HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barch suspended one game

Old
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
p9ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I doubt this ruins Barch's career.

I think most reasonable people see this for what it is.
I hope. It's still not good for a fringe 4th liner.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
PBPantherfan
#CatsAreComing

Clip of an interview from TSN

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip596115#clip596115

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
KW

I still think after all facts came out that the most culpable is the ref for false judgment, the second most at fault is Cole for false witness, the third culprit is the league for not burying it faster, and the least culpable is Barch. Who got the shaft? Barch. What did the other three get? Nothing.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Watching 24/7

Bryzgolov curses in front of media, drops f bomb.

Very insensitive. 2 games?

Someone called a player the *** ugliest player in the league....4 games.

Oh oh,someone called anisimov a *** piece of crap....very insulting...10 games.

Point is you cant police this during games, and you cant have linesman play that role....a pathetic precedent was set here and a slippery slope laid out.

Last edited by adam graves: 01-05-2012 at 10:52 PM.
adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:25 AM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
This. Every single one of you on here saying that Barch shouldn't have made the banana peel joke because Subban is black is advocating he treat him differently because he is black. That's racist. You all look at PK Subban and see a black NHL'er to be treated differently so as not to offend him. Krys Barch sees him as another NHL'er to be a total ass to to try and get under his skin. Which of those is racist it sure isn't Barch. Still can't believe he got a game misconduct and another game. Colin Campbell is a moron.
One of the best quotes of this thread.

/discussion

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:52 AM
PanthersRule96

Even the anonymous teammate on the panthers was quoted as saying he picked a bad choice of words.......I'm going to trust an NHLer/teammate who has heard all the chirps out there over anyone on here. Not a big deal, the ordeal is over now.

You can say a lot of things out there, but when you get stupid about it and bring things in that could be misconstrued, like Barch did, you subject yourself to these criticisms. Not one NHL player would go out there and say "oh, that's just another thing said in the heat of the moment." There's a reason it's different than calling someone ugly or bad.

And with the way people talk crap to each other in games, the banana peel reference isn't some often used term that just happened to be said to the wrong guy. I'm against affirmative action and many race-dependent handicaps, but what Barch did was stupid at best and the fact that it got out into the public made it so he had to be fined or suspended to save face.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscott View Post
The suspension doesn't merit that it was racist. The NHL said that if it was found to be racist he would of got 7-10 games.

The question is if it wasn't a racist comment then why did he get suspended? What is inappropriate about a banana peel?
It reminds me of the "tripping/diving" paired penalties. If a player gets 2 min for "unsportsmanlike/diving" then why does the other player get a tripping call? If he dove, then there was no trip, and if there was a trip, then he didn't dive.
Also. Whether it was a racial slur or not, how does anyone know whether or not Subban made a racial slur towards Barich first? Maybe it was a retaliation type of slur because Subban made a remark first. You never know.

I do agree however, that the penalty was ridiculous. No one, not even Subban, heard the comment except the linesman. No one on either team heard him say anything racial and yet he got a game misconduct during that game, and an extra game.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Erick*

Shouldn't Erik Cole get a suspension, too?

I've never liked Erik Cole and I now like him less. He "hears" something that wasn't even close to what Barch said. His insult that wasn't even close to what was said is just as "racist" as what Barch said.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Of course he knew he was black, don't be ridiculous. And that's NOT what I was saying at all...horrible try.
uh... it wasn't a try, that is *exactly* what you said.

Quote:
They're being overly careful. I understand that. However, Barch and the NHLPA have a case to fight this should they choose to, but I'm sure it'll be let go.

Sorry, again not really, but the punishment that game should have sufficed enough. He wasn't allowed back after the first period. Time served, this is overkill.
you're right - they are being overly careful. and given the danger or erring on the other side, i and most other folks in the business around the league don't seem to have a problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Zero thinks Tallon is wrong, though...apparently.
just noting that your arrogant one word answers like "nope" "wrong" are just as off-putting as anything anyone else says. you think you're always right too and you can be stubborn as any other stubborn person here when it comes right down to it.

tallon isn't infallible. however, he's right here. it's been blown out of proportion. we're just having a discussion here, one which is purely academic at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
This. Every single one of you on here saying that Barch shouldn't have made the banana peel joke because Subban is black is advocating he treat him differently because he is black. That's racist. You all look at PK Subban and see a black NHL'er to be treated differently so as not to offend him. Krys Barch sees him as another NHL'er to be a total ass to to try and get under his skin. Which of those is racist it sure isn't Barch. Still can't believe he got a game misconduct and another game. Colin Campbell is a moron.
simply being sensitive and avoiding the use of a word with obvious racial undertones in a situation like this doesn't equate to being racist.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post

I've never liked Erik Cole and I now like him less. He "hears" something that wasn't even close to what Barch said. His insult that wasn't even close to what was said is just as "racist" as what Barch said.
is THAT where his jamaican mom came into the picture?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
jol

Quote:

Ok, i guess first we would have to know what Barch said.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

From Flakov today:

While my source told me what Barch said Norton put it into better context for Kevin Allen of USA Today. When Barch yelled, “Hey, P.K. did you slip on a banana peel?” he was questioning Subban’s courage, not his ethnicity because he felt Subban went right down to the ice as soon as Erik Gudbranson touched him to avoid a fight with the husky 19-year-old. Norton felt the league should’ve put out a stronger statement in saying that Barch meant no racial intent and I agree.
Barch didn’t want to repeat what he said because other parts of the comment contained colorful language (putdown ranks that occur in every sport) that his grandmother wouldn’t want to see, and I respect that. Another player told me that linesman has cursed him out before.

Cant get clearer, and i believe the league has opened them up to a defamation action; which Barch would never pursue because he just wants it behind him.
Don't worry Krys, the fans there Monday will be behind you.

/done.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:26 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
From Flakov today:

While my source told me what Barch said Norton put it into better context for Kevin Allen of USA Today. When Barch yelled, “Hey, P.K. did you slip on a banana peel?” he was questioning Subban’s courage, not his ethnicity because he felt Subban went right down to the ice as soon as Erik Gudbranson touched him to avoid a fight with the husky 19-year-old. Norton felt the league should’ve put out a stronger statement in saying that Barch meant no racial intent and I agree.
Barch didn’t want to repeat what he said because other parts of the comment contained colorful language (putdown ranks that occur in every sport) that his grandmother wouldn’t want to see, and I respect that. Another player told me that linesman has cursed him out before.

Cant get clearer, and i believe the league has opened them up to a defamation action; which Barch would never pursue because he just wants it behind him.

/done.
Really!

I think its a poor suspension, really low of the NHL.

I agree with those saying to play mommy to PK is to be far more racist. "Go easy on him...he's....black"
He's part of our hockey family, nobody dislikes him for his skin color. I can't believe that after all the stand up routines on Comedy Central and BET, and the success of Russell Peters, this is still actually an issue!

A damn banana peel.

<<<how is this guy's naked ass offensive to PK anyway??

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Tuco

I for sure am behind you Krys!

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:42 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
If this remains a relevant topic for the next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see bananas thrown on the ice when Montreal visits the BAC in February.

And if that happens, it's the NHL's fault for exacerbating an incident that even Subban couldn't care less about. Talk about overreaction.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
uh... it wasn't a try, that is *exactly* what you said.
*NO* it was not. Again, that's ridiculous, not surprised you're going to the extreme. That's what you do.

Quote:
you're right - they are being overly careful. and given the danger or erring on the other side, i and most other folks in the business around the league don't seem to have a problem with it.
Most folks round here do, and I didn't know you were in the business to get others' reactions.

Quote:
just noting that your arrogant one word answers like "nope" "wrong" are just as off-putting as anything anyone else says. you think you're always right too and you can be stubborn as any other stubborn person here when it comes right down to it.
From you? That one's rich. More say that about you than they do me, far more, actually. And yes, when it comes to the likes of you and a few others, I am more forceful in my posts. It's been earned.

Quote:
tallon isn't infallible. however, he's right here. it's been blown out of proportion. we're just having a discussion here, one which is purely academic at this point
He's in the business...and it's been blown out of proportion. The comment, you seem to think the reaction has been. Again, not surprised.

Quote:
simply being sensitive and avoiding the use of a word with obvious racial undertones in a situation like this doesn't equate to being racist.
Or, ya grow up and realize he was actually attacking his courage, as seen in the quote below (which was/is? available on TSN via his own voice), not his color. Daley sure rallied around Barch, a guy who's experienced racism to a pretty tough degree. They don't have an issue, neither should you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
From Flakov today:

/done.
What I was arguing was his intention all along. Doesn't matter his color, he was talking to a player. Don't twist my words again, Zero, please. Especially in such a nonsensical way.

01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
If this remains a relevant topic for the next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see bananas thrown on the ice when Montreal visits the BAC in February.

And if that happens, it's the NHL's fault for exacerbating an incident that even Subban couldn't care less about. Talk about overreaction.
Should throw em at the officials though. Not saying you're saying so, but PK sure as **** doesn't deserve it.

Twas the lineman who should be reprimanded for turning it into something racial. Shouldn't the guy who thought to make it a black thing be punished? Why the hell should a referee not have to face the same consequences as the players? Because it was in good interest?

In almost 26 years, I don't think I've even seen a black person eating a banana.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
PBPantherfan
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

Yes it is if it is something completely innocent like this was. Slipping on a banana peel isn't in any way shape or form racist. My dad was about as racist as you could be. One of the funnier things I ever saw was him trying to tell a black guy something was black. He hemmed and hawed using every color and description except black. If you asked PK would he rather get made fun of for "slipping on a banana peel" or have someone not use that term for fear of offending him what do you think he would choose?

Old
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Erick*

I think there's a racial connotation, but I still find the suspension to be stupid. Subban didn't even hear it, and it wasn't anything specific like using the N-word or something. Stuff is said on the ice that is way more insulting and players don't receive suspensions for it.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
PBPantherfan
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I think there's a racial connotation, but I still find the suspension to be stupid. Subban didn't even hear it, and it wasn't anything specific like using the N-word or something. Stuff is said on the ice that is way more insulting and players don't receive suspensions for it.
Not denying banana can have racial connotations but so can Canadian. They going to suspend people for saying that? LOL The thought of that with PK being Canadian while playing for the Canadians now that would be a mess. If you never heard of it this link explains it. They'd have to suspend the whole league.

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.c...cial-slur.html