HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players who played their worst hockey during the WJC

Old
01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Players who played their worst hockey during the WJC

I did a thread about the players who were star players during the WJC and whose senior careers fizzled after the World Juniors.

This time, it's about those players who played horribly at the World Juniors and later went on to stardom in pro hockey, be it European major leagues (Elitserien, RSL/KHL, SM-liiga, Czech/Slovak leagues, Swiss Serie A or DEL) or the NHL.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Big Phil

I know Fleury had an amazing tournament in 2003, but he fell flat in 2004. Not just the game winning goal in the Gold medal but even throughout that tournament he didn't seem to fit in that tournament for some reason.

I wouldn't say Pascal Leclaire played very well either in the 2002 tournament

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
popo

Vincent Lecavalier?
Although he was only 17 when he played.

The Sedin's? Can't recall their stats, but their team never won anything for their three years worth of participation if I remember correctly.
*EDIT* - I retract this after looking up their stats, which were respectible. Looks like only Henrik was there for three years. Daniel I only saw stats for two years.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo View Post
Vincent Lecavalier?
Although he was only 17 when he played.

The Sedin's? Can't recall their stats, but their team never won anything for their three years worth of participation if I remember correctly.
*EDIT* - I retract this after looking up their stats, which were respectible. Looks like only Henrik was there for three years. Daniel I only saw stats for two years.
Yeah, Lecavalier had a goal and an assist in his only trip to the WJC. We expected more though from a guy who was the #1 overall pick and supposed to be the best prospect to come along in years. Jonathan Toews was definitely not as highly touted in 2006, but he had a similar stat sheet in his draft year.

The Sedins did alright from a stats perspective, but they suffered some disastrous losses in their last two trips. In 1999 they lost 6-1 to Canada in the semis in a game where a lot of people thought they would dominate. Then in 2000 with the tournament actually in Sweden they lost 5-1 in a quarterfinal match to the States.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote