same way.
Not bashing your opinion in any way, shape or form, but how many games have you seen Barkov play? Of all the up-and-comers, he's the closest one. He drives hard to the net and is not afraid at all to use his body, while still having an elite shot/hands/IQ etc. He even sustained an injury...

Old
05-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Not bashing your opinion in any way, shape or form, but how many games have you seen Barkov play? Of all the up-and-comers, he's the closest one. He drives hard to the net and is not afraid at all to use his body, while still having an elite shot/hands/IQ etc. He even sustained an injury...
Almost all of his WJC games and a little over 10 games online from this year. I'm not saying he doesn't do those things but it's not in the same way that Lindros did them. Lindros was way more physically imposing than Barkov is and it isn't a knock on him at all he just uses his body more often in a different way than Lindros did IMO.

And concussion or it doesn't count.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

not a prospect, but maybe Brent Burns if he stays at F.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

I thought this thread would be about refusing to report to the team that drafts you.

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:55 PM
wings5

It makes you appreciate just how special/unique Lindros was.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Norm MacDonald

The only player in recent years that's come anywhere close is Getzlaf. No current prospect compares to Big E.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Torts

I legitimately cant name anyone off the top of my head.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I believe Nichushkin is the closest thing in the draft, but that's not saying much since he's heads and feet below Lindros in both respects.

Outside of prospects, probably Ovechkin. May have the talent Lindros had, and isn't afraid to throw his weight around or look for the open ice hit. He would need to develop in both areas a bit to truly be comparable though.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't think it's constructive, just inaccurate. Lindros wasn't an average sized strong guy with great skills who had the ability to play a snarly game. MacKinnon is no more Lindros than Toews or Mike Richards or what have you.

The guy was basically Malkin x Lucic.
Pretttttttttyyyy much.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Almost all of his WJC games and a little over 10 games online from this year. I'm not saying he doesn't do those things but it's not in the same way that Lindros did them. Lindros was way more physically imposing than Barkov is and it isn't a knock on him at all he just uses his body more often in a different way than Lindros did IMO.

And concussion or it doesn't count.
Even though I've seen Lindros play, we can probably draw the conclusion that you've seen him more than me, so you have a point there.

Like some others said here, Nichuskin is also pretty close, but to me it seems that he doesn't really play the body like a powerforward, even though he is that big. He's got an elite shot, but doesn't drive to the net all the time. You're right, this is a toughy

Old
05-07-2013, 05:24 PM
ottawah

Quote:
This pretty much says it all.

Barkov, draft year, 8 PIMS in 53 games, 2 PIMs in 5 games.
Lindros draft year,, 189 PIMS in 57 games, 93 PIMS in 16 playoff games.

Granted the OHL is a rougher league, but this makes it very obvious that even as physical as Barkov may be, he does not use it as Lindros did. People may be scared about Barkov driving to the net, but people used to be scared of Lindros killing you while he was driving to the net.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Maybe in the next 20 years when Hockey keeps growing in non traditional markets in the USA. I don't see anyone in the next 3-4 years that's forsure.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
The only player in recent years that's come anywhere close is Getzlaf. No current prospect compares to Big E.
True, and Getzlaf is even close to Mats Sundin than Lindros.