HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey IX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
wahsnairb

vCash: 500
SJ just put Nittymaki on waivers.. do we bite? especially trying to ship Mason?

Old
01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
650X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
SJ just put Nittymaki on waivers.. do we bite? especially trying to ship Mason?
Came here to post the same thing. Being UFA at the end of the year I doubt we do. Maybe though.

Lets not kid ourselves though Mason isnt going anywhere except the minors.

Put it this way. I think Nittymaki is more likely to be traded than Mason and he was just put on waivers.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:53 AM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Came here to post the same thing. Being UFA at the end of the year I doubt we do. Maybe though.

Lets not kid ourselves though Mason isnt going anywhere except the minors.

Put it this way. I think Nittymaki is more likely to be traded than Mason and he was just put on waivers.
he (Nitty) could be a solid placeholder until the offseason, when the jackets (hopefully) try to better address the putrid goaltending situation.. especially if Mason, OR SANFORD, is moved before the deadline.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
650X2

Then the question becomes do they want a solid placeholder?

Old
01-25-2012, 12:24 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
Then the question becomes do they want a solid placeholder?
behind our defense, does it matter?

Old
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
pelts35.com

Antero Niittymaki on waivers - interest?

With Dekanich possibly done for the season, does Howson claim Niittymaki off of waivers, possibly as a tryout for next season?

Old
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
With Dekanich possibly done for the season, does Howson claim Niittymaki off of waivers, possibly as a tryout for next season?
Unless there's a health concern I don't know about, I'd do this in a second.

I recall a rumor/story about a goaltender in the league who had been told not to play anymore and it was presumed Nittymaki was that guy on the San Jose boards, but no idea how true it is/was.

If he's ok to go, claim him, waive Mason and lets move on with our lives. Best case is that one of he or Sanford does well enough to stick around here and the CBJ add a stud young guy to go with all while Mason regains his form in the minors. However, if Mason is claimed, I won't lose sleep either.

I can't believe you can continue on with Mason/Sanford the rest of the year, especially given injuries to Dex and Legace. Do not want to see York in NHL again until he's even close to ready.

Old
01-25-2012, 12:54 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

God, do it. Claim Niittymaki, waive/find somebody willing to take on Mason, call it a day. As long as he's not damaged somehow, give him a shot with the possibility of a deal for next season.

Much like the Lebda signing, I guess my attitude at this point is "Why not?"

Old
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
If we start next season with Mason in net I will freak out and you'll find me in the corner of a rubber room, twitching.

We need somebody, it's worth a shot.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
JacketsFanWest

Why not?

For Mason, the best step for his career would be to accept being waived and playing in Springfield for the rest of the season (assuming another team doesn't nab him, which I highly doubt). Some team might take a chance on him at half price through recall waivers, so that means once he's down in Springfield, he can't come back up.

If Mason wants to be traded to another NHL team rather than bought out and end up playing in Europe, he needs to admit that his development was rushed and he needs playing time to prove that he can be an NHL goalie for another team.

The issue is paying Mason's full salary while he's in Springfield, but oh well, it's worth it to get rid of him.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:02 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Why not?

For Mason, the best step for his career would be to accept being waived and playing in Springfield for the rest of the season (assuming another team doesn't nab him, which I highly doubt). Some team might take a chance on him at half price through recall waivers, so that means once he's down in Springfield, he can't come back up.

If Mason wants to be traded to another NHL team rather than bought out and end up playing in Europe, he needs to admit that his development was rushed and he needs playing time to prove that he can be an NHL goalie for another team.

The issue is paying Mason's full salary while he's in Springfield, but oh well, it's worth it to get rid of him.
I do not believe that the bolded portion is correct. If believe that Mason would have to clear re-entry waivers if he was to be recalled. Case in point, Michael Leighton was put on waivers last season by the Flyers, played for the Phantoms and then played again for the Flyers that season.

That said, if Niittymaki is waived, my assumption is that Sanford would be sent down.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
I do not believe that the bolded portion is correct. If believe that Mason would have to clear re-entry waivers if he was to be recalled. Case in point, Michael Leighton was put on waivers last season by the Flyers, played for the Phantoms and then played again for the Flyers that season.
No, it's correct if the Jackets don't want to lose him for nothing and be stuck paying half of his contract. They're free to recall him, but he has to go through re-entry waivers. Odds are, he would never clear.

