HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Rockford's BMO Harris Bank Center 5th best stadium in minor/junior hockey

Old
02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
Rockford's BMO Harris Bank Center 5th best stadium in minor/junior hockey

According to the website Stadium Journal, The IceHogs' BMO Harris Bank Center 5th best stadium in minor/junior hockey. (See article here.)

Their score out of 5 was a 3.9. Some of the other AHL scores according to the website...

Grand Rapids - 4.6
Lake Erie - 3.7
Houston - 3.6
Connecticut - 3.3
Manchester - 3.1
WBS - 3.1
Toronto - 3.0
Chicago - 2.9
Worcester - 2.9
Peoria - 2.7

There were more places reviewed, so you'll have to go the site for more details. I don't want to put them all here. They also appear to rate other leagues, too.

02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
cjerina

Good one. Nice to see Milwaukee and Chicago both receive low scores due to lack of crowd, especially considering the Chicago game was a Wednesday game (by his citing of the Hungry Hungry Hump Day contest)

Not sure how Rockford got higher food ratings than Milwaukee, as I refuse to eat at the arena in Rockford yet haven't gone wrong in Milwaukee lately.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 08:06 PM
adsfan

I have never been down to Rockford for a game. I know that the arena was renovated in recent years versus the Bradley Center opening in 1988 with only minor changes since that time.

cjerina is correct, they have a good variety of good food at the Bradley Center. Rochester, for example, seems to have a lot fewer food stands and variety. On the other hand, I have never seen so many beer stands in my life at a sports facility as at the Blue Cross Arena. They may have more than Miller Park!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 06:48 AM

The only issue I have with Worcester's rating is the his rating on the crowd. It looks like he went there on a Sunday before Christmas, so there's a good chance the game was opposite the New England Patriots...we're lucky there's anyone in the building on those days.

He had one other line:
Quote:
Otherwise, the usual arena food can be found at the arena, though I did not see any burgers
He didn't look hard as they're sold in several stands, including the stand he specifically mentions later in the same paragraph.

But other than that I don't think there's too much to argue with in it.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/dcu-center-s863

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Having a read a couple, the guy seems pretty observant, but it is pretty clear he knows nothing about attendance patterns in the AHL. It is hard to rate a crowd between teams when you go to some stadiums on known bad days (weekdays, opposite the NFL) and good days (primarily Saturday). You get a skewed view.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:10 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Never been to a game at Rockford, but have a hard time imagining the Wolves ranked that lowly. The atmosphere at their weekend games are usually awesome, though can't speak for their weekday games. Does seem idiotic to compare weekday and weekend games for the minor league, after all.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Having a read a couple, the guy seems pretty observant, but it is pretty clear he knows nothing about attendance patterns in the AHL. It is hard to rate a crowd between teams when you go to some stadiums on known bad days (weekdays, opposite the NFL) and good days (primarily Saturday). You get a skewed view.
I agree Majik. I like to visit a place 2 or 3 times before I decide on everything.

For example, in Milwaukee he complained about $10 parking. While that is true for the three lots/garages adjacent to the Bradley Center, two blocks away you can park on the street for free on weekends and one more block away is a garage for 75 cents an hour ($2.25 most games).

Old
02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
IceHog1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Not sure how Rockford got higher food ratings than Milwaukee, as I refuse to eat at the arena in Rockford yet haven't gone wrong in Milwaukee lately.
How can you question this when haven't eaten at Rockford and haven't been to Milwaukee lately?
Rockford has good food at reasonable prices, don't knock it until you try it.

IceHog1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:08 PM
leoleo3535

Hard to take much from this when they have only visited and reviewed such a small sampling of arenas.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Hard to take them seriously when this was one of their first sentences for the Bucks.

Quote:
it has the feel of an outdated venue, while still providing excellent sightlines from anywhere in the building.
I would guess half the seats at the Bradley Center absolutely suck for basketball.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHog1962 View Post
How can you question this when haven't eaten at Rockford and haven't been to Milwaukee lately?
Rockford has good food at reasonable prices, don't knock it until you try it.

Where did I say I haven't been to Milwaukee lately? I've been to every home game for the Admirals this calendar year along with going to Rockford 2 weeks ago. I did state that I haven't gone wrong in the choosing food at the BC, in that, the food has been outstanding regardless of what I've eaten.

