HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Our chance at a BIG #1 center! (Anaheim making players available)

Old
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
You guys have to realize there's possibly 28 other teams that are going to be in the bidding, and with potential switcharoo's like Getzlaf + for Staal +, our packages don't even come close. (ie: pleks+ 1st+ unproven prospect...etc). Anaheim does not need to be taking back 5+ million on players that they do not see going forward into the future. I personally believe we should all just take a step back instead of jumping on every ****en player that is rumored to be available.
I mean I hope PG has at least made the calls, but giving up half our team for one guy who is exactly what we don't need to do, unless that one guy is a concussion-free Crosby or something.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seblar09 View Post
GM of the Ducks said in the medias that all ducks players are available for trade except Koivu and Selanne (NTC) . So, who should we be targeting and what would be the package offered ?

For my part, I would target Getzlaf hard and my offer is:

To MTL : Getzlaf

To Ducks : Plekanec , Weber , Kristo , 1st pick 2013

I'm not sure if it would be fair from both pov but that's what I would offer for him.

Different ideas? Different needs?
If you're considering whether or not the offer is 'fair' than you have no intention of actually acquiring Getzlaf. You certainly aren't 'targetting him hard' by trading the player you are upgrading by getting Getzlaf and a couple of prospects that you don't really want anymore anyway. And a first from next year rather than this.

Fair doesn't come into it. Think of an offer that you think is a pretty bad overpayment and then you might be somewhere in the area.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
merlin

As mentioned a few posts above, Getzlaf and Perry are UFAs at the end of the year, so no guarantees we keep them.

You don't give-up Pelks, Tinordi, Weber and the 2012 1st for a guy who could walk in July. That would seriously cripple the franchise.

A signed Getzlaf or Perry is work a lot more than them being UFAs this summer.

No way I would do this type of trade.....

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Milhouse40

Well, if we believe in rumors....players like Staal, Carter, Nash, Iginla, Stastny might be available....don't you think ANA could grab one of these player for Getzlaf????

The Habs is not the only team in the league
Others will want to get their hand on the big center.

If the habs want to make a pitch for Getzlaf
You'll have to throw some players that the habs would like to keep.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jakomyte

Anyone else find it comical to think of a trade surrounding Getzlaf/Plekanec would give the Ducks a top 2 C of Plekanec/Koivu.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
As mentioned a few posts above, Getzlaf and Perry are UFAs at the end of the year, so no guarantees we keep them.

You don't give-up Pelks, Tinordi, Weber and the 2012 1st for a guy who could walk in July. That would seriously cripple the franchise.

They're UFA in 2013, they're signed for another year...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Corncob

Quote:

Both of them are signed through next season....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Anyone else find it comical to think of a trade surrounding Getzlaf/Plekanec would give the Ducks a top 2 C of Plekanec/Koivu.
Two number 2 centers...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Well, if we believe in rumors....players like Staal, Carter, Nash, Iginla, Stastny might be available....don't you think ANA could grab one of these player for Getzlaf????

The Habs is not the only team in the league
Others will want to get their hand on the big center.

If the habs want to make a pitch for Getzlaf
You'll have to throw some players that the habs would like to keep.
Staal is too expensive for them, Carter and Plekanec are pretty equal, Nash too expensive, Iginla too old... Stastny more expensive and not that much better.

Plekanec is a very interesting player for them. Centering Perry and Ryan, Plekanec would be near a ppg player.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I'll take Getzlaf for some of the offers in this thread... But if we consider the add-ons as garbage, they probably do to... I think the price will be extremely steep.

What's Getzlaf? He's a big, gritty passer. He never had more than 25 goals in a season. His 91 point season, he had Niedermayer and Pronger manning the PP and Perry, Ryan, or Selanne to finish off all his plays... A very far cry from the support staff he'll have in Montreal... It's possible to land Getzlaf and become an even worse team than we are right now (look at Anaheim)...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I'll take Getzlaf for some of the offers in this thread... But if we consider the add-ons as garbage, they probably do to... I think the price will be extremely steep.

What's Getzlaf? He's a big, gritty passer. He never had more than 25 goals in a season. His 91 point season, he had Niedermayer and Pronger manning the PP and Perry, Ryan, or Selanne to finish off all his plays... A very far cry from the support staff he'll have in Montreal... It's possible to land Getzlaf and become an even worse team than we are right now (look at Anaheim)...
Cammaleri, Pacioretty and Cole aren't scrubs...

And why stopping there ? Radulov is very interesting, Parise might be available this summer, our top pick should be talented, etc.

Getzlaf is excatly what this team needs to build a championship team.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Cammaleri, Pacioretty and Cole aren't scrubs...

And why stopping there ? Radulov is very interesting, Parise might be available this summer, our top pick should be talented, etc.

Getzlaf is excatly what this team needs to build a championship team.
If I look at the offers in this thread some of those players could be going the other way.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
And after that their last move would be to send Ryan to Dallas for Ribeiro. I'm sure they would all get along very well in Anaheim!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And after that their last move would be to send Ryan to Dallas for Ribeiro & Ryder. I'm sure they would all get along very well in Anaheim!!
Fixed.

Seriously though, while upgrading from Plekanec to Getzlaf would be a step in the right direction, I don't think its as much of an upgrade as others might think it is. What would be a real upgrade would be Adding Getzlaf to Plekanec & Eller to have those 3 as our top 3 centers. That would be the kind of center depth a team needs to succeed in the playoffs. Only problem there would be the huge cost of getting Getzlaf w/o trading Pleks or Eller, which means the deal would have to center around a player like Pacioretty or Subban.

My offer:

Getzlaf

for

Subban, Desharnais, Tinordi/Kristo, 2013 1st

Not sure if that would get it done, but I think I would do it. I know Subban is 'untouchable', but with the emergence of Diaz/Emelin, Weber available to at least fill his shoes to a certain degree, the (eventual) return of Markov, and a guy like Beaulieu coming through the system, I'd be willing to give him up to provide center depth of Getzlaf/Plekanec/Eller.

Last edited by Jakomyte: 01-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Perry and Getzlaf are signed till 2013 not 2012. Still a risk versus young players or Plekanec signed for 4+ years.

Ryan has 3+ years left.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Lebowski

Never been high on Getzlaf and I'll probably never be.

He's definitely not as good as some people around here think he is.

He's a passer who has played on a stacked 1st line for a few years now. Offensively, he's comparable to a guy like Brad Richards, and I don't think it's worth throwing away Plekanec, MacPac, 1st rounders, Tinordi and cie for him, even if some other teams would be willing to pay that sort of price.

It simply wouldn't make the Habs all that much better as a team, and if you think Getzlaf would be a 90 points player in Montréal, I doubt it. possibly slightly above PPG or in the mid 70's. Getzlaf is no Crosby, people. Not worth trading that many assets for a guy like him, I think.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Chris G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I mean I hope PG has at least made the calls, but giving up half our team for one guy who is exactly what we don't need to do, unless that one guy is a concussion-free Crosby or something.
Exactly, a rebuild is in order...and its been possibly overdue for 2+ years now. I feel building a team from the ground up is more essential then getting players to fill in certain roles we project them to fill, as we have not selected the right balance of players to have a successful team...we can't always blame injuries.

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
The real target in Anaheim

Cam Fowler

If they are really looking to move anyone how good would this kid look?
Could move some younger de men that are a couple years away and a pick.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
No way they move him.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Patty Roy

I think the Habs should be doing everything in their power to get a big #1 center in the coming months.

Sounds like Getzlaf really is available...Jeff Carter probably is too...maybe even Eric Staal but that one is less likely.

I would not hesitate to offer up Plekanec ++ to land one of these guys. In a perfect world you keep Pleks and he becomes an excellent #2 center, but i can't see any of these teams dealing one of their star centers for picks/prospects.

I would easily give up Plekanec, our 1st 2012 and a good prospect for Getzlaf. Not only would we be getting a big impact #1 centerman, but imagine what he might be able to do for a guy like Cammalleri?

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyingKostitsyn

They'd want Subban+, he's the only one they will consider getting on our team for Fowler. It would be a sideways move for us...

Everyone is available on Anaheim but I'm pretty sure their GM is going to accept only major overpayements for their main guys (especially young as Fowler).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
WestIslander

I don't see us landing Getlaf or Perry because it will have to start with Subban + Pacioretty and I don't want to trade them.

Untouchables for us should be: Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty, Eller, Leblanc, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu and this seasons first round draft pick which might be in the top 5 to 7 and can land us a franchise centre or forward.

So ask for Getzlaf and/or Perry with: Cammalleri, Gomez, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Desharnais, Moen, Markov, Gill, Campoli etc.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Exactly, a rebuild is in order...and its been possibly overdue for 2+ years now. I feel building a team from the ground up is more essential then getting players to fill in certain roles we project them to fill, as we have not selected the right balance of players to have a successful team...we can't always blame injuries.
That's not going to happen in Montreal nor do i really believe its required.

I think this team has it in them to re-tool on the fly, the key is it needs to be done right.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Lucius

Ryan Getzlaf has to be everyone's target.

There are lots of kinds of players in the league and history has shown the single hardest one to find is a talented power center.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

So ask for Getzlaf and/or Perry with: Cammalleri, Gomez, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Desharnais, Moen, Markov, Gill, Campoli etc.
Ain't gonna work. Unless picks and prospects are packaged also.