HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Quiet at FNC During Sabres Games

Old
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 500
I can't make it to the arena as much as I would like living 3 plus hours away but the thing I notice when I go is all the women chit chatting with each other and men and women both glued to their phones.

Seems more like a social event than a sporting event. I find that disappointing.

Ultimately, the players are right. The fans at FNC just are not into the game.

Winning or losing.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I've been disappointed with gameday production since BTG took over. It's just been poor. I've attended a couple games at TD Garden now when I've been in town, and they have it down. They're working the crowd from warmups until the final horn constantly. No breaks.

It's just a crazy in there for a weekend game as it is on a Tuesday night. I hate to give Boston any credit for anything, but they do it right up there.
This is so true. I understand the mindset of "**** you guys, play better" but the in house production needs to be better.

And I know there are about 4x as many people there, but people at the Ralph have no problem getting loud for a team that has been ****** for a decade. There is a black hole of suck in that arena that only a trade or two and playoff round victory will fix. What is sad is that I think a good chunk of the league would be thrilled to have had the success this team has had post lockout. *

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
This amuses me. The blooper real is during tv timeouts and usually in the 2nd period. RARELY do we have a big hit or a ****ing fight in the game let alone RIGHT before the blooper reel.
That was one small example I provided. The basic idea is that their in-game presentation is terrible. If you disagree then you probably haven't been to a game in another arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Seriously people need to quit crying about the blooper reel. If they did the best hit in history its going to make fans cheer for 15 seconds before the team goes back to the same awful in game play.
Exactly, and you're proving my point. It's the job of the people who run the in-game production to take that 15 seconds of excitement and extend it.

THere is not enough in simple game play to keep fans amped up for a full 60 minutes, the entire point of the in-game production is to harness those events and the energy from the fans and expand/extend it.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Edit: That or crotch turds. Definitely crotch turds. Can we make this thread about crotch turds?
How much trouble will I be in when I go home tonight and call my 6-month old a "precious crotch turd"?

Stay tuned to find out...

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The place was a library for most of the division-winning season in 2009-10 when the team was 25-10-6 at home, too, so I don't think it's as exclusively about winning as some would like to believe. I think it's a confluence of factors, IMO:

-Team isn't playing well at home.
-Community does not like the makeup of this core.
-Game presentation sucks and can't keep people engaged.
-Cynical, pessimistic, "What's going to happen to us this time?" mindset that is dyed into the fabric of WNYers--if you don't think Black is spot-on about this, I think you're crazy.

There are many others, but I'm sure people will come after me hard even for the last one, so I'll stop there. We just don't have good crowds.
This.

Especially bullets #2 & #4.

I think another issue could be the ticket prices and the effect that has on the people that go to games.

Yes, Sabres tickets are on the low end of ticket prices league-wide. However, that doesn't mean that they are affordable for a lot of fans.

I haven't been to a game in years because prices for single game tickets have priced me out of the market. I wonder how much that factors into things, as well.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

We can make up as many excuses as we want, but the Buffalo Bills aren't exactly

a) good
b) inspiring
c) on the cutting edge of game day proudction

it's just something about that regular crowd that goes to games. The 10,000 or so STH that tend to be older couples in their 30s-50s who go there, chill, drink a couple beers, and often times take their kids.

Then you have the younger people in the 300's who make noise all game long because they can only afford to go to a Sabres game once a year.

I always sit in the 100's (or club level) when I go to games (which means I almost never go ) and it's just a graveyard down there. Most of the time they just groan and complain about any mistake, just like this message board, myself included.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Look at the cynicism on these boards right now. Then, multiply it by 17,000 (take away 1,690 for kids and people who don't know what hockey is) and you get the Buffalo crowd.

Edit: That or crotch turds. Definitely crotch turds. Can we make this thread about crotch turds?
Well I HEARD there is some steamy action going on up in the student surge section, and those kids probably aren't using protection. So there definitely could be some new crotch turds on the scene soon.

But they're only 300-level crotch turds. They will grow up looking down at the 100-level crotch turds and know that they will never be able to sit down there. Damn 1%.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Wow, this thread became a "vent about the team" thread quick.

To be honest, I agree with the players. They were asked what they thought, and they answered. I'm sure they realize it's their own damn fault they suck, not the crowd's.

The atmosphere is God awful this year. It's weird - I thought the FN Center would be rocking this year, but so far it's been like a tea party almost every night. I know the team hasn't exactly been scintillating, but it's getting embarrassing, to be honest.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Sour topic because of our many STH's, but the building looks and sounds dead most every game night for the past 3 seasons. That's it. It has no bearing on the players or how they should play, because you know damn well that the crowd gets up and excited for successful/watchable hockey.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
That was one small example I provided. The basic idea is that their in-game presentation is terrible. If you disagree then you probably haven't been to a game in another arena.

Exactly, and you're proving my point. It's the job of the people who run the in-game production to take that 15 seconds of excitement and extend it.

THere is not enough in simple game play to keep fans amped up for a full 60 minutes, the entire point of the in-game production is to harness those events and the energy from the fans and expand/extend it.
I've been to Boston 3 times, Carolina game 5 in 06, Columbus, Isles, Pitt 2x, and Philly. I guess I don't really pay attention to if its the music, videos or what that gets the crowd going. I just know that they were usually pretty loud.

My theory is that as a "Hockey City" fans should want to cheer. I have seasons and anytime I try to start a "Lets Go Buffalo" chant in 319 I get looked at cross eyed. Been that way for a few years now. One time I got yelled at IN THE PLAYOFFS because I was trying to get people to cheer. Pretty lame actually.

Personally I just think its more to do with the people in the seats, and the team on the ice than anything else. People shouldn't have to rely on a song or a video to make them cheer. Either they should want to or the team's game should make them. Thats my opinion anyways. Having 16k season ticket holders who see the same thing night in and night out can't make them too enthusiastic. Its not like its a new fan in a new seat every night...

Last edited by S319R11S16: 01-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Oh, and Leino is a ****ing idiot ********* **********. God damn, it only took me 3 months to wish for his departure

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
We can make up as many excuses as we want, but the Buffalo Bills aren't exactly...
I'd submit that there's a huge difference between NFL and NHL game-goers. Probably not fair to do a direct comparison.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The place was a library for most of the division-winning season in 2009-10 when the team was 25-10-6 at home, too, so I don't think it's as exclusively about winning as some would like to believe. I think it's a confluence of factors, IMO:

-Team isn't playing well at home.
-Community does not like the makeup of this core.
-Game presentation sucks and can't keep people engaged.
-Cynical, pessimistic, "What's going to happen to us this time?" mindset that is dyed into the fabric of WNYers--if you don't think Black is spot-on about this, I think you're crazy.

There are many others, but I'm sure people will come after me hard even for the last one, so I'll stop there. We just don't have good crowds.
That team was ridiculously boring though. The crowd was fine when they were a forechecking team early in the year, but as things progressed and it was obvious they were just collapsing around the best goalie in the league at the time and riding whichever one line was hot enough to score 2-3 goals, people stopped being excited. The flaws in that roster were very obvious.

I don't wanna sound like I'm in favor of gooning it up, a-la 95/96, but if guys actually dropped the gloves instead of shoving with the linesman in between them, and if the team reacted when guys did step out of their comfort zone (this screams Stafford against Ottawa after Ehrhoff came out of nowhere), the problem might fix itself. Just play with a little emotion. Throw a check. Drop the gloves. Oh wait, that's not "the system."

Also, making game presentation less tacky, family friendly and more gritty and old-time-y might help things in and of itself. If the players don't like the atmosphere of the arena, the fans prolly don't either. Take note Teddy.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
hizzoner

Every year I give away tickets to my family as presents for birthdays, Christmas etc.. I have given away 12 tickets this year and to people who really wanted them. The feedback--less than overwhelming. Indeed in one case the kids (hockey fans-neice and nephew aged 12 and 14) were ok with leaving early in the third period with Buffalo losing and the game a stinker. I think I got my crossword done while watching that game. Most of my tickets are in the new year and I will go a few times with my son and will take my grand children (9 and 6) to their first game--only because with the drive my daughter in law does not want the kids out late. They watch on tv so I will be interested to see their reaction. I always get Sabres merchandise and always have dinner in Buffalo when I go and I give the kids money to eat out and buy stuff when they go---(nieces and nephews galore)-but how long I do this will depend on me getting something out of going to the game or getting positive feedback from those that go.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
sk8haggard9

Maybe the team will make changes if we turn one of their open practices into "Occupy First Niagara Center." Just hold a massive, legit sit-in in the 100's section, obviously staying far beyond the practice time. Terry and Ted would definitely listen as it got closer to game time and a couple thousand of their paid-for seats were taken up by unhappy fans.

Oh man, a dude can dream about change can't he??? lol

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:13 PM
DixonWard15

The Sabres/NHL have intentionally priced out the loud drunk fans and have replaced them with a higher class/white collar fan that is willing to spend more on better food/drink. It is happening in every sport as owners try to squeeze more money out of their fanbase.

As a result you get crowds that are there with clients and are conducting business during the game.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Do people really think the players are making excuses?

They have to face the media. They are going to get asked about things. What are they supposed to say?

"The crowd is great" -- Blatant lie
"The crowd is ok, we need to be better though" -- they said that
"The crowd sucks" -- The truth

They were asked, they gave their opinion. It's not excuses, it's just answering questions.

I think people read in players answers to media too much.

----

As far as 06-07, I was at the Montreal home opener and the Atlanta home game in which they lost in the SO. Those crowds were AMAZING. It was defeaning inside the arena during points of both games.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
fing0rz

I'm sure the average ticket price going up with the average salary in buffalo staying the same (going down?) Has something to do with it.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
omglolnub

On the plus side, you don't hear about Sabres fans beating the **** out of opposing team fans before/after games *cough*Filthadelphia*cough*

Sorry, fighting off the last of a cold here.

omglolnub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fing0rz View Post
I'm sure the average ticket price going up with the average salary in buffalo staying the same (going down?) Has something to do with it.
Um, ok.

Tickets are still selling. The building is still full every night. What's your point?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Look at the cynicism on these boards right now. Then, multiply it by 17,000 (take away 1,690 for kids and people who don't know what hockey is) and you get the Buffalo crowd.

If I didn't like my username so much, I'd change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I'd submit that there's a huge difference between NFL and NHL game-goers. Probably not fair to do a direct comparison.
Yes, it's called Blood-Alcohol-Content, or BAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Every year I give away tickets to my family as presents for birthdays, Christmas etc.. I have given away 12 tickets this year and to people who really wanted them. The feedback--less than overwhelming. Indeed in one case the kids (hockey fans-neice and nephew aged 12 and 14) were ok with leaving early in the third period with Buffalo losing and the game a stinker. I think I got my crossword done while watching that game. Most of my tickets are in the new year and I will go a few times with my son and will take my grand children (9 and 6) to their first game--only because with the drive my daughter in law does not want the kids out late. They watch on tv so I will be interested to see their reaction. I always get Sabres merchandise and always have dinner in Buffalo when I go and I give the kids money to eat out and buy stuff when they go---(nieces and nephews galore)-but how long I do this will depend on me getting something out of going to the game or getting positive feedback from those that go.
<internet equivalent of puppy-in-the-window-look>
I have few family back in BUF anymore.
I need adopting.
I'll help with your crosswords, take your car to Delta-Sonic, etc.,

Last edited by brian_griffin: 01-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
fing0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Um, ok.

Tickets are still selling. The building is still full every night. What's your point?

It causes a different type of crowd (older, less loud, looking more for a night out rather then a game)

When the 20s and 30s year olds get priced out of the game, you get quieter crowd.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Disenfranchised*

I don't know why they are surprised. It's been obvious that Buffalo has been sick of the "core" for years now. An example of how different GM's do business, one wins cups the other one doesn't. Murray for the Ducks said it's time to change the core, he put everyone on the block with a no trade clause(YES THAT INCLUDES Ryan Getzlaf, and Corey Perry). But our GM won't trade Derek Roy and Drew Stafford? What a joke this guy is no wonder the arena's atmosphere sucks. Get a clue the fans think these players blow and quite honestly there are never any great plays made, they don't hit, they don't fight they are like a dull trapping team from the 90's.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
funkymag77

First Niagara Library

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I have to admit, watching every game from my living room due to my geographic location, things do not look good. The crowd is often so noticeably quiet on TV that you feel a pin drop could be heard. I realize that its probably a bit louder in person but when compared to pretty much every other arena, the FN Center is a ghost town.

CarlWinslow is online now   Reply With Quote