HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Any chance Jets will start next season in Europe?

Old
01-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Mirinho

vCash: 500
Any chance Jets will start next season in Europe?

it would be awesome if it will happen ... what do you guys think? is it possible next season?

hopefully Prague will try to acquire them

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Personally i hope not

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

Not yet.

I don't think Winnipeg is a household city name overseas. The NHL seems to like sending the LA's and the New York's out that way.

I definitely wouldn't want to give up any home games either. Both selfishly as a ticket holder and for the home ice advantage - the 2 points the Jets will get here.

Edit: Just looked up that Buffalo and Anaheim went overseas too this year, but I think that had more to do with sending Koivu and Teemu to Helsinki.

Becel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

They should start in Atlanta so that the Thrashers fans can say goodbye... or they should have done this at the start of this year.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
They should start in Atlanta so that the Thrashers fans can say goodbye... or they should have done this at the start of this year.
I think the NHL should at least schedule a preseason game or two in Atlanta next year.

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post
I think the NHL should at least schedule a preseason game or two in Atlanta next year.
Because we really like it when the NHL would throw us a bone with a preseason game here...

Actually, maybe we did. I never went because I thought it was semi-insulting. They always gave us Phoenix too, and I'd rather watch a good team play their minor league players...

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
I think that'd be awesome, but it won't happen anytime soon imo.

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
BlueCalgary63

If you check on ticketmaster you can see there is already a preseason game scheduled in Saskatoon vs. the Bruins

BlueCalgary63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:05 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Because we really like it when the NHL would throw us a bone with a preseason game here...

Actually, maybe we did. I never went because I thought it was semi-insulting. They always gave us Phoenix too, and I'd rather watch a good team play their minor league players...
I saw Chicago vs Tampa Bay here in the preseason last year and I thought it was an awesome game. The crowd was really in to it and that got the players going. It was a chippy game and Boynton even got a game misconduct.

I don't think people should be insulted by the NHL having a preseason game somewhere. It's a clue that the NHL actually cares about that market and wants to either grow the game there or test the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCalgary63 View Post
If you check on ticketmaster you can see there is already a preseason game scheduled in Saskatoon vs. the Bruins
I saw that a few weeks ago and I was really surprised they had it up so early. I guess they want to cash in now during the excitement, hoping that people in Saskatoon are talking about the Jets. Over the summer it's probably a lot harder to sell tickets to a preseason game when hockey isn't on the mind and people have their entertainment dollars tied up elsewhere.

Back on topic... I don't see the Jets playing in Europe next year. Winnipeg doesn't have the draw of a big city (ex New York, LA) nor does it currently have superstars that anyone would have heard of over there.

Last edited by vBurmi: 01-04-2012 at 05:10 PM.
vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I saw Chicago vs Tampa Bay here in the preseason last year and I thought it was an awesome game. The crowd was really in to it and that got the players going. It was a chippy game and Boynton even got a game misconduct.

I don't think people should be insulted by the NHL having a preseason game somewhere. It's a clue that the NHL actually cares about that market and wants to either grow the game there or test the market.
I guess I shouldn't be so bitter. I mean, we've got our team back now and everything turned out good. It's just that at the time I was always mad that they'd bring back the Coyotes, as if that was the team Winnipeg fans really wanted to see. Chicago was a good bet because of the Winnipeg contingent, and I think if we were to be shown in Europe there's a good chance it'd be somewhere like Sweden because of Enstrom and Oduya. We'd probably have Klingberg in the lineup too.

Old
01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCalgary63 View Post
Makes sense a 15K+ arena in Stoon that will sellout, probably would sell out (12K) in Grand Forks ND (Mark Chipmans school)

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

I hope not. Save that novelty stuff for the other teams.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
I hope not.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Historically, I believe teams that started the year in Europe either had a very good season or a very bad season.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
I hope not. Save that novelty stuff for the other teams.
this

We just got a team back. Why are we so anxious to give home games away already?

I as a STH am not interested in sharing our team with other cities quite yet.

Besides, the Jets have already done the training camp/pre-season games in Europe thing back in the '70's. Been there, done that. The novelty has wore off over 30 years ago for me.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.
AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:30 PM
sting13

I don't think Canadian teams go to Europe, at least not in awhile.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Historically, I believe teams that started the year in Europe either had a very good season or a very bad season.
ummm... okay. I guess none of them had mediocre seasons is what you're getting at.

I too resented the fact that we were propping up Phoenix with paying customers whenever they'd play a pre-season game here. Still I sucked it up and went to one or two usually to cheer the opposing team (I think I passed on the Maple Leafs game if there was one)

However, nothing wrong with having exhibition matches outside the city. Obviously stick close to the region for a while, ND and Sask maybe even parts of Western Ontario, but eventually, yeah if theres interest Europe would be cool. Winnipeg teams have historically employed European players (and the original Jets team kickstarted the whole thing) And I'm sure there are Winnipeg/Jets supporters out there who it would be great for the team to play in front of.

So in conclusion.. I dunno.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:35 PM
gholas

hope not for us

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
It'd be epic if they played the Flames out there for an exhibition game

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:42 PM
gholas

I think it would be more EPIC if they played them on Mars

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
The exhibition games in Europe tend to often go to teams that need help with home gates; they receive financial guarantees from the Euro games that usually exceed anything they'd get from a home exhibition date. Using that as guide, I think it doubtful that you'll see the Jets in Europe anytime soon. Never say never though.

Same goes for games in Atlanta or any other neutral site North American venue. The Jets are sold out at the gate years forward; local demand trumps anything else.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:32 AM
The Fat Kid
1999-2011

Quote:
ASG still owns the arena so i believe a lot of the die-hards would not be attending. i know i'll never give those ****** any of my money again.

The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:57 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Don't feel like losing a home game to go play in Europe. Not sure why it'd be awesome....

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Don't feel like losing a home game to go play in Europe. Not sure why it'd be awesome....
They'd all be able to eat supper at Tobias Enstrom's house.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:43 PM
KingSalamon

I don't think it will happen for a long while... True North needs all the revenue they can get with the limited seating in the arena. Why give up that money?

I do wonder though... will we see a Europe Conference in the next decade or two? Almost seems like the NHL wants to go that route with expansion etc and the annual games being played there.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote