HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

January Stretch for the Blues

Old
01-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Spektre

vCash: 50
January Stretch for the Blues

Top 8 in the West as of now:

Chicago 52pts
Vancouver 51 pts
L.A. 45 pts
Detroit 51 pts
Blues 49 pts
Minnesota 48 pts
Nashville 46 pts
Colorodo 45 pts

January is the month that the Blues have to rack up the points. They have 11 games total in Jan with 9 of the 11 at home. They're off to the right start with a win over phoenix so they have 10 games left with 8 at home. Of course you want to win them all but they need to come out of January with getting somewhere around 17 or more points.

I think it's extremely important to come out of January with a cushion of points between us and most of the West. The chief reason is the month of March is going to be rough. In March the Blues play 15 games in 31 days. That's not a typo. Out of those 15 games they only have 5 home games. One positive is of those 15 games only 6 are against teams that currently sit in a playoff spot. But 10 road games is still a challenge.

They started Jan the right way last night. They just have to keep on racking up the points.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:27 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Blues are on pace for >100 point season. That's kind of nice to see.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Blues are on pace for >100 point season. That's kind of nice to see.
It is, but it also completely necessary when you consider that Chicago had 97 points just to get the 8th seed last year!

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

In my mind, I've been using 100 points as the goal for the team to ensure a playoff spot. I think they're shooting a little higher than that right now, but still....its nice to see the pace they're on.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Mike Liut

Once healthy, this team will steal lots of road games in Feb and March.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:58 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut;41897385[B
]Once healthy[/B], this team will steal lots of road games in Feb and March.
thats the key! lets hope we don`t lose too much ground against these teams while Steener, Amac and co are back

its still a looong way to playoffland...

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
In my mind, I've been using 100 points as the goal for the team to ensure a playoff spot. I think they're shooting a little higher than that right now, but still....its nice to see the pace they're on.
100 points is +18 in terms of wins vs. regulation losses. No team with +15 or above has ever missed and I see no reason that would start this year. Only once would +14 have missed and twice +13 missed out of six seasons post-lockout when all the bonus points began inflating the requirements.

Blues are 22-12-something so sitting at +10 with less than half the season played. Unless they hit a serious regulation losing streak they should be coasting in fine to that 4-6 spot.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:59 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm still rooting against 3 point games in the West. Every time two western teams go into OT, I cringe a little.

Old
01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Spektre

Three point games for anyone is a dumb idea. The NHL turned into modern little league baseball. Everyone gets a trophy. The idea that you reward a team for losing is beyond absurd.

Old
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Three point games for anyone is a dumb idea. The NHL turned into modern little league baseball. Everyone gets a trophy. The idea that you reward a team for losing is beyond absurd.
I don't mind the one point for getting to OT. What I don't like is that winning in regulation is valued the same as winning a shoot-out. There should be 3 points available for every game. Winning in regulation is getting a tiny nod in the tie-breaker criteria, but it should be a 3 point win.

Old
01-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
I don't mind the one point for getting to OT. What I don't like is that winning in regulation is valued the same as winning a shoot-out. There should be 3 points available for every game. Winning in regulation is getting a tiny nod in the tie-breaker criteria, but it should be a 3 point win.

3 points for regulation win
2 points for OT or shootout win
1 point for OT or shootout loss

That's not bad 2MM

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
EOM

Quote:
I would agree except with one detail - 3 points for a regulation or overtime win. You don't get anything for an OT loss in the playoffs, you shouldn't get a point in the regular season. If the game goes to a shootout, 2 points for the winning team, 1 for the losing.

I would also advocate adding five minutes to OT, whether it's 4v4 or 3v3 I don't care. I'd like ten minutes total OT and less shootouts.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
I would agree except with one detail - 3 points for a regulation or overtime win. You don't get anything for an OT loss in the playoffs, you shouldn't get a point in the regular season. If the game goes to a shootout, 2 points for the winning team, 1 for the losing.

I would also advocate adding five minutes to OT, whether it's 4v4 or 3v3 I don't care. I'd like ten minutes total OT and less shootouts.
I'd like 5 min. overtime and NO shootouts! Ties are no problem.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Sports Club Stats is giving the Blues a 97.7% chance to make the playoffs right now.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W...l/StLouis.html

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'd like 5 min. overtime and NO shootouts! Ties are no problem.
Here! Here!

Shootouts are and always have been a horrible idea. I'm amazed there hasn't been a goalie hurt yet doing shootouts. At least I don't know of any.

It's ridiculous to play a game for all of regulation and OT and then literally play a different game (shootout) to determine who wins or losses the original game.

It would be like MLB playing 9 innings and two teams are tied 2-2. They play one extra inning, the 10th, and it's still tied 2-2. Well, time to quit playing baseball. Let's have a home run hitting contest. Each player gets one swing. You get 3 players like the shootout. Whoever losses the home run contest still gets 1/2 win.

Or, the NFL could have field goal kicking contests for OT.

The shootout is absurd, end of story.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Chicago Blues

I don't like shootouts but not a fan of ties either. Having 8-14 (estimating) games end without a conclusion sucked.

I've always liked the way soccer does it. A 5 min overtime, break, then one more 5 min OT. Adding 5 min. shouldn't add too much wear and tear on the players, even 3 min. (for the 2nd OT) could be worthwhile. After that, call it a night. Ties happen, they suck, but they occur.

Shootouts are just so random and having nothing to do with the game itself. It's like settling a basketball game with pop a shot.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:29 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Here! Here!

Shootouts are and always have been a horrible idea. I'm amazed there hasn't been a goalie hurt yet doing shootouts. At least I don't know of any.

It's ridiculous to play a game for all of regulation and OT and then literally play a different game (shootout) to determine who wins or losses the original game.

It would be like MLB playing 9 innings and two teams are tied 2-2. They play one extra inning, the 10th, and it's still tied 2-2. Well, time to quit playing baseball. Let's have a home run hitting contest. Each player gets one swing. You get 3 players like the shootout. Whoever losses the home run contest still gets 1/2 win.

Or, the NFL could have field goal kicking contests for OT.

The shootout is absurd, end of story.
Ha ha...that is the absolute best way I have ever heard it described. Well done!

P.S, Now I finally have a good argument to use against all my friends that say the shootout is just so "cool" and that I'm just mad because we suck at it.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

They should have a slug fest. Last player standing = team win.

It is as arbitrary as a shootout.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
execwrite

Second half has 22 road games and 19 home.

To duplicate first half, (24-12-5, 53 points) Blues would need something like

10-10-2 on the road, 14-2-3 at home.

Every extra road game they can win would mean one less home win needed.

They can do it.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote