Winnipeg Jets at Toronto Maple Leafs - 05/01/12

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
GoLeafsGo96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Oh so there is a list of rules somewhere we didn't receive. Must have got lost in the haste of the relocation.
It's not a rule. It's just been traditional between the teams in the league to boo rivals, and players that have left or done something to their team unwarranted.

Last edited by Guerzy: 01-05-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Leave the personal shots out of it.
Old
01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Punkeater

Hey guys! Leafs board says Mason is starting and on this game thread Pavelec is starting.... Anyone knows who's the official starter tonight???

Old
01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
I wasn't going to get into individual players, but Phaneuf is not well liked.
For what reason?

Old
01-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Are you kidding me? Everyone should hate Phaneuf? Why.

He isn't a dirty player by any means. He's one of the hardest hitters in the league, but the difference with his hits are that they are CLEAN.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In the last Jets game ALONE he had two very dirty hits, BTW.

I have only booed 3 times, BTW. One was Pronger since I was living in EDM when he demanded to be traded, after I got caught up in the Oil excitement of 06. So that's why. The other was Stamkos after he took that blatant dive. The last one was Phaneuf.

I did chant "DREEEEEWWWW" at the Kings game, so my voice might have sounded like a boo (no seriously, I was trying to convince my whole section to cheer since he was a Team Canada hero. Didn't work though).

Old
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
KBADCJET

For all the Laff crybaby fans!

http://youtu.be/jiZ-hpXzFq0

Last edited by KBADCJET: 01-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old
01-05-2012, 03:16 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
For what reason?
Are you seriously unaware? It's a personality thing. I don't like or dislike him. Not everyone who plays professional hockey is an awesome dude. Feel free to peruse these boards for Evander Kane.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
EndlessCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
well its probably better to be hated for being passionate fans than to be pitied for not having a team which had been the case before this season. To be truly passionate and loud fans means we are going to offend some people and for that I (we) plead guilty........most of it is really just good clean fun but I don't mind the rivalry and I do get when people throw some back our way......we had it coming to us last night from the fans in Montreal and if the Leafs lay a beating on us tonight we deserve it from the fans as well but getting that group of Bay Street suits in the golds at the ACC to chant anything other than "do I have a hot stock for you" might be tough
Well said. My posts in this thread do not give this impression but this is how I feel.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
It's not a rule. It's just been traditional between the teams in the league to boo rivals, and players that have left or done something to their team unwarranted.
This is definitely a tradition I have never heard of in the 30+ years I have been watching NHL hockey. You sure it doesn't exist only in your head?

Old
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Exactly. Also, it has indeed effected some players who have come to the MTS this season. For some, it ends up throwing them off their game, something else in the game may happen that also mounts the frustration, next thing you know they're coughing up the puck, their head isn't where it needs to be, etc.

All in all, it's all in good fun. But, it does add to the atmosphere of the building to the Jets advantage. Opposing Coaches and players have said as much.
Eh, I don't know if it effects opposing players much at all; these guys are all pros and a rowdy crowd is the least of their worries when the bodies and sticks start to fly.

The important part is that the crowd is having fun, making the whole thing an interactive experience, and keeping those seats filled for years to come.

Old
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkeater View Post
Hey guys! Leafs board says Mason is starting and on this game thread Pavelec is starting.... Anyone knows who's the official starter tonight???
I have not got any official word. Left Wing Lock is reporting Mason. They are usually pretty good. I always leave it as Pavelec starting until I get confirmation.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. In the last Jets game ALONE he had two very dirty hits, BTW.

I have only booed 3 times, BTW. One was Pronger since I was living in EDM when he demanded to be traded, after I got caught up in the Oil excitement of 06. So that's why. The other was Stamkos after he took that blatant dive. The last one was Phaneuf.

I did chant "DREEEEEWWWW" at the Kings game, so my voice might have sounded like a boo (no seriously, I was trying to convince my whole section to cheer since he was a Team Canada hero. Didn't work though).
Fair enough.

And see, The times you say you've booed are warranted. Those are the types of hassling that adds to rivalries.

Booing Kessel and Reimer though especially, just made Leafs fans including myself kinda go "WTF?" Kessel has been booed before, mostly in Boston, and we completely understand why he's booed and hassled in Boston.

Most of us just don't understand why you have to boo players with no background with your team. Especially Reimer, who was so jacked up to play infront of his hometown crowed. Not saying you have to cheer him, but just looks weird ahaha.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
Eh, I don't know if it effects opposing players much at all; these guys are all pros and a rowdy crowd is the least of their worries when the bodies and sticks start to fly.

The important part is that the crowd is having fun, making the whole thing an interactive experience, and keeping those seats filled for years to come.
It does have an effect. Not always, but it does. The fact the Doughty asked why he was being booed demonstrates this. It's not a large factor, but at times it can be.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:22 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessCycle View Post
I'm primarily a Leafs & Sabres fan. I was really excited for Winnipeg getting a new team this year and have been following your team just because it's been such great feel good story. The game on Nov 8 (BUF) was really fun for me to watch.

I vowed to stop following Jets after Dec 31. The "Leafs suck" chant, Kessel and Phaneuf boos just turned me off. I don't hate the Jets, just don't care about them any longer. They've pretty much returned back to being the Thrashers for me.

Gotta admit, I really enjoyed Bell Centre playing L'Orielle 7 times yesterday. And I'll be cheering for Leafs tonight and Sabres on Sat. It'd be interesting to see Jets lose 3 in a row.
Waaahhhh...Boo Hoo, sorry we lost you - guess we are not so "feel good" if we are close to the Leafs in the standings!?!?

You are probably not old enough, but there is plenty of history. When we were trying to get in the NHL in the 70's, the Leafs fought tooth and nail to keep us out.

Yep, I hate the Leafs - not their fans - I hate the Leafs organization with a passion. What a 2-bit operation they run, they are lucky to have blind faithful running around supporting them.

BTW, your two teams that you love so much...same number of Cups as Winnipeg in my lifetime.

I agree, that was kinda neat to see the good folks of Montreal have something to cheer about last night, that is a disaster also

Old
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Fair enough.

And see, The times you say you've booed are warranted. Those are the types of hassling that adds to rivalries.

Booing Kessel and Reimer though especially, just made Leafs fans including myself kinda go "WTF?" Kessel has been booed before, mostly in Boston, and we completely understand why he's booed and hassled in Boston.

Most of us just don't understand why you have to boo players with no background with your team. Especially Reimer, who was so jacked up to play infront of his hometown crowed. Not saying you have to cheer him, but just looks weird ahaha.
What I don't understand is why it matters at all to you.

Old
Punkeater

Quote:
I have not got any official word. Left Wing Lock is reporting Mason. They are usually pretty good. I always leave it as Pavelec starting until I get confirmation.

Allright We'll see tonight! Thanks for taking the time to answer! Go Jets Go!

Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
EndlessCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post

I disagree for Reimer. The guy's been on a tough break ever since his injuries and his entire family was watching at that game. He's at an all-time low in confidence and last thing he needs were boos from his home province.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
This is definitely a tradition I have never heard of in the 30+ years I have been watching NHL hockey. You sure it doesn't exist only in your head?
Kessel in Boston
Alfy in Toronto
Sundin in Ottawa
Sundin in Montreal
Kessel in Ottawa (now)
Phaneuf in Ottawa

Chara in Montreal

+ more.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:24 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessCycle View Post
I disagree for Reimer. The guy's been on a tough break ever since his injuries and his entire family was watching. He's at an all time low in confidence and he last thing he needed was boos from his home province.
Well, that seems like a great time to boo. He doesn't play on our team. I am not sure you are being serious. These aren't peewee players.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
What I don't understand is why it matters at all to you.
We just want to know why. You're the only fan base that boo's other players without warranty of such things. It wasn't effective on Kessel (scoring) or Phaneuf (two points).

Old
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Kessel in Boston
Alfy in Toronto
Sundin in Ottawa
Sundin in Montreal
Kessel in Ottawa (now)
Phaneuf in Ottawa

Chara in Montreal

+ more.
Umm what? Where is the part where you aren't allowed to boo anyone else?

Old
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Fair enough.

Chanting a goalie's name is a time honoured tradition. I have no been to many games at all in ANY city where there was a not few times the crowd chanted the other teams goalie's name at least once. People think it will get the goalie off his game. Same reason people bang on the glass behind the opposing goalie. Again it's not personal.

Also, not gonna lie the amount of Leafs jerseys in the crowd and the amount of alcohol being consumed since it was NYE had the crowd really riled up, which probably played a large part in many boos, etc. Never before seen opposing teams fans try to get their own chant going. Usually we would just our Go Jets Go chant going louder, but still people were not impressed.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Umm what? Where is the part where you aren't allowed to boo anyone else?
I'm just saying. You don't see other fanbases booing anybody without warranty. Your fanbase is the only one that does it. That's why it bothered so many Leafs fans.

What's so hard to grasp about that?

Old
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Fair enough.

15 years on death row with no conjugal visits can lead to a bit of exuberance when you get the pardon GoLeafsGo......The Jets fans chant every goalies name and usually have nothing against them it’s just what you do when you have some catching up to do and are having fun. Honestly in all but a few cases (see Holden’s post) it has been nothing personal it’s just good clean game day fun….trust me at in inter squad game we would probably be heckling our own goalies cause we are that jacked up.

the honeymoon was bound to wear off but we are equal opprotunity boo birds if that makes you feel better

Old
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Chanting a goalie's name is a time honoured tradition. I have no been to many games at all in ANY city where there was a not few times the crowd chanted the other teams goalie's name at least once. People think it will get the goalie off his game. Same reason people bang on the glass behind the opposing goalie. Again it's not personal.

Also, not gonna lie the amount of Leafs jerseys in the crowd and the amount of alcohol being consumed since it was NYE had the crowd really riled up, which probably played a large part in many boos, etc. Never before seen opposing teams fans try to get their own chant going. Usually we would just our Go Jets Go chant going louder, but still people were not impressed.
I'll give you the goalie one. Definitely.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:29 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:

We boo because we want to. I couldn't care less if people get hurt vicariously through their most favouritest players.

Closed Thread