Maybe the food in Rockford has improved, but visually nothing has changed for the Panninos offerings or the typical arena fare. The last time I ordered something from Pannino's, half of the stuff fell onto the plate, while the hot dogs were rubbery the time I tried them. The BBQ could be good, but I prefer not to make a mess of myself in public.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
IceHog1962

Sorry, I missed the word 'wrong' in the post. Sometime I'll make it to other arenas besides the BMO, the United Center and the All State Arena.

IceHog1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I have never been down to Rockford for a game. I know that the arena was renovated in recent years versus the Bradley Center opening in 1988 with only minor changes since that time.

cjerina is correct, they have a good variety of good food at the Bradley Center. Rochester, for example, seems to have a lot fewer food stands and variety. On the other hand, I have never seen so many beer stands in my life at a sports facility as at the Blue Cross Arena. They may have more than Miller Park!
Two things:

1. As far as the food goes, they used to have an area in the atrium past the ticket checkers that made DAMNED good(and immense)burritos. I've gone to a few Knighthawks games(they're the city's lacrosse team)in the past and always enjoyed it...until I found out one day they didn't have any. I was bummed out. Hopefully, that's something Amerk owner Terry Pegula will fix in the near future. (I do plan on making it to Rochester soon to offer my own views on the food.)

2. For the beer: What can I say? Rochester loves them their Genny beer!

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
Two things:

1. As far as the food goes, they used to have an area in the atrium past the ticket checkers that made DAMNED good(and immense)burritos. I've gone to a few Knighthawks games(they're the city's lacrosse team)in the past and always enjoyed it...until I found out one day they didn't have any. I was bummed out. Hopefully, that's something Amerk owner Terry Pegula will fix in the near future. (I do plan on making it to Rochester soon to offer my own views on the food.)

2. For the beer: What can I say? Rochester loves them their Genny beer!
They love Molson and Yuengling too, as I recall.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Badger36

Ive been to Rockford and Milwaukee for AHL games and the BMO Harris Banker Center (Rockford) is a nice little arena.
The Bradley Center is...well....the Bradley Center. Its old, its run down and it needs to be renovated. The Bradley Center was a great building when it was first built but that was a long time ago.
As for food, the food at the Bradley Center is downright horrible.
Honestly, the Kohl Center and Resch Center are far superior to the Bradley Center, IMO.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:33 PM
axecrew

Well after having gone to rockford to see a game last night, I can honestly say that the writer must have some great drugs!!!!
The building is a dump and the food tasted like it was WWII surplus. There is nothing good that I can say about the place, renovations or not. Probably the most boring time I have ever had at a hockey game, the fans around me were so unknowledgable is wasn't even funny, wondering why they waved off icing during a power play???

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:23 AM
sabrefan27

I stopped taking this idiot seriously when he wrote that the Amerks' logo/uniform could use some "fresh ideas".

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Lurch

vCash: 85
Looks like I need to travel to some other minor league rinks. Hershey didn't make the list? Every Saturday is sold out for the rest of the year and tonight's game had 10,500. Food is stadium food, but they have lots of options. Lots of microbrews available and the area is is great shape. I thought we had it good in Hershey!

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Looks like I need to travel to some other minor league rinks. Hershey didn't make the list? Every Saturday is sold out for the rest of the year and tonight's game had 10,500. Food is stadium food, but they have lots of options. Lots of microbrews available and the area is is great shape. I thought we had it good in Hershey!
No, Hershey was reviewed. I just didn't post the score here. You'll have to go to the website to read the review.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Well after having gone to rockford to see a game last night, I can honestly say that the writer must have some great drugs!!!!
The building is a dump and the food tasted like it was WWII surplus. There is nothing good that I can say about the place, renovations or not. Probably the most boring time I have ever had at a hockey game, the fans around me were so unknowledgable is wasn't even funny, wondering why they waved off icing during a power play???
This clown must have attended Rockford's arena back in the Martinson days when they had a lively atmosphere due to the gong show that was Billy Tibbets, Bruce Watson and Robin Big Snake.

That's why you found the fans to not be so bright axe, they are from the Martinaon school of hockey.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote