HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you view the winter classic as a special game, or just a regular season game?

View Poll Results: Is the WC just as important, or more important then a regular game?
Much more important 23 33.33%
A little more important 37 53.62%
Just as important 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Do you view the winter classic as a special game, or just a regular season game?

Personally, I think winning the winter classic is a lot more meaningful then a regular season game. At the end of the day, it's 2 points in the standings, but with all the media surrounding it, I think it becomes a much more meaningful game, even if it is a stupid gimmick.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:40 AM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
When 45, 000 people are watching you play a hockey game, it's not just a game. The points are the same, but the emotions are not.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

It is a much more meaningful game. Especially going this year made it that much better. I can't even I aging what the players felt.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I hated it.

Love 24/7 and I love the fact we won, but I don't like that 2 points are decided upon in such fluky conditions, personally.

But the players loved it, so it's probably more important.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I hated it.

Love 24/7 and I love the fact we won, but I don't like that 2 points are decided upon in such fluky conditions, personally.

Yeah, I didn't like the fact that they made calls at the end to increase the probability of the game going into OT (that makes the whole thing feel really gimmicky, but despite all the BS it's still a more important game IMO.

And I think having the winter classic count as a regular game in the standings is mandatory. You can't have the game not count, otherwise it turns into a joke like the all star game. If I were coaching the game I would not be having my players playing hard and blocking shots if the game doesn't count.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:33 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
I consider the Winter Classic a very special event and a great honor to have your team involved in. With that said I'm very wary of officiating in the future based on what happened in the third period. It's obvious that having an exciting nationally televised event is above calling a game fairly in terms of priority for the league. Buyer beware for teams who are offered the opportunity to play in the classic.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I consider the Winter Classic a very special event and a great honor to have your team involved in. With that said I'm very wary of officiating in the future based on what happened in the third period. It's obvious that having an exciting nationally televised event is above calling a game fairly in terms of priority for the league. Buyer beware for teams who are offered the opportunity to play in the classic.
Actually if you think about it, because of the retarded point system the NHL uses, if the refs are going to try to help the game go into OT it's actually beneficial to the teams involved.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Actually if you think about it, because of the retarded point system the NHL uses, if the refs are going to try to help the game go into OT it's actually beneficial to the teams involved.
Not if they are in the same division. getting 2 pts over a division foe is much better than just 1

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:25 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I hated it.

I didn't hate it--but I agree that it's just two points on the line all in all.

24/7 has been great but again back to the actual game--having to skate into the wind for two periods, one period at your back, the ice being repaired quite often is a negative as far as I'm concerned.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:20 AM
jmb9191

i hated it but loved it.

i hated that it was such a spectacle but only worth 2 points, but at the same time......i absolutely loved the way that it felt winning the game. it felt like a bigger victory than just the 2 points. it was incredible to win that game...at least i had that feeling. was really great.

i'd make the all star game the winter classic. bring it to cities across america (obviously cold sorry florida and cali and dallas too) and have the stars play. have the skills competition outside and the game and maybe an all star alumni game bring back all time greats. thats what i'd do, because it is just a game, and your big spectacle should not be just a regular season game....and i dont think ice would hold up in june.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:23 AM
3Four3

I liked it. I hope NYC gets to host. Either play against Boston or Montreal.

The only thing I don't like are the people in the General Hockey Board assuming this was our 2nd WC game.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:00 AM
GloveSave35

I think its awesome. Got my girlfriend and I tickets for Christmas. Just got back from Philly on Tuesday. It was amazing... can't even describe the scene there.

Is this as important as a playoff game? Of course not. But to me, it's like the spectacle and pomp of the all star game... but wrapped around a game that actually DOES matter and actually DOES count in the standings.

Loved being there and will love it even more when the Rangers host and we don't have to deal with Flyer fans.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
We lose, it's just another game at an away team's baseball stadium. We win, important morale boost etc etc

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Giacomin

As someone who is just thawing out from the game it was a great experience. It remind me of going to the 2000 World Series at Shea Stadium. I had only positive experience with the Philly fans and it is something I will remember for a long time. I took my teenage daughter to the game and spending quality time with your children makes it extra special.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
rambler725

I think it is important in that this game will always be remembered...it will be shown countless times over the years on nhl network etc every year around winter classic time...People will always remember the Rangers defeated their bitter rivals in the 2012 classic....good for the long term image of the franchise

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It helps the franchise's image. It's probably the most watched regular season hockey game all year. Although at the end of the day, it's worth 2 points in the standings. That's why I voted for the 2nd choice.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:15 AM
skroob**

I was stressed watching it more than the 'average' game, however, its hard to filter out if it was because of the WC or because it was against a hated team that we are battling against for the #1 seed.

I might have felt differently had we been playing against, say, Tampa or something.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
The Beezer

I personally don't care for it. Hockey is exciting enough that it shouldn't need gimmicks like this to draw fans. They can still create a marquee match up for New Years and let HBO cover it. The only difference would be that the game would be played inside.

If they really are hell bent about doing an outside game, then consider doing it with the all star game/weekend. No points at stake, so if the ice/conditions stink there is no big deal.

EDIT: I realized that I didn't address the real question and got on a rant.
As far as that goes, I look at it as just another game.

Last edited by The Beezer: 01-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
English Ranger

It was strange watching it as an English fan.

The build up and significance attached to it was more like the run up to, say, the FA Cup Final in soccer.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
tjs252

I think, as a fan, it's a little more than just another game. I was certainly cheering for it like a playoff game.

As a team morale boost, bellwether, etc., it may not be that overrated, look at the winners:

2008 Pittsburgh - 2 seed in the East, won the Conference
2009 Detroit - 2 seed in West, won the Conference
2010 Boston - 6 seed in East, lost in Conference-semi's
2011 Washington - 1 seed in East, lost in Conference-semi's

So there is some tangible impact (although, there really isn't a huge pool of winners to draw from).

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I'm not sure how anyone could dislike the Winter Classic, for any reason. It's just such an awesome event that gets real coverage and even non hockey fans tune in. I think it may be the greatest thing Bettman has ever done for the league in his whole time here as far as promoting the sport and giving fans something exciting and different.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

It's the NHL's premiere event. Certainly more important than the All Star Game and its ratings rival that of the Stanley Cup Finals.

At the end of the day, it's obviously just another regular season game, but because of what it is (an rare outdoor hockey game with a ton of media coverage), it's more important.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
I spent all week before the classic convincing myself that it was just another 2 point game in case we lost. But after the win it was pretty obvious that it meant a lot more.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

It's both. It's an exciting event where players get to play on the big stage and get that valuable experince. I think being on this grand stage, and more importantly WINNING through adversity on it will only help the team.

But let's be reality here. At the end of the day, no hardware is handed out. No names are engraved. It's 2 points.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
It's the NHL's premiere event. Certainly more important than the All Star Game and its ratings rival that of the Stanley Cup Finals.

At the end of the day, it's obviously just another regular season game, but because of what it is (an rare outdoor hockey game with a ton of media coverage), it's more important.
They should consider replacing the AS game with another outdoor game, maybe one only in Canada to ensure brutal cold weather like the first outdoor game with the Habs, now that looked COLD!

I have never liked the AS game in any sport except for Baseball since it does have some meaning on the season. Unless you are in the city it is happening in no one even cares, to me a useless event where good players risk injury for nothing ala Richter.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote