HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey IX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I agree with your contention that Rusty did not deserve a suspension. I'm trying to figure out (and attempting to take my Nashville fan-ness out of it) what's up with the notion that the NHL has some sort of conspiracy.
Well, I'm just pissy. It's the playoffs. Just let them play. This is stupid.

Conspiracy, politics, marketing, whatever you want to label it. I'm not a fan of the word conspiracy. Perhaps control is a better word. Pulling strings. In this case, it is a decision that could change the outcome of the next game. If the NHL had stood by the decision made on ice, it would have been enough. There is no reason for additional action. To go forward with additional action is a game changer in a series that clearly is over but just happens to coincide with the return of Nashville's two naughty wayward boys. And they will make a difference. Not gonna deny it.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post

Conspiracy, politics, marketing, whatever you want to label it. I'm not a fan of the word conspiracy. Perhaps control is a better word. Pulling strings. In this case, it is a decision that could change the outcome of the next game. If the NHL had stood by the decision made on ice, it would have been enough. There is no reason for additional action. To go forward with additional action is a game changer in a series that clearly is over but just happens to coincide with the return of Nashville's two naughty wayward boys. And they will make a difference. Not gonna deny it.
Let them play until such time that a dangerous hit is leveled. If Rusty hadn't grabbed the dude by the back of his jersey and shoved him head first into the boards I would be agreeing with you. But the guy could've broken his neck. The onus is on Rusty to ride him bodily into the boards and not shove him the way he did. I have no doubt Rusty will think twice before doing something like this again and will go back to playing his (clean) game.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:18 PM
CapnCornelius

If there is a conspiracy involving the Coyotes-Predators series, I would think it would be an attempt by the league to get the team they own to the next round to decrease their losses.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
Let them play until such time that a dangerous hit is leveled. If Rusty hadn't grabbed the dude by the back of his jersey and shoved him head first into the boards I would be agreeing with you. But the guy could've broken his neck. The onus is on Rusty to ride him bodily into the boards and not shove him the way he did. I have no doubt Rusty will think twice before doing something like this again and will go back to playing his (clean) game.
I get what you're saying, Win, send a message for a stupid move, but let's not bring hypothetical endings to justify the action. No one broke their neck. We can't punish for what didn't happen.

This is the playoffs. If action is taken during the game, that should be the end of it, unless injury occurs. I don't like the NHL revisiting and making more out of a play than should be necessary, which could result in changing the series. The series winner should be determined by the results of the teams, not the officials. To maintain the integrity of the series, the league should stay out of it post incident.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I get what you're saying, Win, send a message for a stupid move, but let's not bring hypothetical endings to justify the action. No one broke their neck. We can't punish for what didn't happen.
I don't completely agree with his analysis of the events, but endangerment is a crime in a lot of circumstances - regardless of intent or actual injury. So, yes, we can punish without injury. And "we" have (the NHL).

Old
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
You should've stopped here.

Quote:
Because this is poor stuff.

1) Lots of stuff could change the outcome of the next game.
2) Don't see series as 'clearly over.'
3) Nashville's naughty boys were suspended by their own team for violating team rules. NHL had nothing to do with it.
4) What Cap'n said above.
5) Seems like a lot of 'Yotes fan-girl stuff in there. Blinders and whatnot.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:09 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Giroux gets a game off. Good.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
You should've stopped here.

Because this is poor stuff.

1) Lots of stuff could change the outcome of the next game.
2) Don't see series as 'clearly over.'
3) Nashville's naughty boys were suspended by their own team for violating team rules. NHL had nothing to do with it.
4) What Cap'n said above.
5) Seems like a lot of 'Yotes fan-girl stuff in there. Blinders and whatnot.
You know, I expect more than that from you. It's insulting and offensive. Thanks a lot. I've done nothing in this whole debate to be dismissed as a "Yotes fan-girl".

Old
05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
You know, I expect more than that from you. It's insulting and offensive. Thanks a lot. I've done nothing in this whole debate to be dismissed as a "Yotes fan-girl".
If you'd been a man or boy, I'd have called it fan-boy. Just trying to be gender-accurate.

That said, it was intended to be dismissive, not of you but of what you've posted in here. I disagree that you haven't done anything in this whole debate to warrant it. I expect better from you, too, you know.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 05-07-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

From Backhand Shelf via Puck Daddy,

Here's a link to an article by Ellen Etchingham regarding headshots, penalties, and supplemental discipline. It is centered around the Giroux hit, but makes some, for me, very interesting points on the game, the way it's played, and how it is officiated:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...rce=feedburner

Old
05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Giroux gets a game off. Good.
You called it... most of what I watched on TV or read in the media did not think he would get a suspension. I was with you, he hit a head with his shoulder and it was intended. The rule must be upheld for stars, non-previous offenders, playoffs or even in preseason if that's where hits to the head take place, if not then there is no rule-it's just a farce.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Strawman is playing as an ironman.... unreal.

Rangers/Caps tied 1-1 in the second.

It's an awesome playoff season, as I've said, I'm hoping for a LA/NYR cup... it would be epic. Actually a LA/NJ cup would be just as epic., if the Caps are in I doubt I'll care.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:59 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Awesome game/series.

Regarding Stralman, I know you like to point out former CBJ when they have success, but don't get carried away.

He was deep in the doghouse during parts of the 3OT game. He played something like 28 minutes while other defensemen played 40-50 minutes. If they weren't down to basically 4 defensemen for a long stretch and 5 for the game, he would have probably had a lot less. There was even a point after some typical Stralman-ness where the camera focused on him getting a large dose of anger from his assistant coach...

Old
05-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Awesome game/series.

Regarding Stralman, I know you like to point out former CBJ when they have success, but don't get carried away.
You mods all like to point that out about me... thing is, it's hard not too based on the frequency, it's almost like breathing.

It's impossible to be an intimate fan of 30 NHL teams but I'm close to the Sabres and notice their ex players as well-as in Briere, Biron, Drury and a few others; as hard as I try I can't come up with a list so easy to spot as from Columbus.

Oh, since you mentioned it, Sestito played last night for the Flyers.... (I would have ignored it but you inspired me)

Stralman is lucky to playing but he is and scored a goal for the Rangers in the 2012 playoffs, not bad.

Last edited by Robert: 05-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 12:11 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

It's an awesome playoff season, as I've said, I'm hoping for a LA/NYR cup... it would be epic. Actually a LA/NJ cup would be just as epic., if the Caps are in I doubt I'll care.
Dear Bob,

Here are Seven Reasons why you should NOT be rooting for LA or NY:

1) Jeff Carter
2) Jack Johnson
3) Ray Freakin Whitney
4) Rusty, Gilbert and Antwawn
5) Dave King
6) Your Man Daniel Briere
7) Your man and former unappreciated Ranger, Nicholai Zherdev

Loyalty man, loyalty.

Sincerely,

Jf

Old
05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Cya Nashville

hopefully thats the last time I see Weber and Suter in Nashville jerseys

Old
05-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Cya Nashville

hopefully thats the last time I see Weber and Suter in Nashville jerseys
I doubt it. Folks there are cynical about Suter, but not about Weber.

And I swear to G-d Almighty if Phoenix doesn't go all the way to the finals at least I WILL BLOW UP THE ****ING WORLD.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-08-2012, 01:16 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I doubt it. Folks there are cynical about Suter, but not about Weber.
Takes two to tango. I think Suter likes it in Nashville. Weber idk. I think if one goes, the other goes too, just like if one stays the other stays. No sources, just my opinion.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
You mods all like to point that out about me... thing is, it's hard not too based on the frequency, it's almost like breathing.

It's impossible to be an intimate fan of 30 NHL teams but I'm close to the Sabres and notice their ex players as well-as in Briere, Biron, Drury and a few others; as hard as I try I can't come up with a list so easy to spot as from Columbus.

Oh, since you mentioned it, Sestito played last night for the Flyers.... (I would have ignored it but you inspired me)

Stralman is lucky to playing but he is and scored a goal for the Rangers in the 2012 playoffs, not bad.
Bob, there are others that get pointed out as well. Bemoaning the success of former Jackets on playoff teams is a way of life for some. But I understand you can't be an intimate fan of everyone's posts.

I don't think I read Kris Russell's name once in this thread despite him having a good playoff. I'm trying to figure that one out.

Also... in every playoff series they've won, the 'Yotes have had a former Jacket player get suspended. Coincidence?

This Phoenix stuff is a great story, with all the stuff that's gone on there. I'd have been on their bandwagon earlier if they hadn't been playing a team I'm a tertiary fan of.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:02 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Im sure the NHL is foaming at the mouth over the potential Phoenix vs New Jersey Finals matchup.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
It would be kinda weird that if in the first year Winnepeg gets their Jets franchise, the Phoenix Coyotes win the freaking Cup.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Im sure the NHL is foaming at the mouth over the potential Phoenix vs New Jersey Finals matchup.
It is, however, my preferred matchup of the teams remaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It would be kinda weird that if in the first year Winnepeg gets their Jets franchise, the Phoenix Coyotes win the freaking Cup.
Good catch.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Having the Jets actually back should take the sting out of it considerably, but with that said, its been what, 16 years? Only Doan is left from that original move, right? No other front office, players or coaches are still there.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

On a side note, as I read Puck Daddy's mock "eulogy" for the Blues, I am more convinced than ever that Ken Hitchcock doesn't last as the coach very far into the 13-14 season.

Next year, the Blues will probably come back to earth and be a middling team, could still make the playoffs though, and the following season, Hitch will be out by Jan. 1st, 2014.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Having the Jets actually back should take the sting out of it considerably, but with that said, its been what, 16 years? Only Doan is left from that original move, right? No other front office, players or coaches are still there.
It was like throwing candy at a whining spoiled child who was throwing a fit. Rather than assuage the feelings of a country that claims hockey as its birthright, it simply brought out more braying jackasses who simply set their sights elsewhere on behalf of other "wronged" cities north of the border.

I know this isn't at all what you were getting at, but it needs to be said here as backup in case my similar sentiments on the main board get scrubbed (and they will).

Closed Thread