Unless there's no team that wouldn't want a half-priced Mason, they'd be really stupid to recall him. So, once he's in Springfield, he would stay there for the rest of the season (unless they can get around that with an emergency recall)

Old
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:

That said, if Niittymaki is waived, my assumption is that Sanford would be sent down.
That would not surprise me at all.

Old
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
No, it's correct if the Jackets don't want to lose him for nothing and be stuck paying half of his contract. They're free to recall him, but he has to go through re-entry waivers. Odds are, he would never clear.

Unless there's no team that wouldn't want a half-priced Mason, they'd be really stupid to recall him. So, once he's in Springfield, he would stay there for the rest of the season (unless they can get around that with an emergency recall)
Didn't I say that he'd have to clear re-entry waivers if recalled? You said he couldn't come back up and I said he could, but he'd have to clear re-entry waivers.

As for another team wanting a half-priced Mason, how many teams are going to pay the balance of $1.45 million this season and a full $1.45 million next season for a guy who had a very good rookie season 3 seasons ago and hasn't even come close to matching those stats since? I don't think the line of teams lining up would be all that long.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
If Mason is sent down for the balance of this season, are there any issues with having him on the team in 2012-13?

Old
01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Please claim

Old
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Didn't I say that he'd have to clear re-entry waivers if recalled? You said he couldn't come back up and I said he could, but he'd have to clear re-entry waivers.
I said "Some team might take a chance on him at half price through recall waivers, so that means once he's down in Springfield, he can't come back up."

Old
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
If Mason is sent down for the balance of this season, are there any issues with having him on the team in 2012-13?
He would have to be put back on re-entry waivers to join the Jackets next season.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
He would have to be put back on re-entry waivers to join the Jackets next season.
I don't believe this is correct. If he is brought up during the rest of this year, he's subject to re-entry. However, next year starts fresh and he would not be subject to re-entry to start the year.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:30 PM
EspenK

why would the Jackets want him?

Old
01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
BJFan1

Don't claim... #FailforNail

If we claimed him we'd somehow go on a godlike streak and play our way into 25th place and get screwed in the draft anyway.

I would rather sign a goaltender in the off-season. Plus, I believe Nittymaki has a $2mil price tag... I don't know they want to do that for cap space.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Unless there's a health concern I don't know about, I'd do this in a second.

I recall a rumor/story about a goaltender in the league who had been told not to play anymore and it was presumed Nittymaki was that guy on the San Jose boards, but no idea how true it is/was.

If he's ok to go, claim him, waive Mason and lets move on with our lives. Best case is that one of he or Sanford does well enough to stick around here and the CBJ add a stud young guy to go with all while Mason regains his form in the minors. However, if Mason is claimed, I won't lose sleep either.

I can't believe you can continue on with Mason/Sanford the rest of the year, especially given injuries to Dex and Legace. Do not want to see York in NHL again until he's even close to ready.
I don't have a strong opinion on this, but...

Niittymaki's hip was injured in 2006 while playing for Philadelphia. He probably should have had surgery, but played through it for most of the rest of the season. It has never been right ever since then.

Since then he has been able to play in: 28, 32, 49, 24 and now 0 (5 in AHL) games per season.

He plays about as many games per season as Leclaire and I doubt he will ever be healthy. When he's healty, he's a decent goalie he just isn't healthy much of the time.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
EspenK

In 234 career NHL games with the Flyers, Lightning and Sharks, Nittymaki has posted a 95-86-31 record with a 2.95 goals-against average and a .902 save percentage.

Nittymaki is in the final year of a two-year contract worth an annual average of $2 million. The Sharks assigned him to Worcester (AHL) in January on a conditioning stint.

And we would claim him thinking he was our goalie savior? Are you people on drugs? or at least so desperate you are not thinking straight? which I can understand.

Old
01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Claim him and move him at the deadline for an asset. A 5th rounder is better than nothing

Old
01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I don't believe this is correct. If he is brought up during the rest of this year, he's subject to re-entry. However, next year starts fresh and he would not be subject to re-entry to start the year.
What ever the case, he's going to be bought out after this season anyway.

Closed Thread